MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone

Old 2006-06-23, 22:13
in chains
New Blood

ran body

hello

I have a question, I don't really know what kind of wood for the body and neck that I should use.
could somebody tell something more about it ?
It can't be to heavy ,light and strong!

thanx
in chains

Old 2006-06-26, 21:32
Jed Anderson
New Blood

I'm well excited, just finished up finalising my quote and recieved my invoice from DK, and im gonna be sending my payment on Saturday.

I've changed my ideas now though...

I'm getting a copy of a Dime USA dimeslime but with 7 strings slightly bigger body and headstock in proportion with bigger neck.

And its gonna Have Jed in MOP from 3rd fret and my sirname on 12fret.

i've noticed too that prices have gone up a lil, but prices are still excellent, Darius is an excellent guy and I've recommended the company to a lot of people.
Dean 79 MLf
Jackson RR3
Kramer explorer
Ibanez Destroyer
BCR beast speedloader
BCR Warlock
RAN 7 string January ish

Old 2006-06-26, 22:46
philkilla
Crusher of Skulls

A 7 string Dimeslime!! Oh god I have to see that when you get it....

My Trust is in WHISKEY and WEEDand SLAYER
Long live DIMEBAG
ROGspace Cunts. Book us

Quote:
Originally Posted by far_beyond_sane
You thought of mixing wheat flour with saturated fat, and putting it the resultant shit in a styrofoam cup. Shine on, you crazy dead yellow diamond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
May the best cunt win.

Old 2006-06-26, 22:50
Jed Anderson
New Blood

Darius said it should be ready in about 6 months, its the first and will hopefully be the only one:O) might get him to put '''#1 of 1'' on the back on the headstock, could get immortalised on their site too I hope.

....if I pay in full... will i get some kinda priority hehehehe

http://metaltabs.com/forum/attachme...ntid=8312&stc=1 <--- this with 7 strings corrr
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dime12.JPG (65.6 KB, 318 views)
Dean 79 MLf
Jackson RR3
Kramer explorer
Ibanez Destroyer
BCR beast speedloader
BCR Warlock
RAN 7 string January ish

Last edited by Jed Anderson : 2006-06-26 at 22:56.

Old 2006-07-03, 12:44
underdestruction
New Blood

I'm also interested in a RAN guitar... but I was just wondering, how does the quality compare to an ESP Standard ?

And how much would a RAN cost me (neck thru, string thru, skull inlay, 2x active EMG)

Also, on the custom page... I was wondering about the nut width and fret size, what is common on what kind of guitars ? There's Gotoh standard, but also Dunlop from 6000 to 6230

Old 2006-07-03, 17:02
Art-Of-Shredding
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdestruction
I'm also interested in a RAN guitar... but I was just wondering, how does the quality compare to an ESP Standard ?

And how much would a RAN cost me (neck thru, string thru, skull inlay, 2x active EMG)

Also, on the custom page... I was wondering about the nut width and fret size, what is common on what kind of guitars ? There's Gotoh standard, but also Dunlop from 6000 to 6230

pisses on ESP standard mate.

Old 2006-07-03, 21:20
underdestruction
New Blood

Just got a mail, 1660 euro... maybe it'll turn out cheaper if I take some options away. (without a case that is). I'm not sure about the fret size, normally it's medium, jumbo or extra jumbo... but the Dunlops are in numbers

Old 2006-07-03, 21:49
Jed Anderson
New Blood

Work starts on my Dime7slime end of the week - Dariusz recieved my payment today, gonna pay in full early so all i gotta do is wait...

I'm gonna cream!
Dean 79 MLf
Jackson RR3
Kramer explorer
Ibanez Destroyer
BCR beast speedloader
BCR Warlock
RAN 7 string January ish

Old 2006-07-03, 22:13
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Quote:
Just got a mail, 1660 euro... maybe it'll turn out cheaper if I take some options away. (without a case that is). I'm not sure about the fret size, normally it's medium, jumbo or extra jumbo... but the Dunlops are in numbers

You are going to have to visit the Dunlop website to get the spec on the fretwire sizes. I like dunlop 6100 fretwire or anything equal to that size. It is extra jumbo and gives a scalloped feel. If you like ESP guitars then 6100 fretwire might be right for you to but keep in mind the stuff is wide, thick, and beefy. I think that is what ESP uses on most of their guitars.

I suggest you keep the case option on your guitar. You will be glad you have it later.

Old 2006-07-03, 22:18
sqol
Post-whore

Should have my Ran tshirt next week

The Freedom of Chaos
The Secret of The Secret
The Truth of The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undone
moonraven?....more like ass raven

Old 2006-07-03, 22:19
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

... Bastard! I never got one.

