MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > MetalTabs.com > Chit Chat

Old 2010-06-03, 09:36
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Thumbs up Put your hands up if you're a vinyl addict!

*puts left hand up* (holding beer in right)

So yeah, who's into vinyl here?

I was just wondering since I'm hooked to vinyl.

I know, it's not the most practical medium to store music on but it has a certain vibe that is just awesome.

Especially with music that was meant to be heard on vinyl, like the 1957 Louis Armstrong record I'm listening now. It sounds so much better then the digital version.

Don't get me wrong, I have an iPod and use it a lot. In my car, on my bike, in the train, everywhere. I have my computer hooked up with an optical cable to my amp with build-in DAC converter. Great way to listen to downloaded content. I rip all my CD's in FLAC or apple losless format for the best quality. It took me ages but I ripped all my cd's, those are now locked up in the basement.

Anyways, back to vinyl! I have a small collection (about 200 records) and I borrow records from my girlfriend, who has a fuckload of them. My own stuff ranges from very early Anthrax, DIO, Ratt to rock like Whitesnake, Van den Berg and some old jazz/blues.

I love finding places to buy vinyl, this week I walked into an store that sold used books and the guy had thousands of records in the back. Just stacked in boxes. I took an hour to search through a few of them and bought about ten records for two bucks a piece. I'll be back at that place again, that's for sure!

I'm currently listening to vinyl on a vintage Philips deck through a Marantz Pm75 amplifier and Linn Keilidh speakers.

So, who's into vinyl? What stuff do you listen? And what gear do you use?

Old 2010-06-03, 09:47
Wolfsherz
Post-whore

YYYYYYYYYYYES

Aosoth - New album III out now on Agonia Recs
Epoch - bass, guitars, drums, MetaStasizing out asap
Asphixa - bass, demo out asap
Adustum - bass, guitars, full length out soon on XXXXXXXXXX recs

Quote:
Originally Posted by far_beyond_sane
Tetianblood? ... Well, 'Necrosemen' to you too. Twat.

Old 2010-06-03, 10:31
Amadeus
Quantum.

Hand in the air.

The crown jewels probably are da original Black Sabbath and recordings of Serenade 13 by Mozart and La forza del destino Overture by Verdi conducted by the man Karajan himself.

I've got a real old stereo, Sharp, that I nicked from my parents when I left home. It's probably the Hi-Fi equivalent of a gurgling Ford from the sixties, but it has a vinyl player so I'll hang on to it until it disintegrates into its constituent components.

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

"Imagination is more important than intelligence" - Einstein

Old 2010-06-03, 11:18
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
Hand in the air.

The crown jewels probably are da original Black Sabbath and recordings of Serenade 13 by Mozart and La forza del destino Overture by Verdi conducted by the man Karajan himself.

I've got a real old stereo, Sharp, that I nicked from my parents when I left home. It's probably the Hi-Fi equivalent of a gurgling Ford from the sixties, but it has a vinyl player so I'll hang on to it until it disintegrates into its constituent components.

Nice, I still need some Verdi! I have some Mozart, Vivaldi and Handel. Classic music helps me concentrate in a weird way. I think I read a scientific study about classic music and helping epileptics concentrate. Guess it works for me too

I spotted an old Thorens pickup in a shop a while back, lots of vinyl-fans swear by Thorens. Have heard one but I wasn't too impressed.. I went into an audiophile store a while back where they had a Transrotor player there.

http://rimake.de/assets/images/Transrotor_203.jpg

Looked awesome. Had an awesome pricetag as well! (150.000 USD! )

Old 2010-06-03, 13:30
Amadeus
Quantum.

Jeez, is that thing meant for playing records, or simply strangle you in your sleep, suck your brain out through your nose and replace it with its own self produced sentient offspring?
But, it's nice that they're still producing the technology for using vinyl. Properly handled they'll last far longer than any factory engraved CD.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if it could be shown under controlled circumstances that classical music has measurable effects. I've found both classical music and death metal in conjunction with advanced math to be downright narcotic.

