MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2004-03-31, 01:00
blood_seeker
New Blood

Digitech metal master and NS-2 Help!

i just bought the Boss NS-2 and there is a problem because i tried to take away the hum off of my metal master but it doesnt unless i put the treshold all the way up and that just cuts my distortion off alot so i probably dont know how to use this pedal but i need help fixing this problem.

Old 2004-03-31, 04:56
seraphym
New Blood

Did you put the metal master in the loop of the boss pedal? I think that is how that one workes.

Personally I use the MXR Smart Gate M-105. Love the thing! No looping, just put it at the end of the chain. Or wherever depending on your taste.

Old 2004-03-31, 11:56
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

my other guitarist has one, he has it at: threshold max. decay min. it works great, he can still get feedback only when he wants it, and the best part is it doesnt affect his tone at all.
i use a hush super c rackmount, it does great, much better than the hush pedal although it costed almost three times as much.

Old 2004-04-01, 06:34
blood_seeker
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdislexicx
my other guitarist has one, he has it at: threshold max. decay min. it works great, he can still get feedback only when he wants it, and the best part is it doesnt affect his tone at all.
i use a hush super c rackmount, it does great, much better than the hush pedal although it costed almost three times as much.

Yeah but if i put the threshold on max it will just cut off my distortion pedal
but i will still have distortion but it will be weak

Old 2004-04-01, 07:22
MorbidGuitar
Post-whore

Its normal to have more feedback if your using a pedal like that. My junky metal zone pedal used to do that. On your amp do you use the clean channel with your ns2, or distortion?

Old 2004-04-01, 18:25
blood_seeker
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarenvy
Its normal to have more feedback if your using a pedal like that. My junky metal zone pedal used to do that. On your amp do you use the clean channel with your ns2, or distortion?

no i use the clean channel. but i need something that will take away the feedback and the NS-2 is not working and i need it when i play live at gigs
but i dont know how to use the return or send on the NS-2 maybe thats the problem but i need help from someone that has this pedal using the metal master

Old 2004-04-03, 11:52
Inearthed
New Blood

My first post here.. so hey...

If you're trying to use the NS-2 as a noise gate (that's what it sounds like you're doing) you should put it as the last thing before you go into the amp (or if its in an effects loop, the last thing in your effects loop). By doing this the NS-2 pedal should basically cut all signal coming from your guitar to the amp once you've stopped playing. Put it on the "Mute" setting and then put your "Decay" all the way down (if your decay is up it'll sound pretty bad especially if you do a lot of start / stop type riffs). The Threshold setting will just have to be played with since I don't own this pedal, but I have a feeling that its like my old Boss NF-1 Noise Gate's "Sensitivity" setting so you just have to dial in a balanced setting.. Try starting at 12:00 and turning one way, or the other until you get a setting you like... The pedal you have should definitely be doing the job and it should work good in a life situation. Just play around with the pedal a bit more.

If you start getting into the noise supression setting then you might get in trouble a lot faster because then the pedal will basically start adjusting your tone to make it less noisey.

Old 2004-04-18, 23:21
blood_seeker
New Blood

i need help from someone who has both of these pedals(Digitech Metal Master,boss NS-2) who are using it. and want to know the settings u use on the ns2 but does some one think that the guitar is the problem i have a cheap squier strat.thats causing all the noise when i use the NS-2 when treshold is not all the way on max.

if i put the treshold on max and decay on min the distortion loses some of its gain from the digitech pedal.

Old 2004-04-19, 00:04
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

sounds like you just need a new rig champ.

Old 2004-04-19, 22:52
Inearthed
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdislexicx
sounds like you just need a new rig champ.

Yep...

Assuming your Squire has single coil pickups in it then that's going to be a pretty big issue, its going to be noisey and you won't be able to get a really good straight up metal sound with that setup. The "hum" you're experiencing is probably from the single coil pickups, it just is a lot more noisey with distortion going.

Old 2004-04-20, 04:00
blood_seeker
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inearthed
Yep...

Assuming your Squire has single coil pickups in it then that's going to be a pretty big issue, its going to be noisey and you won't be able to get a really good straight up metal sound with that setup. The "hum" you're experiencing is probably from the single coil pickups, it just is a lot more noisey with distortion going.

yeah but the NS-2 supposed to take them hum away
and i tried a humbecker guitar at a guitar shop with the metal master and it still had hum but i didn't try it with the NS-2 at the same time

Old 2004-04-20, 09:12
Inearthed
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by blood_seeker
yeah but the NS-2 supposed to take them hum away
and i tried a humbecker guitar at a guitar shop with the metal master and it still had hum but i didn't try it with the NS-2 at the same time

The NS-2 can only do so much, especially with a guitar loaded with single coil pickups. I'd say try to back off on your distortion a bit on the metal master and maybe switch to the pickup setting that takes both the bridge / middle pickup (second from the bottom position). Stay away from things that will generate interference for your guitar (speakers, computer monitors, etc) and try to make the best of it..