Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone

Old 2006-08-02, 05:28
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unanything
Rusty Cooley.

God. 'Nuff said.

Is a god, and still concludes that it would take many lifetimes to master the guitar. And the only ego he has is a realisation of his great speed.

Haha, thats funny. Rusty Cooley is the epitome of what happens when speed goes straight to your head.
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut

Old 2006-08-16, 19:01
Julhelm
New Blood

I happen to be very fond of Johnny Marr of The Smiths fame, and then of course there's Steve Howe, Zappa and the guys from Smashing Pumpkins, to name a few.

Old 2006-08-18, 11:54
Orion
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by deifiler
Bang on. Malmsteen himself can play one note that rivals a run of 16 notes by himself (and that's a realistic figure, as oppose to 'thousands').

Malmsteen's song 'Blue' is a clear example to destroy people who are stuck up their arse in the imaginary rut that 'shredders can't play'. Malmsteen etc deliver versatility - If you disgaree that he can't play, check out his covers for a start, from Abba to Hendrix, then check out his various platforms, songs such as "Amberdawn", and the ever popular "Black Star" he made aged seventeen. I'm not saying he's the best guitarist, just defending him from uncultured pretentious acclaimed 'jazz lovers'; the people who spend four years doing a music course and think they're better musicians because they can sight read. (maybe I shot myself in the foot there, but again, Malmsteen can do all of that and the chords too, same goes for Jarzombek)

Plus with malmsteens unique tone, he can hit one note that emotes more than an average band can say with an entire album.

Here's to the downfall of the 'Soulful Blues faggots' if they can accept reality

Damm Right, the steen still rocks, his music can be a bit cheesy but he's still a tremendeous player.

People who say "It's all about the feeeling not the technical ability" (mainly blues guitarists who feel threatened by metal virtuosos) have to remember that epxression is part of technical ability and metal is more expressive than blues, for example metal vibrato is way more expressive than blues vibrato. Yngwie has goddam scalloped fretboards for more intense vibrato, you dont get more expressive than that.
And fast playing can be expressive as well ie that dude from Vader who does the runs with the wah wah pedal.

Anyway non metal, probably John Mcglauhlin (prob spelt wrong ) and Al Di Meola

Anyway violin virtuosos should be included because metal guitar virtuosity is modelled on the violin so I'd say Heifitz Kreisler and Vengerov (got his recording of the Sibelius concerto, fucking \m/)

Quote:
Just because a guitarist doesn't shred doesn't mean he can't. I'm sure many jazz players could out-shred many worshipped metal players... Don't slit your own throat by only accepting metal, you'll sound just the same as some fake punk who only accepts punk as music...

hmmm yes some of them but if you don't practise fast and push yourself then you won't be able to preform fast, ie compare an experienced session violinist with a 18 year old virtuoso violinist...

Of course some Jazz guitarists can outshred some metal "virtuosos" (*cough* *cough* (Trivium) *cough* *cough*). But the great majority of virtuosos I know are metal (maybe that's just that Jazz shredders arent as widely renowned).

I find that Jazz guitarists who claim that metal virtuosos are rubbish often are ignorant about metal and just say this because they feel threatened.

Often Jazz & fusion drummers and Metal drummers get into debates like this and because Metal is a relatively new form of art music it is perceived by the less ereudite as having less oeuvre than Jazz fusion and yet I think that many metal (esp Death Metal) drummers are just as good if not better than Jazz Fusion Drummers.

Last edited by Orion : 2006-08-18 at 12:21.

Old 2006-08-18, 12:59
Sycophant
Supreme Metalhead

I like quite alot of non-metal guitarists.

Steve Hackett [early Genesis - 1st to do sweeping and tapping back in the early 70's]
Robert Fripp [King Crimson]
Jeff Beck
David Gilmour [Pink Floyd]
Andy Summers [The Police & solo work]
Shawn Lane [R.I.P ]
Brian May [Queen]
Steve Howe [Yes]
Jan Akkerman [Focus]
Alex Lifeson [Rush - fuck yeah]
Terje Rypdal
Adrian Belew
David Torn [avant-garde guitar player who will fuckin' trip you out]
Al Di Meola
Steve Vai [in his 86 - 91 period, he was God]
Andres Segovia

...and there's so many others.

If we're not counting neoclassical dudes as metal, Malmsteen goes on the very top of my list. Love his playing, love his tone.

I love alot of classical guitar players, I also listen to lots of bass players, Mick Karn beng my favorite.

And fuck ignorant attitudes towards music. Fucking humans, always gotta ruin everything.

My award for the most unemotive shredder of all time goes to Francisco Faeri. That dude can sweep like no other, but sorry, he's boring as fuck, a one trick pony.

Last edited by Sycophant : 2006-08-18 at 13:09.

Old 2006-08-18, 14:25
BlackRoseImmortal
Senior Metalhead

Erik Mongrain

Old 2006-08-18, 14:40
Unanything
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRoseImmortal
Erik Mongrain

Don't you notice the Mongrains tend to produce good guitarists?

www.garageband.com/tranxnart
www.myspace.com/tranxnart
www.youtube.com/user/Tranxhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while fucking you in the eye. Brutal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadude
I coated the end of a toothpick with Satan's blood and simply wiped it across the top of an omelet. PERFECT!

Old 2006-08-18, 14:42
Unanything
Post-whore

It's not that Malmsteen can't play, he can't write.

www.garageband.com/tranxnart
www.myspace.com/tranxnart
www.youtube.com/user/Tranxhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while fucking you in the eye. Brutal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadude
I coated the end of a toothpick with Satan's blood and simply wiped it across the top of an omelet. PERFECT!

Old 2006-12-10, 01:58
CuddlyScamp
Metalhead

Guy Picciotto & Ian Macaye
Andy Summers
The guys from "Drive like Jehu"
Thurston Moore
Chris from "Propagandhi"
Omar Rodriguez
I like guys that think outside the box, and still love the shred gear.
Variety's the spice of life, i believe you need to listen to a diverse range of genre's, so you can absord the best from all of them and create a style of your own.

Old 2006-12-11, 05:31
mctriple
Senior Metalhead

SRV is one of my favorites. I don't know if you'd call Symphony X or Malmsteen metal, really. SX is prog metal I supposed. Either way, Michael Romeo and JYM and my two top guitarists. Petrucci is also up there. Django Reinhardt is also crazy.. with 2 fingers.
Line6 PODxt

Old 2006-12-11, 23:17
Mega-Tallica
New Blood

I play some Jimi Hendrix and helps my playing a lot. Also some Steve Vai and Malmsteen.

"... I don't want you to play me a riff that's going to impress Joe Satriani; give me a riff that makes a kid want to go out and buy a guitar and learn to play ..." - Ozzy Osbourne

Old 2006-12-13, 16:15
k13m
Post-whore

django reinhart
eric johnson

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2006-12-13, 20:04
belphegor79
Supreme Metalhead

Alex Lifeson
Robert Fripp
Andres Segovia

I don't listen to a lot of non-metal (I probably should really), and Rush is pretty close to metal, compared to other bands that started in that era.
BTW, I highly consider Symphony X to be metal and I think they're awesome.

Old 2006-12-15, 16:57
guitariste
Senior Metalhead

Non-metal guitarists? I'd say Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton.