MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone

Old 2006-09-04, 07:57
Wunderboy
Metalhead

Does this kinda thing happen if it's a see-thru finish?

Old 2006-09-04, 12:08
k13m
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunderboy
Does this kinda thing happen if it's a see-thru finish?
what thing?? u eman will i see the neckthrough when i put a see thru finish on the body?? YEP u will, unless theres a top on the body wichcovers the whole thing up.

http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_stef.html

the first few guitars have see thru finish and a neckthrough (on the green guitar it is easiest to see).

dno if thats what u ment, but your post was kinda unclear to me

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2006-09-04, 14:15
Wunderboy
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by k13m
what thing?? u eman will i see the neckthrough when i put a see thru finish on the body?? YEP u will, unless theres a top on the body wichcovers the whole thing up.

the first few guitars have see thru finish and a neckthrough (on the green guitar it is easiest to see).

Yeah, that's what I meant. Should've explained it more, but you got it

Dammit, I never knew that! I might have to reconsider getting a see-thru finish if I get one. Btw, what does a neck-thru look like? I've never actually seen a guitar that is neck thru. Does it's feel have any advantage over a set-neck in addition to better sustain?

Old 2006-09-04, 17:01
k13m
Post-whore

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I meant. Should've explained it more, but you got it

Dammit, I never knew that! I might have to reconsider getting a see-thru finish if I get one. Btw, what does a neck-thru look like? I've never actually seen a guitar that is neck thru. Does it's feel have any advantage over a set-neck in addition to better sustain?
yes theer are some advantages like:

since the the bridge is mounted directly onto the neck it will sustain realy good, also, since the neck goes thru the body, they can make the heel as small as possible, so reaching the say 24th fret will be alot easier than on a bolt on, where u will (almost) always have that heel that makes reaching high frets harder or just feels uncomfortable, and it looks rather nice.

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2006-09-04, 17:24
Wunderboy
Metalhead

Quote:
yes theer are some advantages like:

since the the bridge is mounted directly onto the neck it will sustain realy good, also, since the neck goes thru the body, they can make the heel as small as possible, so reaching the say 24th fret will be alot easier than on a bolt on, where u will (almost) always have that heel that makes reaching high frets harder or just feels uncomfortable, and it looks rather nice.

yeah, i heard about that small-heel thing too.
but i guess neck-thrus don't really make a difference with the sustain and sound of active pickups huh?

Old 2006-09-04, 20:28
JeremyCrow
New Blood

here's DK's reply

Quote:
a mahogany has orange color, so we have to dye it for dark look you want.we also will dye maple neck but, because it has light color the difference
will be visible, of course

hmm I guess that's ok... as long as the difference isn't as clashing as Moser's model I'm cool with it... I'll ask D. to make the neck as dark as possible...

I don't care if it's a little different.. I just don't want it to look almost yellow like Moser's original model... that's why I mentioned the white limba wood before... definitly don't want that look.

Oh btw... I asked for a quote for a Wraith in Moser's Custom Shop and he told me the waiting list would be 2+ years... just to start building... and the price would be 3000+ US.... good thing Ran exists

I'm in Europe so that would probably mean more than 3000 euros with shipping and customs... more likely 4000.

Old 2006-09-04, 20:46
k13m
Post-whore

Quote:
but i guess neck-thrus don't really make a difference with the sustain and sound of active pickups huh?
a neckthrough will sustain better wether u have active or passives, its the fact that the bridge is bolted righ onto the neck, wich provides the sustain, so if your pickups sustain alot it will sustain even more on a neckthrough obviously.

technical speaking... soundwise it might sound a bit trebblier and harsh, since most wood that makes the tone will be maple (if the neckthrough is made of maple ofcuz), where a regular will be just maple neck and some body wood, so theres a bit more wood options with boltons/glued in necks. though i doubt ull realy hear the difference alot in real life

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2006-09-04, 20:49
JeremyCrow
New Blood

I have a KH602 and the sustain of the thing is amazing... really like the sound... but I'm selling it as soon as my Ran arrives... not much of a floyd rose fan...

Oh... here's the headstock I picked

http://www.jacksonguitar.org/gall/img/gall140c.jpg

with 3 tuners up and 4 tuners on the downside...

Took me a while to decide but then I saw the headstocks on the Jackson SLSMG and KV1T and fell in love with them... the headstock finish will match the body...

Old 2006-09-04, 20:52
k13m
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyCrow
here's DK's reply

hmm I guess that's ok... as long as the difference isn't as clashing as Moser's model I'm cool with it... I'll ask D. to make the neck as dark as possible...

I don't care if it's a little different.. I just don't want it to look almost yellow like Moser's original model... that's why I mentioned the white limba wood before... definitly don't want that look.

Oh btw... I asked for a quote for a Wraith in Moser's Custom Shop and he told me the waiting list would be 2+ years... just to start building... and the price would be 3000+ US.... good thing Ran exists

I'm in Europe so that would probably mean more than 3000 euros with shipping and customs... more likely 4000.
hmm well ul always see the maple neckthrough, since mahogany goes from orangie to red brownish, andmaple is just light yellow in most cases, i think that after the dying, the yellowish maple neck will just look more brownish, so i think it will match the mahogany pretty nice..

but it wont turn out like that moser, since he used walnut for the body, wish is realy dark, wich obviously makes the maple/limba neck stand out alot.. but thats pretty obvious ofcuz

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2006-09-05, 02:25
philkilla
Crusher of Skulls

Quote:

Thats my guitar!!

I'm thinking of getting my next guitar with a walnut neck, along with other assorted tonewoods.

DAmn K13m, you've learned a lot about guitars compared to before.