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

Old 2010-06-03, 13:42
Gomli
ComeOutYeBlackAndTans!

I`d love to have a vinyl player. That`d be badass, I just need the Apocalyptic Raids lp`s

R.I.P moe

Old 2010-06-03, 17:20
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Jeez, is that thing meant for playing records, or simply strangle you in your sleep, suck your brain out through your nose and replace it with its own self produced sentient offspring?
But, it's nice that they're still producing the technology for using vinyl. Properly handled they'll last far longer than any factory engraved CD.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if it could be shown under controlled circumstances that classical music has measurable effects. I've found both classical music and death metal in conjunction with advanced math to be downright narcotic.

Ah yes, they're even producing entry-level audiophile grade turntables for people on a budget nowadays. That's the great thing about a medium that has been developed for ages. (turntables like the Pro-Ject Debut III Esprit and Rega P1)

I'm more into the classic stuff, Thorens, Linn, Dual...

It's easy to find a turntable for a few bucks, just walk into a pawn shop or something. Plenty of used items around as well. Though there seems to be a run on Thorens turntables lately..

Ahyeah, check out this link about the psychology behind classical music: http://cognitive-psychology.suite10...classical_music

Old 2010-06-03, 18:51
Amadeus
Quantum.

I'm not really much into the technical aspects of vinyl, apart from what I've picked up from DJ friends and then we're talking equipment like Technics 1200, perhaps not what you'd lug home to the living room. Though it would be kinda cool to own something like a SL-1100, just to feel some of the vibe of old Kool Herc himself.
I'm ashamed to say that as far as my own DJ aspirations have gone, I've remained at CD's, DVD's and computer files. And cassette tapes, as a backup. Well, you never know.

It's actually not all that easy to find something decent around here, if you're just looking for something to use at home. It's definitely not something you'd pick up on High street.

- Carl Sagan

Old 2010-06-03, 18:53
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

Yeah, I love vinyl and the whole concept of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
Especially with music that was meant to be heard on vinyl, like the 1957 Louis Armstrong record I'm listening now. It sounds so much better then the digital version.

Absolutely. I've got Louis' Hello, Dolly and it makes me cream my self just thinking about it. Another gem I have is a white, limited 200-print of Ulver's Shadow of the Sun. I had to have it, as that album just sounds like it'd be ripe for vinyl (and it is).

Most of my collection is older jazz and blues with some current music in the mix. Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, Arethla Franklin, Edith Piaf, Miles Davis, Chick Corea, etc with some of the more standard Classical stuff strewn throughout. Modern stuff: Couple Judas Priests, Pig Destroyer (Prowler in the Yard, sounds extra smooth), Opeth, B5-2s, etc.

There's a lot of new stuff I'd love to have on vinyl, but its always $20+, and half the fun of vinyl is getting that shit at a 90% discount!
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Old 2010-06-03, 19:00
Chris Rezendes
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
My own stuff ranges from very early Anthrax, DIO, Ratt to rock like Whitesnake, Van den Berg and some old jazz/blues.

I generally hate hair metal, but there's something about Ratt that I find very entertaining. Maybe they were just better than their contemporaries. A little Motley Crue is okay now and then, too.

Old 2010-06-03, 19:09
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Quote:
I'm not really much into the technical aspects of vinyl, apart from what I've picked up from DJ friends and then we're talking equipment like Technics 1200, perhaps not what you'd lug home to the living room. Though it would be kinda cool to own something like a SL-1100, just to feel some of the vibe of old Kool Herc himself.
I'm ashamed to say that as far as my own DJ aspirations have gone, I've remained at CD's, DVD's and computer files. And cassette tapes, as a backup. Well, you never know.

It's actually not all that easy to find something decent around here, if you're just looking for something to use at home. It's definitely not something you'd pick up on High street.