Old 2006-07-03, 22:22
underdestruction
New Blood

I guess I'll take the 6100 then.. and I ment that the price was 1660 without a case.. I will order a case along with it. How much extra for a case ?

Old 2006-07-03, 22:27
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

70 Euro if I remember right. The case is custom made for your guitar too. They are kinda nice. It will protect you guitar for many years. Just remember to store the guitar inside the case when not in use so the neck doesn't get warped. A new built guitar needs lots of time in a case when not in use.

Old 2006-07-03, 22:50
Jed Anderson
New Blood

I want RAN boxer shorts!

heheheheh Ranpants
Dean 79 MLf
Jackson RR3
Kramer explorer
Ibanez Destroyer
BCR beast speedloader
BCR Warlock
RAN 7 string January ish

Old 2006-07-03, 22:55
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Or Ran boots...

Old 2006-07-03, 23:56
underdestruction
New Blood

I e-mailed him about not needing the graphics on the body and that I don't need sterling silver inlays, just the normal stuff. Hope that makes it cheaper. If the price is right I'll tell him I want the V model from his site and the Dunlop 6100 and a case and then I wait.

You think he works faster if I pay in full inmediately ?

Old 2006-07-04, 00:37
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Nope, you will have to wait in line like everyone else for their order. The build times used to be 3 months but they have been flooded with orders the last 2-3 years.

Custom body graphics and silver inlays?... It will be much cheaper in cost without those things. What specs are you looking for?

Here is mine. The first one to have a Kahler bridge. I'm so proud of it.

Old 2006-07-04, 22:16
Turbo Rico
Senior Metalhead

Next week, guys.... Next week...

Old 2006-07-05, 00:25
underdestruction
New Blood

I e-mailed him to loose the body graphic and he said the silver was cheaper than normal inlays or something (the silver thing is in the list at the Custom page).

With the RAN V model (the black one on the first page of the RAN site) instead of the SV and without the graphics it would be about 1500 including a case.

"Unfortunately" I just found an ESP on Ebay and bought it (1039 euro), but I still want a RAN Custom, so I'll keep saving and selling my other guitars till I can afford one

The specs I wanted were: The RAN V model, neck thru, string thru, EMG 81/85, mahogany body, ebony fretboard with skull inlays, Jackson style headstock

Last edited by underdestruction : 2006-07-05 at 00:27.

Old 2006-07-06, 05:21
Turbo Rico
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Rico
Next week, guys.... Next week...

Sorry... 3 more weeks.

Old 2006-07-10, 12:44
ztevie
New Blood

Hey guys.
I know this is a Ran-thread but since it's about custom guitars from Poland I thought I would post her and show you a custom I've ordered from Poland.
I've been researching a lot about polish guitar builders, and came up with about 10, of which some are very good...
Ran had a little too long building time so I decided to go with a less known builder but still with good reputation.
The guitar is finished, but I haven't gotten it yet, in a week I will have it I think...
They sent me some pics taken in a hast, what do you think?

Custom Guitar Pics

Old 2006-07-10, 15:02
blizzard_beast
Post-whore

That looks absolutely amazing! What's the name of the maker, and how much did it cost?

Old 2006-07-10, 15:24
ztevie
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard_beast
That looks absolutely amazing! What's the name of the maker, and how much did it cost?

REK Guitars. About 1500 Euro incl. shipment to Sweden and aluminum case, without pickups.. I ordered a pair of Bareknuckle Miracleman and sent them...

I chose them because they gave me really good answers and seemed very interested... They have been very professional throughout the biulding process. Can't wait to get it and plug it in...

Old 2006-07-10, 17:38
underdestruction
New Blood

Looks nice I hope it sounds and plays as kick ass as it looks

Old 2006-07-10, 17:52
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

That looks very very nice, kinda Schecter inspired I think? Very classy instrument, certainly gives Ran a run for the money!

Old 2006-07-11, 03:39
grimtr00kvlt
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztevie
Hey guys.
I know this is a Ran-thread but since it's about custom guitars from Poland I thought I would post her and show you a custom I've ordered from Poland.
I've been researching a lot about polish guitar builders, and came up with about 10, of which some are very good...
Ran had a little too long building time so I decided to go with a less known builder but still with good reputation.
The guitar is finished, but I haven't gotten it yet, in a week I will have it I think...
They sent me some pics taken in a hast, what do you think?

Custom Guitar Pics

That looks beautiful. I'm not liking the inlays though. But that's just me. Enjoy your guitar.

