MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone

Old 2008-02-11, 19:26
VIA
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsis
How mutch do you think it would coast to get a Jackson sl2 soloist copy from Ran?

just make a quote here and dariusz will tell you.... it's for free to quote

Old 2008-02-11, 19:30
Arsis
Supreme Metalhead

What do they call their headstock that looks like jacksons?

Old 2008-02-12, 03:44
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Other: Jackson style

Old 2008-02-12, 16:31
VIA
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsis
What do they call their headstock that looks like jacksons?

it's "jackson pointy"...
if you don't know how to name something just send links to pics, dariusz will fill in the missing stuff.

Old 2008-02-19, 06:58
Hexer
Senior Metalhead

I'm not too much of a fan of that shape personally but hey, thats a cool guitar!
Congrats and welcome in the RAN family!!!

Old 2008-02-19, 07:15
Chris_974
New Blood

Thank you Hexer!

Can't wait to play that guitar ^^

Old 2008-02-19, 11:27
Khaos
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_974
Here's my contribution to the forum.. Left handed Ran SV, the guitar is on its way ^^

http://img204.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img1522os6.jpg

Yeah, that's one awesome and classy SV. Gets my vote Welcome to the Ran family!

Old 2008-02-19, 11:58
Chris_974
New Blood

Thanks Khaos!

Old 2008-02-19, 21:06
Invader
New Blood

I see some of you have had a lousy setup on you Ran when receiving it. Me too. In addition to that, my Ran also has pretty mediocre fret job. I've tried to setup it properly for ages, and I can't get the action lower than about 3,5mm on both the high and low e string. Any lower than 3mm, it buzzes all over the neck, not just on one spot. I've tried different amounts of relief with thin results. For the record, I can setup all my other guitars, so it isn't just my abilities.

Also, when I received my Ran, the output jack wasn't working. After a quick diagnostics I saw that the cavity for the jack was too shallow, so when the jack is mounted on, the tip of the connector hits the bottom of the cavity and bends so that the guitar cable plug doesn't touch it. I had to temporarily add washers under the jack plate screws to make the jack sit higher off the body.

It's as if they just slapped the strings on, took the pics and shoved it in the case. I'm sure if they tried to play it, the lousy setup and the non working output jack would've been noticed.

My guitar sounds good, and the craftsmanship and attention to detail is second to none, so no problems there. But all in all, I'm really dissapointed that my custom Ran wasn't perfect. In fact, after desperately trying to setup the guitar, I was so dissapointed that I just wanted to forget it ever happened. It's been ten (!!) months now since I got it, and it hasn't gotten that much play time, mostly because I've been busy with other things in my life, but partly because I just didn't want to even think about the issue. I paid a hefty price for this guitar and I wanted it to be perfect!

Two days ago, I decided to grab the bull by it's horns and email Dariusz regarding these issues and see what his opinion is on the matter. I think these things should be covered under warranty. I'm having the frets leveled (probably by Amfisound guitars) even if I have to pay for the work myself. This guitar needs to be played!

Old 2008-02-20, 07:52
Hexer
Senior Metalhead

hmmm that kinda sucks, I can see why you'd be disapointed.

personally I had no such problems with setting up my RAN. I play it nearly exclusively these days and off the guitars I have played its the one that gives me the least problems if any at all.
it is true though that the guitar had NO setup at all when I received it. even the Floyd was still in factory position as far as I can tell (not intonated or anything). cant tell you how high or low my action is exactly, I'd say its fairly low, but I think my action is usually a little higher than some other people like cause I like to hit my strings hard sometimes and still want clear sound (thats on a 7-string and includes the low b if you were wondering)

Old 2008-02-20, 10:50
STYX
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexer
hmmm that kinda sucks, I can see why you'd be disapointed.

personally I had no such problems with setting up my RAN. I play it nearly exclusively these days and off the guitars I have played its the one that gives me the least problems if any at all.
it is true though that the guitar had NO setup at all when I received it. even the Floyd was still in factory position as far as I can tell (not intonated or anything). cant tell you how high or low my action is exactly, I'd say its fairly low, but I think my action is usually a little higher than some other people like cause I like to hit my strings hard sometimes and still want clear sound (thats on a 7-string and includes the low b if you were wondering)

The same for me... as i previously said in another post: no setup at all when
i received the guitar. It's a great pity because in most cases, Ran guitars
finishes are very well done (paintjob, fretjob etc.), but the setup!

Even if the wood "works" a little after a while, you should not have to re setup
entirely your custom axe, because it should have been done very well in the factory.

This is the reason why i hesitate to order a second one...

Old 2008-02-20, 16:29
Art-Of-Shredding
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by STYX
The same for me... as i previously said in another post: no setup at all when
i received the guitar. It's a great pity because in most cases, Ran guitars
finishes are very well done (paintjob, fretjob etc.), but the setup!

Even if the wood "works" a little after a while, you should not have to re setup
entirely your custom axe, because it should have been done very well in the factory.

This is the reason why i hesitate to order a second one...

Yeah I know what you mean, personally ive not had a problem with either of my rans. I really rate these guitar as one of the best but they arnt quite there yet. I would take another RAN over 95% of other brands out there though.

