MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2006-03-24, 03:45
*insert name here*
Jono

The OFFICIAL guitar pickups thread.

So many questions and confusion about pickup voicing,combinations,tonewood, ect.Heres the place to ask,and to refer to about pickup related topics.

Old 2006-03-24, 03:49
Mapex7string
Senior Metalhead

right on

what would be a good match for a evolution as far as a neck pickup goes? I want to get a lead tone similar to chuck on human, or a really spacey sound like trey azagoth on gateways to annihilation

Old 2006-03-24, 04:07
Soeru
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapex7string
right on

what would be a good match for a evolution as far as a neck pickup goes? I want to get a lead tone similar to chuck on human, or a really spacey sound like trey azagoth on gateways to annihilation

If you want Trey's lead tone, you'll need a PAF Pro in the bridge. A shame it's not hot enough for anything else besides Morbid Angel or shredding/cleans unless you use a distortion boost of some sort. It's a very clean, clear and transparent sound. That's what gives him those air-like, captivating voicings for his solos(plus that's a Marshall JCM900 he plays, and he does a lot of weird mic'ing techniques). For an evo, try an evo neck pup?

An extremely versatile combo is a X2N in the bridge and a PAF Pro in the neck. That's a good passive pup for anything metal, but you can still tweak the volume and tone knobs to dull down the sound a bit, and you've got a perfect blues axe. I would also suggest a Tonezone(brown, modern techno-ish sort of sound, like Van Halen) in the bridge but maybe that's not what you're looking for(tonezone isn't extremely hot, and it's very warm, so it's best for bright guitars).

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2006-03-24, 04:21
*insert name here*
Jono

I dont like PAF's in the bridge,thats where they can get muddy.An EVO neck would suit you fine.

Old 2006-03-25, 14:04
problematic
Post-whore
Banned

What's the diff between an evo and an x2n ? sure sure, name all the artists you want, but I don't care. So yeah which one's better for what? Reason im asking is because ill be buying one soon for my 7 (basswood)

Old 2006-03-25, 14:51
Soeru
Post-whore

Evo is super sensitive. Has a very slightly scooped EQ, it's designed for lead players with a good technique. X2N is a little more balanced, has more mids, and is porbably better for metal rythm(and leads too). I'd get the X2N-7 just cause it's new and not a lotta people have it yet.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2006-03-26, 06:29
m3talhead666
Senior Metalhead

if i were to replace the 2 humbuckers and 1 single coil in an RG with an X2N in the bridge, a Paf pro in the neck which pickup should i put in the middle so that it does not get drowned out by the x2n?

Old 2006-03-26, 12:46
Soeru
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3talhead666
if i were to replace the 2 humbuckers and 1 single coil in an RG with an X2N in the bridge, a Paf pro in the neck which pickup should i put in the middle so that it does not get drowned out by the x2n?

The only reason you would want one in the middle is so you can coil split the 2 humbuckers to get 3 singlecoils at once, like a strat. Otherwise, you won't need a middle pickup, just take it out or leave it there(all the way down) for cosmetic purposes.

Old 2006-03-27, 05:46
*insert name here*
Jono

Or put a hotrail in there.

Old 2006-03-28, 19:01
mike j.
Metalhead

+1. and those ain't bad little pups at all. not great, but not bad. and you could probably pull a coil split on that kinda setup, too.

Old 2006-03-28, 21:13
Doktorskell
Senior Metalhead

I heard that EVO's make shit players sound worse. Is it true?

Old 2006-03-29, 08:03
*insert name here*
Jono

Dont be silly.

Old 2006-03-29, 13:13
the_bleeding
Post-whore

i have a 22fret mahogany body/maple top guitar, and i want new pickups in it. Right now, it has super 2's and i love them in the neck for their cleans and how they arent muddy with only 22 frets.

BUT i want more gain in the bridge, and with more gain i'd also like some brightness so that leads still sound decent... leads like Nile dont work for what i play... I'm pretty much thinking of the emg-81 sound, but i dont want anymore actives... any suggestions?
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2006-03-29, 22:34
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

I hear that the Dimarzio X2N is almost like a passive version of EMGs. Very hot pickup. The leads will sound very nice and chugs will be bright. Just listen to some Death to get an idea. Cant wait to get mine in 3-4months...

Old 2006-03-29, 23:09
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

I've got a les paul. For the neck pickup, I like to do clean rhythm work, but at the same time I like to get nice rich, warm lead tones. Which is more suited for that, a Duncan '59 or a Jazz?

Old 2006-03-30, 07:54
*insert name here*
Jono

Jazz I would say,awesome lead tones,great for sweeping.My favorite duncan pickup.

Old 2006-04-02, 16:27
Yertle4
Senior Metalhead

Quick question: what's the bassiest pickup around?

(Explanation: My guitar is basically all maple and has these ultra trebly/high output ferrite pickups that requires me to turn bass/contour to max, treble to min and the tone knob on the guitar to full bass when playing live - the PA mixer then mods it to hell. A very bassy pickup would remedy this a little, I hope. I may downtune to B in time.)

Old 2006-04-04, 09:36
*insert name here*
Jono

Not the bassiest pickup around,but its up there.Duncan Invaders might be what your looking for,though I hear they can get muddy when you downtune to B.

Old 2006-04-05, 01:52
Sythke21
Metalhead

Could someone help me, im new to guitar around year now and my guitar is a 2nd hand inbanez ex350, not in awesome shape, but im happy with it none the less.

basically i want new pickups, but im completely lost where to start, i think i have some average ones, which are in horrible condition, all the metal dots are rusted and have scratches, and my on higher notes my guitar has a tinny sound to it.

my guitar has 5 pickups i think?? im not sure, but it has 5 sections, 2 clumped together on each end and single one in the middle.

im looking for new ones, can someone recommend me some, i dont know if you buy them individually or as pack, i have no clue.
if it helps i mainly play death metal type music.
thanks.

Old 2006-04-05, 04:44
*insert name here*
Jono

You have two humbuckers(The 'clumped' ones),and one single coil in the middle.That totals 3 pickups.Check out EMG's.

Old 2006-04-05, 04:46
Soeru
Post-whore

Haha, no actually you have 3 pickups. 2 humbuckers(double coils), but counting the middle pickup it's a total of 5 coils.

Mainly death metal? Well you can try:

For the Bridge: Dimarzio X2N, Tonezone, Seymour Duncan Invader, EMG-81.
For the neck : PAF Pro, EMG 85, EMG 89, Duncan Jazz, Dimarzio Evolution,
Middle pickup: unless you do coil splitting to use 3 of the coils to get the strat sound, you don't need one, especially not for death mettal, so take it out.

Old 2006-04-05, 07:46
Yertle4
Senior Metalhead

A question on this note: if I had a H - S - H guitar with a 5-five way switch, what kind of adjustements / procedure would I have to follow in order to remove the single coil and not fuck anything up (ie. avoid excessive buzzing, not make wierd electric shocks go around the guitar etc etc)?

Old 2006-04-05, 08:22
NuMustDie
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yertle4
A question on this note: if I had a H - S - H guitar with a 5-five way switch, what kind of adjustements / procedure would I have to follow in order to remove the single coil and not fuck anything up (ie. avoid excessive buzzing, not make wierd electric shocks go around the guitar etc etc)?

Just rip it out, its as easy as that. You wont fuck anything up. If youre not planning on using the single coil, just lower down till its flush with the body and leave it there. I had a guitar like that before, I hated the center single coil cause it would interfere with my picking.

DEATH'SRIG

Old 2006-04-05, 09:49
Yertle4
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuMustDie
Just rip it out, its as easy as that. You wont fuck anything up. If youre not planning on using the single coil, just lower down till its flush with the body and leave it there. I had a guitar like that before, I hated the center single coil cause it would interfere with my picking.

I lowered it down as low as it gets but it doesn't go down low enough. I put a piece of duct tape over part of it so I don't accidently hit the little metal pieces and get stuck.
If I rip it out and remove all the wiring and gizmos, there won't be a problem with nothing being assigned to Switch position 3, right?

Old 2006-04-05, 09:50
Sythke21
Metalhead

thanks guys, ive read the first 20 pages of the EMG pickups thread and decided im gonna get some 81/85s and get rid of my middle pickup. only problem now is the price, they arent cheap here in australia, for the 81 and 85 its around $520AU....thats around $350 US....ive searched ebay but found nothing, anybody in aus, now where to get em cheaper?

Old 2006-04-05, 13:48
mike j.
Metalhead

that sounds like a tough question, man. i hope someone knows. there's something wrong with decent gear being so expensive in a country that spawned the likes of Psycroptic. good luck, though.

Old 2006-04-05, 17:28
NuMustDie
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yertle4
I lowered it down as low as it gets but it doesn't go down low enough. I put a piece of duct tape over part of it so I don't accidently hit the little metal pieces and get stuck.
If I rip it out and remove all the wiring and gizmos, there won't be a problem with nothing being assigned to Switch position 3, right?

No shoudnt be a problem, everything else is already hooked up independently, youll just have a blank when flickin the selector to the center.

DEATH'SRIG

Old 2006-04-05, 23:12
Sythke21
Metalhead

well i actually found the ZW set for $150US on eaby. cant wait!

Old 2006-04-06, 00:26
HelpMeHelpYou
Supreme Metalhead

Alright heres my dilemma: I'm looking at getting a 7 string. But, when I do I'm gonna want to switch out the pickups right away. So my question is whats a good versatile passive pickup combination for a 7 string? (COIL TAPPING IS A MUST!)

Old 2006-04-08, 11:18
fatdanny
Post-whore

What are humbucker covers for? I'm assuming they're not just for aesthetics.

ie, these

Old 2006-04-08, 14:51
Slabbefusk
FUCKING HOFF-STYLE!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdanny
What are humbucker covers for? I'm assuming they're not just for aesthetics.

ie, these

The holes are for the adjustable polepieces. Other than that they are purely aesthetic.

Old 2006-04-08, 23:27
matterthief
Metalhead

For you guys with a middle pickup you don't know what to do with, StewMac sells "megaswitches" that provide some interesting switching options for a variety of pickup configurations

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electro...gaswitches.html

I have the "E" model with a super distortion in the bridge, super 2 in the neck and fast track2 in the middle. I thought the switch may be a problem if I had a really powerful pickup like the x2n that would overpower every thing so I chose humbuckers that have equal outputs and different tonal qualities. I get some nice sounds out of it.

Old 2006-04-11, 13:00
HermanRi!
Post-whore

yo, i plan to get an ibanez rg1570mrb soon, and its going to be set up with 9s and tuned to e. this is because i will be using it to learn and practice ''shred''.

i dont think the pickups that come with this guitar are very good so as soon as i get it, im going to swap them. so, i came here because i need help choosing which pickups to get, i was thinking of emgs, but i dont think theyre great for shred, well theyre ok, but im sure theres better. they seem a bit too hot for me.

so what neck pickup would be suitable for clean and fluid sweeps (i use my neck pup for sweeps) and for fast runs?

and what bridge pickup would be suitable for heavy and tight distortion whilst still being suitable for shred like runs and licks?

i hope you can help me out

cheers
user01

Old 2006-04-11, 15:27
the_bleeding
Post-whore

im looking into a new guitar, but my decision will be based in the pickups, so dont flame this post.
Ones the fernandez ravelle elite, and the ravelle deluxe, the difference being the deluxe has JB/jazz, and the elite has JB/fernandez sustainer. From what i've read... the sustainer is a fairly muddy pickup... and when its on with distortion it just sounds like feedback. But i've gotten mixed reviews... some hate it, some love it.
I need this guitar to sound different than my GP (x2n/super2) and my BCR(81/85)... but i want the bridge to have decently high gain (jb is good for that right?) and the neck to be able to dish out a clear sound while clean and distorted... so which neck pickup/guitar works for this?
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2006-04-13, 12:08
*insert name here*
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sythke21
thanks guys, ive read the first 20 pages of the EMG pickups thread and decided im gonna get some 81/85s and get rid of my middle pickup. only problem now is the price, they arent cheap here in australia, for the 81 and 85 its around $520AU....thats around $350 US....ive searched ebay but found nothing, anybody in aus, now where to get em cheaper?

Who is selling them for $520??Fuck.How about $355
EMG ZAKK WYLDE SET(81 AND 85)

Old 2006-04-13, 12:11
*insert name here*
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by User01
yo, i plan to get an ibanez rg1570mrb soon, and its going to be set up with 9s and tuned to e. this is because i will be using it to learn and practice ''shred''.

i dont think the pickups that come with this guitar are very good so as soon as i get it, im going to swap them. so, i came here because i need help choosing which pickups to get, i was thinking of emgs, but i dont think theyre great for shred, well theyre ok, but im sure theres better. they seem a bit too hot for me.

so what neck pickup would be suitable for clean and fluid sweeps (i use my neck pup for sweeps) and for fast runs?

and what bridge pickup would be suitable for heavy and tight distortion whilst still being suitable for shred like runs and licks?

i hope you can help me out

cheers
user01

PAFpro neck-great for 'fluid' sweeps,and a X2N-bridge - tight,high output
EVO set,better for picking runs(neck),and a great bridge pickup.Work great with Ibanez's.Popular choice,too.

Old 2006-04-13, 15:58
HermanRi!
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by *insert name here*
PAFpro neck-great for 'fluid' sweeps,and a X2N-bridge - tight,high output
EVO set,better for picking runs(neck),and a great bridge pickup.Work great with Ibanez's.Popular choice,too.

cheers man
thanks alot for the help :P

im probably going to get with the pafpro/x2n and maybe have the evo set in my other guitar, im starting to grow a bit tired of emgs, too hot for shred imo. or maybe its just with my setup...

Old 2006-04-13, 17:35
eyehatepop89
New Blood

I'm in need of some new pickups and I was wondering what would go well with my guitar (an Ibanez SA160)and that would have a great sound/sustain and be versatile as well (ranging from jazz to death to metalcore). Anyone that can help me?

Old 2006-04-13, 18:37
Unanything
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyehatepop89
I'm in need of some new pickups and I was wondering what would go well with my guitar (an Ibanez SA160)and that would have a great sound/sustain and be versatile as well (ranging from jazz to death to metalcore). Anyone that can help me?

The Seymour Duncan JB (bridge) and '59 (neck). I have the seven-string versions on my Schecter C-7 and when I shift about my pickup selector I get five distinct and toneful sounds for about any music I could want to play on it.

www.garageband.com/tranxnart
www.myspace.com/tranxnart
www.youtube.com/user/Tranxhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while fucking you in the eye. Brutal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadude
I coated the end of a toothpick with Satan's blood and simply wiped it across the top of an omelet. PERFECT!

Old 2006-04-14, 00:21
*insert name here*
Jono

+1 to the JB/'59.

Old 2006-04-19, 09:27
John Holland
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Banned

Alright, I think I'm going to get a seven-string Jackson Christian Olde Webbers model ... it has an EMG 707 in the bridge as stock.

How hard would it be to put a passive pickup like a JB or Evo in there?

Old 2006-04-19, 12:00
*insert name here*
Jono

Not too difficult,as you just need to take out all of the components and replace them with passive compatable ones.Your local store should be able to do it for you.

Old 2006-04-19, 12:01
*insert name here*
Jono

Not too difficult,as you just need to take out all of the components and replace them with passive compatable ones.Your local store should be able to do it for you.Though,707's have a wider route than most 7 string pickups,right?You might need to put a ring around it or something.

Old 2006-04-26, 19:47
John Holland
Banned

Alright ... decided NOT to get the Jackson. I'm getting an Ibanez Prestige 7-string with a basswood body w/ bolt on maple neck. The guitar has stock pickups though, which I'm sure I'll want to replace.

I've decided that even though I'm using a preamp that will give me more gain than I'll ever need, I like the sound of a high gain pickup ( like EMG's ) with the gain turned down to 4 than a lower gain pickup ( like a JB ) with the gain cranked to 7 ... to me it just sounds a bit more liquid-y. I need something versatile however, I'm going to be playing practically everything you can think of on the Ibanez ... I was thinking about an X2N in the bridge and a coil-tap capable Dimarzio pickup designed for the neck, in the neck. Then both pup's would have coil-tapping capabilities, which means I could cover blues and jazz territory.

X2N-7 in basswood ... yea or nay?

Old 2006-04-27, 00:53
*insert name here*
Jono

Yay,or an Evo.

EDIT:Evo little less gain,might be more versatile.

Old 2006-05-02, 13:54
problematic
Post-whore
Banned

Would you need versatility if you have a low output neck pickup? I guess it depends on what your versatility style is but just in general...

Im going for x2n in basswood (good quality). Im still bewildered by how much heavier my Warlock is than my 1527, because they are both of basswood. And you would expect more wood = more resonance, but no! Warlock = penis resonance!, and the wood volume is about the same...

Hah, there are probably fucking foreign objects in the wood, knowing B.C. Rich.

Old 2006-05-02, 14:00
problematic
Post-whore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by *insert name here*
Yay,or an Evo.

EDIT:Evo little less gain,might be more versatile.

Steve Vai uses evo's.

Steve Vai = gay.

therefore:

Evo's = gay.

Thanks to Dislexic for editing this post before.

Last edited by problematic : 2006-05-08 at 06:17.

Old 2006-05-03, 07:29
*insert name here*
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by problematic
Steve Vai uses evo's.

Steve Vai = gay.

I = love Steve Vai.

I = gay.

Well,

Steve Vai= gay
Evo's= great
You= gay
Me>you

yehKthnx??

Old 2006-05-07, 22:38
Destroyer_of_Senses
New Blood

BIll Lawrence/ Swimeshead Pickups

Im thinking of putting new pickups in my ibanez but nobody has ever heard of them before. has anyone here heard of Swineshead and Bill Lawrence pickups.
Was wondering if it would be a good idea to put out money for these or if i should just spend a little extra for EMg's

http://www.musicbizness.com/bill-la...ckup-p-298.html

http://www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk/xbucker.shtml

Thanks

Old 2006-05-07, 23:55
John Holland
Banned

I've seen that Swineshead website I think once. I don't know anything about their reputation, though.

The Bill Lawrence is tried and true, however. You can't go wrong with it.

Old 2006-05-08, 01:21
Destroyer_of_Senses
New Blood

would it be a good idea to just put in 2 bill lawrences or put an XL-500 in the bridge and something else in the neck. I know dimebag used the Xl-500 in the bridge but don't know if their neck pickups are good or if i should go with something else

Thanks

Old 2006-05-08, 02:05
the_bleeding
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer_of_Senses
would it be a good idea to just put in 2 bill lawrences or put an XL-500 in the bridge and something else in the neck. I know dimebag used the Xl-500 in the bridge but don't know if their neck pickups are good or if i should go with something else

Thanks

hey man, theres no need for your pickups to all be from the same company. It all depends on what sound you want from your guitar. A good thing to consider before getting a new neck pickup is asking yourself what you want to get out of it, and whether or not you need to replace it to get what you want.

Old 2006-05-08, 02:18
John Holland
Banned

Destroyer Of Senses, what kind of wood is your guitar made out of?

Old 2006-05-08, 19:05
Destroyer_of_Senses
New Blood

mahogany

Old 2006-05-09, 06:38
John Holland
Banned

Go for it.

Old 2006-05-09, 13:05
Destroyer_of_Senses
New Blood

alright thanks for evverybodys help im going for the bill lawrence XL-500 in the bridge and an Xbucker n the neck

Old 2006-05-09, 18:21
Panda
Senior Metalhead

anyone who is able to suggest me a pu? i tried almost everything but im not statisfied yet. i play a jackson with x2n atm through an engl savage 120 with double eq. i really like the x2ns lead sounds (high e b and g) but the bass strings ( e and a ... d not that much) get way 2 much boost/gain from my x2n. this makes my rythm sound muddy. it sounds typically overgained.

