MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Metal > Bands

Old 2008-06-06, 07:04
Death By Monkeys
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadnight_warrior
oh and i fucking love the BLACK DAHLIA MURDER thier new album has some cool technical riffs in it!! they're not melodic death metal, but their not deatcore/metalcore either, they're like a fucking hybrid or some shit lol

Black Dahlia Murder is a melodic death metal band.

Last edited by Death By Monkeys : 2008-06-06 at 07:06. Reason: fixed to quote

Old 2008-06-06, 07:46
deadnight_warrior
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death By Monkeys
Black Dahlia Murder is a melodic death metal band.

yeah but listen to some of their older stuff, its like metalcore without breakdowns

Old 2008-06-06, 08:02
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

See my earlier posts re BDM.

This is seriously becoming tiresome.

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn

Old 2008-06-06, 19:22
CompelledToLacerate
FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

What does everyone think of Elysia?

Keep checking for new crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
It's really sad, all those people who don't understand why we shouldn't act like our enemies. The real victory is not only killing and imprisoning the terrorists, but also letting civilized manners override the lust for revenge, once the battle is over.

Old 2008-06-06, 19:38
TruthDevoid
Drugged Unholy

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewer_from_nihil
the song serial cocksucker changed my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
Are you going to snort cheap pharmaceutical drugs with your lizard as well?

Old 2008-06-07, 07:02
Death By Monkeys
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompelledToLacerate
What does everyone think of Elysia?

They're pretty good, funny lyrics, good stuff to chant along to. Too bad their new stuff is shit and no fun.

I remember trying to see them once a few months ago at this small venue. They were sold out like an hour before and they turned like 50 people away, including my group. A sad sad day!

Old 2008-06-09, 04:49
estringrev
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthDevoid
ha, as soon as i read your post, that song actually just came on my itunes. weird. Yeah, but that's just the hardcore influence coming out, and it's only one song. It's their only song like that. You can't judge a band just by one song. And honestly, I don't mind it. I mean it's not their best, but it's better than most hardcore. But then again, i don't mind hardcore that much.

I hate hardcore with a passion, so it was something that bothered me. I can also tell they have hardcore influence throughout most of the album, so it's not just one song.

It's to be expected though, they are "deathcore"

Old 2008-06-09, 05:18
Dissection
bugfucker strikes back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by estringrev
Winds of Plague try to stick to the deathcore theme way too much for their own good. They even have a track on their that is a fucked up hardcore anthem.

Its true. Winds of Plague are heavily influenced by bullshit tough-guy hardcore. Its annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadnight_warrior
haha i like some deathcore bands like all shall perish, winds of plague, veil of maya, born of osiris, belay my last, the faceless, carnifex, impending doom, the red chord, but yeah theres too many shitty ass bands in this genre who are in it just cause thats whats "in" right now!!

oh and i fucking love the BLACK DAHLIA MURDER thier new album has some cool technical riffs in it!! they're not melodic death metal, but their not deatcore/metalcore either, they're like a fucking hybrid or some shit lol

Did you really just call The Red Chord DEATHCORE?!

Awesome.

Old 2008-06-09, 06:39
TruthDevoid
Drugged Unholy

Quote:
Originally Posted by estringrev
I hate hardcore with a passion, so it was something that bothered me. I can also tell they have hardcore influence throughout most of the album, so it's not just one song.

It's to be expected though, they are "deathcore"

I didn't mean it was just one song that had hardcore influence, i meant it was just one song that was primarily just hardcore. I'd say on the rest of the album there's definitely more of a metal influence than hardcore.

And Dissection, the majority of hardcore tends to be "tough guy" hardcore. It's usually about 'brotherhood', being tough, being 'true', or something like that.

Quote:

Quote:

Old 2008-06-09, 15:09
Dissection
bugfucker strikes back.

Quote:
I didn't mean it was just one song that had hardcore influence, i meant it was just one song that was primarily just hardcore. I'd say on the rest of the album there's definitely more of a metal influence than hardcore.

And Dissection, the majority of hardcore tends to be "tough guy" hardcore. It's usually about 'brotherhood', being tough, being 'true', or something like that.

Naw dude, you are looking at the wrong stuff. I thought the same thing until a friend of mine showed me better stuff. One thing you've got right about the hardcore scene though; probably worse than the metal scene on elitism. All they do is talk shit and get in fights (not at shows). Its fucking retarded.

Deathcore pretty much takes the cake on 'stupid fights' though. I can't tell you how many local shows I've seen end up in pointless fights... Its childish shit. I don't go to many local shows anymore, unless a friends band is opening.

Awesome.

Old 2008-06-09, 16:46
TruthDevoid
Drugged Unholy

What are some hardcore bands you're into then? The hardcore scene back in my hometown is really huge, so i'm pretty familiar with a lot of it. There are some bands (blood for blood, ramallah) who actually have meaningful lyrics about life and politics and whatnot, but I can't think of a whole lot off hand.

Quote:

Quote:

Old 2008-06-10, 02:21
Dissection
bugfucker strikes back.

Quote:
What are some hardcore bands you're into then? The hardcore scene back in my hometown is really huge, so i'm pretty familiar with a lot of it. There are some bands (blood for blood, ramallah) who actually have meaningful lyrics about life and politics and whatnot, but I can't think of a whole lot off hand.

You're in philly right now? I'm there all the time. Blacklisted is big (from Philly). Paint It Black is more punk than hardcore, but both influences are there. I'm into shit like Floorpunch, In My Eyes, Trash Talk, Ceremony (even though they are heavily influenced by some random ass sub genre called 'Power Violence; Don't ask). With Honor, Have Heart, Champion, Shipwreck, American Nightmare, Minor Threat, Killing the Dream, etc.

Basically I'm more into stuff that stays true to what hardcore was in the 80s, and new stuff thats not all 'Tuff Guy' bullshit like Terror, Shattered Realm, etc.

Personally, I don't even like Metalcore. I think most of its watered down, cheesy, and taking the worst parts of both genre and raping it. There are exceptions (Shai Hulud, Poison the Well), but even then I'm not really into it.

"Deathcore" doesn't really do it for me either. Most of it just sounds like cheesy downtuned metalcore to me. I'll stick with Odious Mortem and Inveracity, thank you...

Since this is turning into a 'lets shit on a bad subgenre of metal' thread, how about everyone posting DECENT bands that are deathcore/death metal with breakdowns.

Awesome.

Old 2008-06-10, 03:59
TruthDevoid
Drugged Unholy

Actually i'm from northeast PA (Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area), it's about an hour and a half or so north of philly. Right now i'm living by Hershey but only for a short time, my roots are from the northeast region, and that's where the scene is really big. I'm not familiiar with any of the bands you've named really, except minor threat. The hardcore i'm familiar with is like Agnostic Front, All out war, Merauder, Ringworm.. ummmm let me think here... life of agony, blood for blood, 25 ta life, wisdom in chains, death before dishonor. I know they're not all local to that area, i'm just naming ones i'm familiar with.

Oh, and i agree with your statements about metalcore and deathcore. Like I said the only deathcore band i like is winds of plague, and that's because (at least in my opinion) they have such a unique sound and are very talented, but hey, I don't expect everyone to like them.. nor do i care really.

Quote:

Quote:

Old 2008-06-10, 04:12
Dissection
bugfucker strikes back.

Quote:
Actually i'm from northeast PA (Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area), it's about an hour and a half or so north of philly. Right now i'm living by Hershey but only for a short time, my roots are from the northeast region, and that's where the scene is really big. I'm not familiiar with any of the bands you've named really, except minor threat. The hardcore i'm familiar with is like Agnostic Front, All out war, Merauder, Ringworm.. ummmm let me think here... life of agony, blood for blood, 25 ta life, wisdom in chains, death before dishonor. I know they're not all local to that area, i'm just naming ones i'm familiar with.

Oh, and i agree with your statements about metalcore and deathcore. Like I said the only deathcore band i like is winds of plague, and that's because (at least in my opinion) they have such a unique sound and are very talented, but hey, I don't expect everyone to like them.. nor do i care really.

Friend of mine (really into death metal, mind you) love Winds of Plague because, and I quote... "they do a lot of Behemoth style shit."