Old 2006-07-11, 04:27
Sythke21
Metalhead

Can i ask why, custom inlays are so expensive? i think it was the custom ESP, or maybe ran site, where it says +$1000 is average for custom inlays?

Old 2006-07-11, 07:01
ztevie
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmaster213
That looks very very nice, kinda Schecter inspired I think? Very classy instrument, certainly gives Ran a run for the money!

Well, actually the body shape is modeled after ESP Horizon Custom, but Schecter C1:s have basically the same shape I think..?

Old 2006-07-11, 07:12
philkilla
Crusher of Skulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sythke21
Can i ask why, custom inlays are so expensive? i think it was the custom ESP, or maybe ran site, where it says +$1000 is average for custom inlays?

Its very time consuming, intricate, and delicate work. I imagine if the order was for something elaborate, and an accident happened (because they do) that would be coming out of the luthiers pocket....

Not to mention the materials for custom inlays are usually extravagant....well....

Long live DIMEBAG
ROGspace Cunts. Book us

Quote:
You thought of mixing wheat flour with saturated fat, and putting it the resultant shit in a styrofoam cup. Shine on, you crazy dead yellow diamond.

Quote:
May the best cunt win.

Old 2006-07-11, 07:25
ztevie
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by philkilla
Its very time consuming, intricate, and delicate work. I imagine if the order was for something elaborate, and an accident happened (because they do) that would be coming out of the luthiers pocket....

Not to mention the materials for custom inlays are usually extravagant....well....

I don't know, $1000 sounds much, regardless of inlay...?
When I considered inlays, the guys building my guitar in the post above wanted $192 for an inlay like this:
CLICK

It would ahev been made in some exotic wood. To me this seems like a very elaborate inlay...?

Old 2006-07-11, 07:41
philkilla
Crusher of Skulls

1000 for inlay is pretty steep. I'm pretty sure the inlay on my ran wasn't that much. I would expect though if it was ivory or abalone. Something rare.

Long live DIMEBAG
ROGspace Cunts. Book us

Quote:

Quote:
May the best cunt win.

Old 2006-07-15, 16:57
ztevie
New Blood

Well my custom is now up on their homepage, there are some more detailed pics there if anyone's interested:

My guitar at REK...

Old 2006-07-16, 04:09
HERETIC23
New Blood

That double neck warrior looks fuckin sick. 2 months till my custom

Old 2006-07-21, 15:22
zandordandor

New Ran day

Here it is!

It's hands down, the best guitar I've played.
Smooth neck, superb glossy finish, great ebony fingerboard, low action, no fretbuzz at all.
And ofcourse the awesome tone thanks to the massive mahogny body and the EMG's

Old 2006-07-21, 20:32
underdestruction
New Blood

awesome

Old 2006-07-21, 21:52
Turbo Rico
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
awesome

They always are...

Old 2006-07-22, 01:33
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by zandordandor
Here it is!

Smooth neck, superb glossy finish, great ebony fingerboard, low action, no fretbuzz at all.

Gods I love Ran

Mine is still as beautiful and plays as well as the day I got it.

Old 2006-07-22, 09:22
Art-Of-Shredding
Senior Metalhead

Argh! 2 months to wait for my 2nd one......the wait is killing me.

Old 2006-07-22, 14:21
sqol
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art-Of-Shredding
Argh! 2 months to wait for my 2nd one......the wait is killing me.

Looks like Dariusz will be doing bulk shipment to the uk in September- you blizzard_beast and myself all have Rans due then

The Freedom of Chaos
The Secret of The Secret
The Truth of The Truth

Quote:

Old 2006-08-05, 18:00
the_bleeding
Post-whore

crazy question

Okay, so i've had this ibanez RG for a while, and the neck broke last november or something, so i've had this broken RG for a while. Would you think Ran would build me just a custom neck?
The thing is, i can't sell this guitar for much because its only a cheap 370dx, and its broken, and getting an ibanez replacement neck is a LIVING HELL, so i was thinking i could call up ran and ask them to build me a neck. Oh, and even if they could, do you think it would fit in an ibanez neck pocket? thanks in advance
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2006-08-05, 22:09
k13m
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
Okay, so i've had this ibanez RG for a while, and the neck broke last november or something, so i've had this broken RG for a while. Would you think Ran would build me just a custom neck?
The thing is, i can't sell this guitar for much because its only a cheap 370dx, and its broken, and getting an ibanez replacement neck is a LIVING HELL, so i was thinking i could call up ran and ask them to build me a neck. Oh, and even if they could, do you think it would fit in an ibanez neck pocket? thanks in advance
well, IF RAN would build you a custom neck, u might aswell send them the body, so they can make the neck fit the body perfectly.

