MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone

Old 2006-06-22, 06:16
FesteringCorpse
Metalhead

Non Metal Guitarists

Don't know if this thread should be posted, but anyway.

Is there any non metal guitarists that you like?
For some reason i love hearing David Gilmour (Pink Floyd) he doesn't shred but he can hit one note and it sounds better than Malmsteen playing 1000.
Also Stevie Ray Vaughn can rip it up big time.

Old 2006-06-22, 13:50
Slabbefusk
FUCKING HOFF-STYLE!!!!!!!

I love Scott Henderson. Amazing guitarist.

Old 2006-06-22, 13:51
IRON90
Supreme Metalhead

Stevie Ray Vaughn. Great guitarist.

Old 2006-06-22, 14:20
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

Jimi Hendrix
John Frusciante
Eric Johnson

BuildTheMusic.com is your #1 FREE online guitar resource center.

Old 2006-06-22, 14:23
arvina
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slabbefusk
I love Scott Henderson. Amazing guitarist.

FUCKIN RIGHT!
Ty tabor (kings X is only sometimes metal haha) theres more but i cant think of em. ill post more later

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
nah man, nah, I had an itchy ballsack!

forget wall of marshalls look at this wall of engls!
http://www.engl-amps.com/pics/newsp..._stevemorse.jpg

www.tdiclub.com

Old 2006-06-22, 16:27
The Doctor
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

vaughn, vai, hendrix, satch, just too many, really

Old 2006-06-22, 16:32
John Holland
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Banned

Shawn Lane. Stanley Jordan. Allan Holdsworth.

Old 2006-06-22, 16:37
blizzard_beast
Post-whore

Alan Holdsworth, Jimi Hendrix, Al Di Meola, Paco de Lucia and many others whose names I don't remember.

Old 2006-06-22, 16:50
deifiler
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FesteringCorpse
Don't know if this thread should be posted, but anyway.

For some reason i love hearing David Gilmour (Pink Floyd) he doesn't shred but he can hit one note and it sounds better than Malmsteen playing 1000.

That's really cliché, and utter bullshit. I've heard it a thousand times, each time from a moron that's probably not even heard more than three of Malmsteen's good pieces (not saying this includes you, just it's a phrase heard constantly)

I think the term for 'non metal guitarists' is "heathens" (said in jest)

I often think it's rather pretentious when people describe certain guitarists in an over-the-top manner - "amazing, incredible, fantastic" - that sort of cringe-worthy vocabulary that is often applied to guitarists such as Queen's or even the guy from the Beatles. Maybe they did write good music for their time, but as far as musicianship or talent on ye olde six-string goes, they wern't amazing and doubtfully couldn't touch the skill in players like Malmsteen, Jarzombek etc... Another good example would be to discuss guitarists such as Santana: sure they do the trick and have a semi-decent tone, but a lot of other guitarists can do it with more interest and style.

Sorry!

Old 2006-06-22, 18:14
Frozen Soul
Senior Metalhead
Banned

I agree. I hate hearing people say "well it has so much more feeling and soul!" I don't like anything aside from metal and shred, but I listen to jazz alot with friends just to absorb what's useful, which isn't alot. I am the only metal guitarist in a group of 5-6 friends and I always dominate them because they think that a really strong vibrato is more important than swept arpeggios.

Just shut the fuck up and realize Malmsteen etc. have more talent than alot of soulful blues faggots.

Old 2006-06-22, 18:36
deifiler
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Soul
I agree. I hate hearing people say "well it has so much more feeling and soul!" I don't like anything aside from metal and shred, but I listen to jazz alot with friends just to absorb what's useful, which isn't alot. I am the only metal guitarist in a group of 5-6 friends and I always dominate them because they think that a really strong vibrato is more important than swept arpeggios.

Just shut the fuck up and realize Malmsteen etc. have more talent than alot of soulful blues faggots.

Bang on. Malmsteen himself can play one note that rivals a run of 16 notes by himself (and that's a realistic figure, as oppose to 'thousands').

