MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2007-03-25, 20:07
Bloodsoaked666
Senior Metalhead

Set up help.

Could I get some ideas for the best set up with what I have along with setting for Death Metal live? I am not looking for a recording sound but a sound to play live with.

THis is what I have:

Jackson DKGMT Dinky w/EMG Guitar
Marshall MG Series 250DFX
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone Pedal
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor Pedal
Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer Pedal
Boss GE-7 Equalizer Pedal
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Any help would be great. Thank you.

Old 2007-03-25, 20:55
Soeru
Post-whore

You've got great gear except for the amp and Metalzone. If I were you, I'd sell both and get a good high gain amp, even something cheap and simple like a Crate BV-60, Stealth GT-50(there's 1 on ebay), or a Peavey Ultra 1x12" would kick ass.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2007-03-25, 21:01
Bloodsoaked666
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeru
You've got great gear except for the amp and Metalzone. If I were you, I'd sell both and get a good high gain amp, even something cheap and simple like a Crate BV-60, Stealth GT-50(there's 1 on ebay), or a Peavey Ultra 1x12" would kick ass.

Would these be loud enough for live shows as well?

Peter

Old 2007-03-25, 22:01
widdlywhaa
Metalhead

hell yeah they'll be loud enough and even if they do lack a little volume for your taste in a live situation (which I don't think they will) you will be able to mic them live.

Old 2007-03-25, 22:40
Mortal_Lament
Senior Metalhead

I dont know man, how soon are you playing live?
The reverb and delay on that amp will really make a heavy sound out of that pedal, for a tight situation you could get decent live, but the tone itself is murkey. After a show you should definatly trade up a couple things...but trading the 250 watt for the 60? i mean i know there is a difference in volume between an SS and tube, but not that much. Save up some cash for a head, you could get an extention and use the speakers from your 250 watt as a cab.
all this depends on the rush you are in, if you got time to save up stick with a cheap used head. Most people here sware on the BVs
Rocktron Xpression Rack mount
Rocktron Gainiac Rack Mount

Old 2007-03-26, 16:06
powersofterror
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader

I'm moving this to gear.
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx

Old 2007-03-26, 17:10
Soeru
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal_Lament
The reverb and delay on that amp will really make a heavy sound out of that pedal, for a tight situation you could get decent live, but the tone itself is murkey. After a show you should definatly trade up a couple things...but trading the 250 watt for the 60? i mean i know there is a difference in volume between an SS and tube, but not that much. Save up some cash for a head, you could get an extention and use the speakers from your 250 watt as a cab.
all this depends on the rush you are in, if you got time to save up stick with a cheap used head. Most people here sware on the BVs

Ummm.. the MG250DFX is not a 250W amp man... It's a 100W RMS combo. Pretty crappy sounding at high volumes, that's the impression I got out of it playing through it at TV volumes. You COULD use it live I'm sure it would work I'm sure it's loud enough, but I'd get something better.

All of the amps I mentioned will do gigging with more than enough headroom, less you need to play for 4000 people unmiced...

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2007-03-26, 17:41
gorath23
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodsoaked666
Could I get some ideas for the best set up with what I have along with setting for Death Metal live? I am not looking for a recording sound but a sound to play live with.

THis is what I have:

Jackson DKGMT Dinky w/EMG Guitar
Marshall MG Series 250DFX
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone Pedal
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor Pedal
Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer Pedal
Boss GE-7 Equalizer Pedal
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Any help would be great. Thank you.

No offence man but those MG's suck big time, the other guitarist in my band uses one and its balls. I've listened to your stuff and it kicks ass, you deserve a decent amp! Not sure what your budget is but as people are recommending 1x12's I'd recommend an Engl Thunder, played one the other day and it sounded awesome.