My Trust is in WHISKEY and WEEDand SLAYER
Long live DIMEBAG
ROGspace Cunts. Book us

Quote:
Originally Posted by far_beyond_sane
You thought of mixing wheat flour with saturated fat, and putting it the resultant shit in a styrofoam cup. Shine on, you crazy dead yellow diamond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
May the best cunt win.

Last edited by philkilla : 2006-09-05 at 02:28.

Old 2006-09-05, 12:17
k13m
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by philkilla
I'm thinking of getting my next guitar with a walnut neck, along with other assorted tonewoods.

DAmn K13m, you've learned a lot about guitars compared to before.
yeh well, im building a guitar (and more in the future) so i gotta know what im doing and what im talking about i guess.

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2006-09-05, 16:40
Art-Of-Shredding
Senior Metalhead

Damnit my cracked mirror RR is taking forever, another month or so to wait aswell, taking way longer than my last one but i'd rather have a none rushed guitar I suppose.

Old 2006-09-05, 18:48
HermanRi!
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art-Of-Shredding
Damnit my cracked mirror RR is taking forever, another month or so to wait aswell, taking way longer than my last one but i'd rather have a none rushed guitar I suppose.

im looking forward to seeing this

Old 2006-09-05, 22:29
JeremyCrow
New Blood

I'm thinking of changing the 12th fret inscription... thinking of naming my guitar "Redemption" instead of just putting Jeremy. What do you guys think?

Old 2006-09-05, 22:30
Transient
HES BAAACK

jeremy isnt really metal. i approve..

Old 2006-09-06, 14:07
Wunderboy
Metalhead

Quote:
I'm thinking of changing the 12th fret inscription... thinking of naming my guitar "Redemption" instead of just putting Jeremy. What do you guys think?

I dunno... It's seems a bit cheesy, but who the hell am I to say?
Maybe putting your last name? Initials? Signature?

Old 2006-09-06, 17:02
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

Does 'Redemption' actually mean anything to you, or is it just a cool word you like?

Jeremy is your name... it ties the guitar to you, makes it personal. By all means if you don't feel it's metal enough, then think of something else, but keep it personal.

Old 2006-09-07, 08:58
HermanRi!
Post-whore

redemption is fucking cheesey! it instantly makes you sound like one of those sad gay goths who dress up in black with face paint and shit.

Old 2006-09-07, 16:46
HalfmastTrousers
Supreme Metalhead

I'd say put your name somewhere on the guitar unless you think you might sell it. That way, if it gets stolen, you can get it back easier.

with my own time role your own innocence by
grab on to my sleeve the one that grabs at your ankle
debate to understand that we all have a flaw
then fail to represent your life as you know it
god grant you one wish to turn back the time... correct and create

me and my star
matthew good night
you know by law when you'll be forgiven
maria my star
matthew goodnight
you know my lord when you'll be forgiven

Old 2006-09-07, 21:21
JeremyCrow
New Blood

I'm having a " Custom made for Jeremy " silk screen on the headstock, besides the Ran logo of course.. something like this

http://www.ranguitars.com/imi/katalog/IMG_4618.jpg

I just thought it'd be cool to have a model name, other that my own... I didn't really specify the font and style of the words on the headstock and on the 12th fret so I'm kinda browsing through some ideas...

P.S. - some people on this forum are kind of aggressive uh?

P.P.S. - look at what I found... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RAN-CUSTOM-BL...1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by JeremyCrow : 2006-09-07 at 22:01.

Old 2006-09-08, 04:25
philkilla
Crusher of Skulls

Quote:
P.S. - some people on this forum are kind of aggressive uh?

Most people on this forum aren't even of legal age to do anything.

Quote:

Looks like the hitman logo for the inlay.

My Trust is in WHISKEY and WEEDand SLAYER
Long live DIMEBAG
ROGspace Cunts. Book us

Quote:
Originally Posted by far_beyond_sane
You thought of mixing wheat flour with saturated fat, and putting it the resultant shit in a styrofoam cup. Shine on, you crazy dead yellow diamond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
May the best cunt win.

Old 2006-09-08, 07:32
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by philkilla
Most people on this forum aren't even of legal age to do anything.

Right, so ignore the angst. Most peeps at Metaltabs would rather flame you than look at you unless you conform. Be yourself and be that perfectly.

Btw, I have never seen a custom 12th inlay I really liked and would have on my guitar. Thats just me though. If you want it than get it. I just think it looks like crap on most guitars unless it compliments the rest just right.

Old 2006-09-08, 08:23
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulinsane
Btw, I have never seen a custom 12th inlay I really liked and would have on my guitar. Thats just me though. If you want it than get it. I just think it looks like crap on most guitars unless it compliments the rest just right.

Yeah, I spent ages deciding what to have.

Try putting 'symbolism' into Google Images and see if there is anything you see that you like. Don't forget to find out what a symbol is symbolic of first though, you don't want something on your guitar which means "total and utter penis" or something...

Old 2006-09-08, 14:40
HermanRi!
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmaster213
Yeah, I spent ages deciding what to have.

Try putting 'symbolism' into Google Images and see if there is anything you see that you like. Don't forget to find out what a symbol is symbolic of first though, you don't want something on your guitar which means "total and utter penis" or something...

that ran m-II on ebay is fucking class, the hitman inlays dont really suit it tho.

Old 2006-09-08, 14:49
HermanRi!
Post-whore

i found another ran on ebay.de

http://cgi.ebay.de/RAN-Custom-E-Git...1QQcmdZViewItem

it looks kinda fake, but i cant ready german so i dont know

Old 2006-09-08, 16:01
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

Looks real enough to me, but it's not as nice as the M-II copy.