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2006-08-06, 02:30
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

I'm betting they could build you a neck but you would have to be very specific about the dimensions of the neck pocket and it would cost a good amount even before shipping and Customs tax. I think you could get a cheaper used Ibanez neck on ebay.

Old 2006-08-06, 05:55
arvina
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zandordandor
Here it is!

thats a nice yard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
nah man, nah, I had an itchy ballsack!

forget wall of marshalls look at this wall of engls!
http://www.engl-amps.com/pics/newsp..._stevemorse.jpg

www.tdiclub.com

Old 2006-08-06, 21:59
the_bleeding
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulinsane
I'm betting they could build you a neck but you would have to be very specific about the dimensions of the neck pocket and it would cost a good amount even before shipping and Customs tax. I think you could get a cheaper used Ibanez neck on ebay.

i am aware of the pricing, but i have a few other things that concern me.

A used neck is a used neck, i dont like them, i dont like ebay. I've never gotten anything good off of ebay. Also, fret wear kills me because i'm really gentle with my necks, so i'm not used to dealing with dings and stuff.
I'm not too worried about price, because everybody raves about ran's workmanship, and ontop of it, i'll be getting a pimped out neck making my ibanez a Ran-banez, one of a kind in history hahahaha.
Oh, and lastly, i know its a sin to say it, but i dont like ibanez necks.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2006-08-06, 22:05
k13m
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
i am aware of the pricing, but i have a few other things that concern me.

A used neck is a used neck, i dont like them, i dont like ebay. I've never gotten anything good off of ebay. Also, fret wear kills me because i'm really gentle with my necks, so i'm not used to dealing with dings and stuff.
I'm not too worried about price, because everybody raves about ran's workmanship, and ontop of it, i'll be getting a pimped out neck making my ibanez a Ran-banez, one of a kind in history hahahaha.
Oh, and lastly, i know its a sin to say it, but i dont like ibanez necks.
seriously, just email big D. also offer to send the body aswell, im suer he can make it fit the neck pocet perfectly (if he has the body).

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2006-08-07, 12:27
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

That and you might be able to avoid Customs tax buy saying the guitar was shipped to Poland for service from you in the first place. No one needs to know a new neck is being shipped in with it. How could anyone tax you on something you shipped from your country in the first place?

Ran-banez That would be awsome.

Old 2006-08-07, 20:46
the_bleeding
Post-whore

Quote:
That and you might be able to avoid Customs tax buy saying the guitar was shipped to Poland for service from you in the first place. No one needs to know a new neck is being shipped in with it. How could anyone tax you on something you shipped from your country in the first place?

Ran-banez That would be awsome.

I'm still waiting for the email back from Dariusz, but if i can, i'll totally pull that. Canadian customs tax is FUCKING rediculous.

Old 2006-08-08, 03:03
OD3X1
New Blood

I have just finished reading all 158 pages of this thread. Lots of good info here. Here is my quote from Dariusz:

ok...now, the Scarab guitar in spec mentioned below will cost 1960 euros.

Best regards
Dariusz Kuczynski

> R or L handed : right handed
>
> Scale length : 24.75
> Scale length other :
>
> Body shape : other
> Body shape other : Hamer Scarab style
>
> Construction : neck thru body
> Construction other :
>
> Body material : swamp ash
> Body material other :
>
> Top wood options : no
> Top wood options other :
>
> Body binding :
>
> Binding material :
> Binding material other :
>
> Pickup configuration : H
> Pickup configuration other :
>
> Finish : natural
> Finish other :
>
> Custom finish : none
> Custom finish other :
>
> Headstock shape : other
> Headstock shape other : old BC Rich style 6 inline
>
> Neck material : maple 3P
> Neck material other :
>
> Headstock : regular
>
> Headstock cover : plastic (b/w/b)
> Headstock cover other :
>
> Headstock finish : dark brown, the same color as walnut
> Headstock finish other :
>
> Neck finish : match body finish
> Neck finish other :
>
> Fingerboard material : ebony
> Fingerboard material other :
>
> Number of frets : 24
> Number of frets other :
>
> Fret size : Dunlop 6105
>
> Fingerboard inlays (MOP) :
> Fingerboard inlays (MOP) other :
>
> Custom inlays : Abalone BC Rich Style clouds
> Custom inlays other :
>
> Inlay at 12th fret (MOP) :
> Inlay at 12th fret (MOP) other : Abalone BC Rich style cloud
>
> Fingerboard side inlays : plastic dots
> Fingerboard side inlays other :
>
> Fingerboard binding : none
> Fingerboard binding other :
>
> Headstock binding : none
> Headstock binding other :
>
> Nut : locking
> Nut other : Floyd Rose locking nut, do not use a Kahler nut
>
> Width : 1 11/16(43mm)
>
> Hardware color : chrome
>
> Bridge system : Kahler tremolo
> Bridge system other : 2300
>
> Tuning machines : Schaller M6
> Tuning machines other :
>
> Straplocks : Schaller
>
> Pickups : Seymour Duncan
> Neck :
> Middle :
> Bridge : SH-8 cream color coils
>
> Pickup rings : cream
>
> Control knobs : 1 x volume
> Control knobs other :
>
> Other controls : none
> Other controls other :
>
> Pickup selector :
> Pickup selector other :
>
> Flight case : yes
> - - -
> Additional instructions : Please put Walnut stringers in between the
> neck blank and wings.
I have a few more questions for Dariusz and then I think a deposit will be on its way to Poland.
\m/_(>.<)_\m/

