MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2007-11-09, 21:29
cotd666
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMyk
Got some Seymour Duncan Blackouts yesterday and put them straight in where my EMG 81s were. I really can't see myself going back, they destroy the EMGs in pretty much every way.

im thinking of getting a pair of blackouts for my guitar. do they completely smoke emgs? i need low chugging death metal rhythms and clear leads. do they do it better than an emg?

Old 2007-12-28, 20:54
MetalMyk
New Blood

Yeah, the neck pickup sounds fucking great for clear leads, and they're both really tight. Its hard to describe but they sound less middy and 'thrashy' than 81s.

Old 2008-02-26, 03:15
Auyard
Senior Metalhead

I have an Ibanez VBT700, Mahogany body, thru-neck, string thru body design -->Ampeg VH-140c, and I was thinking of changing the bridge pickup (don't ever use neck pickups). I was looking at the X2N cause it's gotten pretty good reviews and has a HIGH output. I want to be able to get an old school death metal sound a la Frightmare and Engorged, but able to also able to retain a sharp distorted tone. Can the X2N do that?

Old 2008-02-26, 03:17
the_bleeding
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auyard
I have an Ibanez VBT700, Mahogany body, thru-neck, string thru body design -->Ampeg VH-140c, and I was thinking of changing the bridge pickup (don't ever use neck pickups). I was looking at the X2N cause it's gotten pretty good reviews and has a HIGH output. I want to be able to get an old school death metal sound a la Frightmare and Engorged, but able to also able to retain a sharp distorted tone. Can the X2N do that?

hellll yes.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2008-05-28, 20:49
Carbonized
Senior Metalhead

Question

Hi, everyone!

1) Is there a thread about humbuckers and single-coil pickups, please? I know single-coil are said to be clearer, brighter yet 'hum' and are noisier and humbuckers are the opposite of that but I'd like to know more, if there's anything else to know.
I searched for threads and posts but couldn't find any that addressed the question.

2) Also, I'd like to know why on some guitars with single-coil pickups, the pickups are positioned at an angle (slanted). What effect, if any, does that have on the sound? I guess there's a reason for it but I wouldn't be surprised if it was purely for aesthetic purposes!

Thanks, guys!

Old 2008-09-19, 04:26
JackTheMetalHead
New Blood

Hey guys, I'm in a dilemma. I play a Schecter Gryphon Limited Edition guitar and i want to upgrade the pups on it to active humbuckers. The only thing i have in mind is the 81/85s. To get an idea of what kind of sound i want, i love between the buried and me, so if anyone knows how their songs sound. They have very clear distorted lead solos and soft clean breakdowns. Would the 81/85 be good for my needs or can somone recommend something else?

~thanks

Old 2008-10-02, 19:02
tyrocks00
New Blood
Banned

Thanks a lot.

Old 2009-11-16, 15:27
IRON90
Supreme Metalhead

I'm thinking about replacing the emg 81-7 and 707 in my Viper 407 for some dimarzios. The first combo that comes to mind for me is X2N in the bridge and Air Norton-7 in the neck (the X2N because it's over the top and Air Norton because of the warm sound). Will there be a huge difference in gain/volume? If so, what combination would be better?

Old 2009-11-16, 18:59
the_bleeding
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRON90
I'm thinking about replacing the emg 81-7 and 707 in my Viper 407 for some dimarzios. The first combo that comes to mind for me is X2N in the bridge and Air Norton-7 in the neck (the X2N because it's over the top and Air Norton because of the warm sound). Will there be a huge difference in gain/volume? If so, what combination would be better?

there will be a big volume difference in your cleans. And a big saturation difference in your distortion. Honestly, im running a warpig in my bridge (21.5k) and a rockfield SWV in my neck (7k) and its totally doable.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2009-11-16, 21:15
IRON90
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
there will be a big volume difference in your cleans. And a big saturation difference in your distortion. Honestly, im running a warpig in my bridge (21.5k) and a rockfield SWV in my neck (7k) and its totally doable.

So you mean that I should go for it if I want the pickups?

EDIT: BTW does anybody know if I will have to mod the pickup cavity for the passive pickups? Since the emg;s are of another model.

Last edited by IRON90 : 2009-11-16 at 21:22.

Old 2009-11-17, 00:21
the_bleeding
Post-whore

Quote:
So you mean that I should go for it if I want the pickups?

EDIT: BTW does anybody know if I will have to mod the pickup cavity for the passive pickups? Since the emg;s are of another model.

go for it yeah. Unless you do a lot of pickup switching on your clean channel, you shouldnt notice much.

And is it a 6 or 7 string. The 6 string pickups are normal size. Why they made the 7 string pickups all fucked up is beyond me.