Old 2006-09-08, 23:38
HermanRi!
Post-whore

yea, it seems legit
heres the auction roughly translated by babelfish:

They offer here on a genuine, hand-made e-guitar from the Customshop of Ran Guitars. The guitar can be taped fantastically, which probably is because of the neck, since he is appropriate for fast play by its thin profile. The griffbrett is painted and whereupon is Sharkfin - Inlays (who possesses once a guitar with a painted griffbrett, becomes never again of it loose-comes). The screwed neck and the griffbrett consist of maple and the korpus are complete of erle. With this combination one gets a beautifully bright, transparent and aggressive clay/tone, which however never works importunately. The guitar is appropriate for Metal, can however by its flexible pick-up assembly also well for other music directions be used. By the Singlecoil pick-ups at the neck and in the central position can be produced beautiful Cleansounds, and pressure makes correct for the Humbucker at the bar with distorted play. Owing to 5 ways Pickupschalter can be come the most diverse clay/tone variants all 3 pick-ups from the house Merlin, which designs also only pick-ups on order. The pick-ups are handwound and not as by machine with cheap models wound! The mechanisms come from the well-known German company Schaller and are much high-quality. By the licensed Schaller Floyd rose Vibrato does not detune the guitar also with the hardest Vibratoeinsatz. With the purchase of the guitar there is still the suit-case, a set of Dean Markley (10-46er) to strings and still another guitar belt in addition. In the end I would not like again legends that the guitar a completely handbuilt Unikat am, it came CNC would eat with build to the employment. The guitarists of the well-known Metal of volume Vader and Annihilator swear on these guitars. (more information to Ran Guitars gives it on www.ranguitars.com) The original value amounted to 1100 at that time?. The guitar is used, is however in a very good condition. It gives a few small lacquer scratch, which is to be recognized however only with very exact seen! Do not hesitate they me while questions to contacting. The guitar can be alluded at any time with me according to agreement. Much fun with offer!

Old 2006-09-09, 06:32
xeper
New Blood

Pickups in that guitar it's Merlin from Olsztyn (my friend made it ), these pickups are passive, but they are good... This guitar is one of some old models of Rans....

Old 2006-09-09, 06:37
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Like how old? I've got the oldest Ran that I know of around this part of the world.

Old 2006-09-09, 15:10
JeremyCrow
New Blood

finally finished reading the 167 pages lol... great looking guitars you guys have... I especially enjoyed HalfmastTrousers Invader ( it'd be cooler with no inlays IMO )... really cute... oh and the blue shadow.. don't remember who's the owner... And that Invader with the Beast headstock that was in the Ran Spain site...

Old 2006-09-09, 22:03
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulinsane
Like how old? I've got the oldest Ran that I know of around this part of the world.

Well I'm guessing the dude is from Poland, and so it makes sense that he'd know people with older Rans than yours. That Invader on the Ran User site was clearly around for a while before it ended up on the site, and it's probably one of the first guitars to go on the site I think.

It's an interesting question though... when did Ran actually come into being? I'm sure Dariusz made guitars before 'forming' Ran, and even then it must have taken a while to get noticed globally (although making sure Poland's finest bands played them was obviously a help...).

Old 2006-09-11, 20:22
JeremyCrow
New Blood

the KH2 went for about 600 euros... and the other one with the Marlin pups went for 300... pretty good prices for such good axes...

Old 2006-09-13, 00:46
HalfmastTrousers
Supreme Metalhead

For shits and giggle i asked Dariusz to make me a neck only...tomorrow i'll see if he doesnt mind this or he doesnt want his necks tainted by other guitar bodies

is Ran's AANJ construction similar to Ibanez or are the screws placed differently?

me and my star
matthew good night
maria my star
matthew goodnight

Old 2006-09-13, 02:22
Wunderboy
Metalhead

Hey, does anybody know what wood type this is?...

[image]

Old 2006-09-13, 10:40
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Hey, does anybody know what wood type this is?...

[image]

Zebrawood I think.

If not it'll be something exotic and probably African.

Old 2006-09-13, 10:43
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfmastTrousers
For shits and giggle i asked Dariusz to make me a neck only...tomorrow i'll see if he doesnt mind this or he doesnt want his necks tainted by other guitar bodies

is Ran's AANJ construction similar to Ibanez or are the screws placed differently?

I think it'd depend on the design as a whole... surely it depends on the body it's designed to attach to. I wouldn't bank on them being the same at all, but he doesn't have to mark the screw holes at all, you can do it when you attach it to whatever body you have in mind.

Old 2006-09-13, 12:57
k13m
Post-whore

Quote:
Zebrawood I think.

If not it'll be something exotic and probably African.
it reminds me a bit of zebrawood, but im realy doubting ifit is zebrawood, most zebrawood is much lighter (more yellowish), with darks tripes.. mayeb they stained the guitar, but if you look at the picture of the headstock ull see a little piece of fretboard, wich is the same kind of wood.

since zebrawood is rather soft, i realy doubt theyd use that on a fretboard, also zebrawood smells like shit (literaly) when u saw/file/sand it (believe me i know) so i guess playing a zebrawoodfretboard guitar will eventualy smell like shit, cause the strings will wear the wood a littlebit i gues

i think its some kind of rosewood laminate

EDIT: zebrawood http://www.kbguitars.com/images/woods/zebra.jpg

< no wonder hes mad!!

Last edited by k13m : 2006-09-13 at 13:00.

Old 2006-09-13, 13:09
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

It reminds me of macassar ebony and to a lesser degree cocobolo, but I highly doubt that since most people do not build guitar bodies out of those woods.

