MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone

Old 2011-03-18, 17:56
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

Ebow

Anyone here own or have used an ebow? How is it? Work well? Suck? Thinking of buying one.
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Old 2011-03-18, 19:28
Amadeus
Quantum.

That little thing you hold in your right hand instead of a pick? Like a handheld synth for guitar? Yea, a friend of mine has one of those. I've only heard it a couple of times, but through a good PA it did seem to make a decent job, though I personally kinda disapprove on general principles.

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

"Imagination is more important than intelligence" - Einstein

Old 2011-03-19, 04:20
Paddy
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

What sort of Single White Female nonsense is this? Stop trying to become me!

http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56225

Ebows are pretty kewl, but using them effectively (that is, to do more than just drone a continuous note as you slide up and down the string) is a pain in the dick. Moving onto other strings is a pain too, but I've seen videos of guys doing it smoothly and cleanly so there must be a technique to it. I just don't know where to go to learn it.

My dream is to do a cover of something like Adagio For Strings or Air on a G String, but it's fuckin' impossible to properly "bow" the notes consistently.

Dylan, I think you should get one, because it will definitely provide you with some awesome new soundage. And you'll probably master it in a few days, because you're a cunt.

Old 2011-03-19, 08:06
Gomli
ComeOutYeBlackAndTans!

If you have the money get one. It's really a great sound experience and trying new things is always fun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwq0i6jP7dQ

R.I.P moe

Old 2011-03-19, 14:07
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

Heh, I didn't think about searching in the gear and recording forum for ebow stuff.. some mod I am. Yeah I think I'm most definitely going to get one off ebay. I'd like to get one of the newer ones with the extra switch on it that makes the note ring a harmonic or whatever. If I get any good at it, Pads, I'll make a little video or something demonstrating shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomli
If you have the money get one. It's really a great sound experience and trying new things is always fun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwq0i6jP7dQ

Daaaamn, he's fucking tits and really makes me want to go play. When he was simulating the bagpipes I got chills.
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Old 2011-03-19, 17:13
Paddy
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyldo
Heh, I didn't think about searching in the gear and recording forum for ebow stuff.. some mod I am. Yeah I think I'm most definitely going to get one off ebay. I'd like to get one of the newer ones with the extra switch on it that makes the note ring a harmonic or whatever. If I get any good at it, Pads, I'll make a little video or something demonstrating shit.
That's the one I have; the harmonic setting is fucking great, especially if you get some extra effects going on with it. I think I paid nearly £60 for mine (about $100) which was kinda expensive, I thought. Hopefully the price has dropped in the intervening years.

And to be honest, I was just paying you lip service - if you can actually master a device which has two switches on it I'll eat my own pussy.