Ah yeah, the Technics SL, they can be considered classics I guess. In the better vinyl stores over here you'll find them when you want to listen to the vinyl that you are intending to buy. They're 'DJ-decks' but they actually got some very good reviews from some audiophiles.

It's not hard to pick up something good here on the used market!

Old 2010-06-03, 19:12
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyldo
Yeah, I love vinyl and the whole concept of it.

Absolutely. I've got Louis' Hello, Dolly and it makes me cream my self just thinking about it. Another gem I have is a white, limited 200-print of Ulver's Shadow of the Sun. I had to have it, as that album just sounds like it'd be ripe for vinyl (and it is).

Most of my collection is older jazz and blues with some current music in the mix. Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, Arethla Franklin, Edith Piaf, Miles Davis, Chick Corea, etc with some of the more standard Classical stuff strewn throughout. Modern stuff: Couple Judas Priests, Pig Destroyer (Prowler in the Yard, sounds extra smooth), Opeth, B5-2s, etc.

There's a lot of new stuff I'd love to have on vinyl, but its always $20+, and half the fun of vinyl is getting that shit at a 90% discount!

Awesome, I have some Aretha Franklin and Miles Davis that I got from my uncle. Good stuff.

I can imagine Ulver sounds pretty dope on vinyl..

I agree with the new stuff, it isn't fun to dish out 20 bucks a record. It's fun to dish out 20 bucks for 20 records though!!!

Old 2010-06-03, 19:14
JoeYngVai
Vaginal Warts

My roommate has a fuckload of vinyls at our apartment. Huge range of stuff from Beatles, Simon & Garfunkle, Floyd, Metallica, Springsteen, and even Supertramp

Sounds good on our Bose speakers.

Blackwater (Friend's Metal Band)
MY WEBSITE!

R.I.P Paddy. My dear and loving father will never be forgotten.

Old 2010-06-03, 19:14
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rezendes
I generally hate hair metal, but there's something about Ratt that I find very entertaining. Maybe they were just better than their contemporaries. A little Motley Crue is okay now and then, too.

Ah yeah, I have some Motley Crue as well. Plus some Anvil, Poison, Black'n'Blue, Def Leppard, Quiet Riot, Tesla, W.A.S.P. and Twisted Sister.

I just love that shit! About 80% of my vinyl records are hairmetal/80's metal.

Old 2010-06-03, 19:36
L,B'XXX
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

Quote:

True dat. And it doesn't seem to matter if they're bakelite 78's or the vinyl 45's or 33 1/3's. They will last forever if you take care of them.

You guys have mentioned some good older systems. Some from back in my day were Fisher Studio Standard, Kenwood, JVC, Technics. I know there's more, but I'm jogging brain cells here. I've still got a ton of records and a few stereos of various sorts. Most of the Fisher stuff. Be careful of the year though cuz some was trash.

Something to be on the lookout for you might not know about are half speed mastered series. We had DSOTM and Magical Mystery Tour, but there were others -Fleetwood Mac Rumours and Alan Parson's Project - I Robot. What they did was slowed the master disc down so when it recorded it would get more sound on the lp it was recorded to. (I think that's how it went anyways.) But however it was done it produced a sound quality that was above and beyond for nuance. Most albums were about $10 to $15 back in the late 70's. Half speeds were twice that. The ones that are will say so somewhere on the cover, but check to make sure the album inside isn't a replacement.

I've still got cassettes I taped in the 70's that I still play. 8tracks floating around somewhere, but not many and I don't like the way they were formatted. I could kick my own butt for giving a reel to reel to Goodwill ages ago. So yeah, I've been through all types of recorded media.

BE GOOD TO YOUR NEEDLES!! And always handle by the edges. Take off the plastic on the cover if it's still there unless it's unopened. Leave it alone if it is. It's worth more that way.

-wally: Mom, you shouldn't play after me because it makes you sound even worse than you already do. -wally:*grumbles and whispers quietly* I guess it's cuz I love you or something, but you're still a TURD
Grimm:I could read your mind but its in font size .5
Amadeus:Oh, and was there a cesserole (never mind spelling) involved?
Paddy:the fact that you didn't end up on a kids show makes me question my atheism
Dyldo: You evil strumpet!