Old 2006-08-08, 03:18
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Sounds like its going to be a nice guitar I got my Kahler setup with a Floyd nut too.

Old 2006-08-08, 03:27
OD3X1
New Blood

I like to think of it as a B.C. Hamer Ran...
Back in 91 or 92 I bought a Hamer USA Scarab with a Kahler and SH-8 in the bridge and neck and loved the guitar and then did something incredibly stupid. I sold it. Hamer flat out refused to build a Custom Shop Scarab for me and B.C. Rich will only build their own designs. Sooooo... fuck 'em both, I will get the best of both makers from an outside source.

Old 2006-08-08, 04:04
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Lol, I know how you feel I was looking for a Jackson KV-1 to customized with different frets and a 2300 Kalher trem after I sold my last one, but Jackson didn't make the KVs with Kahlers anymore.

Eventually I found Ran and they had no problem building the guitar I wanted. Plus I got other details made just how I wanted.

Its like a mixture of a Jackson KV-1 and B.C. Rich Jr V.

Old 2006-08-08, 04:28
OD3X1
New Blood

I found Ran over at Dinosaurrockguitar.com, got curious and started google searching and found this place.

Your guitar is badass, and if I was a V person I would want something similar. I like pointy guitars but I also have a weakness for SGs. Someday I will have a replica of Buck Dharmas white SG. Although, no way in hell am I buying a Gibson.

Old 2006-08-08, 04:40
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Thanks, it was the first Ran ever made with a Kahler. Dariusz had never seen one before when I mailed it to him to install. He did a great job.

Old 2006-08-08, 09:30
sqol
Post-whore

For those of you that paid the money in two halves, when did you pay the second installment, after you got the pictures?

The Freedom of Chaos
The Secret of The Secret
The Truth of The Truth

Quote:

Old 2006-08-08, 11:31
Ozzuk
Senior Metalhead

I'm sure I paid aroudn the time of recieving the pics or when they told me it was done, I may ahve gone to send the second payment after he told me it was done can't remember exactly.....

"add" I am really excited about getting the pics and then recieving the "Punisher"!!!!!

Ozz

Last edited by Ozzuk : 2006-08-08 at 11:38.

Old 2006-08-08, 15:19
blizzard_beast
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqol
For those of you that paid the money in two halves, when did you pay the second installment, after you got the pictures?

Yep.

Old 2006-08-08, 17:12
Art-Of-Shredding
Senior Metalhead

6 weeks

Old 2006-08-08, 21:44
HalfmastTrousers
Supreme Metalhead

agh, the action's all high up on my ran...for some reason the high E seems to be higher than the rest? o_O

i'll try screwing with the TOM on a later date...it's not high enough to bother me much.

with my own time role your own innocence by
grab on to my sleeve the one that grabs at your ankle
debate to understand that we all have a flaw
then fail to represent your life as you know it
god grant you one wish to turn back the time... correct and create

me and my star
matthew good night
you know by law when you'll be forgiven
maria my star
matthew goodnight
you know my lord when you'll be forgiven

Old 2006-08-08, 21:52
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Check your neck relief first. It might be time for a truss rod adjustment. Newly constructed guitars with thin necks like Ran sometimes need a little truss adjustment once the wood settles. Mine needed one the first year but I haven't had any problems after that. Keep and eye out for warping the first year on newly constructed guitars too and always keep it in the case when not playing.