Engl Fireball
MIJ '84 Greco LP Custom (looking for BKP Nailbomb)
Custom Stratocaster/BKP Sinner
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Framus 2x12
ISP Decimator
Line6 Echo Park
Applause AE128 E/A

www.myspace.com/cathisord - Dark Metal Project

Old 2007-03-26, 20:24
jackson_metal_head
Senior Metalhead

As most people here are saying, your best option is just to buy a head (blue voodoo, mesa boogie rec, peavey xxx/5150/6505, ampeg ss-140c/vh140c) (most of those listed come in combos anyway) and either buy a cab or use the marshall combo that you own for the cab, in most circumstances and judging by the fact that you probably have quite a following with your current bloodsoaked stuff you will quite probably be PA'd anyway.

alternatively you could use you V-amp that you recorded all of your stuff with as a preamp and buy a decent poweramp such a a mesa boogie 2/90/2 or a vht 2/50/2 these both can be picked up for around 700$ on ebay (not sure about the mesa) i may be wrong but if im not mistaked the v-amp is essentially the same thing as the pod xt, and alot of people use those for preamps.

but one thing you havent metioned is your budget on spending for some new gear.

good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philkilla
Play some Defeated Sanity and brutalize the vagina.

summer is 'ere an' it's fuckin' fuckin' buzzin

Old 2007-03-26, 20:28
Auyard
Senior Metalhead

i see you use a compression pedal, can anyone tell me what it does exactly?

as jacksonmetalhead said, get an ampeg they're awesome and sometimes pretty cheap on ebay

Old 2007-03-26, 22:23
TangledMortalCoil
Senior Metalhead

^ kinda hard to describe it.. it just seems to make all your notes sound more the same volume, so your playing cleans up a bit tighter with a little more punch. the boss site says "compresses loud signals and boosts softer signals for a smooth overall sound."

Old 2007-03-27, 00:34
Bloodsoaked666
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson_metal_head
but one thing you havent metioned is your budget on spending for some new gear.

I would say under $1000 is my budget. I am hoping I can trade or just sell my Marshall Combo for a few hundred (paid $550 1 1/2 years ago). I would like to get some kind of 1/2 stack or combo would be totally fine as well. As long as it is loud enough for live shows and pactice. Any show we played I would be miced.

Peter

Old 2007-03-27, 00:38
Bloodsoaked666
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson_metal_head
alternatively you could use you V-amp that you recorded all of your stuff with as a preamp and buy a decent poweramp such a a mesa boogie 2/90/2 or a vht 2/50/2 these both can be picked up for around 700$ on ebay (not sure about the mesa) i may be wrong but if im not mistaked the v-amp is essentially the same thing as the pod xt, and alot of people use those for preamps.

Why could I not plug my V-Amp Pro directly into the Marshall Combo? Why do I need a pre-amp/paoweramp?

I also have 2 PA speakers (AudioChoice), could I run my V-Amp Pro into those and use it like that?

Everything I have done has been for home recording so working on a good death metal sound for plauing live is becoming a big pain....LOL

Peter

Old 2007-03-27, 00:39
Bloodsoaked666
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Ummm.. the MG250DFX is not a 250W amp man... It's a 100W RMS combo. Pretty crappy sounding at high volumes, that's the impression I got out of it playing through it at TV volumes. You COULD use it live I'm sure it would work I'm sure it's loud enough, but I'd get something better.

All of the amps I mentioned will do gigging with more than enough headroom, less you need to play for 4000 people unmiced...

Will the como give the same sonud as a 1/2 stack version?

Old 2007-03-27, 00:42
Bloodsoaked666
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal_Lament

I am in no rush at all. Right now just practicing and working on getting everything tight. So there is no time frame.

Would getting a 5150 head and use it through the combo I have work? I could use the head and play it through the marshall combo speakers?

Peter

Old 2007-03-27, 00:44
Bloodsoaked666
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by widdlywhaa
hell yeah they'll be loud enough and even if they do lack a little volume for your taste in a live situation (which I don't think they will) you will be able to mic them live.

So any and all of these combos (Crate BV-60, Stealth GT-50, or a Peavey Ultra 1x12") would be plenty loud enough?

Do these usually have good enough gain/distortion that I would not need an extra pedal?

Peter

Old 2007-03-27, 02:25
Mortal_Lament
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Would getting a 5150 head and use it through the combo I have work? I could use the head and play it through the marshall combo speakers?

Yeah of course, just gotta check the ohms at the back, i used a randall V2 out of my Marshal MG200DFX, i'm sure its the same idea. BUt get a cab eventually, haha
Rocktron Xpression Rack mount
Rocktron Gainiac Rack Mount

Old 2007-03-27, 03:23
the_bleeding
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auyard
i see you use a compression pedal, can anyone tell me what it does exactly?

levels your volume and gives you NO picking dynamics. Whether you pick hard or soft, it will always be the same volume. You can sustain for hours, but it does not fade, it just stays constantly until it drops off.
READ:
http://www.blackboxmusicfx.com/oxy.html

Quote:
Why could I not plug my V-Amp Pro directly into the Marshall Combo? Why do I need a pre-amp/paoweramp?

Peter

The solid state poweramp of the marshall will suck, and does suck at high volumes. Therefore you're plugging the sex of the mesa v-twin into a marshall SS pile of shit, and thats just asking for a tone infection. Tube poweramp is recommended because of its better tone at high volumes.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2007-03-27, 06:39
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

A comp. pedal doesn't give you "no" dynamics, you can adjust the aggressiveness and threshold of the effect, to get the desired tightness in tone.

Old 2007-03-27, 12:54
Bloodsoaked666
Senior Metalhead

Any opinions on this cab? Good price? Good cab?

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/msg/286699679.html

Peter

Old 2007-03-27, 12:55
Bloodsoaked666
Senior Metalhead

How about this?

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/msg/284996001.html

Remember I want something that is going to give me great sound for live shows, not recording.

Peter

Old 2007-03-27, 13:21
Jopop
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Any opinions on this cab? Good price? Good cab?

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/msg/286699679.html

Peter

That cab isn't exactly great, just "good".
And don't get an open back combo, you won't be satisfied.

Since you like your V-amp pro so much, why not get a good power amp and cab to go with it?

This amp has a good, transparent and balanced sound that lets any preamp shine through it: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/msg/299498119.html

Not sure what the US prices for this usually are but I'd say that deal is good. Now add a $1000 cab (if you can do that) and your setup will kill unborn babies

Old 2007-03-27, 13:27
Jopop
Senior Metalhead

This is the deal of the century. Seriously. If you don't get this you'll be stabbing yourself for years :-/

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/msg/297209595.html

This cab is a fucking madman. This is not one of the best "for the money", this is simply one of the best.

Last edited by Jopop : 2007-03-27 at 13:30.

Old 2007-03-27, 14:15
Jopop
Senior Metalhead

Wait; does it have to be in Raleigh? Damn. The amp can be shipped though.

Old 2007-03-27, 23:38
Bloodsoaked666
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopop
This is the deal of the century. Seriously. If you don't get this you'll be stabbing yourself for years :-/

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/msg/297209595.html

This cab is a fucking madman. This is not one of the best "for the money", this is simply one of the best.

Looks like that is cash only and he will not ship.

Old 2007-03-27, 23:39
Bloodsoaked666
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
That cab isn't exactly great, just "good".
And don't get an open back combo, you won't be satisfied.

Since you like your V-amp pro so much, why not get a good power amp and cab to go with it?

This amp has a good, transparent and balanced sound that lets any preamp shine through it: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/msg/299498119.html

Not sure what the US prices for this usually are but I'd say that deal is good. Now add a $1000 cab (if you can do that) and your setup will kill unborn babies

I think I am going to keep my v-amp pro home for home recordings and get a live amp for shows and practice.

Old 2007-03-27, 23:40
Bloodsoaked666
Senior Metalhead

So are most people saying that I should get a say a 5150 head and a marshall cab? What is wrong with a peavey cab? How would I know what cab is best?