Old 2008-02-21, 01:41
underdestruction
New Blood

I think everyone with these issues should email him, so maybe in the future they will play the guitars and give it a good setup before they send it out

Nice lefty SV btw, simple but nice

Old 2008-02-21, 07:07
Chris_974
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdestruction
I think everyone with these issues should email him, so maybe in the future they will play the guitars and give it a good setup before they send it out

Nice lefty SV btw, simple but nice

I agree with that... I asked Dariusz to setup my guitar before shipping but i don't know yet if it has been done ...

Thanx underconstruction! That's what i got for 1420€..

Last edited by Chris_974 : 2008-02-21 at 10:36.

Old 2008-02-21, 13:18
VIA
New Blood

Quote:
I agree with that... I asked Dariusz to setup my guitar before shipping but i don't know yet if it has been done ...

Thanx underconstruction! That's what i got for 1420€..

damn thats a quite an amazing axe dude!
after receiving this beauty you have to tell us if it was adjusted at all

Old 2008-02-21, 13:29
ztevie
New Blood

Hm, sad to hear that maybe Ran start to be sloppy regarding setup...?
Of course, they're getting really big. I suspect they are so busy so maybe have some interns or similar doing the "not so important" jobs...
You will have to do your own setup eventually, cause changes in humidity and temperature will mess it up. But it's scandal if you buy a new custom and it's not perfectly setup from scratch.

Anyway, there are other luthiers in Poland, who will give you nice value for your money. Ran is actually considered so-so by many Polish guitarists, they seem to think there are many smaller guys/companies that make much nicer guitars..

Thought I'd give you a list of the ones I know. I am from Sweden, and have actually ordered a Poland custom myself, which was absolutely supernice. The woodwork, finish, setup, well everything really...
Here we go:

www.ranguitars.com (Well, you all know them)
www.witkowskiguitars.com (Supposed to be one of Polands best)
www.rekguitars.com (Ordered from these guys, their answers and the interest they showed made me choose them. Small company, 2 brothers do everything. Mine is in the gallery, named Ztevies Blue)
http://www.lootnick.com (well, look in their gallery, they can make guitars that stand out!)
http://www.martchguitars.u2.pl/ (Don't know)
http://www.pasguitars.com/ (Also supposed to be good, but they gave me a too expensive price on the shipping, but I'm sure I could have found another shipping company, cheaper than the one they had)
http://www.mayones.com/ (Big, and too expensive compared to the others)
http://nexus-guitars.com/ (Supposed to be one of the best in Poland too)
http://kaniaguitars.com/i2/1ang1.htm (Don't know)

Old 2008-02-21, 19:14
Art-Of-Shredding
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztevie
www.rekguitars.com (Ordered from these guys, their answers and the interest they showed made me choose them. Small company, 2 brothers do everything. Mine is in the gallery, named Ztevies Blue)

I love that guitar!

Old 2008-02-26, 10:36
Hexer
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztevie

I think yours is one of the absolutely bestlooking guitars in the gallery! on the other hand, some of the guitars there just look.... dunno... "off" to me

do they do custom shapes btw?
I seem to remember a guy on another forum who was in contact with a polish luthier (I THINK it was REK, but not sure, might have been someone else... thinking about it.. could have been PAS... dunno) about a possible custom guitar and while they offered to make a custom design for him they refused to do his own design or something

Old 2008-02-26, 11:27
Mortal_Lament
Senior Metalhead

maybe it was a really stupid looking design?
Rocktron Xpression Rack mount
Rocktron Gainiac Rack Mount

Old 2008-02-26, 16:50
ztevie
New Blood

Quote:
I think yours is one of the absolutely bestlooking guitars in the gallery! on the other hand, some of the guitars there just look.... dunno... "off" to me

do they do custom shapes btw?
I seem to remember a guy on another forum who was in contact with a polish luthier (I THINK it was REK, but not sure, might have been someone else... thinking about it.. could have been PAS... dunno) about a possible custom guitar and while they offered to make a custom design for him they refused to do his own design or something

Thanks! Yeah, I'm very pleased with the way it turned out...
Can't see why a luthier would refuse a custom shape? Some may only want to do "normal" shapes because it's very easy to do a strat or LP shape, you can find drawings of them everywhere. Mine is based on ESP Horizon, so no problem there... But if they can't do custom shapes, I wouldn't trust them being very professional either... Or this guy wanted a penis shaped guitar or something?? So maybe they felt this guy's design wasn't something they wanted to do, professional pride you know?
I did find REK very involved in my choices of details. For me that was a good thing. They talked me out of standard Horizion small block inlay, and came up with the thing that sits there now, glad for that now.
I ordered white binding, the white-black-white is their idea, also an improvment I think...
They had many suggestions, some I accepted, some I didn't.
I ordered standard black pickup rings. Was very surprised when the guitar arrived and they had made the effort ta make their own pickup rings made of ebony, which fits very well with the ebony fretboard.
Also the cavity cover on backside is Wenge wood. The neck is maple with stripes of Wenge in it. A nice detail also...