Old 2010-06-03, 19:45
Amadeus
Quantum.

Wehey, quite some turnout here. Though I'm not surprised; hip-hoppers (NOT the shit you see on MTV) and metalheads always seem to a special affinity for vinyl.

Yea, all I've ever gotten to know are from the DJ-lines, so. I even had the chance to try out some scratching at a cypher once. If I sucked at it? Yea, I sucked at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
Ah yeah, I have some Motley Crue as well. Plus some Anvil, Poison, Black'n'Blue, Def Leppard, Quiet Riot, Tesla, W.A.S.P. and Twisted Sister.

I just love that shit! About 80% of my vinyl records are hairmetal/80's metal.

Dude... no...

Speaking of which, Steel Panther needs to do a release on vinyl. That'd be ten types of awesome, just for the hell of it.
Record some of their music on a vinyl record is what I meant to say! No Paddy, no foregone conclusions, I beg you!
But yea.

- Carl Sagan

Old 2010-06-03, 20:14
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by L,B'XXX

BE GOOD TO YOUR NEEDLES!! And always handle by the edges. Take off the plastic on the cover if it's still there unless it's unopened.

Good tips!

Ohyeah and don't stack a big pile of vinyl albums on top of each other.. These fuckers can warp. Put them in an upright position.

I've seen a vinyl cleaning machine a few weeks ago. Anyone have experience with those?

Old 2010-06-03, 20:25
L,B'XXX
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

Describe? All I've ever known was soft cloth and spray. It was mostly to get dust off, I think.

-wally: Mom, you shouldn't play after me because it makes you sound even worse than you already do. -wally:*grumbles and whispers quietly* I guess it's cuz I love you or something, but you're still a TURD
Paddy:the fact that you didn't end up on a kids show makes me question my atheism

Old 2010-06-04, 19:34
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by L,B'XXX
Something to be on the lookout for you might not know about are half speed mastered series. We had DSOTM and Magical Mystery Tour, but there were others -Fleetwood Mac Rumours and Alan Parson's Project - I Robot. What they did was slowed the master disc down so when it recorded it would get more sound on the lp it was recorded to. (I think that's how it went anyways.) But however it was done it produced a sound quality that was above and beyond for nuance. Most albums were about $10 to $15 back in the late 70's. Half speeds were twice that. The ones that are will say so somewhere on the cover, but check to make sure the album inside isn't a replacement.

I had no idea about that and am now really fucking intriqued to hear that. My mother has a copy of Magical Mystery Tour and I have Rumors so I'll be sure to check if its the half-speed mastered series.
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Old 2010-06-04, 19:48
Paddy
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

Ya old fucks! The last time I saw vinyl it was strapped to a dyke's gut and was gliding smoothly into a puckered body cavity.

A friend of mine has a shit-load of Metallica vinyls, although I don't think he has a record player. My lil' cousin is currently looking for Rolling Stones vinyls on eBay, and again she's yet to actually buy a player haha.

If you ever want to recapture that old timy sound but can't afford the gear and the collectors' prices, just load up this baby:

http://www.winamp.com/plugin/izotope-vinyl/39214

You vinyl aficionados can let me know how well this plugin works; I have no frame of reference! I honestly haven't heard a vinyl record since I was about 5-years-old, and I think that was an Elton John album.

*shudders*

Old 2010-06-04, 22:31
L,B'XXX
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

I don't think I have any Stones albums of any kind. I only had a couple 45's when I had those. Not a Stones fan.

Dyl'- I asked my husband how they were made for sure and it was pretty much the way I remembered. Here's a couple links that explain.

http://www.audiophilelps.com/
http://www.audioinvest.no/tt_vinyl/suprdisc/omr_sd.htm

And then there was quadraphonic sound which was something my old choir director had in his incredible attic of thousands of albums, tapes, and equipment. Certain albums were made to have different parts come through 4 different speakers. It was pretty cool, too. That was something else that was album specific.