Is a half stack really that much better than a smaller combo or something?

Peter

Old 2007-03-28, 01:29
the_bleeding
Post-whore

Quote:
So are most people saying that I should get a say a 5150 head and a marshall cab? What is wrong with a peavey cab? How would I know what cab is best?

Is a half stack really that much better than a smaller combo or something?

Peter

theres nothing wrong with a peavey cab, theyre just typically harder to find. You'll know which cab is best when you try them out and one sounds better than the other.
Halfstack isnt really that much better than a small combo, its just that the monster amps with the tones people liek tend not to come in a combo form. Its all the sound you want.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2007-03-28, 03:52
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

For the kind of music you play, a 5150 through a Marshall cab with GT-75's would work perfect. Sell the MG (you will never regret doing this), the metalzone, and any other pedals you are not using and put that together with your ~$1000 budget and get yourself that setup. It will work perfectly.
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut

Old 2007-03-28, 04:03
Bloodsoaked666
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtiel
For the kind of music you play, a 5150 through a Marshall cab with GT-75's would work perfect. Sell the MG (you will never regret doing this), the metalzone, and any other pedals you are not using and put that together with your ~$1000 budget and get yourself that setup. It will work perfectly.

What are GT-75's?

With a 5150 and a Marshall cab would I just need an overdrive pedal or anything else? What about from the pedals I have? I use them all now.

Are the only 5150's available used? Do they not make new ones anymore?

Peter

Old 2007-03-28, 04:48
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

GT-75's are a type of speaker, most marshalls have them stock. You would not need any pedals for distortion with a 5150, and they can be had all over ebay and craigslist for cheap.
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:

Old 2007-03-28, 06:36
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

I had that exact same setup before. 5150 head w/ the 1960 cab. It sounds great but you're not gonna get super-tight compressed tone w/ out any other effects/pedals/etc. Chances are if you're into death metal, most amps wouldn't sound perfect-to-your-tastes just alone. I used a BOSS Ge-7 eq in the loop and it sounded perfect for most modern metal tones.....also, if you're not familiar with any of these gears, do some research or go out and try them if you can, just so that you're not buying shit that you don't know much about.

EDIT: My rig was a little old, but I sold the whole thing on craigslist for $700 so I'm sure you could get a decent condition one for around that price.

Old 2007-03-28, 08:19
gorath23
Senior Metalhead

+1 I'd say look at 5150's if you have the money and pair it with your EQ. Or I'd second the Ampeg VH-140C for a more old-school DM sound.

Engl Fireball
Framus 2x12
ISP Decimator
Line6 Echo Park
Applause AE128 E/A

Old 2007-03-28, 15:40
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

I'd say the a stock 5150 alone sounds raw for Hard rock, or if cranked, you can get some clasic metal, but alone, it isn't enough for DM, you'll need some external effect.

Old 2007-03-28, 16:35
Soeru
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Night 6 6
I'd say the a stock 5150 alone sounds raw for Hard rock, or if cranked, you can get some clasic metal, but alone, it isn't enough for DM, you'll need some external effect.

Umm, plenty of death metal and metalcore bands use bare-bone 5150 setups and they pretty much slay everything tonewise. The last thing a 5150 needs is a boost/overdrive...

Old 2007-03-28, 18:30
gorath23
Senior Metalhead

Quote:

Dude, what are you on??!!!

Engl Fireball
Framus 2x12
ISP Decimator
Line6 Echo Park
Applause AE128 E/A

Old 2007-03-28, 18:45
Soeru
Post-whore

Anything with FIVE preamp tubes is going to eviscerate unborn fetuses even at bedroom levels, I don't know what the hell he's talking about.

Old 2007-03-28, 19:06
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

If that tone alone is your ideal metal tone especially for DM.......I don't even know what to say. I've owned it for a year, in addition to trying out numerous other 5150's/6505's, you're seriously telling me that at bedroom levels, that amp has a dead-on perfect DM tone.....