Of course, when you look at the galleries, metalheads will find Ran for example more thrilling than REK. But I think both companies make excellent guitars, no matter what music you will play with it...

Old 2008-02-26, 17:36
Hexer
Senior Metalhead

as far as I remember (that was a while ago) it was something roughly based on a strat-shape, not too far off the normal I think. he had a pretty good scetch of it iirc. they sent him a few suggestions of their own but whatever...

I definitally thing REK guitars look like they are really good quallity and I kinda like quite a lot of guitar shapes. its just that some of their shapes look a little "pushed out of shape" to me... dunno... its just a personal preferrance thing I'd say

RAN is more geared towards metal-guitars over all of course

Old 2008-02-27, 22:40
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

If you ever looked at the old Jackson custom shop gallery you'd see that there is no accounting for taste. ESP also will always do pretty much exactly as the customer asks (unless it's a copyright/lawsuit issue) but there was a situation a while ago where inlayed perloid bevels on a SV body with a transparent finish left little indentations around the perloid which was quite visible in certain light. The luthier knew this would happen due to the materials involved and the fact that woods shrinks/expands and perloid doesn't and should have warned the customer, but didn't, and followed their spec regardless. They ended up shipping it back to Japan and refinishing the guitar in a non trans satin finish so they could use filler on the gaps. It ended up looking pretty much how the customer wanted, just with that relatively minor adjustment.

So, I think it's good if a luthier discusses specs and styles with the customer if they thing something won't work or will just look plain horrible, after all, it is their reputation, and potential customers trawling through photo galleries will see an abortion of a guitar and blame the luthier rather than a customer who wanted "everything cool imaginable" on their guitar regardless of how unclassy it looks.

At the end of the day though, if one luthier won't build you what you want, there will always be another who will

Old 2008-02-28, 05:04
ztevie
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmaster213
If you ever looked at the old Jackson custom shop gallery you'd see that there is no accounting for taste. ESP also will always do pretty much exactly as the customer asks (unless it's a copyright/lawsuit issue) but there was a situation a while ago where inlayed perloid bevels on a SV body with a transparent finish left little indentations around the perloid which was quite visible in certain light. The luthier knew this would happen due to the materials involved and the fact that woods shrinks/expands and perloid doesn't and should have warned the customer, but didn't, and followed their spec regardless. They ended up shipping it back to Japan and refinishing the guitar in a non trans satin finish so they could use filler on the gaps. It ended up looking pretty much how the customer wanted, just with that relatively minor adjustment.

So, I think it's good if a luthier discusses specs and styles with the customer if they thing something won't work or will just look plain horrible, after all, it is their reputation, and potential customers trawling through photo galleries will see an abortion of a guitar and blame the luthier rather than a customer who wanted "everything cool imaginable" on their guitar regardless of how unclassy it looks.

At the end of the day though, if one luthier won't build you what you want, there will always be another who will

Youre right. Actually from day 1 I wanted wood binding. REK could have done that, but they wouldn't, because they feared some of the blue top laquer would spill over and sink into the binding... And in technical matters of laquer and building the guitar I want to trust the luthier. I'm just playing the damn thing...

Old 2008-03-07, 15:20
BlackTowel
New Blood

I have my Ran for about a year and she is still going strong, I had a little problem with her after a few months, while changing strings top nut came off. But that can happen to any guitar. I glued it back on and it hasn't come off since. Another problem I have and maybe someone here has got the same problem is that my frets are corroding (turning green) :S. I used some microfine fret polishing cloth from dunlop to remove it. My other guitars dont have that problem so I thinks its because of a different fretwire material.

here's a video of my Ran in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTRILvbnTME
our band is called Power of Chaos: www.powerofchaos.com

here you can find the specs of my Ran
http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthre...owel#post518080

Last edited by BlackTowel : 2008-03-07 at 16:56.

Old 2008-03-07, 18:53
Chris_974
New Blood

Pat O'Brien from Cannibal Corpse at RAN Guitars!

http://ranguitars.com/cannibal-corpse.htm

Old 2008-03-08, 02:17
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Looks like Ran is about to get flooded with orders.

Old 2008-03-08, 17:03
Ozzuk
Senior Metalhead

I keep changing my mind about the specs but i'm definately wanting to use their crusier body shape and a revers ran ehadstock...

Im just debating what bridge to go with another floyd either ofr or schaller, a wilkinson bridge with sperzals or a tonepros and sperzals...

Decisions decisions!

Old 2008-03-08, 17:40
cotd666
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzuk
I keep changing my mind about the specs but i'm definately wanting to use their crusier body shape and a revers ran ehadstock...

Im just debating what bridge to go with another floyd either ofr or schaller, a wilkinson bridge with sperzals or a tonepros and sperzals...

Decisions decisions!

this may be a stupid question but can someone clear this up for me - whats the difference between an OFR and a schaller floyd rose?

Old 2008-03-09, 14:05
Hexer
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotd666
this may be a stupid question but can someone clear this up for me - whats the difference between an OFR and a schaller floyd rose?

actually I THINK someone told me that Schaller makes all the OFRs anyways and the Schaller FR is just the same thing with a different name on it

Old 2008-03-09, 16:19
cotd666
Metalhead

Quote:
actually I THINK someone told me that Schaller makes all the OFRs anyways and the Schaller FR is just the same thing with a different name on it

thanks, thats what i thought.