Malmsteen's song 'Blue' is a clear example to destroy people who are stuck up their arse in the imaginary rut that 'shredders can't play'. Malmsteen etc deliver versatility - If you disgaree that he can't play, check out his covers for a start, from Abba to Hendrix, then check out his various platforms, songs such as "Amberdawn", and the ever popular "Black Star" he made aged seventeen. I'm not saying he's the best guitarist, just defending him from uncultured pretentious acclaimed 'jazz lovers'; the people who spend four years doing a music course and think they're better musicians because they can sight read. (maybe I shot myself in the foot there, but again, Malmsteen can do all of that and the chords too, same goes for Jarzombek)

Plus with malmsteens unique tone, he can hit one note that emotes more than an average band can say with an entire album.

Here's to the downfall of the 'Soulful Blues faggots' if they can accept reality

Old 2006-06-22, 18:49
walpurgis
Drunken Yeti God
Alumni Staff

Once again the idiocy of the average metalhead is going to ruin a perfectly good thread.

As far as non-metal guitarists, there's Stevie Ray Vaughan, Steve Vai, Satriani, Eric Clapton, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler... fuck there are a ton that I listen to...

I never fucked a 10, but one night I fucked five 2's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
You really have no dignity. I would rather have sex with my fifty year old father.

Old 2006-06-22, 19:13
Robbie Filth
The Man Who Is, MGI.

There are lots of good non metal guitarists. Too many to mention, the best ones have really already been mentioned so i wont bother going on.

Old 2006-06-22, 21:40
Slabbefusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by deifiler
Bang on. Malmsteen himself can play one note that rivals a run of 16 notes by himself (and that's a realistic figure, as oppose to 'thousands').

Malmsteen's song 'Blue' is a clear example to destroy people who are stuck up their arse in the imaginary rut that 'shredders can't play'. Malmsteen etc deliver versatility - If you disgaree that he can't play, check out his covers for a start, from Abba to Hendrix, then check out his various platforms, songs such as "Amberdawn", and the ever popular "Black Star" he made aged seventeen. I'm not saying he's the best guitarist, just defending him from uncultured pretentious acclaimed 'jazz lovers'; the people who spend four years doing a music course and think they're better musicians because they can sight read. (maybe I shot myself in the foot there, but again, Malmsteen can do all of that and the chords too, same goes for Jarzombek)

Plus with malmsteens unique tone, he can hit one note that emotes more than an average band can say with an entire album.

Here's to the downfall of the 'Soulful Blues faggots' if they can accept reality

So what youre saying is if you can't alternate pick, sweep, shred, do extreme tapping and stuff at super high speeds you suck really bad and it doesn't matter if you have any emotion because you still suck without speed? FUCK YOU.

Old 2006-06-22, 21:52
daggerfall
Senior Metalhead

Quote:

Die you fucking shreddfaggot

One who has good feeling and soulfull playing is truly musicaly talented. It can't be denied

Last edited by daggerfall : 2006-06-23 at 00:10.

Old 2006-06-22, 22:11
Djeez
Senior Metalhead

I really wanna hear a spoulfull playing.How does it sound like?

Old 2006-06-22, 22:18
JOAMdude
Post-whore

Hendrix, Mays

i don't care if they're talented or not I LIKE WHAT THEY PLAY YOU PRETENTIOUS CREEP

Old 2006-06-22, 22:19
Adrian_15
Senior Metalhead

Carlos Santana is a great guitarist

and Jimi Hendrix ofcourse
Can patter out their hasty orisons.
No mockeries for them from prayers or bells,
Nor any voice of mourning save the choirs,-
The shrill, demented choirs of wailing shells;
And bugles calling for them from sad shires.

Old 2006-06-22, 23:06
Kai Latvala
Senior Metalhead

If you'd have done a search you would find that all threads that start with this question turn into a huge argument.
Our Stuff
Reavers Lament
Snowfall

Old 2006-06-22, 23:24
walpurgis
Drunken Yeti God
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Latvala
If you'd have done a search you would find that all threads turn into a huge argument.

Had to edit that a bit for ya man

I can't believe I forgot about Jimi, he definitely goes on that list.

I never fucked a 10, but one night I fucked five 2's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
You really have no dignity. I would rather have sex with my fifty year old father.

Old 2006-06-22, 23:29
Mortal_Lament
Senior Metalhead

Man..

Well fuck. the huge argument between "shred" and "soul."
In other words, two of the opposite. As far as talent goes shred, with sweeping arpegios, tap picking, and unbelivably fast scales, has much more talent then the 60s bullocks.
But! tony iomii from sabbath says "it doesnt matter of a technical guitarist thinks its good, its if it sounds good," so if in fact a soul-full guitarst plays something that you can nod your head too, that could completly own shred.
But! aside from metal guitarists, great guitarists would be:

Santana, John Williams (not the guy who wrote starwars and shit, the guy who did guitar concertos) Fernando Sor, Francesco Molino, Dionisio Aguado, and even people like Bach, or Vivaldi.

As far as talent goes, fucking Classical guitar takes the most.
Rocktron Xpression Rack mount
Rocktron Gainiac Rack Mount

Old 2006-06-22, 23:51
Paedophage
New Blood

Michael Hedges and Leo Kottke

Old 2006-06-24, 10:27
Slabbefusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal_Lament
Well fuck. the huge argument between "shred" and "soul."
In other words, two of the opposite. As far as talent goes shred, with sweeping arpegios, tap picking, and unbelivably fast scales, has much more talent then the 60s bullocks.
But! tony iomii from sabbath says "it doesnt matter of a technical guitarist thinks its good, its if it sounds good," so if in fact a soul-full guitarst plays something that you can nod your head too, that could completly own shred.
But! aside from metal guitarists, great guitarists would be:

Santana, John Williams (not the guy who wrote starwars and shit, the guy who did guitar concertos) Fernando Sor, Francesco Molino, Dionisio Aguado, and even people like Bach, or Vivaldi.

As far as talent goes, fucking Classical guitar takes the most.

Exactly, if it sounds good to you, it is good.

Old 2006-06-24, 11:48
HELLBLASTER-666
Post-whore

Douglas Pearce

Old 2006-06-24, 14:27
*insert name here*
Jono

Mel Gibson.

Old 2006-06-24, 14:57
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

ahahahahaahah^

rodrigo y gabrielle

Old 2006-06-24, 15:33
Frozen Soul
Senior Metalhead
Banned

I just has some noob who has been playing for 3 years tell me Serrana Apreggios is easy and pointless.

Old 2006-06-24, 20:37
Bia
Muffin Ass

Stanley Jordan...
easily sounds like 2 guitars at once.

California Guitar Trio
takes popular songs of all genres and duplicates them well.
one of the guitars picks the vocals...very cool.

Old 2006-06-24, 20:49
Slabbefusk

Quote:
I just has some noob who has been playing for 3 years tell me Serrana Apreggios is easy and pointless.

I can agree with you on this. He should be shot.

Old 2006-06-24, 23:13
trepidation
New Blood

ok
A-im not saying there arnt any
but why wood u make a thread for good guitarists that arnt metal on a sight called mother fucking METAL! tabs
B-the bitch who said serranna or w.e. arpeggios are easy...is jelous that we can do them and he cant
C-this is pretty hypocritical talking about a good nonmetal guitarist since i just said its dumb but justin king is a crazy bitch

Old 2006-06-25, 02:45
arvina
Post-whore

steve lukather!!
i dont wanna argue about who is better, but i can understand not shredding all the time. i refer to it as a tasteful solo. not that shredding isnt tasteful. i love it too, but when an artist really takes the time to pick everynote to make the most emotional impact (ala lukather imo) its...nice. just for different moods. angst and crazy party call for metal and shred whereas chillin and realxin, dare i say chillaxin, is for smooth: journey, or toto, or Bob Marley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def

www.tdiclub.com

Old 2006-06-25, 08:33
Slabbefusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by trepidation
ok
A-im not saying there arnt any
but why wood u make a thread for good guitarists that arnt metal on a sight called mother fucking METAL! tabs
B-the bitch who said serranna or w.e. arpeggios are easy...is jelous that we can do them and he cant
C-this is pretty hypocritical talking about a good nonmetal guitarist since i just said its dumb but justin king is a crazy bitch

Isn't this a website?