Old 2007-03-28, 19:37
Soeru
Post-whore

And you're telling us that the most commonly used modern high gain amp used by death metal bands these days is only good enough for cranked rock?

Old 2007-03-28, 23:15
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

The 5150 has about 10x more gain than is even remotely necessary for any music ever. It dosent need ANYTHING as far as a boost goes.

Quote:

Old 2007-03-29, 02:18
Bloodsoaked666
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
I had that exact same setup before. 5150 head w/ the 1960 cab. It sounds great but you're not gonna get super-tight compressed tone w/ out any other effects/pedals/etc. Chances are if you're into death metal, most amps wouldn't sound perfect-to-your-tastes just alone. I used a BOSS Ge-7 eq in the loop and it sounded perfect for most modern metal tones.....also, if you're not familiar with any of these gears, do some research or go out and try them if you can, just so that you're not buying shit that you don't know much about.

EDIT: My rig was a little old, but I sold the whole thing on craigslist for $700 so I'm sure you could get a decent condition one for around that price.

Thanks a lot for the info dude!!! I have a Boss GE-7 as well and the Boss Commpresion pedal. Not need for a distortion pedal?

Old 2007-03-29, 02:20
Bloodsoaked666
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorath23
+1 I'd say look at 5150's if you have the money and pair it with your EQ. Or I'd second the Ampeg VH-140C for a more old-school DM sound.

I love the old school death metal sound. I did a search on ebay and musicians freinds but I could not find a Ampeg VH-140C. Is that a combo or a 1/2 stack or what? Any links?

Peter

Old 2007-03-29, 02:33
Bloodsoaked666
Senior Metalhead

Opinions on something like this instead of a 1/2 stack?

http://cgi.ebay.com/PEAVEY-5150-COM...1QQcmdZViewItem

Peter

Old 2007-03-29, 03:22
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

The Ampeg is no longer made. That Peavey would be perfect, and if you need to be louder you can add another 2x12. The combos are actually biased hotter than the heads. All you need to worry about as far as that is concerned is that the combos sound better than the heads.

Quote:

Old 2007-03-29, 03:46
Bloodsoaked666
Senior Metalhead

What is the difference from:

Speaker: 4 x 12 in. G12T-75 or a GT-75's?

Peter

Old 2007-03-29, 14:54
Soeru
Post-whore

The GT-75's are a bit better.

Old 2007-03-29, 18:16
gorath23
Senior Metalhead

IMO from what you've said I'd keep my eyes peeled for an Ampeg VH-140C on Ebay. I think it may be time for Soeru to crack out his list of old-school DM bands that use the Ampeg. It came in head version and 2x12 combo (140w Stereo Solidstate) btw.

Engl Fireball
Framus 2x12
ISP Decimator
Line6 Echo Park
Applause AE128 E/A

Old 2007-03-29, 18:52
Soeru
Post-whore

Suffo on Effigy and Pierced.
Immo on Dawn of Possession.
Gorguts on the first 3 records.
Assuck
Cynic I think.
Atheist probably.

Old 2007-03-29, 19:01
JOAMdude
Post-whore

Immo? on dawn? i frekin love everything about that album!

Old 2007-03-30, 00:18
Bloodsoaked666
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
IMO from what you've said I'd keep my eyes peeled for an Ampeg VH-140C on Ebay. I think it may be time for Soeru to crack out his list of old-school DM bands that use the Ampeg. It came in head version and 2x12 combo (140w Stereo Solidstate) btw.

The Ampeg VH-140 seems to be what I need. I just read about 100 reviews on some web site and people rave about it.

Would the combo version be as good as the Head with a Marshall cab?

Peter

Old 2007-03-30, 00:18
Bloodsoaked666
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Suffo on Effigy and Pierced.
Immo on Dawn of Possession.
Gorguts on the first 3 records.
Assuck
Cynic I think.
Atheist probably.