Old 2008-03-12, 18:27
Ozzuk
Senior Metalhead

The Schaller company make the Real OFR's not the new ping ones quite common now on lower end axe's...OLP, BCR ETC

Schaller's floyd is based on the floyd but is double locking has a thick ass baseplate with removable knife edges, the OFR is one piece...

The Schaller is around the same quality I prefer the feel of a Schaller FR and Gotoh FR to the OFR's I have tried however they are good unit's...

Many prefer the OFR others look beyond the name and goes for what feel is best for them, I think the materials are different for the baseplate and sustain block too...

I'm definately wanting an archtop cruiser with flame maple just deciding over what bridge to go for...

Plenty of time to decide i'm going to make the deposit after aprill So I can keep changing my mind before sendignt eh final spec of to Big D and the Ran squad...

Old 2008-04-04, 15:02
STYX
New Blood

Adhesive tape on guitar headstock

Hi,

Does someone know why some guitarists (the one from Krisiun on its RAN
guitar or ^Dimebag^ on some of his Deans) use some adhesive-tape on the
strings on the headstock after the locking nut ?

thanx!
Attached Images
File Type: bmp AT.bmp (94.9 KB, 89 views)

Last edited by STYX : 2008-04-04 at 15:15.

Old 2008-04-04, 15:29
philkilla
Crusher of Skulls

Quote:
Pat O'Brien from Cannibal Corpse at RAN Guitars!

http://ranguitars.com/cannibal-corpse.htm

I feel slightly responsible for that...he questioned where I got mine. haha

My Trust is in WHISKEY and WEEDand SLAYER
Long live DIMEBAG
ROGspace Cunts. Book us

Quote:
Originally Posted by far_beyond_sane
You thought of mixing wheat flour with saturated fat, and putting it the resultant shit in a styrofoam cup. Shine on, you crazy dead yellow diamond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
May the best cunt win.

Old 2008-04-07, 11:25
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Hi,

Does someone know why some guitarists (the one from Krisiun on its RAN
guitar or ^Dimebag^ on some of his Deans) use some adhesive-tape on the
strings on the headstock after the locking nut ?

thanx!

Sometime the strings behind the nut vibrate slightly which can cause feedback. You're less likely to see it obviously, but tremolo springs can do this too. I had to stuff tissue under the strings in one guitar to stop the noise being picked up.

Old 2008-04-07, 12:00
STYX
New Blood

Ok, thanks for your response! I suspected this... but was surprised to see this adhesive-tape on high-end guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmaster213
Sometime the strings behind the nut vibrate slightly which can cause feedback. You're less likely to see it obviously, but tremolo springs can do this too. I had to stuff tissue under the strings in one guitar to stop the noise being picked up.

Old 2008-04-08, 14:28
HermanRi!
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by philkilla
I feel slightly responsible for that...he questioned where I got mine. haha

hahahaha, really? whats the story behind that?

Old 2008-04-10, 22:27
philkilla
Crusher of Skulls

I've talked to him a few times on myspace (he doesn't say very much either), and he asked where I got it from. I told him it was custom made, and I'm sure he saw the notable similarities to his BC's, and I suppose he made an order some tife afterwards.

For the record, he said he likes his Ran a lot too.

Long live DIMEBAG
ROGspace Cunts. Book us

Quote:
You thought of mixing wheat flour with saturated fat, and putting it the resultant shit in a styrofoam cup. Shine on, you crazy dead yellow diamond.

Quote:
May the best cunt win.

Old 2008-04-11, 18:10
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

I bet B.C. Rich shit themselves shortly after that considering Ran cost about 1/5 of what their custom shop charges

Old 2008-04-12, 01:38
philkilla
Crusher of Skulls

Yah no kiddin. I would have preferred a different headstock, and that particular camo finish I'm no to fond of either.

If I ever get my ass down to Tampa, Alex invited me to witness a practice session...I'll be sure to let Pat try mine out as well.

Long live DIMEBAG
ROGspace Cunts. Book us

Quote:

Quote:
May the best cunt win.

Old 2008-04-12, 02:11
TheTrueAceofSpades
New Blood

Does Ran make 8-strings by any chance? Because I'd like my custom made guitar to be an 8 and I'm wondering if Ran is a possiblity.

Old 2008-04-12, 10:11
cotd666
Metalhead

wont have the money to buy a ran for quite a long time but my order is starting to take shape:-

name: steve
> e-mail: steve.eplc0607@virgin.net
> country: england
> - - -
> R or L handed : right handed
>
> Scale length : 25.5
> Scale length other :
>
> Body shape : other
> Body shape other : stealth
>
> Construction : neck thru body
> Construction other :
>
> Body material : alder
> Body material other :
>
> Top wood options : no
> Top wood options other :
>
> Body binding : none
>
> Binding material : N/A
> Binding material other :
>
> Pickup configuration : H-H
> Pickup configuration other :
>
> Finish : solid
> Finish other : black
>
> Custom finish : none
> Custom finish other :
>
> Headstock shape : other
> Headstock shape other : stealth
>
> Neck material : maple 3P
> Neck material other :
>
> Headstock : regular
>
> Truss rod cover : plastic (b/w/b)
> Truss rod cover other :
>
> Headstock finish : match body finish
> Headstock finish other :
>
> Neck finish : match body finish
> Neck finish other :
>
> Fingerboard material : ebony
> Fingerboard material other :
>
> Number of frets : 24
> Number of frets other :
>
> Fret size : Dunlop 6130
>
> Fingerboard inlays (MOP) : none
> Fingerboard inlays (MOP) other :
>
> Custom inlays : no
> Custom inlays other :
>
> Inlay at 12th fret (MOP) : pentagram (11-13th fret area)
> Inlay at 12th fret (MOP) other :
>
> Fingerboard side inlays : plastic dots
> Fingerboard side inlays other :
>
> Fingerboard binding : none
> Fingerboard binding other :
>
> Headstock binding : none
> Headstock binding other :
>
> Nut : locking
> Nut other :
>
> Width : 1 5/8(42mm)
>
> Hardware color : black
>
> Bridge system : original Floyd Rose Tremolo
> Bridge system other :
>
> Tuning machines : Schaller M6
> Tuning machines other :
>
> Straplocks : Dunlop
>
> Pickups : EMG
> Neck : 85
> Middle :
> Bridge : 81
>
> Pickup rings : none (direct mounted)
>
> Control knobs : 2 x volume, tone
> Control knobs other :
>
> Other controls : none
> Other controls other :
>
> Pickup selector : 3-way lever
> Pickup selector other :
>
> Flight case : no
> - - -
> Additional instructions :

Dear Steve,
the Stealth guitar in your specification will cost 1490 euros.

Best regards
Dariusz Kuczynski

id like to ask, how do the ran necks compare to, say, an ibanez? i dont desperately need a thin neck but itd be nice

Old 2008-04-12, 10:25
Hexer
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTrueAceofSpades
Does Ran make 8-strings by any chance? Because I'd like my custom made guitar to be an 8 and I'm wondering if Ran is a possiblity.

I asked them that about a year ago and Dariusz said they dont do 8s. also no multiscale instruments and no basses

cotd666: on my 7-string RAN, compared to my 7-string Ibby (RG7620) I think the RAN necks feels faster and more comfortable. I dont think its much thinner really but its just more comfortable to me. something about the Ibby's neck shape makes it feel bulkier than the RAN (though the Ibby neck isnt fat or bad by any means)

Old 2008-04-12, 10:51
cotd666
Metalhead

Quote:
I asked them that about a year ago and Dariusz said they dont do 8s. also no multiscale instruments and no basses

cotd666: on my 7-string RAN, compared to my 7-string Ibby (RG7620) I think the RAN necks feels faster and more comfortable. I dont think its much thinner really but its just more comfortable to me. something about the Ibby's neck shape makes it feel bulkier than the RAN (though the Ibby neck isnt fat or bad by any means)

thanks for that hexer. i actually have no money at the moment but hopefully in a few months i will be able to finally order my ran. i was just going to get a chuck schuldiner stealth but i want emgs and a floyd rose so im just going to save up for a ran.

Old 2008-04-25, 09:49
Smokiejohn
New Blood

Ran Flight Cases

Hi ,
I have just stumbled across this forum and specific thread on Ran Guitars. I have ordered a custom Invader which is due to be finnished in August (08) and wanted to know if anyone purchased the flight case that Dariusz offers ? Are they good quality and a good fit etc...? Grateful for any info.

Cheers J.

Old 2008-04-28, 16:34
BlackTowel
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokiejohn
Hi ,
I have just stumbled across this forum and specific thread on Ran Guitars. I have ordered a custom Invader which is due to be finnished in August (08) and wanted to know if anyone purchased the flight case that Dariusz offers ? Are they good quality and a good fit etc...? Grateful for any info.

Cheers J.

I ordered my guitar 2 years ago and it arrived February 14th 2007. The case itself was good but my guitar was only held in place with hardfoam at the bottom of my guitar. I bought some foam and remodelled the interior of the case. Here are some pictures of my case before and after:

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/...owel/before.jpg
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/...Towel/after.jpg

I think its best to order a flight case to ensure safe transportation.

Old 2008-04-28, 20:20
Chris_974
New Blood

Pretty good job BlackTowel..

@Smokiejohn: My Ran travelled 10,000 kms just inside of the case in a plane baggage hole, and arrived safe... (a member of my family brought it to me, after UPS has delivered the guitar in Germany, and didn't keep the carton box).. The case is really good, but its true that the interior has not too much foam...

And you know, there's a part of luck in that... I know somebody who opened the box, then the case after UPS has delivered the guitar, and found it with a broken wing and a fallen pickup...

Old 2008-04-28, 20:33
Smokiejohn
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTowel
I ordered my guitar 2 years ago and it arrived February 14th 2007. The case itself was good but my guitar was only held in place with hardfoam at the bottom of my guitar. I bought some foam and remodelled the interior of the case. Here are some pictures of my case before and after:

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/...owel/before.jpg
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/...Towel/after.jpg

I think its best to order a flight case to ensure safe transportation.