Old 2006-06-25, 09:29
BlackRoseImmortal
Senior Metalhead

Jimmy > Jimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paedophage
Michael Hedges

Hell yes. One of the best

Old 2006-06-25, 23:34
HELLBLASTER-666
Post-whore

and then the youthman says : I can play 2145 notes per second
it's so fucking cool!.And hten the warrior said : I can play one note
for16 hours but it's gonna have so much soul,that's way cooler".
Bollocks.When will you learn : fuckin guitar=motherfuckety racket!
Pickup your drums and fight!
but it never ends,writing fast

Old 2006-06-27, 23:40
trepidation
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slabbefusk
Isn't this a website?

fuck buddy
that coodnt of been more offtopic
a fucking spelling error
go die

Old 2006-06-28, 02:38
PST 88
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

Gilmour was actually a fairly accomplished guitarist and definitely figured out a few more interesting ways to exploit a guitar's range than to constantly resort to sweep picking. I've listened to as much Malmsteen as Floyd in terms of quantity, but in terms of frequency I consistently go back to the latter and discard the former. There's a good reason for that: Malmsteen isn't terribly interesting, and the only thing that made him interesting (that he could shred better than most guitarists who weren't involved in fusion) has long since disappeared, as he's surpassed by a whole new generation of much more technically proficient guitarists, some of whom even have interesting ideas. But I'll take Gilmour over most of them, too. And it's not just 'he can play one note with soul;' it has more to do with phrasing.

People who haven't been mentioned:
Robert Fripp
Adrian Belew
Buddy Guy
John Mclaughlin
Alex Lifeson
Trey Spruance
Pat Metheny
Albert King
Mark Ribot
Frank Zappa
Duane Allman
Warren Haynes
Hubert Sumlin
Ritchie Blackmore

I think that's enough for now.

Old 2006-06-28, 04:44
*insert name here*
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by *insert name here*
Mel Gibson.

+1.

Old 2006-06-29, 02:56
FesteringCorpse
Metalhead

I'm not saying shred sucks and starting a soul versus shred competition going.
I'm wasn't just after opinions on other guiartists in the non metal category that i could discover and bring into my own playing. I love Metal- Carcass, Death, Slayer,Arch Enemy, Dimmu Borgir, Cannibal Corpse, Deicide etc. But theres something about Gilmour's playing that really is special like the solos in comfortably numb are just epic, perfect bends real meaningful notes. Malmsteen tends to run up and down his a minor scale i find which can get boring when you do it in every song (in my opinion).

Old 2006-06-30, 18:03
wizard of the chords
Metalhead

I cannot believe nobody mentioned "SLASH"??? From Guns 'n roses?

Old 2006-07-03, 05:44
arvina
Post-whore

they're metal to me.

anyone every wonder why, like, theres these guitarist who were way awsome when they were younger (malmsteen) but 30 years later (30 years of practice mind you) they still play the same shit. you'd think after starting off so well and being freakin awsome and then 30 whole fucking years of playing and practicing and learning they'd be pushing the limits of freakin human guitar capabilities? why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def

www.tdiclub.com

Old 2006-07-03, 20:09
briyo2289
Senior Metalhead

Ottmar Liebert
Paco de Lucia
Alex Lifeson
David Gilmour
ted nugent
Johnny Cash( I like the bands music more than his guitar playing)
Frank Zappa
Alex Skolnick(used to be metal now fusion)
Chris Poland(used to be metal now fusion)

thats a good start

"I don't think I should be playing with these medium strings. I need light guage if I'm gonna thrash." - Master Shake

Death, Megadeth, Testament, Ozzy, Exodus, Dream Theater, Iron Maiden, Annihilator, Pantera, GWAR, Symphony X, Iced Earth, Anthrax, Bodom, Cannibal Corpse, Kreator, Hammerfall, Nevermore.

RIP DimeBag
RIP Syd Barrett

Old 2006-07-03, 20:42
PST 88
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

Yngwie hasn't improved because his focus is limited and there's only so far a given person can increase in a given direction. If you're myopic in approach, you only improve within the limits of that approach.

Old 2006-07-04, 05:28
arvina
Post-whore

oh and i cant believe i forgot to add steve morse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def

www.tdiclub.com

Old 2006-07-04, 18:26
The Angry Hobbit
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PST 88
Gilmour was actually a fairly accomplished guitarist and definitely figured out a few more interesting ways to exploit a guitar's range than to constantly resort to sweep picking. I've listened to as much Malmsteen as Floyd in terms of quantity, but in terms of frequency I consistently go back to the latter and discard the former. There's a good reason for that: Malmsteen isn't terribly interesting, and the only thing that made him interesting (that he could shred better than most guitarists who weren't involved in fusion) has long since disappeared, as he's surpassed by a whole new generation of much more technically proficient guitarists, some of whom even have interesting ideas. But I'll take Gilmour over most of them, too. And it's not just 'he can play one note with soul;' it has more to do with phrasing.