All the bands I love. How about Pestilence?????

Old 2007-03-30, 00:29
JOAMdude
Post-whore

methinks pestilence has too thrashy tone, but hell, that's what you have mids for

Old 2007-03-30, 03:43
Bloodsoaked666
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOAMdude
methinks pestilence has too thrashy tone, but hell, that's what you have mids for

Consuming Impulse has a insane death metal sound. One of the best death metal albums ever!!!

Old 2007-03-30, 13:50
Soeru
Post-whore

The combo would kick ass and it's more convenient in some cases than a head and cab, but a head with a good cab will inevitably have lots more bass that will punch you in the chest a lot harder when you palm mute. Ideal for playing live. The combos are actually a bit cheaper than the heads. You could buy a 2x12 and use it as a head with a 4x12, you'd get more volume for less $$$.

Keep your eyes peeled on ebay, they're getting rarer every minute.

I doubt pestilence used the Ampeg, as it wasn't so common in Europe. The amp really sounds like Effigy or Pierced in person supposedly, all those oldschool DM records are said to be extremely true to it's sound cause they weren't studio-processed all that much.

Old 2007-03-30, 15:25
JOAMdude
Post-whore

which is why it's so ballin

Old 2007-03-30, 23:43
Bloodsoaked666
Senior Metalhead

Thanks for all the info guys. At least now I have narrowed it down to either:

Ampeg VH-140C (head and 4x12cab) or the Peavey 5150 (head and 2x12 cab).

From the sound of it I cant go wrong with either one.

Peter

Old 2007-03-31, 00:16
Jopop
Senior Metalhead

Try a 5150 first, you CAN go wrong. It has a very distinct characteristic in the mids that can't be dialed out - people either hate or love it..

The 5150 is a great amp, but it's not for everyone.

Old 2007-03-31, 00:21
Soeru
Post-whore

AMPEG AMPEG AMPEG. Buy 2 of them.

Old 2007-03-31, 08:17
gorath23
Senior Metalhead

Must admit I'd prefer the Ampeg too, for some reason I just dislike the 5150's sound. The Ampeg sounds more unique and characterful to my ears.

Engl Fireball
Framus 2x12
ISP Decimator
Line6 Echo Park
Applause AE128 E/A

Old 2007-04-01, 07:57
Josh
Metalhead

Dying Fetus and Internal Bleeding use Ampegs as well. I don't know about Atheist and Cynic, although they're two of my favorite bands and I can say they do acheive those sounds well. Their known for having a great early 90s death metal sound, but if you're into other stuff the cleans are better than most (especially for a high gain amp) and the mids actually give it a really thick sound if you boost them a bit, so its rather versatile. And loud too, in my old band the guitarist used a 5150 halfstack and many times I had to turn down so he could hear himself, and when he upgraded to a full mine still kept up fine as a halfstack. Comparatively I like the Ampeg way better than the 5150, probably about the same gain level, but the Ampeg was a lot clearer and defined. Its all opinion though..so at least try a 5150 before you decide, you might like it.

If you do go with the Ampeg, I'd say get a 2-12 combo, and another good quality 2-12 cabinet...then you'd basically have a halfstack that is easier to move around (like in the car and such), and you could just use the combo alone if u were playing at home.

Last edited by Josh : 2007-04-01 at 08:03.

Old 2007-04-05, 14:58
Bloodsoaked666
Senior Metalhead

How about this for an amp to go along with the Ampeg?

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/msg/305904468.html

Peter

Old 2007-04-05, 20:17
gorath23
Senior Metalhead

Big no on that, those cabinets were horrendous, unless its an old JCM800/900 4x12 I'd stay away from Marshall Cabs. What you really need with the VH-140C is a 4x12 loaded with Celestion Vintage 30's as they complement it very well. Tight bass and nice full mids to offset the natural scooped tone of the head.