Old 2006-09-13, 13:20
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

Smells like shit eh?! Nice!

I know that saw dust from some of these strange woods are very carcenogenic... which isn't cool. See; metal WILL kill you... well, the luthier anyway.

Old 2006-09-13, 13:37
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

I heard that cocobolo sawdust iritates the skin like poison ivy, plus its bad for your lungs.

Old 2006-09-13, 14:02
k13m
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThornsOfHeaven200
I heard that cocobolo sawdust iritates the skin like poison ivy, plus its bad for your lungs.
actualy, every type of wood dust is bad for you, but yeh cocobolo is just pure toxic, it can cause cancer, for as far as i know cocobolo is one of the worst of em all

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2006-09-13, 14:04
k13m
Post-whore

Quote:
It reminds me of macassar ebony and to a lesser degree cocobolo, but I highly doubt that since most people do not build guitar bodies out of those woods.
well, the body is mostlikely made of mahogany, its just a laminate on top

and actualy i could be macassar ebony, i dont realy think theyd use cocobolo for a top, cocobolo is more redbrownish mostly..

lol, what wood isit

EDIT: ok im almost sure its macassar ebony after seeing this http://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...9e2b20&ei=UTF-8

< no wonder hes mad!!

Last edited by k13m : 2006-09-13 at 14:07.

Old 2006-09-13, 14:25
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

Yeah, that looks like a very good match. I really like the grain and color of macassar ebony. I'm thinking about using that as a fretboard or maybe pau ferro, still not sure.

Old 2006-09-13, 14:37
k13m
Post-whore

Quote:
Yeah, that looks like a very good match. I really like the grain and color of macassar ebony. I'm thinking about using that as a fretboard or maybe pau ferro, still not sure.
hmm macassar ebony and pau ferro are both beautifull fingerboard woods, you should see what tonal sceps they have, i know macassar ebony is just like ebony, realy hard and plenty of highs and a realy snappy attack, but i dont know about pau ferro.

EDIT: ok i just read on a few sites that pau ferro is alot like ebony but a bit warmer, dno how true this is, since each site or wood info site say alot of different stuff about the same wood species woods.

what do you mean by
Quote:
I'm thinking about using that as a fretboard or maybe pau ferro, still not sure.
do you mean using that on a guitar ur gonna have build or a guitar your building yourself??... just cusious since im into building myself completely..its just the damn weather here keeps me from building cuz my fucking wood supplie is reacting to it

< no wonder hes mad!!

Last edited by k13m : 2006-09-13 at 14:41.

Old 2006-09-13, 14:44
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

I mean on a guitar that I'm gonna have build. I love learning about the building methods, woods and basically anything to do with making guitars, but I suck at wood working. I would practice some more and try to biuld my own guitars, but I dont have any room or money to buy the necessary machines and stuff to craft my own instrument. But that would be a future endeavor...
I looked at the warmoth site and it said that pau ferro sounds warmer than ebony but brighter than rosewood.

Old 2006-09-13, 14:58
k13m
Post-whore

hmm thats interesting, ive bene wonderingif there was a fretboard wood that is between ebony and rosewood

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2006-09-13, 15:15
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

Well there you go

Have you ever worked with black or white korina(limba) wood before? The grain pattern looks nice to me, plus the tone is suppose to be like mahogany with added mids and slighty more highs. Sounds like my kinda wood

Old 2006-09-13, 18:56
k13m
Post-whore

Quote:
Well there you go

Have you ever worked with black or white korina(limba) wood before? The grain pattern looks nice to me, plus the tone is suppose to be like mahogany with added mids and slighty more highs. Sounds like my kinda wood
nah not yet, but i really wanna try some limba sometime, but man i have way to much ideas and no money lol

once ill have a job and money ill be getting some more woods

for now i just have mahogany for body, enough for 4 maple necks, big piece of padouk that could make a realy thick top for a guitarbody, and a piece of perfectly quartersawn padouk for a neck (wich was actualy the cheapest piece of wood i bought.. only 10 euros lol my frikking flamed maple fretboard already was 35 euros

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2006-09-13, 20:53
HalfmastTrousers
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusz
Chris,
sorry, we don`t make replacement parts now.
We are completely absorbed with building of custom guitars, so I have stopped this part of our work.

Best regards
Dariusz Kuczynski

me and my star
matthew good night
maria my star
matthew goodnight

Old 2006-09-13, 23:57
k13m
Post-whore

Quote:
i guess that was perdictable in a way.

btw, what guitar brand type do you want a neck for??

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2006-09-14, 02:48
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Quote:

Yeah, sorry to hear that but you might be able to order a complete unfinished guitar with a Ran inlay on the headstock. Then you could finish it, pick parts, and set it up yourself. That would be fun as hell, I think.

Old 2006-09-14, 06:43
4nkam
New Blood

I know the guy that owns/owned that guitar and it is indeed a mahogany body with a macassor ebony top.

mJ

Old 2006-09-14, 14:28
k13m
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4nkam
I know the guy that owns/owned that guitar and it is indeed a mahogany body with a macassor ebony top.

mJ
oh cool

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2006-09-14, 20:59
Wunderboy
Metalhead

Quote:

mJ

Damn. really?
Is that guy loaded? Cuz, if i'm right, he's got 4 Ken Lawrences.

Edit: btw, does anybody know if it's a good idea to use macassar ebony?

Last edited by Wunderboy : 2006-09-14 at 21:06.