Old 2010-08-03, 08:49
deMANUfacture
Supreme Metalhead

ive got tonnes of the stuff....lionel richie,prince,dragon,pink floyd,jimi hendrix,cold chisel. it goes for days. this stuff is where its at

Old 2010-11-23, 19:43
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
A friend of mine has a shit-load of Metallica vinyls, although I don't think he has a record player.

I picked up 'kill 'em all' on vinyl, just for old times sake.

Also found some ZZ Top, W.A.S.P. and 'Love ballads' by the Scorpions.

On another note, I 'discovered' a band called 'Bodine', it's a Dutch metal band that operated in the early 80's. I was actually impressed, great dual guitar riffs, very melodic but edgy like Judas Priest at that time.

I went out an searched for all their albums, finding 2 out of 3 on vinyl. I don't think any CD's were ever released..

They have a special vibe. I don't know if anyone here knows Vandenberg, their best known song is 'burning heart'. Adriaan van den Berg also played in Whitesnake... He's Dutch and he f'king rules. Shame he injured his wrist so he had to give up his spot in Whitesnake to that cunt Steve Vai..

Old 2011-05-03, 09:15
blitz906
Okay.

Vinyl definitely does have a certain magical vibe that you just can't get from CD's. It's hard to describe, but it just has a much 'warmer' sound. Vinyl definitely has more low-frequency response too. I remember even when I was very young I noticed how much the bass would boom when my dad would play vinyl albums, and it sounded fucking awesome! Haha. CD's just don't have that deep warm sound. To this day he will only listen to albums on vinyl. I don't mind CD's, metal sounds okay on CD's in my opinion. I do collect vinyl, but that's only limited to old punk, because CD's just can't capture the raw energy of those old punk bands like vinyl can.

Oh, and just for the record, NOT British punk. British punk generally fucking sucked
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompelledToLacerate
God, the Japanese are so weird. This HAS to be the long term effects of the atom bombs. No one is that weird on purpose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomli
The slams in that song always kill me. First time I heard that song I was like "Too much heaviness - brain collapse" but now I could murder my family to that one

Old 2011-05-13, 18:12
xgrafcorex
Post-whore

Hah I loves me some vinyl. Had a small stack of records but they all got warped while I was moving. They were in my car down in FL where it gets plenty hot. Actually, I think I was leaving basstendencies house when I first discovered they were warped.

Old 2011-05-13, 18:29
L,B'XXX
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

can you reflatten them? I don't remember if that works or not. Or you can make lots of warped bowls from them or mod art pieces for the walls or ceiling.

Old 2011-05-13, 18:38
xgrafcorex
Post-whore

I don't think it would work. You'd have to get them perfectly (or as close to as possible) flat without damaging the grooves at all.

Old 2011-05-14, 09:38
blitz906
Okay.

That sucks xgraf

That's the only shitty thing about vinyl, it's so goddamn sensitive. Can't expose it to heat or cold, and they cannot be stacked on top of each other. I won't order vinyl over the internet during the winter because it will get exposed to extreme cold in the back of the delivery truck. Same with heat, during a hot summer I'll put off ordering vinyl until the weather is a little more moderate to avoid it being inside the back of a hot delivery vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz906
I do collect vinyl, but that's only limited to old punk

Scratch that (no pun intended ) I just remembered that I have Filosofem on vinyl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompelledToLacerate
God, the Japanese are so weird. This HAS to be the long term effects of the atom bombs. No one is that weird on purpose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomli
The slams in that song always kill me. First time I heard that song I was like "Too much heaviness - brain collapse" but now I could murder my family to that one

Old 2011-05-14, 17:01
L,B'XXX
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

What we used to do with ours was tape them as soon as we got them and then put them back in storage so they didn't get scratched. Our system sounded great and I know there were others that surpassed it, but the tapes would sound as awesome as the records.