People who haven't been mentioned:
Robert Fripp
Adrian Belew
Buddy Guy
John Mclaughlin
Alex Lifeson
Trey Spruance
Pat Metheny
Albert King
Mark Ribot
Frank Zappa
Duane Allman
Warren Haynes
Hubert Sumlin
Ritchie Blackmore

I think that's enough for now.

this is the only intelligent thing ive read in this whole thread. malmsteen is amazing, we all know this... but he bores the fuck outta me when he makes an album that uses the same harmonic minor patterns over and over... just like the last 5 albums.

Malmsteen is highly accomplished... and highly BORING!!!

alex lifeson and frank zappa

Old 2006-07-05, 00:34
OpethFan
Toast-whore

Dave Gilmour, Jimi Hendrix, SRV, Eric Clapton, Slash, Jimmy Page, Brad from sublime, Vai.

All pretty interesting.

Think my attitude stinks?? You should smell my fingers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB_ZE_METALLEU
yeah, one night he (BassBehemoth) came with some GHB and he put it in my drink, when i woke up....i lost my hymen....terrible

Old 2006-07-05, 00:49
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Eric fuckin' Johnson

"Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2006-07-05, 00:57
OpethFan
Toast-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS
Eric fuckin' Johnson

Oh yeah, man he owns in the G3 concert

Quote:
yeah, one night he (BassBehemoth) came with some GHB and he put it in my drink, when i woke up....i lost my hymen....terrible

Old 2006-07-05, 01:22
*insert name here*
Jono

Buckethead!
Frank Zappa.

Last edited by *insert name here* : 2006-07-05 at 01:27.

Old 2006-07-05, 22:19
MorbidGuitar
Post-whore

stevie ray vaughan is amazing got a couple of his dvd's/vhs's and cds

Old 2006-07-06, 01:00
Doktorskell
Senior Metalhead

David Gilmour is easily my fav non metal guitarist, I could listen to pink floyd forever

Old 2006-07-10, 15:08
aFarewelltoKings
Senior Metalhead

Rory Gallagher
Robin Trower
Buck Dharma
Tommy Bolin
Pat Travers
Micheal Shenker(his UFO years only)
Steve Howe

Old 2006-07-10, 16:26
arvina
Post-whore

Mikael Åkerfeldt on the solos not in the metal songs. really! freakin A. soulful little swedish guy. like the one on hours of wealth, or that one at the beggining of windowpayne, OR Harvest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def

www.tdiclub.com

Old 2006-07-11, 04:55
Hetoimasia
Metalhead

Willie Nelson. Seriously.

And about this whole shred vs. soul shit. What's more important? Being impressive or being memorable?

Old 2006-07-11, 14:30
Casketcrusher
Post-whore

Steve Vai (Probably my favourtie)
Joe Santriani
Michael Romeo
Michael Angelo Batio
John Scofield
George Benson
Wes Montgomery
Blind Blake
Robert Johnson
Stevie Ray Vaughan
B.B. King
Jeff Beck
probably a few more.

Truer words were never spoken.

Old 2006-07-11, 18:58
fatdanny
Post-whore

John McLaughlin for sure. Very impressive.

Old 2006-07-11, 22:55
HELLBLASTER-666
Post-whore

Can I say Kurt Cobain?

Old 2006-07-12, 03:28
arvina
Post-whore

nope sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def

www.tdiclub.com

Old 2006-07-12, 12:08
HELLBLASTER-666
Post-whore

Old 2006-07-12, 14:53
grindi
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casketcrusher
Steve Vai (Probably my favourtie)

probably one of the best...

eric clapton
johnny cash
eddie (edward ) van halen

Old 2006-07-12, 18:00
fatdanny
Post-whore

I agree, Vai is technically amazing, but I don't really like his tunes much.

What about Tom Morello? OK not great but he did some interesting stuff.

Old 2006-07-12, 18:43
grindi
New Blood

tom morello without his wah wah effects, would be a average guitarist... audioslave is a great band but rage against the machine sucks...

Old 2006-07-13, 07:41
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindi
tom morello without his wah wah effects, would be a average guitarist...

You are wrong on so many levels I'm not even going to spend the 10 minutes that this needs in order to rebuke your comment.