Death Before Dishonor is the epitome of tough guy "take no shit" hardcore. Most of the bands I listed were real 'standard' answers, but still crucial stuff. I dunno. I don't really get along well with the hardcore scene... Bunch of shithead elitists.

Awesome.

Old 2008-06-10, 05:42
TruthDevoid
Drugged Unholy

They really are a bunch of shithead elitists, you're 100% right. I don't really listen to much hardcore myself besides Ramallah (which isn't your average hardcore) and Life of Agony's River Runs Red album. I don't mind the other stuff, but it's not shit that i'm seeking out. If someone's playing it, i'm okay with it, but i'm not going to put it on myself.

Quote:

Quote:

Old 2008-06-11, 14:26
Dissection
bugfucker strikes back.

Quote:
They really are a bunch of shithead elitists, you're 100% right. I don't really listen to much hardcore myself besides Ramallah (which isn't your average hardcore) and Life of Agony's River Runs Red album. I don't mind the other stuff, but it's not shit that i'm seeking out. If someone's playing it, i'm okay with it, but i'm not going to put it on myself.

Its funny; a genre made up of more elitists than death metal...

Awesome.

Old 2008-06-11, 14:44
brainsforbreakfast
El Diablo sin pantalones

So how do those whatever-core genres differ from each other?
My experiences with music that end with -core is pretty much that it's ripped of thrashy or melodeath type riffs with guys who should reconsider his vocal style.

Now, there might be some big difference I'm ignorant of, maybe even some good I-have-a-cooler-sounding-name-core bands, but someone enlighten me?

When I started with metal, I had no idea either how deathmetal and blackmetal differed either
Originally Posted by Requiem
Why would you sig that?
Why not? Why would you sig me saying that I hate you? I was serious there, too.

I'm in despair! The internet has left me in despair!

Old 2008-06-11, 15:33
Chris Rezendes
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissection
Its funny; a genre made up of more elitists than death metal...

How about black metal? At least DM scenesters usually have a sense of humor, even if they are whiny, overly combative bitches who don't know where to properly direct their testosterone. BM scenesters inexplicably find a way to combine makeup, D&D faggotry, and Tolkien obsession with taking themselves seriously. How the fuck can you do that?

Old 2008-06-12, 03:56
Dissection
bugfucker strikes back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rezendes
How about black metal? At least DM scenesters usually have a sense of humor, even if they are whiny, overly combative bitches who don't know where to properly direct their testosterone. BM scenesters inexplicably find a way to combine makeup, D&D faggotry, and Tolkien obsession with taking themselves seriously. How the fuck can you do that?

No, I completely agree with you. I can't stand elitists in general, and even entertaining the idea that one type is better than the other seems retarded... But I'd rather have someone try to put down on me for listening to other music, than someone tell me that I haven't been around long enough to listen to the music I do.

Which is retarded... I don't know. Your typical hardcore kid is a shithead, but there are some good people in the crowd. Good ideas, actions, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainsforbreakfast
My experiences with music that end with -core is pretty much that it's ripped of thrashy or melodeath type riffs with guys who should reconsider his vocal style.

Yup, thats metalcore/deathcore (depending on how heavy of a sound they are trying to rip off, I guess). Which is usually the mistake everyone makes. I used to think the same thing and write everything -core off as breakdowns, cheesy riffs, bad vocals, and shitty fans.

Now that I think about that, the generalization is still 1/3rd true. Hahaha.

Awesome.

Old 2008-06-12, 07:02
TruthDevoid
Drugged Unholy

It seems to me that metalcore is like melodic death metal type riffs and breakdowns with screaming and usually clean vocals thrown in the chorus sometimes. while deathcore is more like atonal, off rhythm type riffs with breakdowns with screaming minus the occasional clean vocals. so basically instead of 4/4 aeolian riffs with occasional singing, it's odd time dimished and minor 2nd riffs with just harsh vocals and both have the same breakdowns.

Quote:

Quote:

Old 2008-06-12, 13:16
Dissection
bugfucker strikes back.