Old 2006-08-09, 18:30
HalfmastTrousers
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Check your neck relief first. It might be time for a truss rod adjustment. Newly constructed guitars with thin necks like Ran sometimes need a little truss adjustment once the wood settles. Mine needed one the first year but I haven't had any problems after that. Keep and eye out for warping the first year on newly constructed guitars too and always keep it in the case when not playing.

dont ran necks work a little differently than normal truss rod adjustments?

i was thinking it might be that, too.

me and my star
matthew good night
maria my star
matthew goodnight

Old 2006-08-09, 20:40
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfmastTrousers
dont ran necks work a little differently than normal truss rod adjustments?

Like "how" different?

Now that you mention it, I think when I adjusted mine there was something different but I didn't realize it at the time. I don't know why I'm thinking that. It might just my imagination. I remember my first turn made the problem worse but turning the other way made things better. I just wrote it off as my mistaken judgment of which was the right way to turn the nut at first, ( I don't adjust truss rods everyday you know) but maybe I was right after all. I just kept making 1/8 turn adjustments in the "better" direction until everything was in spec again and didn't give it a second thought until now. Maybe the truss rod on Rans are reverse threaded?

Either way, it is always good to check everything after every 1/8 turn to be sure. If I hadn't I would have maybe damaged something.

Old 2006-08-09, 23:35
OD3X1
New Blood

Dariusz uses double action truss rods is what Halfmast is getting at I believe.

Old 2006-08-09, 23:47
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

I hope so Just about all guitars made today use those. Vintage Fender Stats have single action truss rods but not any modern guitar.

I'm thinking they might have reverse threaded truss rods becuase I remember thinking I was loosing my touch when I made the first turn on my Ran and got the opposite result.

Old 2006-08-10, 00:07
OD3X1
New Blood

Now that is a very real possibility.

On another note I checked into those Merlin Hellfire pups, but had to ask Dariusz about them because I can't read Polish to save my ass. The sound clips they had up sounded sweet though. I may get those instead of my beloved Duncan SH-8 Invaders.

Old 2006-08-10, 03:08
HalfmastTrousers
Supreme Metalhead

well, i'll tell you what my problem was

i put my TOM on backwards o_O

i = moran

me and my star
matthew good night
maria my star
matthew goodnight

Old 2006-08-10, 21:03
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfmastTrousers
well, i'll tell you what my problem was

i put my TOM on backwards o_O

i = moran

Moron

Whats a TOM? Tune-O-Matic?

Old 2006-08-10, 21:22
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

ToM=Tune-O-Matic You can put them on backwards but you need to adjust/reverse the saddles to do that.

Old 2006-08-10, 22:34
Ozzuk
Senior Metalhead

I had to adjust my truss rod again, adjsuted it for when I changed to 10-52's, when it was in D, but i tuned to Eb now so adjusted it again I also adjusted the trem which is piss easy thanks to the trem stabaliser thats in there...

Can't wait for my second one to come though infact i should emailD adn enquire how long it will roughly be till completion..

Ozz

Old 2006-08-10, 22:52
Art-Of-Shredding
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzuk
I had to adjust my truss rod again, adjsuted it for when I changed to 10-52's, when it was in D, but i tuned to Eb now so adjusted it again I also adjusted the trem which is piss easy thanks to the trem stabaliser thats in there...

Can't wait for my second one to come though infact i should emailD adn enquire how long it will roughly be till completion..

Ozz

When did you order it?

Old 2006-08-10, 23:11
the_bleeding
Post-whore

Right Handed
scale length = 25.5"
Headstock shape = Invader
Headstock cover = Plastic (b/w/b)
Headstock Finish = black
Neck Finish = white
Fingerboard Material = Ebony
Number of Frets = 24
Fret size = Dunlop 6105
Fingerboard Inlays (MOP) = 5-point stars
Fingerboard Side Inlays = Plastic Dots
Nut = Locking
Width = 1 5/8" (42mm)
Tuning Machines = Schaller M6

ok, this neck with tuners will cost 240 euros..for shipping add 20 euros, please

sounds like a good deal to me, now i just have to get quotes of the local luthiers

Old 2006-08-11, 13:36
HalfmastTrousers
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmaster213
Moron

Whats a TOM? Tune-O-Matic?

i spelled moron wrong on purpose.

me and my star
matthew good night
maria my star
matthew goodnight

Old 2006-08-15, 11:09
Ozzuk
Senior Metalhead

Err We'll he originally said october so I ordered it around late Aprill/May......

It will be cool, I plan to order one for my gutiar teacher as soon as, and then a third one for myself...

I'm getting more and more excited.....

Ozz

Old 2006-08-16, 15:31
STYX
New Blood

Custom Thunder...