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn

Old 2006-07-13, 10:34
grindi
New Blood

rebuke me...

Old 2006-07-13, 10:57
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

His innovation alone makes him a great guitarist - he sees his guitar as a completely different instrument to the vast majority of other guitarists. Can you make the sounds that he does and with the control that he exhibits? No. I don't no anybody who can even imitate his style, never mind trump it. He isn't just some grunge kid hitting his guitar randomly with a coke can, he placed thought into what he was doing.

Even when Morello adopts a more standard approach to playing he can still blow most guitarists out of the water. Listen to a couple of his solos off RATM's self-titled opus: his playing is fast, crisp, fluid, technically competent and, more importantly, interesting.

Morello is a truly unique guitarist and probably the greatest to emerge from the early-to-mid 90s "grunge" scene. If you can't see that then your appreciation of what constitutes a good guitarist is seriously in need of a re-think. Regardless of how you perceive his bands, there's no doubting that Morello's playing transcends subjectivity.

Old 2006-07-13, 15:25
grindi
New Blood

damn... i know all the ratm stuff, but i dont like it... i love it, when he does his minimalist playing with audioslave... sorry mr. wise guy, but i don´t like it... for me almost everything sounded the same...

fuck, i cant describe the thing, because my english is bad... i mean, you shouldnt take everything to serious... okay, he is a very good and maybe revolutionary guitarist, but i hate his wah wah action all the time... sounded so fucking gay...

and i really don´t need to re-think... kill me because i dont like ratm...

Old 2006-07-13, 20:30
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Quote:
damn... i know all the ratm stuff, but i dont like it... i love it, when he does his minimalist playing with audioslave... sorry mr. wise guy, but i don´t like it... for me almost everything sounded the same...

fuck, i cant describe the thing, because my english is bad... i mean, you shouldnt take everything to serious... okay, he is a very good and maybe revolutionary guitarist, but i hate his wah wah action all the time... sounded so fucking gay...

and i really don´t need to re-think... kill me because i dont like ratm...

My argument wasn't based on you liking Rage Against The Machine. I shouldn't have to explain that since it is explicitly stated within my post. RATM are far from my favourite band, in fact they're pretty low on my list, but to dismiss Morello's abilities as nothing more than the utilisation of guitar effects is sheer folly.

You even admit that Morello is very good and revolutionary, but you dislike his playing because wah-wah sounds "gay". Way to appreciate a musician's talents. Trey Azagthoth overuses wah-wah at times and some of his solos grate, but I'm not going to dismiss his ability as a soloist on these grounds when he also produces moments of genius; to do so would be cutting my nose off to spite my face.

Old 2006-07-13, 20:46
grindi
New Blood

and i say it again... you shouldnt take everything to serious...

i didn´t understand half of your post..

Old 2006-07-13, 21:05
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Serious? That ain't serious, kid. That's called arguing - and justifying my viewpoint - without resorting to insults or letting subjectivity get in the way.

Old 2006-07-13, 22:14
grindi
New Blood

damn... i dont understand... and dont call me kid...

Old 2006-07-13, 23:08
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

ROFL, then quit arguing. Dismissing a well thought out counter point with "it sounds fucking gay" proves that you are either 15, or an idiot.

I personally dont care for Tom Morello but I can recognize originality when I hear it. And I agree that he has some really slick playing on RATM's self titled album.
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut

Old 2006-07-14, 06:22
grindi
New Blood

i did quit arguing... and damn... i admit that he is "a very good and maybe revolutionary guitarist" and that he should take my post not to serious... what do want? that i fall on my knees and kiss him his feet? idiots... both...

Old 2006-07-14, 07:44
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Not at all. I merely refuted your statement, and if that makes me an idiot then so be it.

Old 2006-07-14, 08:29
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
i did quit arguing... and damn... i admit that he is "a very good and maybe revolutionary guitarist" and that he should take my post not to serious... what do want? that i fall on my knees and kiss him his feet? idiots... both...

I just because of the way you worded your original statement. You stated that without effects, Tom Morello is just an average guitarist. It wouldnt be an issue if said this was your opinion, but to say it as if its a fact is bound to get you flamed.
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut

Old 2006-07-28, 06:13
Scythes of Bodom
New Blood

Hendrix. Vaugn, Vai, Satriani
Then rip from my heart to show me, how black it is!

-Angels Don't Kill- Children of Bodom

Old 2006-07-28, 06:30
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title

Quote:
tom morello without his wah wah effects, would be a average guitarist... audioslave is a great band but rage against the machine sucks...

have you heard him without his wahs? he's more than an average guitarist.
his effects make him unique. he can make any sound with his guitar, practically.
and audioslave sucks, rage against the machine is much much better.

Old 2006-07-28, 07:48
grindi
New Blood

have you read the rest of the posts? goddamnit... shut up...

Old 2006-07-28, 08:47
metal_monkey
Post-whore

also the fact that he taught himself is another great achievement

Youve made me cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by problematic
Metal Monkey: retarded comments galore.

RIP this guy

Old 2006-07-29, 01:21
Blood Red Bass
Post-whore

I agree with all of the postive things said about Morello. It was very impressive to see how he used the instrument in many unconventional ways. I also think that Rge Against the Machine was the ONLY band that could bring the rap/rock genre to a respectable and enjoyable level. And is Jimmy Page considered a metal guitarist? I'm not being sarcastic cause most people don't consider Zepplin to be metal and I felt the list was sorely lacking without him on it.
Compare these people to the norm, say, Muhammed Suiçmez for instance who seems to think that lots of poorly strung together riffs spaced awkwardly around fancy monotonous sweeps covers up the fact that his ideas and songs are really quit boring.

Old 2006-07-29, 03:50
ulrichmc
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Red Bass
And is Jimmy Page considered a metal guitarist? I'm not being sarcastic cause most people don't consider Zepplin to be metal and I felt the list was sorely lacking without him on it.

I think he was mentioned in at least one post... As far as Zeppelin being metal... in their day, they were. By today's standards they are more hard rock than metal.

My favorite non-metal guitarists? Hmmm....
Mr. Page
Stevie Ray
Richie Blackmore (also could be considered metal)
Robert Johnson

Plenty more...way to many to list
Where is the invisible line that we must draw to create individual thought?

Old 2006-07-30, 16:11
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Zeppelin have never been considered metal.

Old 2006-07-30, 16:42
necromouse
New Blood

jack white is good too, hes not as good as some of the people you're listing, but there's alot of people who are much worse.

Old 2006-07-30, 17:13
Blood Red Bass
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
Zeppelin have never been considered metal.

I can definitley understand them not being considered metal now but NEVER They were one of the first bands to have songs based on the lord of the rings!!!
Compare these people to the norm, say, Muhammed Suiçmez for instance who seems to think that lots of poorly strung together riffs spaced awkwardly around fancy monotonous sweeps covers up the fact that his ideas and songs are really quit boring.

Old 2006-07-30, 17:16
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

No, they were always just considered a rock band. I think the band themselves distanced themselves from being described as metal when the matter arose, particularly when Sabbath arrived on the scene.

Old 2006-07-30, 17:21
Blood Red Bass
Post-whore

Well.....I guess you have a point. Black Sabbath was the first band to embrace the "evil" and use distorted guitars 90% of the time. They also were the first popular band to tune down as much as they did if I am correct(not sure). But Zepplin.....and dare i say Queen, is very metal-friendly hard rock. Jimi Hendrix is considered to be hard rock as well but zepplin and queen have more in common with metal than hendrix ever did.

Old 2006-07-30, 17:27
Bia
Muffin Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Red Bass
I can definitley understand them not being considered metal now but NEVER They were one of the first bands to have songs based on the lord of the rings!!!

So...Lord Of The Rings is Gay

Old 2006-07-30, 17:29
necromouse
New Blood

id think of zepplin being metal before id ever think of sabbath.
like, in the 80's, when ozzy left and the world was hair metal n' shit, yeah they were metal, but when they started off zepplin was alot closer to metal

Old 2006-07-30, 17:34
Bia
Muffin Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by necromouse
id think of zepplin being metal before id ever think of sabbath.

What planet are you from?

Old 2006-07-30, 21:41
metal_monkey
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bia
What planet are you from?

Earth

Youve made me cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by problematic
Metal Monkey: retarded comments galore.