Old 2006-09-14, 21:22
HalfmastTrousers
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:

mJ

you're everywhere, huh, monty?

me and my star
matthew good night
maria my star
matthew goodnight

Old 2006-09-14, 22:23
k13m
Post-whore

Quote:
Edit: btw, does anybody know if it's a good idea to use macassar ebony?
that realy depends how ur planning on using it.

macassar ebony would be perfect for a fretboard (like every ebony outthere).

for a neck, nope i wouldt, cuz ebony is a heavy wood, it would make the head of the guitar go down cuz of the weight, it would probaly also sound to shrill and sharp, cuz ebony has alot of highs (probaly more than maple)

for a solid body.. nope, same story as for the neck, way to heavy IMO, unles u want fucking back problem cuz your guitar weights a ton it also wont be realy good soundwise i think

for laminated top. yes u could do that... in case u didnt know, laminated tops are like 1 mm thick, so they wont realy do anything soundwise, its more for the looks.

wanna know more??

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2006-09-14, 22:49
Wunderboy
Metalhead

Quote:
that realy depends how ur planning on using it.

macassar ebony would be perfect for a fretboard (like every ebony outthere).

for a neck, nope i wouldt, cuz ebony is a heavy wood, it would make the head of the guitar go down cuz of the weight, it would probaly also sound to shrill and sharp, cuz ebony has alot of highs (probaly more than maple)

for a solid body.. nope, same story as for the neck, way to heavy IMO, unles u want fucking back problem cuz your guitar weights a ton it also wont be realy good soundwise i think

for laminated top. yes u could do that... in case u didnt know, laminated tops are like 1 mm thick, so they wont realy do anything soundwise, its more for the looks.

wanna know more??

Damn, you should be a professor for guitar 101 or something

Actually, I would like to know since laminated tops are as thin as you say, does it make it almost see-through or transparent?

Does that Ken Lawrence explorer pic i posted have a laminated macassar top? or is it just a top?

Old 2006-09-14, 23:07
k13m
Post-whore

Quote:
Damn, you should be a professor for guitar 101 or something
well every idiot fits in somewhere, so i guess this is my area

Quote:
Actually, I would like to know since laminated tops are as thin as you say, does it make it almost see-through or transparent?

Does that Ken Lawrence explorer pic i posted have a laminated macassar top? or is it just a top?
euhm, im not realy sure, i dont think that laminate tops will be see through or transparent, i mean if i look at some leftover woods from planning bodies etc these are pieces of wood wich are way less that 1 mm (moer like a fraction of a mm), and these hardly are see through (unless u keep em against the light). but this will probaly depends on the wood aswell.

also when u have a closer look at the picture i attached of that ken lawrence guitar u mentioned, it has a bit thicker top (lets just call it a regular top lol), hard to say exactly how thick, but im guessing the fretboard is maybe 5 to 7 mm thick, so im guessing the top is like 4/5 mm thick. just guessing though

but see for yourself, u should get the idea

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2006-09-14, 23:18
Wunderboy
Metalhead

Quote:
well every idiot fits in somewhere, so i guess this is my area

euhm, im not realy sure, i dont think that laminate tops will be see through or transparent, i mean if i look at some leftover woods from planning bodies etc these are pieces of wood wich are way less that 1 mm (moer like a fraction of a mm), and these hardly are see through (unless u keep em against the light). but this will probaly depends on the wood aswell.

also when u have a closer look at the picture i attached of that ken lawrence guitar u mentioned, it has a bit thicker top (lets just call it a regular top lol), hard to say exactly how thick, but im guessing the fretboard is maybe 5 to 7 mm thick, so im guessing the top is like 4/5 mm thick. just guessing though

but see for yourself, u should get the idea

I'd really love to get that exact thickness.

I mean, it wouldn't really make any difference, soundwise, if your using active pickups right?

Old 2006-09-14, 23:32
k13m
Post-whore

Quote:
I'd really love to get that exact thickness.

I mean, it wouldn't really make any difference, soundwise, if your using active pickups right?
im not sure, it wouldnt be a huge difference with actives i guess, maybe the guitar will have a bit more sustain or attack.

its realy hard to say what some kind of wood will do to your sound, i can just guess by thinking what the sound characteristics are of the wood, the body neck etc.

somewhere it makes sence to me why that ken lawrence guitar has a ebony top. since the body and the neck are made of mahogany, u kinda want some kind of a top onit, like maple or ebony, or anything that gives more highs, since mahogany has more lows and kinda lacks the highs.

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2006-09-15, 18:09
Ozzuk
Senior Metalhead

Gahh got delayed I guess could have been me changing the neck finish on it...

So Mid November is the approximate date.

Hey monty is that one of brians or ansleys KL's...

Both dude's are really cool though adn deserve nice shit...

So the punsiher should be here in november w00t hopefully i'll be giging then and can use it live...

Ozz

Old 2006-09-15, 18:28
Wunderboy
Metalhead

I asked Dariusz about Maccasar Ebony

"Hi,
now, we offer macassar ebony fingerboards only (60 euros)...tops will be available soon!"

I can't wait. I'd love to have a maccassar ebony top...

Edit: What do you guys think? I'm really into that Ken Lawrence exp. IF i were to get a Ran, do you think I should get em to make a guitar thats almost the same as that? Or is it wrong to be so unoriginal?

Last edited by Wunderboy : 2006-09-15 at 18:35.

Old 2006-09-15, 20:17
k13m
Post-whore

Quote:
I asked Dariusz about Maccasar Ebony

"Hi,
now, we offer macassar ebony fingerboards only (60 euros)...tops will be available soon!"

I can't wait. I'd love to have a maccassar ebony top...