Quote:
It seems to me that metalcore is like melodic death metal type riffs and breakdowns with screaming and usually clean vocals thrown in the chorus sometimes. while deathcore is more like atonal, off rhythm type riffs with breakdowns with screaming minus the occasional clean vocals. so basically instead of 4/4 aeolian riffs with occasional singing, it's odd time dimished and minor 2nd riffs with just harsh vocals and both have the same breakdowns.

Basically, yeah. Not much originality. Deathcore usually tunes down to drop A#, and plays discordant chugs.

Awesome.

Old 2008-06-20, 20:41
aFarewelltoKings
Senior Metalhead

This subgenre is getting pretty watered down but i do enjoy:

All Shall Perish
With Blood Comes Cleansing
Impending Doom
Oceano

Old 2008-06-20, 21:37
Death By Monkeys
Senior Metalhead

I once read a funny review on The Price of Existence by All Shall Perish that pointed out that out of the 40 minutes of music on the album, 20 minutes of it is breakdowns. Awesome...

Old 2008-06-20, 21:43
Requiem
Post-whore

As much as I enjoy ASP they really aren't exaggerating. Can't believe I'm just noticing this. hah

Old 2008-06-20, 22:50
Dissection
bugfucker strikes back.

Quote:
I once read a funny review on The Price of Existence by All Shall Perish that pointed out that out of the 40 minutes of music on the album, 20 minutes of it is breakdowns. Awesome...

Let me print that statement out for a friend... He gives me shit any time I say I don't like ASP...

Awesome.

Old 2008-06-20, 23:23
Death By Monkeys
Senior Metalhead

I actually found the review, remembered where it was. Its a good read

Link

Old 2008-06-21, 04:03
Dissection
bugfucker strikes back.

post it or it didn't happen.

Awesome.

Old 2008-06-21, 06:01
Requiem
Post-whore

Quote:
post it or it didn't happen.

He did post it; but here I'll help you out.

HERE

Old 2008-06-21, 12:45
Dissection
bugfucker strikes back.

hahahahahaha

THANK YOU.

Awesome.

Old 2008-06-21, 13:13
Death By Monkeys
Senior Metalhead

Damn this green website and its green links!

Old 2008-06-21, 17:07
aFarewelltoKings
Senior Metalhead

So i was at Best Buy last night looking through the CDs and i found JFAC's Doom Ep had been re_released and it was only 8 bucks.Pretty good cd IMO there are very few breakdowns in it so its not as cumbersome as most deathcore albums. *puts up flame shield*

Old 2008-06-21, 20:42
Dissection
bugfucker strikes back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aFarewelltoKings
So i was at Best Buy last night looking through the CDs and i found JFAC's Doom Ep had been re_released and it was only 8 bucks.Pretty good cd IMO there are very few breakdowns in it so its not as cumbersome as most deathcore albums. *puts up flame shield*

They really weren't bad for what they were. Granted, I don't like the 'scene' they get credit for helping create, even if they have since separated themselves from it...

'Genesis' is actually a really good album to reef up to... Something about the odd patterns and low tuning that makes it amazing.

Awesome.

Old 2008-06-21, 23:14
Death By Monkeys
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
'Genesis' is actually a really good album to reef up to... Something about the odd patterns and low tuning that makes it amazing.

Something about that album feels cookie-cutter to me. It's like ive heard death metal bands do the same thing for so long already. I do however like the Doom EP, Although it pretty much spawned the deathcore scene that is 90% terrible.

Although... never listened to Genesis baked before perhaps its time

Old 2008-06-21, 23:34
Dissection
bugfucker strikes back.

Quote:
Something about that album feels cookie-cutter to me. It's like ive heard death metal bands do the same thing for so long already. I do however like the Doom EP, Although it pretty much spawned the deathcore scene that is 90% terrible.

Although... never listened to Genesis baked before perhaps its time

My old steady rotation while stoned:

Genesis - JFAC
Bloodlust/Malice - Through the Eyes of the Dead
The Somatic Defilement - Whitechapel.

Aka,
Smoking pot makes you listen to shitty music.

Awesome.

Old 2008-06-22, 06:59
Death By Monkeys
Senior Metalhead

Haha I'm usually totally indecisive so I put my ipod on shuffle. The result is sometimes very pleasing