Engl Fireball
Framus 2x12
ISP Decimator
Line6 Echo Park
Applause AE128 E/A

Old 2007-04-05, 21:15
Bloodsoaked666
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Big no on that, those cabinets were horrendous, unless its an old JCM800/900 4x12 I'd stay away from Marshall Cabs. What you really need with the VH-140C is a 4x12 loaded with Celestion Vintage 30's as they complement it very well. Tight bass and nice full mids to offset the natural scooped tone of the head.

Can you buy the cabs your talking about new or would I need to get a used one? Any links?

Peter

Old 2007-04-05, 22:17
Sycophant
Supreme Metalhead

You could check out Avatar as they offer a wide range of wiring and speaker options, but like Soeru told me before, "I have heard at HC that their bass response aint so great as they're not built extremely as good as something like a Framus, Boogie, etc."

I've heard numerous people mention the VH-140c is devastating through a standard MESA 4 X 12 with Celestion v30's (the wiring pattern on the backplate is suitable for use with the VH-140c.)

A little about the wiring/cab needs for a VH140c:
Quote:
run [the VH140c] with a cab that has 2 inputs, because the Ampeg only puts out 70W per side, it's meant to be used with a stereo cab(one with 2 inputs). It has 2 seperate poweramps hence why you need to run it into either 2 cabs or 1 cab with 2 inputs, like the 1960... Be sure to get a cab that'll work with low ohmage(8 or 4) to get the most out of the VH by barely having to push that master volume.

The above is a little recap from my own VH140 setup inquiry thread but I think it's worth it to post again.

I have my eyes open for a VH140c as well (one just got bought off of eBay for $350 ]. I myself am about to order a Vader cabinet to replace my Marshall 1960... those come with Eminence Legend V128's, which are comparable to Celestion V30's. Adam from Vader cabs told me they do 2 mono jacks ran parallel, and that he could rewire the cab to 4 ohms no extra charge.

Last edited by Sycophant : 2007-04-05 at 22:23.

Old 2007-04-05, 22:29
Bloodsoaked666
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycophant
You could check out Avatar as they offer a wide range of wiring and speaker options, but like Soeru told me before, "I have heard at HC that their bass response aint so great as they're not built extremely as good as something like a Framus, Boogie, etc."

I've heard numerous people mention the VH-140c is devastating through a standard MESA 4 X 12 with Celestion v30's (the wiring pattern on the backplate is suitable for use with the VH-140c.)

A little about the wiring/cab needs for a VH140c:

The above is a little recap from my own VH140 setup inquiry thread but I think it's worth it to post again.

I have my eyes open for a VH140c as well (one just got bought off of eBay for $350 ]. I myself am about to order a Vader cabinet to replace my Marshall 1960... those come with Eminence Legend V128's, which are comparable to Celestion V30's. Adam from Vader cabs told me they do 2 mono jacks ran parallel, and that he could rewire the cab to 4 ohms no extra charge.

Thanks for all the info dude! I am going to save that.

I am trying to find as much info as I can before I buy something but I know I want the Ampeg VH-140C. The one that sold on ebay was that a combo or just the head? I can not believe it was on ebay. I was looking everyday and then went on vacation for 5 days and just got back today. When was it on ebay?

I ahve head people using the Vader cabs as well. But I myself have no idea if they are good or bad, still researching.

Peter

Old 2007-04-05, 23:13
Sycophant
Supreme Metalhead

The one that was sold on eBay was the head, and $350 was the "buy it now" price. I know, totally ridiculous. I have eBay configured to send me mail everytime a search result with "ampeg vh" is detected, and apparently in the last 2 days someone put it up and it was sold in a snap - it's already an invalid link.

Personally I have never played a Vader cab myself, but of course I have heard and seen them live (Cryptopsy, Suffocation, Dying Fetus, Vital Remains and Necrophagist all used one when I saw them live.) Plus, it'll be a hell of a lot better than my spray-painted & grill-less Marshall 4 X 12 I have now. I'm pretty sure if it's good enough for Cryptopsy and Suffocation it's plenty good for me, haha.