Edit: What do you guys think? I'm really into that Ken Lawrence exp. IF i were to get a Ran, do you think I should get em to make a guitar thats almost the same as that? Or is it wrong to be so unoriginal?
hmm, unoriginal, i dno, if you eraly liek the shape of that axe, then who cares.

also, being original asfar as guitars goes is REALY REALY hard..

im eraly onto building myself, and i trying to get some of my own models and shapes and stuff, its almost impossible, so many shapes have bene done, and prettymuch all shapes are rippoffs from other shapes, unless u build some realy gay shaped guitar thats unplayable maybe

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2006-09-15, 21:09
Wunderboy
Metalhead

Quote:
hmm, unoriginal, i dno, if you eraly liek the shape of that axe, then who cares.

also, being original asfar as guitars goes is REALY REALY hard..

im eraly onto building myself, and i trying to get some of my own models and shapes and stuff, its almost impossible, so many shapes have bene done, and prettymuch all shapes are rippoffs from other shapes, unless u build some realy gay shaped guitar thats unplayable maybe

I thinks it's great that ure into building guitars on your own. Must take a shitload of effort.

Actually, I tried to be original with that sketch I did of the razorback explorer, but I kinda thought I was going over the top. I don't really want a VERY elaborately shaped guitar, such as razorbacks. I'd go with the regular Dean MLs.

There are these really ridiculous guitars made by Fusion Masterworks . They're really original, but they looked fucked up imo.

Now back to my originality. I was actually considering not only having that KL shape, but the finish as well.

Old 2006-09-15, 21:35
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

The shape I'm having made for me isn't really original. It's a combination of other styles, and while I haven't ever seen one exactly like it, I have seen plenty that are very similar.

Just like my riffs then...

Old 2006-09-16, 01:45
k13m
Post-whore

Quote:
There are these really ridiculous guitars made by Fusion Masterworks . They're really original, but they looked fucked up imo.
actualy.. those thinigs are not guitars, they what i call furniture, a waste of wood.

i remember, i walked into this big ass guitar store with a friend of mine to check out some guitars, and i sayd, man they have a shitload of furnituer here lol, he looked at me like wtf, but i seem to have that effect on peeple alot lol

a guitar isnt realy about shapes, its what it does to the person playing it.

ive owned a bunch of guitars, most were high end models, the most expensive guitar i owned was a 2750 euro jackson warrior usa, and actualy, it didnt do shit for me, playing it didnt satisfie me, i didnt feel attached to the thing, so although it being a realy good guitar, it was a realy bad guitar.

i have a custom build guitar now, same story as above, its a crappy piece of wood that doesnt do anything for me, this may sound kinda weird, but these things have no soul as i call it.

that custom guitar is at the builders place at the moment, to get some shit changed to it, but ill end up selling it anyway, i just know. i dont wanna play it lol.

i play my dads custom made guitar, its like 15 to 17 years old now, its bene designed by my dad, and build by the same guy that build my other custom axe, but i guess he did put alot more effort into this one than in, playing this thing is the best, although the frets are worn out and the high e string buzzes from 1st to 5th fret and shit, but this thing is full of soul, this thing is a real guitar, it does what a guitar is supposed to do, i pick it up, and i dont wana put it away anymore, the more i play the more i become one withit, this probaly seems realy weird and shit, but its true.

this is also y i started building myself (not that ive made alot of progres yet due to money issues and stuff)/ but i just found out there will be no guitar that will ever satisfie, with the exeption of my dads guitar, and hopefully someday my own guitars.

sry for the whole philosopical thing
just thought id share my vision on guitars

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2006-09-16, 13:33
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

I understand man, I was originalliy going to have Ran build my custom (which is why I have so much interest in this thread, I think they are awesome) but my friend who is being taught by a luthier, who is really into extreme metal like Morbid Angel and Death, really wanted me to be his first 'customer'. He wanted to build me a guitar that wasn't just another in a long line of orders, that was more personal, if you know what I mean. We have both put tons of effort into it, and we even scrapped a neck because he decided he hadn't done it perfectly, and now it's all coming together and it's just amazing. Far cooler than just sending off my money and spec sheet and waiting months. I go in most weeks and see how it's coming along, and make decisions about how things should be. I help physically too, and I'm constantly modifying the 'blueprints' to accomodate changes. (My mockup was actually a 1:1 scale technical drawing which we printed out as the body template and routing diagrams) It's been hard trying to source all the hardware (it seems that everyone has supply problems) but I know it will be worth the wait.

But yeah, it takes far more than just a cool shape to make a good guitar.

Oh and dude, those Fusion guitars are made from metal...

Last edited by Deathmaster213 : 2006-09-16 at 13:36.

Old 2006-09-16, 15:01
k13m
Post-whore

Quote:
I understand man, I was originalliy going to have Ran build my custom (which is why I have so much interest in this thread, I think they are awesome) but my friend who is being taught by a luthier, who is really into extreme metal like Morbid Angel and Death, really wanted me to be his first 'customer'. He wanted to build me a guitar that wasn't just another in a long line of orders, that was more personal, if you know what I mean. We have both put tons of effort into it, and we even scrapped a neck because he decided he hadn't done it perfectly, and now it's all coming together and it's just amazing. Far cooler than just sending off my money and spec sheet and waiting months. I go in most weeks and see how it's coming along, and make decisions about how things should be. I help physically too, and I'm constantly modifying the 'blueprints' to accomodate changes. (My mockup was actually a 1:1 scale technical drawing which we printed out as the body template and routing diagrams) It's been hard trying to source all the hardware (it seems that everyone has supply problems) but I know it will be worth the wait.

But yeah, it takes far more than just a cool shape to make a good guitar.