RIP this guy

Old 2006-07-31, 03:01
arvina
Post-whore

what? how can you think that? i like zepplin WAY more than sabbath, but sabbath was, i think, around before zepplin and they were more metal sounding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def

www.tdiclub.com

Old 2006-07-31, 03:06
Blood Red Bass
Post-whore

Zepplin's first album came out a year before Sabbath's first album did, know your rock history

Old 2006-07-31, 03:22
PST 88
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

And Zeppelin's a permutation of an earlier band called The Yardbirds who'd been around for years.

If you don't hear metal on the first six Sabbath albums I doubt you've heard it at all.

Old 2006-07-31, 07:33
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

I don't here any metal in Zep and to say that they were more metal than Sabbath is very wide of the mark - Zep certainly didn't have anything as heavy as War Pigs or Iron Man.

Old 2006-07-31, 07:49
OpethFan
Toast-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
I don't here any metal in Zep and to say that they were more metal than Sabbath is very wide of the mark - Zep certainly didn't have anything as heavy as War Pigs or Iron Man.

Led zep were blues/rock. I seriously cant understand how they can be classed anything near metal.

Sabbath on the other hand definately had heavy metal riffing. Led zep had rock licks, and blues/pentatonic based solos, let alone the mass of acoustic songs which were definately far from metal.

Quote:

Old 2006-07-31, 13:42
Banishment
Metalhead

Gilmour, Hendrix, Knoppler, Adam Jones (Tool), Clapton, Pat Metheny, Vaughn. There's more to life than metal. Both Opeth and Morbid Angel claim to have been influenced by or enjoyed the music of Pink Floyd. Now if you think know more about music, metal and guitar than Ackerfeld (Opeth - excuse the spelling), you belong in a padded cell.

There's more to guitar than just jacking off your strings and showing off. Any guitarist who can make their guitar speak/sing/howl for itself is worthy of note. Gilmour did that. Hendrix did that. Trey Azagthoth did that. Who gives a shit that one played prog rock, one played hard rock and the other played death metal?

Just because a guitarist doesn't shred doesn't mean he can't. I'm sure many jazz players could out-shred many worshipped metal players... Don't slit your own throat by only accepting metal, you'll sound just the same as some fake punk who only accepts punk as music...

Old 2006-07-31, 22:01
Blood Red Bass
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpethFan
Led zep were blues/rock. I seriously cant understand how they can be classed anything near metal.

Sabbath on the other hand definately had heavy metal riffing. Led zep had rock licks, and blues/pentatonic based solos, let alone the mass of acoustic songs which were definately far from metal.

Uuuuhhhh......sabbath was definately blues influenced, especially in the solos too. The first "metal" bands near the popularity level of zep and sabbath to not have an apparent blues influenced was judas priest and Iron Maiden (especially iron maiden).

Old 2006-08-01, 03:12
Zertonshfits
Post-whore

Andy Timmons, Stevie Ray Vaughn... That's all I can really think of besides the classics.

By the way, Zeppelin are ROCK. Not metal. They paved the way for metal to be created, but they are not metal in any way. That's like saying Bach is Death/Grindcore or The Beatles are Gore/Technical Thrash.

NECROTIC
Canadian Brutal Death (So you know it's good)

Old 2006-08-01, 06:33
ulrichmc
Senior Metalhead

Zeppelin were far from the metal of today, but I think the term 'heavy metal' was coined while referring to Zeppelin. The band didn't classify themselves as metal though. They did distance themselves from the term. Zep paved the way for modern metal, right along with Sabbath.
Where is the invisible line that we must draw to create individual thought?

Old 2006-08-01, 16:49
Sic_Fitzravia
Metalhead

Stevie Ray Vaughan and Mark Knopfler are my favourites

Last edited by Sic_Fitzravia : 2006-08-01 at 18:02.

Old 2006-08-01, 17:54
Unanything
Post-whore

Rusty Cooley.

God. 'Nuff said.

Is a god, and still concludes that it would take many lifetimes to master the guitar. And the only ego he has is a realisation of his great speed.

www.garageband.com/tranxnart
www.myspace.com/tranxnart
www.youtube.com/user/Tranxhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while fucking you in the eye. Brutal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadude
I coated the end of a toothpick with Satan's blood and simply wiped it across the top of an omelet. PERFECT!

Old 2006-08-02, 04:05
Blood Red Bass
Post-whore

I think Rusty Cooley would qualify as a metal guitarist....seeing as he uses Ibanez/Jackson 7 strings and plays neo-classical solos at blistering speed and precision.