Hi Black Towel and Chris 974,
Thanks for the replies and the photos, it is greatly appreciated. That is one fine looking guitar , very nice indeed.

Cheers J.

Last edited by Smokiejohn : 2008-04-28 at 20:39.

Old 2008-04-29, 08:39
Hexer
Senior Metalhead

my case was the same. with the guitars shape "remodelled" with loose foam-pieces. but I guess I'm kinda lucky since my guitar is a big V and fits the dimensions of the case pretty much exactly I only add 2 of the foam-blocks at the headstock everytime to keep it from moving around and it stays where it is.

Old 2008-04-29, 10:59
STYX
New Blood

Theese hard shell cases are "new ones". Before, cases came from
Kisielewski (Poland) and were not as hard as theese ones, but fitted
guitar shapes better than "new" ones.

... and i also heard of a French guy who received his custom axe with
a damaged wing, even with theese new hard shell case!

Old 2008-04-29, 11:55
Chris_974
New Blood

I think we are talking of the same guy STYX! and it was a metallic black king V

Do you, guys, received a strap with your RAN?

Last edited by Chris_974 : 2008-04-29 at 12:55.

Old 2008-04-29, 13:50
BlackTowel
New Blood

Quote:

No

Old 2008-04-29, 14:27
Hexer
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
I think we are talking of the same guy STYX! and it was a metallic black king V

no, but I also didnt expect it hehe

Old 2008-04-29, 19:57
Chris_974
New Blood

I must admit that i did expect one lol :|

Old 2008-05-03, 12:08
Gomli
ComeOutYeBlackAndTans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotd666
Dear Steve,
the Stealth guitar in your specification will cost 1490 euros.

Best regards
Dariusz Kuczynski

So first of all: Hi I`m Gomli new member here at Metaltabs and I`m from Germany (sorry then about my bad English!)!

I must say Ran fuckin rocks.
But the thing I`m wondering about is, i`ve requested a quote for an Cruiser shaped guitar.
So the guitar was neck-thru solid color (lime green ) only 1 pickup(Seymour Duncan SH-8 B), volume knob and schaller floyd rose and, yeah that`s the guitar.
But the price was 1580€(don`t know how many dollars).
In my opinion a stealth-shaped guitar (like the one of cotd666) seems to be a little bit more expensive, than a Cruiser-Guitar doesn`t it??

Cheers guys

R.I.P moe

Old 2008-05-04, 09:39
Hexer
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomli
So first of all: Hi I`m Gomli new member here at Metaltabs and I`m from Germany (sorry then about my bad English!)!

I must say Ran fuckin rocks.
But the thing I`m wondering about is, i`ve requested a quote for an Cruiser shaped guitar.
So the guitar was neck-thru solid color (lime green ) only 1 pickup(Seymour Duncan SH-8 B), volume knob and schaller floyd rose and, yeah that`s the guitar.
But the price was 1580€(don`t know how many dollars).
In my opinion a stealth-shaped guitar (like the one of cotd666) seems to be a little bit more expensive, than a Cruiser-Guitar doesn`t it??

Cheers guys

if I remember correctly Dariusz added something like 110€ (something a bit over 100 anyways) to the price for my guitar when I requested a custom shape instead one of theirs so the diffference isnt THAT much

hi from germany to germany btw! *waves*

Old 2008-05-13, 15:45
Gomli
ComeOutYeBlackAndTans!

Yeah!!
Just finished to read thru the whole thread!!

Had to say, very sweet guitars out there (had to love those friggen` cruisers )

Now i even more cant wait to get one THANX TO YOU!!!!!!

R.I.P moe

Old 2008-05-14, 08:04
Hexer
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Yeah!!
Just finished to read thru the whole thread!!

Had to say, very sweet guitars out there (had to love those friggen` cruisers )

Now i even more cant wait to get one THANX TO YOU!!!!!!

oh believe me: thats nothing unusual at all

Old 2008-05-14, 08:33
Gomli
ComeOutYeBlackAndTans!

Ah ok , I think I´ll survive it!

R.I.P moe

Old 2008-05-14, 11:19
Hexer
Senior Metalhead

the wait is worth it after all! I speak from experience

Old 2008-05-15, 18:15
Gomli
ComeOutYeBlackAndTans!

Quote:
the wait is worth it after all! I speak from experience

Oh OK thats cool

Which guitar was yours?? Sorry I forgot

(funny to speak english to another german.....)

R.I.P moe

Old 2008-05-16, 08:48
Hexer
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Oh OK thats cool

Which guitar was yours?? Sorry I forgot

(funny to speak english to another german.....)

hehe, thats right, but I'm so used to speaking english on online-boards by now that its not all THAT unusual

mine is the custom-shaped satin-black 7-string V (with the BC Rich kinda headstock)

Old 2008-05-16, 09:32
Gomli
ComeOutYeBlackAndTans!

Ahhh OK I remember this one
Cool sexy thing btw.

R.I.P moe

Old 2008-05-16, 17:15
Hexer
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Ahhh OK I remember this one
Cool sexy thing btw.

thanks a lot! its "Guitar of the Month Febuary 2008" on sevenstring.org btw hehehe

Old 2008-05-16, 17:32
Gomli
ComeOutYeBlackAndTans!

February!My Birthday

I had to watch the other guitars there.....

R.I.P moe

Old 2008-05-28, 19:31
ShitFlowsInYourVeins
Senior Metalhead

im very interested in ran guitars, and i think im going to order one. not for a while though, as ive got no money . hexer, your guitar is fuckin sweet. i really want one, do you mine me completely ripping it off?c

Old 2008-05-28, 22:05
Hexer
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShitFlowsInYourVeins
im very interested in ran guitars, and i think im going to order one. not for a while though, as ive got no money . hexer, your guitar is fuckin sweet. i really want one, do you mine me completely ripping it off?c

lol well, actually I like the idea that I have a real one of a kind axe there hehe

of course you are free to be influenced by everything you see for your custom but it would be great if you dont rip it of 100% hehe

Old 2008-05-29, 06:51
STYX
New Blood

7 string

Hi all,

I know this post is not really about Ran guitars, but....

I'm currently looking for a good 7-strings axe to buy (Ibanez or another brand).
Are you experienced with 7-strings guitars ? Which one would you advise ?

In the future, i'll probably order a 7-Strings RAN, but for my first one, i'd like
to buy a standard model.

Thanks!

Styx

Old 2008-05-29, 07:48
TruthDevoid
Drugged Unholy

Personally, STYX, i'd go with a Schecter 7 string. I'd think you get the most bang for your buck, but then again you're talking to someone who has a strong disliking for Ibanez.

but anyway,I can't help to wonder.. if your post has nothing to do with RAN, then why did you post that in this thread, in which the sole purpose of this thread is to discuss RAN guitars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewer_from_nihil
the song serial cocksucker changed my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
Are you going to snort cheap pharmaceutical drugs with your lizard as well?

Old 2008-05-29, 08:12
STYX
New Blood

In a certain way, my post deals with RAN... all RAN 7-strings owners can
advise me to purshase one instead of a standard model...

Yes, Schecter seems to be a good choice, but as i never played one, can you tell me more about their necks, general feeling and quality?

And what about 7-Strings RAN?

Styx

Old 2008-05-29, 09:41
ShitFlowsInYourVeins
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
lol well, actually I like the idea that I have a real one of a kind axe there hehe

of course you are free to be influenced by everything you see for your custom but it would be great if you dont rip it of 100% hehe

yea i wasnt thinking of completely ripping it off, and i agree that its nice to have a guitar thats one of a kind, im just pissed off you got to that one first

the shape is fucking evil as hell
Quote:
My mother's purple strap-on.

Old 2008-05-29, 11:19
Hexer
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
yea i wasnt thinking of completely ripping it off, and i agree that its nice to have a guitar thats one of a kind, im just pissed off you got to that one first

the shape is fucking evil as hell

my own design hehehe thanks a lot!

STYX: if you dont mind buying used guitars I'd advise you to try and get a used Ibanez RG7620 (tremolo) or 7621 (no trem). they are out of production (the RG1527 is the new modell) but you can get them used for decent prices and they are really good guitars for the money. its kind of the workhorse in the 7-String area

Old 2008-05-29, 16:13
ShitFlowsInYourVeins
Senior Metalhead

did you guys get the flight case with yours? i just filled out another quote with the flight case and the price went up by about 350 euros. is it really worth that?
Quote:

Old 2008-05-29, 22:43
Hexer
Senior Metalhead

hmmmm I seem to remember my flightcase upped the price something just over 100€......

do they have different ones now?

Old 2008-05-30, 07:05
STYX
New Blood

Yes, Flight Cases are different now (rectangular hard case), but i'm surprised(350euros!). And as i know, it is not worth this price, because new flight
cases don't fit the guitar shape, it's done with pieces of foam. And once again, i remember a French guy who had ordered the flight case and receive his guitar (V Shape) with a broken wing all the same...

Old 2008-05-30, 09:37
Hexer
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Yes, Flight Cases are different now (rectangular hard case), but i'm surprised(350euros!). And as i know, it is not worth this price, because new flight
cases don't fit the guitar shape, it's done with pieces of foam. And once again, i remember a French guy who had ordered the flight case and receive his guitar (V Shape) with a broken wing all the same...

I have that same kind of flightcase

Old 2008-05-30, 10:15
sqol
Post-whore

My flightcase fits quite nicely, but there isn't a bit that is shaped to the body, but it gets held in place very well. It was only 90 euros extra, and is very well made.

The Freedom of Chaos
The Secret of The Secret
The Truth of The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undone
moonraven?....more like ass raven

Old 2008-05-30, 11:03
ShitFlowsInYourVeins
Senior Metalhead

interesting, maybe a accidentally clicked something else to make the price more but i dont think i did. ill email dariusz and ask. if you dont order the flight case, what does the guitar travel and come in?
Quote:

Old 2008-05-30, 12:46
Gomli
ComeOutYeBlackAndTans!

If i would order, I wouldn`t take a flightcase.