Old 2009-11-17, 01:58
Dystopia
Post-whore

so, what are the best guitar pickups to put in your guitar? i have duncans and some other kind. Can anybody help me?

Old 2009-11-17, 02:00
MetalThrashingMad
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

imo a pair of nice duncan humbuckers can't be beat.

Old 2009-11-17, 03:59
the_bleeding
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dystopia
so, what are the best guitar pickups to put in your guitar? i have duncans and some other kind. Can anybody help me?

depends what you're looking for. I like the feel of bareknuckles. They're quite different from your regular run of the mill pickup - but thats only nice if you want sometihng different

Old 2009-11-17, 04:33
IRON90
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
go for it yeah. Unless you do a lot of pickup switching on your clean channel, you shouldnt notice much.

And is it a 6 or 7 string. The 6 string pickups are normal size. Why they made the 7 string pickups all fucked up is beyond me.

It's for a 7 string. I've done som measuring and I think they will fit but I'm not sure. I will have to modify the pickup rings a bit, but I hope that I won't have to modify the cavity.

Old 2009-11-17, 05:56
Dystopia
Post-whore

yeah, i got 2 7 strings..

so did anybody watch the new metalocalypse last night?

Old 2009-11-17, 16:47
the_bleeding
Post-whore

Quote:
It's for a 7 string. I've done som measuring and I think they will fit but I'm not sure. I will have to modify the pickup rings a bit, but I hope that I won't have to modify the cavity.

oh damn. Well emg's are larger than passives in 7 stringers. So im not sure what steps you'll have to take.

Old 2009-11-17, 18:17
IRON90
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
oh damn. Well emg's are larger than passives in 7 stringers. So im not sure what steps you'll have to take.
Well as long as the cavity is bigger than the passive pickup it shouldn't be too much of a problem, right?

Old 2009-11-17, 21:12
the_bleeding
Post-whore

Quote:
Well as long as the cavity is bigger than the passive pickup it shouldn't be too much of a problem, right?

maybe. Depends if you can get pickup rings on it.

Old 2009-11-18, 19:11
IRON90
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
maybe. Depends if you can get pickup rings on it.

I've measured and I think the pickup rings will fit. Otherwise, I'll find some other way to do it.

Old 2010-08-29, 14:25
I is be sexy
New Blood

I'm making a partscaster. It's got a mahogany body with a maple neck and fingerboard. The neck is a warmoth conversion neck, so the scale length is a little shorter than a regular strat (24.75"). It's got two volume push-pull pots (so both pickups will be splittable), and no tone pot. My amp is a Randall RM50, and I play metalcore, death metal, melo death, tech death, etc. I want a tight, articulate, balanced, powerful, high-output bridge pickup for rhythm and some leads, and a neck pickup that has really good cleans and can still do metal leads. I've mostly been looking at dimarzio, and have come up with these:

Bridge:
X2N
Evolution Bridge
D-Activator
D-Activator X

Neck:
PAF Pro
PAF Joe
Evolution Neck

From what I've read and (to some extent) listened to, these all seem to be fairly similar to each other. What are some specific differences, and which would you guys recommend? Also, are there others (from any company) I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance

EDIT: forgot to mention, I'll probably be in B tuning, maybe a little higher or lower

Last edited by I is be sexy : 2010-08-29 at 15:27.

Old 2010-08-30, 21:26
the_bleeding
Post-whore

bareknuckle nailbomb or painkiller set. This is the bugatti veyron for what you want to play. And do everything you just described. I shit you not, either of these sets will be the last set of metal pickups you ever buy in your life. Evar.

In case of a tighter budget... Uhm... For what you want, you'd probably like the D-activators. The evolutions will expose every flaw in your playing, which isnt very nice when playing anything -death. And the paf pro is good for what you want too.

Old 2010-08-31, 00:49
I is be sexy
New Blood

Thanks. I'm pretty poor, so I probably can't (or shouldn't) afford bareknuckles, but just in case, which are their tightest pickups? Are they tighter than the d activators?

Old 2010-09-01, 00:09
I is be sexy
New Blood

Also, how are the D-Sonic and Crunch Lab?

Old 2011-04-17, 13:43
Mr.ASH
New Blood

Hi there am new here and I have question that will help me alot.

I have Yamaha RGX220DZ Guitar and am happy with it even thow most dont love it but for me I used to play with it and I deal great with it.

I play Melodic Death Metal.

My Question

During that am play that kind I want to change my pickups for some this more power and in the same time smoth tone.

So I see most dont advance me with EMG 81/85 spiceally that it will not work fine with my guitar as I think

so am goin fomr this chooes : Seymour Duncan Invader and Dimarzio DP155.

So what all think please help and if there is any better chooes advice me , and hop all will do.

Thanks