Hails all,

It seems that my custom RAN thunder guitar is ready for shipment...

I ordered it at the beginning of january.

I will post pics if Dariusz sends me some...

David 'Styx'.

Old 2006-08-16, 22:41
arvina
Post-whore

how do ou say his name? Dariusz
da-re-us-ts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
nah man, nah, I had an itchy ballsack!

forget wall of marshalls look at this wall of engls!
http://www.engl-amps.com/pics/newsp..._stevemorse.jpg

www.tdiclub.com

Old 2006-08-16, 22:49
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

I think the Z is silent. Either way, he knows how to make nice guitars

Old 2006-08-17, 06:57
STYX
New Blood

Some Pics...

Hails All,

Here are some small pics of my custom guitar ...

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0682_Small.jpg (54.1 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0798_Small.jpg (47.4 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0863_Small.jpg (35.8 KB, 182 views)

Old 2006-08-17, 09:29
Invader
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by STYX
Hails All,

Here are some small pics of my custom guitar ...

David

Wow, congrats man, that guitar looks evil!

I've been thinking... I ordered my guitar with a 3-piece mahogany neck. Would 5-piece neck be stiffer and more stable? From what I've gathered rading this thread, Ran necks are quite thin, and mahogany isn't the stiffest/hardest neck wood out there. I've even considered changing my specs to 5-piece mahogany/maple neck.

Old 2006-08-17, 10:20
STYX
New Blood

I don't think a 5 pieces one would be more stable...
Don't change your specs for this, a three pieces mahogany neck is
a very good choice.

David

Old 2006-08-17, 14:28
Ozzuk
Senior Metalhead

If you had 2 pieces of maple between thrre pieces of mahogany it would likely increase stabillity and strentgh however your best bet is to ask dariusz, normally though a 5 piece laminate neck e/g/ bc richs tend to be more stable than one piece of mahogany maple is generally fairly stable due to it being very very hard...

I should have some new pics of my RR up soon I recently ordered a digital Camera So I can take loads of gear pics..

I'm still getting too excited about my next ran though...

Ozz

Old 2006-08-18, 22:40
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

I was reading in the JAckson guitars catalog that they use quartersawn mahogany or quartersawn maple necks on their USA select series guitars which is suppose to add stability and strength to the neck.
So I was wondering would a 3-piece, 5-piece or quartersawn mahogany neck be the strongest and stablest neck to resist warping and high string tension (13s in standard tuning)?

Old 2006-08-19, 05:51
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

It doesn't matter if the wood is quartersawn. It can still warp easy. I believe that a laminated 3 or 5 piece neck would provide the best stablity and strength. I would go into reasons but...

Just think about it.

Old 2006-08-19, 23:21
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

I personally thought that a neck made of mutiple pieces of wood(3 or 5 piece) would be stronger, but their catalog claims that quartersawn is the way to go since it supposedly resists warping. But I guess its their catalog so they must glorify their mehtods. I just wanted to know for myself so when I am ready to order a custom i will already know instead of asking questions. So which type of neck would be better for a guitar with a set of 13s in E standard tuning with a Wizard II like neck and 25.5 inch scale and floyd rose? Is 3 pieces enough and is 5 over doing it? Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 2006-08-20, 00:41
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

I would say 3 pieces would be more than enough. No need for more on a guitar unless you like the way 5 piece necks look. You still have to be careful the first year and keep the guitar in the case when you are not playing it. Be ready to have the truss rod adjust maybe once or twice within that first year. After that you shouldn't have to adjust for a very long time unless you change to a majorly different gauge of strings.

Send the string set you plan to use on the guitar along with the tuning you will be using so Dariusz can properly setup your guitar. Otherwise it will be setup for standard gauge strings in E.

Old 2006-08-20, 02:24
HermanRi!
Post-whore

Quote:
You still have to be careful the first year and keep the guitar in the case when you are not playing it. Be ready to have the truss rod adjust maybe once or twice within that first year. After that you shouldn't have to adjust for a very long time unless you change to a majorly different gauge of strings.

jesus christ you say that alot! do you have a button on your keyboard that automatically inserts that into your reply whenever you press it?!

Old 2006-08-20, 03:10
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

I wish I did because I'm sick of saying it.

The fact can't be stressed enough. If I can save poeple from having to deal with a custom made warped neck guitar by posting the means to prevent it every chance I get, than I will continue to do so until it is common knowledge ( like knowing how to tune a guitar).

But there are people that still don't know how to tune a guitar properly even though they play everyday. I will continue to inform those that post on the Ran guitar thread with the warning to take special care of their new built guitars until everyone in the whole damn world knows about warping fucking necks.