I can get cases much cheaper here (esspecially at my local dealers` )

R.I.P moe

Old 2008-05-30, 12:48
Gomli
ComeOutYeBlackAndTans!

Quote:
interesting, maybe a accidentally clicked something else to make the price more but i dont think i did. ill email dariusz and ask. if you dont order the flight case, what does the guitar travel and come in?

I can remember somewhere in this thread was a picture of a guitar, which was like a normal package (or kind a like).

R.I.P moe

Old 2008-06-06, 12:23
ShitFlowsInYourVeins
Senior Metalhead

how do you guys think a guitar would look with the body (and graphic) of this steve swanson kxk guitar http://www.kxkguitars.com/Steve_Swanson.html with a pat o'brien style headstock and the hellhammer logo (this http://a516.ac-images.myspacecdn.co...b31271846db.jpg)
as the 12th fret inlay?
Quote:

Old 2008-06-06, 13:20
VIA
New Blood

damn i'm sure that it would look badass, i like your idea

Old 2008-06-06, 13:27
ShitFlowsInYourVeins
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIA
damn i'm sure that it would look badass, i like your idea

thanks, i think thats probably what ill end up going for. i dont know why im even thinking about this though - i have no money
Quote:

Old 2008-06-06, 13:44
ShitFlowsInYourVeins
Senior Metalhead

btw, for anyone who cares, dariusz emailed back and told me that the additional flight case is 160 euros.
Quote:

Old 2008-06-06, 17:42
Gomli
ComeOutYeBlackAndTans!

160 €??

Yep I can get it much cheaper !

R.I.P moe

Old 2008-06-06, 18:09
ShitFlowsInYourVeins
Senior Metalhead

do you think it would be cool with dariusz if when i finally order my ran i mail him a cheaper case for him to send it in?
Quote:

Old 2008-06-07, 16:41
Gomli
ComeOutYeBlackAndTans!

Why don`t buy it yourself ?

R.I.P moe

Old 2008-06-07, 16:48
ShitFlowsInYourVeins
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Why don`t buy it yourself ?

thats what i meant, ill buy one and send it to him for him to send the guitar in

was thinking this http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en...--premium/13136
30mm padding should be enough shouldnt it?

EDIT: or this? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Flying-V-type...080604169a11935
Quote:

Last edited by ShitFlowsInYourVeins : 2008-06-07 at 16:57.

Old 2008-06-08, 11:41
Gomli
ComeOutYeBlackAndTans!

http://www.thomann.de/de/dean_guita...case_ml_v_z.htm

I`d prefer this one (of course without the logo)

I like the second one, looks

R.I.P moe

Old 2008-06-10, 13:31
In_Flames
Metalhead

Wow, man, that looks incredible! I really need to get one of these.

Old 2008-06-10, 14:05
Wolfsherz
Post-whore

Quote:
thats what i meant, ill buy one and send it to him for him to send the guitar in

was thinking this http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en...--premium/13136
30mm padding should be enough shouldnt it?

EDIT: or this? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Flying-V-type...080604169a11935

...You're really scared they'll send it in an envelope aren't you?

Aosoth - New album III out now on Agonia Recs
Epoch - bass, guitars, drums, MetaStasizing out asap
Asphixa - bass, demo out asap
Adustum - bass, guitars, full length out soon on XXXXXXXXXX recs

Quote:
Tetianblood? ... Well, 'Necrosemen' to you too. Twat.

Old 2008-06-10, 15:12
ShitFlowsInYourVeins
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfsherz
...You're really scared they'll send it in an envelope aren't you?

well since no ones actually told me from experience what they do send it in if i dont order the flight case.......

Quote:

Old 2008-06-11, 05:36
Wolfsherz
Post-whore

Quote:
well since no ones actually told me from experience what they do send it in if i dont order the flight case.......

I ordered two basses (not from Ran of course) without flightcases, and they came in cardboard-boxes, which offered enough protection (they'll pad it with that white foam-thing)

They have a reputation to hold high, whatever they'll send it in, it will offer protection.

Aosoth - New album III out now on Agonia Recs
Epoch - bass, guitars, drums, MetaStasizing out asap
Asphixa - bass, demo out asap
Adustum - bass, guitars, full length out soon on XXXXXXXXXX recs

Quote:
Tetianblood? ... Well, 'Necrosemen' to you too. Twat.

Old 2008-06-11, 13:04
Gomli
ComeOutYeBlackAndTans!

R.I.P moe

Old 2008-06-12, 09:42
Hexer
Senior Metalhead

Quote:

why dont you just send Dariusz an email asking how he sends guitars that were ordered without a case? I'm pretty sure he'd give you all the info you need

VIA: personally that styling isnt tooooo much my thing but it looks like it turned out really really cool and from experience I dont doubt the quallity have great fun with her!!

Old 2008-06-19, 13:43
Gomli
ComeOutYeBlackAndTans!

http://www.ranguitars.com/galeria/gallery.html

Watch this!
New gallery style

R.I.P moe

Old 2008-06-19, 16:35
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

Meh... I preferred the bigger photos that aren't distorted!

Old 2008-06-19, 23:19
In_Flames
Metalhead

You can make them bigger and not distorted.