Old 2007-04-06, 20:49
gorath23
Senior Metalhead

Posted from Marshall Forum (Didn't know whether you'd check back)

Anyways, I'm going to say it again man, seriously the ONLY amp that you should be looking at is the VH-140C, if you think its hard finding one in the US then try finding one in the UK! There are loads dotted around in the states though, just spend a week or two trawling Harmony-Central Classifieds, Google and Ebay and you will find one. Don't worry about getting the cab, there are loads of cabs that will suit it. I've heard clips and it sounds awesome, plus you've heard the bands that used it, not having a huge budget for producing etc they sound v.similar to the recordings. In the last month or two I've come across at least 2 heads and a couple of combos in my searchings, unfortunately no one was willing to ship to the UK. I don't think this guy ever sold his - http://acapella.harmony-central.com...ighlight=vh140c

Engl Fireball
Framus 2x12
ISP Decimator
Line6 Echo Park
Applause AE128 E/A

Old 2007-04-06, 23:18
Bloodsoaked666
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Posted from Marshall Forum (Didn't know whether you'd check back)

Anyways, I'm going to say it again man, seriously the ONLY amp that you should be looking at is the VH-140C, if you think its hard finding one in the US then try finding one in the UK! There are loads dotted around in the states though, just spend a week or two trawling Harmony-Central Classifieds, Google and Ebay and you will find one. Don't worry about getting the cab, there are loads of cabs that will suit it. I've heard clips and it sounds awesome, plus you've heard the bands that used it, not having a huge budget for producing etc they sound v.similar to the recordings. In the last month or two I've come across at least 2 heads and a couple of combos in my searchings, unfortunately no one was willing to ship to the UK. I don't think this guy ever sold his - http://acapella.harmony-central.com...ighlight=vh140c

I think I ahve found a guy to sell me one and ship it. $500 with shipping. Good price?

Peter

Old 2007-04-06, 23:34
Jopop
Senior Metalhead

Head or 2x12?
Reliable seller? I've heard stories about these breaking down..

Old 2007-04-06, 23:51
Bloodsoaked666
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Head or 2x12?
Reliable seller? I've heard stories about these breaking down..

Just the head.

Reliable seller.......I hope so. I am going to get his phone # and talk to him on the phone before I make any paypal payment. He said he would be willing to take a check as well but would need to wait for it to clear before shipping and that is cool.

I fell if I have his phone # and talk to him on the phone things will be cool.

He had the head serviced about 2-3 years ago and since only used it for a power amp for his rack. They are older amps and I am sure they all need a tune up every now and again.

Peter

Old 2007-04-07, 00:08
JOAMdude
Post-whore

SEIZE THIS OPPORTUNITY NOW

Old 2007-04-07, 08:42
gorath23
Senior Metalhead

$500 including shipping isn't too bad. I'd grab it.

Engl Fireball
Framus 2x12
ISP Decimator
Line6 Echo Park
Applause AE128 E/A

Old 2007-04-07, 08:55
Jopop
Senior Metalhead

Hell yeah, if it's a fraud he wouldn't give out a (working) phone number. I'd say go for it - you know where he lives anyway, so if there's any problems you shouldn't have a real problem driving over there kidnapping his daughter of whatever if the amp doesn't show / is not in advertised condition

Old 2007-04-07, 13:00
Bloodsoaked666
Senior Metalhead

Yeah, I am just waiting for him to call me today. He says he has never shipped anything that big and is a bit concerned. I told him to just bring the amp head to the UPS Store and they will do it all for him.

Peter

Old 2007-04-07, 13:02
Bloodsoaked666
Senior Metalhead

Just another questions guys and I am hoping for some quick replies.

Is the Ampeg VH-140C 2x12 Combo the same "exact" as the plain head? basicly would I get the "same sound?

If I hooked the combo up to a 4x12 cab would I get the SAME sound as if I was playing with just the head and a 4x12 cab?

Peter