Old 2006-08-20, 04:38
HalfmastTrousers
Supreme Metalhead

his name is pronounced "dar-ee-yoosh", roll the r a bit.

/is polish
//have a cousin named mariusz

me and my star
matthew good night
maria my star
matthew goodnight

Old 2006-08-20, 04:40
OD3X1
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by User01
jesus christ you say that alot! do you have a button on your keyboard that automatically inserts that into your reply whenever you press it?!

How long have you had that stick up your ass?

Old 2006-08-20, 17:44
sqol
Post-whore

Ran necks are 3pc as standard, so that will be fine, Dariusz wouldn't make necks that would be susceptable to warping. The neck on my Ran is maple/mahog/maple, so that should do the trick (when it arrives )

The Freedom of Chaos
The Secret of The Secret
The Truth of The Truth

Quote:

Old 2006-08-20, 19:54
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

Nice. So far this is waht i have indefinitely decided for my custom axe.
6 string
25.5 scale
1 5/8 nut
3 piece mahogany neck through
mahogany wings
5A quilted maple top(still not sure about this as of now)
ebony fretboard
2 tones 2 volumes
black hardware
original floyd rose and locking nut
dimarzio x2n in bridge
possibly a PAF pro in neck (still not 100% sure yet)
5 way blade selector

As you can see i still have lots more to decide, but for now I just need to keep saving $$$ and stop buying gear!

Old 2006-08-21, 20:00
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

I was checking out some custom guitars and saw that the body was mahogany with walnut stringers. What is a "stringer" and what is its purpose tonally speaking?
Also, have you guys ever seen a guitar or bass where the strings behind the nut have some sort of colored material to coat it, what is that called?

Old 2006-08-21, 22:21
OD3X1
New Blood

Go look at any B.C. Rich model that is labeled as a Supreme. There will be a walnut stringer on each side of the neck blank. It is primarily for cosmetic purposes I think. In any event the Scarab I am going to order will have stringers.
CLICKY

Old 2006-08-22, 02:45
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThornsOfHeaven200
I was checking out some custom guitars and saw that the body was mahogany with walnut stringers. What is a "stringer" and what is its purpose tonally speaking?
Also, have you guys ever seen a guitar or bass where the strings behind the nut have some sort of colored material to coat it, what is that called?

Yeah, stringers are basically like binding strips and like wise have no tonal purpose. It is just for looks.

The coating on the strings behind the nut is a cloth like substance. I have never seen it on guitar strings though. I have only seen it on basses and I have no ideal what it called or what it does, but I think it help prevents marring the machine heads. Not really a problem with guitar strings. A great place to ask would be in the bass forum here.

Old 2006-08-22, 03:42
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqol
Ran necks are 3pc as standard, so that will be fine, Dariusz wouldn't make necks that would be susceptable to warping. The neck on my Ran is maple/mahog/maple, so that should do the trick (when it arrives )

Well its a new guitar, and given the chance, that neck will warp. Just take good care of it and it wont.

Old 2006-08-22, 04:17
philkilla
Crusher of Skulls

word.

DeathCS, is your user title poking fun at a necro song?

Long live DIMEBAG
ROGspace Cunts. Book us

Quote:

Quote:
May the best cunt win.

Old 2006-08-22, 05:22
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathCS
Well its a new guitar, and given the chance, that neck will warp. Just take good care of it and it wont.

+ that shit

Old 2006-08-22, 05:36
Turbo Rico
Senior Metalhead

YES!
My third guitar from Ran.......

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d...RedCrackle4.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d...edCrackle10.jpg

I got 8 more pics but IŽll upload them later today.

Old 2006-08-22, 05:46
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Holy SHIT
Holy SHIT
Holy SHIT
Holy SHIT
That looks nice

How do you like the Kahler I had the first Ran with one and told Dariusz about them and how to install them, you know? Yes, I am proud to have the first Ran with a Kahler. You would too.

Old 2006-08-22, 05:46
philkilla
Crusher of Skulls

god damn mad sickness with a kahler. Ran owns sluts I tell yah

Long live DIMEBAG
ROGspace Cunts. Book us

Quote:

Quote:
May the best cunt win.

Old 2006-08-22, 06:01
blizzard_beast
Post-whore

Woah...that looks fucking amazing Turbo.

Old 2006-08-22, 09:09
Dyvim Tvar
Supreme Metalhead

That's one fine guitar! Crazy paint job!!
I must find a damn job soon so I can order one!!

Take her from behind, then pretend like you're gonna cum, retract and spit on her back.
Then when she turns around blow your load in her face