Oh and dude, those Fusion guitars are made from metal...
cool man thats what guitars are about i think, creating a personal thing
nice to hear u feel the same way about instruments.

and guitars made of metal damn

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2006-09-17, 03:41
Wunderboy
Metalhead

Quote:
i have a custom build guitar now, same story as above, its a crappy piece of wood that doesnt do anything for me, this may sound kinda weird, but these things have no soul as i call it.

that custom guitar is at the builders place at the moment, to get some shit changed to it, but ill end up selling it anyway, i just know. i dont wanna play it lol.

Are you talking about your Ran?

Old 2006-09-17, 22:51
k13m
Post-whore

Quote:
Are you talking about your Ran?
naah, i was thinking of a ran before, but my dad is a close friend to the only masterguitarbuilder in holland, he build like 4 or 5 guitars for my dad years ago when he kinad just started building guitars, i had him build a jackson warrior shaped guitar. also he made it rather cheap (the way i asked for it) no finish just oil, nothing to fancy i payd 1300 euros i believe, but it plays just as good as the jackon i owned a year and a half ago, wich costed me 2750.

i didnt know alot about woods and other guitar related stuff, so i just asked for the specs that the original jackson version had, but while the building took place my ideas about guitar changed alot, i started looking up info on woods and stuff, i started kinda studying guitarbuilding and got more into that, so by the time the guitar was done i realized i wanted sumtin completely different. to bad, but il probaly try to sell it sometime soon. the guitar is realy good though, it plays fast and smooth, but its just not my thing, the specs are not how i like a guitar nowadays.

thats also the reason y i dont realy like playing it, i figured i'd rather build my own guitars from now on, cuz then i can build whatever i feel like at the moment, if i want a 8 string with fanned frets i just build one myself...

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2006-09-18, 13:25
Wunderboy
Metalhead

Quote:
naah, i was thinking of a ran before, but my dad is a close friend to the only masterguitarbuilder in holland, he build like 4 or 5 guitars for my dad years ago when he kinad just started building guitars, i had him build a jackson warrior shaped guitar. also he made it rather cheap (the way i asked for it) no finish just oil, nothing to fancy i payd 1300 euros i believe, but it plays just as good as the jackon i owned a year and a half ago, wich costed me 2750.

i didnt know alot about woods and other guitar related stuff, so i just asked for the specs that the original jackson version had, but while the building took place my ideas about guitar changed alot, i started looking up info on woods and stuff, i started kinda studying guitarbuilding and got more into that, so by the time the guitar was done i realized i wanted sumtin completely different. to bad, but il probaly try to sell it sometime soon. the guitar is realy good though, it plays fast and smooth, but its just not my thing, the specs are not how i like a guitar nowadays.

thats also the reason y i dont realy like playing it, i figured i'd rather build my own guitars from now on, cuz then i can build whatever i feel like at the moment, if i want a 8 string with fanned frets i just build one myself...

Cool dude. Your fukn lucky, i wish that my dad was close friends with a guitar builder.

But now you got me all scared. Scared that I'm gonna have a guitar made for me, and I'm not gonna like at all and then end up selling it.

Old 2006-09-18, 13:32
k13m
Post-whore

Quote:
Cool dude. Your fukn lucky, i wish that my dad was close friends with a guitar builder.

But now you got me all scared. Scared that I'm gonna have a guitar made for me, and I'm not gonna like at all and then end up selling it.
well, make sure that you know what you want, like what scale elnght, what number of frets, wood types, hardware, width of the neck etc... pickups wont matter alot cuz those are easy replacable at any time.. but yeh its eraly hard to deceide what to get.

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2006-09-18, 14:08
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

I spent a very long time thinking about what I wanted, and yeah I changed my mind a lot. I didn't really think about body woods, and I just assumed I'd use alder, but it was the luthier who suggested I go for Mahogany for a strength factor (spikey body design) rather than a sound factor.

Try talking to the person who you want to build it, ask their opinion, use their knowledge. Take your time and you're more likely to end up with an instrument you'll be playing for the rest fo your life.

Old 2006-09-18, 14:18
Wunderboy
Metalhead

I'll keep that in mind guys

Thanks

Old 2006-09-19, 13:39
Wunderboy
Metalhead

Holy shit
I just asked Dariusz how much it would cost for them to ship a guitar over to where I live (Saudi Arabia), and he said 450 Euros.

Old 2006-09-19, 14:01
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Holy shit
I just asked Dariusz how much it would cost for them to ship a guitar over to where I live (Saudi Arabia), and he said 450 Euros.

Thats gotta be a third of the cost of the guitar...

Old 2006-09-19, 14:54
k13m
Post-whore

Quote:
Holy shit
holy fuck, for that money you could go overthere to pick it up yourself i guess but damn that sucks buddy

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2006-09-19, 15:56
Wunderboy
Metalhead

Haha, yeah, it's actually a quarter of the cost of the guitar.
It's a shitload of money for just shipping you know. And there'll also be something for customs as well
I don't know what to do now. Go with it or forget about it?

How much did shipping duties cost for everybody else who got a Ran?

Old 2006-09-19, 16:39
Art-Of-Shredding
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
It's a shitload of money for just shipping you know. And there'll also be something for customs as well

20e

Old 2006-09-19, 20:07
JeremyCrow
New Blood

30 euros... Portugal here

Old 2006-09-19, 20:55
k13m
Post-whore

Quote:

for that money, i dno :S 450 for just shipping is ridiculous, i dno for that kinda of money i wouldnt do it personaly

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2006-09-20, 08:22
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

When I got my quote to the UK it was 30 Euros shipping. Understandably everyone on th EU wouldn't have to pay much.

Are companies charging loads to take big items to the Middle East or something?

Old 2006-09-20, 15:25
Wunderboy
Metalhead

Quote:
When I got my quote to the UK it was 30 Euros shipping. Understandably everyone on th EU wouldn't have to pay much.

