MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone

Old 2005-08-29, 21:22
madtrixcerenzia
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by oRg
Your thinking of Jennifer Batten who did Flight of the Bumble-Bee that was all 8-finger tapping. The Great Kat is known for her various covers of Vivaldi, Wagner, Paganini, Bach, and Beethoven. I don't ever recall her playing anything from Rimsky-Korsakov. Though she is very talented because she's a virtuoso on the violin and guitar.

No i am for sure, at one point, it was the great kat in the books for flight of the bumblebee. But as i said, that was a while ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient
theres a big difference between petrucci only being able to do a complicated scale run at 216 and a band like severed savior or cannibal corpse playing pretty simple riffs, real fast

And your wrong, the run he was doing was the simplest possible run you can muster up. It was just a chromatic 1234 on the 12th fret with distortion. He changed it up a little later in the run, but he stopped before he even got to that point.

Last edited by madtrixcerenzia : 2005-08-29 at 21:24.

Old 2005-08-29, 21:26
BestialWarrior
Senior Metalhead

I never calculated my speed on this, all I know is that I can play pretty darn fast and not stop for a long time..My friends say that my hand is blurry when I'm grinding...so..It's probably above 220 or better...who knows really.. I think by learning old school Slayer..Reign in blood..has helped me achieve some good speed..

Old 2005-08-29, 21:27
John Holland
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtrixcerenzia
And your wrong, the run he was doing was the simplest possible run you can muster up. It was just a chromatic 1234 on the 12th fret with distortion. He changed it up a little later in the run, but he stopped before he even got to that point.

What about all the other things we pointed out ...

Old 2005-08-29, 21:35
madtrixcerenzia
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holland
What about all the other things we pointed out ...

I wish i knew what you were talking about. The kid said that the petrucci run was complicated, and all i said was it wasnt, which was true.

But i seriously don't understand how you can say petrucci can play 32nd notes at 130 (16ths at 260 i would assume) on some song when it is proven on rock discipline that he couldn't even touch 216 with a freakin chromatic scale. That just proves that your math somewhere is wrong. You guys need to just go to your metronome and see what i am talking about. And if anything, try to get some teacher or serious guitar player to be there too, cause so many people may THINK they can pick or whatever over 200 16th notes when in reality they are missing notes or getting that 'click' from the string. Just go and get the chromatic scale, the old 1234 all the way up the same box. I would commend anyone who can get it anywhere over 215, which is incredibly fast. I will say, Farreri and Cooley can probably reach speeds of say that exercise up to 230. But thats as fast as i am going to believe or ever believe unless i see someone get a metronome and do it.

Old 2005-08-29, 21:44
YJM04
Post-whore

maybe petrucci should take the piss test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by User01
ibut i wouldnt get any help at a slipknot board, theyre struggling with palm muting!

Old 2005-08-30, 00:45
oRg
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by powersofterror
Are you an idiot? I think you are an idiot, but I'm wondering if you know it too.

I guess I should have put in the [sarcasm] in the beginning to clarify that's what the post was. It was a poor attempt none the less. I guess I should've made it a little more obvious like playing 16ths at 400 bpm. Even if I was serious why would you feel the need to insult me?

Anyways, I'll post a clip of my fastest playing as soon as I can find some time. It obviously won't be at the speed I mentioned in one of my earlier posts.

madtrixcerenzia:
Yeah, I think your right. I had to look at her cd's to see what you were talking about. On her "Digital Beethoven on Cyberspeed" cd she plays Rimsky-Korsakov's Flight of the Bumblebee. I haven't listened to it yet, but I imagine it's pretty fast.

Last edited by oRg : 2005-08-30 at 00:48.

Old 2005-08-30, 02:25
madtrixcerenzia
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by oRg
I guess I should have put in the [sarcasm] in the beginning to clarify that's what the post was. It was a poor attempt none the less. I guess I should've made it a little more obvious like playing 16ths at 400 bpm. Even if I was serious why would you feel the need to insult me?

Anyways, I'll post a clip of my fastest playing as soon as I can find some time. It obviously won't be at the speed I mentioned in one of my earlier posts.

madtrixcerenzia:
Yeah, I think your right. I had to look at her cd's to see what you were talking about. On her "Digital Beethoven on Cyberspeed" cd she plays Rimsky-Korsakov's Flight of the Bumblebee. I haven't listened to it yet, but I imagine it's pretty fast.

yeah and if you look in the booklet, i think they mention it made it to the record books. And there is a new development. I believe that the fastest guys out there, namely (and probably only) rusty cooley and farreri can hit speeds up to 240 bpm of 16ths, and thats only four per string with very small stretches. But only those guys, and thats them freaking ripping too.

I still, no matter how much you try, will ever believe some bands like slayer hit freakin 16ths at 260. Thats definately a load of bull. I am sorry, and i dont know how you are measuring it, but there is no way they can hit that high.

Old 2005-08-30, 02:41
OpethFan
Toast-whore

Quote:
Maybe around the a little past 210, but thats tremolo picking. I am sorry, but there isn't anyone out there that can alternate pick a run faster than 220, and if they can, its probably like, 222.

Can someone tell me the difference between trem picking and fast alt. picking?
Is tremelo just going nuts alternate picking and not hitting one note every pick?

Think my attitude stinks?? You should smell my fingers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB_ZE_METALLEU
yeah, one night he (BassBehemoth) came with some GHB and he put it in my drink, when i woke up....i lost my hymen....terrible

Old 2005-08-30, 05:27
John Holland
Banned

Quote:
I wish i knew what you were talking about. The kid said that the petrucci run was complicated, and all i said was it wasnt, which was true.

"Do not put words in my mouth! I never said that Cannibal Corpse and the like were faster than Rusty.

Yeah, I've seen Rock Discipline, I used to own it! I also had the official tab book for "Scenes From A Memory", the faster solos had 32nd notes at 130 bpm.

Look at Mysongbook's tab of Blowtorch, its damn accurate. I just gave you that because its a reference. Listen to the drums on that song, its really 268. Listen to some Origin, Decrepit Birth, or Cryptopsy. Its indisputable.

And you could'nt find the song "Dittohead" by Slayer? Slayer pushes over 230 ALL THE TIME. Kerry even talks about it in interviews.

Even the song "Labyrinth" in my link is 240. If you disagree you are stupid, for I programmed the drums and I know exactly what it is.

I just recorded a track that runs at 250 bpm, just to show. Trying to host it now, but if someone wants to just PM me for it I can send it to you.
"

Quote:
... as fast as i am going to believe or ever believe unless i see someone get a metronome and do it.

Ok, that's it. I'm sending you the file I recorded. What's your e-mail?

Last edited by John Holland : 2005-08-30 at 20:16.

Old 2005-08-31, 21:20
madtrixcerenzia
Senior Metalhead

Yeah, this guy ^ sent me a virus instead of the clip. If that was intended, thats pretty childish and you will never get your point across.

Old 2005-08-31, 21:45
YJM04
Post-whore

Quote:
Yeah, this guy ^ sent me a virus instead of the clip. If that was intended, thats pretty childish and you will never get your point across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by User01
ibut i wouldnt get any help at a slipknot board, theyre struggling with palm muting!

Old 2005-09-01, 00:11
madtrixcerenzia
Senior Metalhead

And for the record, his little virus didn't make it through. But i can't think of a better way for him to make me believe that he can't pick at 250 bpm then do what he did.

Old 2005-09-01, 03:07
John Holland
Banned

Quote:

What the hell? Explain to me how a goddamned .mp3 file was recognized as a "virus". Only .exe files can be viruses.

What happened, most likely, is that Hotmail security said you could'nt have the attachment because its over a megabyte or something. In that case, they would have said that it was a possible 'risk' ... there's no way in hell an mp3 can be a virus. They're about as finicky as airport security guards, not letting you have a nailclipper on the flight or something similiar.

But no matter, resolve the issue with me first before you run around claiming I tried to send you a virus.

Old 2005-09-01, 03:10
madtrixcerenzia
Senior Metalhead

I merely said, "if you did" and if it was intended that would have been stupid, and would make me believe you much much less. But it appears it wasnt, and this ^ probably is the case. So . . . yeah.

Old 2005-09-01, 03:13
John Holland
Banned

Alright, here's the clip.

http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/M...3_000030617.mp3

Right click, save target as.

The click track is clearly 250 bpm.

Last edited by John Holland : 2005-09-01 at 03:20.

Old 2005-09-01, 08:47
fatdanny
Post-whore

nice john.

I'm shit, I can probably to the chromatic exercise at 16ths 140 or something.
My tremolo rapidly gets sloppy past about 170

Old 2005-09-02, 22:12
madtrixcerenzia
Senior Metalhead

uhh, its not working man, it says a connection to the server couldn't be established. Can you just put it on ur myspace or purevolume or something?

Old 2005-09-02, 22:27
k13m
Post-whore

i can play along cd with necrophagist on extreme unction, and play along diminished to be solo (sumtimes).

but then again, that doesnt say shiit

Old 2005-09-03, 03:04
John Holland
Banned

Quote:
uhh, its not working man, it says a connection to the server couldn't be established. Can you just put it on ur myspace or purevolume or something?

The whole point is to prove I can trem pick at 250 bpm. I don't feel like putting it on the myspace, as I've already broken my balls trying to get it to you. If you doubt me then fatdanny will vouch for me.

Old 2005-09-03, 03:06
Transient
HES BAAACK

fox should film someone scrolling through this thread and make a show out of it.

"When Egos and Poor Grammar ATTACK!"

Old 2005-09-03, 03:25
John Holland
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient
fox should film someone scrolling through this thread and make a show out of it.

"When Egos and Poor Grammar ATTACK!"

Bitch, I'll send you an mp3 virus

Old 2005-09-03, 03:29
Cloaca
C-Un(i)t
Forum Leader

Just so you know John, track 6 of that TiP album I sent you has spyware on it.

Old 2005-09-03, 07:52
John Holland
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaca
Just so you know John, track 6 of that TiP album I sent you has spyware on it.

IT WAS YOU ALL ALONG 1!!!1!!!1!ONEONEONEELeVEN[

Old 2005-09-04, 03:16
madtrixcerenzia
Senior Metalhead

Hey, i listened to that thing, it finally worked, but i seriously dont think that you are playing ay runs, in 16ths at 250. That was the whole point it had to be a run and alternate picked. I never said, at least im pretty sure, i didnt say somebody cant tremolo pick at those speeds or legato at those speeds. I didn't hear you do any runs that were at 250, and i am still sceptical its 250. I have reached legato 16ths at 250 just fine, and all those super fast guys that i listen to, and ur recording, i can play just as fast as the recording, but when i get a metronome down, i can never hardly get it over 220.

Well actually, i have something to say which was pretty funny. With all this speed stuff, i tryed doing all the speeds you guys said, and i actually got that chromatic run going at about 230. But i still dont believe guys hit speeds like 260 - 300 like its nothing and everyday. I even asked my teacher, and he didn't believe it, and trust me, hes heard everybody play.

Old 2005-09-04, 08:09
John Holland
Banned

At 7 seconds into the file there are some 1234 chromatics, and at 21 seconds there's some ascending stretch runs.

Old 2005-09-04, 11:49
Cloaca
C-Un(i)t
Forum Leader

Yeah christ, John has proved it.... I could hear that shit going on. Guitar teachers are often full of shit, even the ones that play incredibly well.

Old 2005-09-04, 22:56
madtrixcerenzia
Senior Metalhead

Guys, he didnt prove that he could play at 250 to me. He proved he can play fast, i applaud you for that, cause many people on this forum are full of shit. And i am not trying to sound like one of those gay kids on here, but i can definately play as fast as he was playing, but i can't get that high on the metronome still. There is no real way that he is going to prove it to me unless i meet him in person, or if he like makes a video, and shows the metronome, puts it down, then plays along with it. But i know he wont do that, cause that would be stupid and a waste of time, and i know i wouldnt.

Second, maybe alot of teachers are full of shit, (i have seen many myself), but mine on the other hand, isnt. He went to Berklee, opened for steve vai, is good friends with mike keneally, and MIGHT be starting a frank zappa tribute type thing with papa roach's drummer who was his roommate at berklee. He was the shit in pittsburgh, and hes noted for being one of the only players who always never plays stuff thats practiced like everyone else does, almost everything he does comes from (trying not to sound like a flake) heart. He probably has better views of music than anybody on the planet and im glad i have him as a teacher cause now all the ways he looks at music he is transfering to me. I seriously dont think theres a better teacher in the world.

You would all know his name if he chose to go west to California, but he got married, and wanted to start a family instead.

Last edited by madtrixcerenzia : 2005-09-05 at 00:29.

Old 2005-09-05, 00:46
fatdanny
Post-whore

Quote:
Guys, he didnt prove that he could play at 250 to me.

why do you need more than a recording of him playing in time with a metronome at 250bpm? I'm convinced

Old 2005-09-05, 01:23
John Holland
Banned

Quote:
There is no real way that he is going to prove it to me unless i meet him in person, or if he like makes a video, and shows the metronome, puts it down, then plays along with it.

How hard is it for you to take a metronome, and compare it with the recording? If your ear is as sensitive to tempo variation as indicated by the things you say, then you should have no problem. Just take a metronome and
set it to 250, and you'll see its the same.