Are companies charging loads to take big items to the Middle East or something?

Considering the terrible state it's in, probably yeah.
But I don't really know.

How much did it cost for the people outside the EU? The States for instance?

Old 2006-09-21, 13:11
Heavy Jerk
Metalhead

guys what wood be best as a top wood on mahaogany body, jsut to keep sound balance, maple or some else?

Old 2006-09-21, 13:23
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

maple or ebony or some other wood than sounds bright

Old 2006-09-21, 14:24
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jerk
guys what wood be best as a top wood on mahaogany body, jsut to keep sound balance, maple or some else?

I'm putting a maple top on mine.

Old 2006-09-21, 15:32
k13m
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jerk
there are a bunch of woods that give a mahogany body some more highs. maple, ebony, purpleheart and some more i cant come up with now.

but maple is used most cuz of the flamed and quilted figures they have sumtimes, that just looks amazing

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2006-09-22, 08:11
Wunderboy
Metalhead

People actually use ebony as top woods?
That sounds pretty cool.

Old 2006-09-22, 11:56
k13m
Post-whore

Quote:
People actually use ebony as top woods?
That sounds pretty cool.
take alook here http://www.blackmachine.net/ some of their guitars have ebony tops, it looks pretycool

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2006-09-22, 13:06
Wunderboy
Metalhead

Quote:
take alook here http://www.blackmachine.net/ some of their guitars have ebony tops, it looks pretycool

Damn. Those 8-string guitars look so bad-ass. And that B2 is thin like a motherfucker!
btw, Indian Ebony is the exact same thing as Macassar Ebony right?

Old 2006-09-22, 16:40
underdestruction
New Blood

Quote:

So what are the specs ? Maybe I'll buy it from you

Old 2006-09-22, 16:48
k13m
Post-whore

Quote:
Damn. Those 8-string guitars look so bad-ass. And that B2 is thin like a motherfucker!
btw, Indian Ebony is the exact same thing as Macassar Ebony right?
i dno but i think their different

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2006-09-22, 16:54
k13m
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdestruction
So what are the specs ? Maybe I'll buy it from you
well euhm..
jacksor warrior shape (not exactly the same the sides where the neck meets the body are a bit different to make accesing the 24th fret easier)
-maple necktrough
-alder body
-ebony fingerboard
-24 jumbo frets
-mother of pearl sharkfin inlays
-lespaul style pickupswitch switch
-seymourduncan distortion (bridge)
-dimarzio fred (neck)
-kahler flatmount trem 2315
-1 11/16 nuts width
-not sure about the tunermachines, but i think gotoh
-1 volume pot, no tone.
- pushpull volume pot to change humbuckers to singlecoils
-oil finish.

i dont have pictures ofit, its at the builders place at the moment, cuz i had the neck profile changed a bit, i dno when im gonna pick it up, might take a while since i dont play the guitar anyway.

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2006-09-22, 17:37
Invader
New Blood

Damn, all this talk about macassar ebony got me thinking about getting macassar fingerboard instead of the standard ebony one.

I was thinking about something like this:
http://www.fbbcustom.com/basses/p044-01/p044-top.jpg
http://www.fbbcustom.com/basses/1067-02/1067-top.jpg

I think it would fit this design pretty nicely:
http://www.cc.puv.fi/~e0300583/Fina...ised_design.JPG

Decisions, decisions...

Old 2006-09-22, 18:48
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

Macassar ebony looks nice. I like the mix of browns and blacks. It should sound the same as ebony, it just looks cooler. I'm thinking about getting a custom and there are so many details that I wanna get right before I actually order one so it will be MY perfect and unique instrument. If you like macassar ebony, check out other exotic woods (lacewood,snakewood,koa,korina or limba, pau ferro, cocobolo,etc...) I for one am going for a pau ferro fretboard and a koa body and neck. Better not use that wood combo, its mine, ALL MINE!

Old 2006-09-22, 19:09
k13m
Post-whore

i want to use snakewood for a fretboard sometime, but seeing the prices of that wood scares me sumtimes they go way over 300 USD for just a fretboard

also, some pieces of koa are sooo fucking nice for the eye, realy nice choise

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2006-09-23, 11:26
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

Snakewood looks amazing... if it's expensive I guess it's pretty rare?

Old 2006-09-23, 14:22
k13m
Post-whore

Quote:
Snakewood looks amazing... if it's expensive I guess it's pretty rare?
yeah it rather rare wood.

its also realy hard and dense, ive heard peeple compare it to glass, theres not realy a visible grain, you can polish it to make it shine.

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2006-09-23, 18:55
k13m
Post-whore

i finaly make my decision, since ill probaly never be able to buy a fanned fret guitar i might aswel just build it myself .

my guitar will have a 22 fret multiscale fretboard fanned frets.
640cm scale to 680cm scale. i dno what scale it is in inches but 25,5'' = 650cm.

next problem.. inlays?? or no inlays??

EDIT: i made some pics.

the headstock is just an idea i have, its a conklin headstock ripoff.
and im not suer about the body yet, i wanted to build a tele as a first guitar, but i might change that if i find a cool body shape....i already have a few cool shapes, but my body blanks arent big enough

< no wonder hes mad!!

Last edited by k13m : 2006-09-23 at 19:52.

Old 2006-09-23, 20:05
Heavy Jerk
Metalhead

k13, what looks like that oil finish? I,m thinking for myself to get some guitar with natural finish, actually in violinflat finish, i think of some white binding, but any binding would harm the looks, because it's natural finish, do u think so? What is ur suggestion, to put quilted or just flamed maple top or not, im not sure yet.