Old 2006-05-30, 07:40
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

Does anybody know how the Seymour Duncan SHR-1 Hot Rail single coil pickups sound in the neck position?

I would imagine they sound pretty sweet, But anybody know this? I've been thinking about taking out my stock neck pickup to get something a lil more sweeter sounding but sitll with the single coil sound.
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.
About requiem. Aint it the truth...

Old 2006-05-30, 09:06
*insert name here*
Jono

Very good,close to the open-ness of a bucker.High output,not so similar to other single coils.

Old 2006-06-03, 22:34
k13m
Post-whore

i foundout sumtin funny..wel didnt found out, but i dno how to say it in english the proper way lol.

i use a seymour distortion (bridge) and a dimarzio fred (neck) pickup.
when i switch them on together, i get a kinda wah wahish sound.. though id let everyone know.. yes im bored

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2006-07-28, 00:45
shredthehead
New Blood

hey
i was thinking about putting new pickups im my Epiphone SG this weekend
i was gunna go with the stand ard gibson 57 ones or something
im wondering what a good combonation is
I also heard that you gotta replace a battery in EMG pickups too
but the guy that told me that is a bit of a jackass so iill ask you guys

Old 2006-07-28, 06:04
metal_monkey
Post-whore

yes you do have to change the batteries with EMG pick-ups when they run out

Youve made me cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by problematic
Metal Monkey: retarded comments galore.

RIP this guy

Old 2006-08-21, 05:16
Rohirrim
New Blood

yo i'm changing the pickups in my guitar soon, don't want emgs. i play mainly folk/death/black metal, so something heavy but nothing gay. i'm playing an ibanez RGT42DXFM, and thinking about DiMarzio x2n (bridge) and PAF Pro (Neck), is this what i'm looking for

Old 2006-08-21, 08:23
*insert name here*
Jono

yes.-

Old 2006-08-21, 23:12
Doktorskell
Senior Metalhead

Need help with pickup suggestions for a guitar.

The guitar is an Ash Body with a maple neck and fingerboard.
It has a humbucker in the bridge and a single coil in the neck.

I like Evolutions but will it work in this guitar? Also what Single coil can i put in there to match the Evo?

Old 2006-08-21, 23:32
deanguitars
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktorskell
Need help with pickup suggestions for a guitar.

The guitar is an Ash Body with a maple neck and fingerboard.
It has a humbucker in the bridge and a single coil in the neck.

I like Evolutions but will it work in this guitar? Also what Single coil can i put in there to match the Evo?

it should work. as for the single coil i would get the malmsteen signature pick up

Old 2006-08-22, 00:00
Doktorskell
Senior Metalhead

I was thinking that too.

The guitar is a Strat Plus by the way. I'm converting it to a Shred/heavy-metal Machine by having it refretted with jumbo frets. and replacing the bridge and neck pickups.

Its going to sound amazing, its allready an amazing sounding guitar but i can tell with these mods it will be great.

Old 2006-08-22, 00:13
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

If you want it to have more of a scaloped feel, which I have come to understand is good for shredding, try using extra jumbo frets, Dunlop 6150 fretwire I think.

Old 2006-08-23, 20:09
Mordor
Post-whore

Hey i m looking for a neck pickup for my peavey v type (alder body, maple thru neck), I m searching for a pickup that will give me a nice clear defined tone for distorted solos that won't mud up and it has to have real good cleans.

I ve been looking at the dimarzio paf pro, seymour duncan jazz and the sd 59. Which one do u guys reckon is better? many thanks

Sold my shit, now its time to PARTY!!!!!

Old 2006-08-23, 20:57
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

They are all good choices I think, but since I prefer DiMarzio over Duncan, I'd say the PAF Pro.

Old 2006-08-27, 23:04
Wunderboy
Metalhead

What do you guys think about the Duncan LiveWire Metals? I checked out the website and it says that have really high output. It also says its an 18-volt. That means it requires two 9v batteries one pickup right?

Old 2006-08-28, 13:54
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

I don't know if anyone here can answer this question really, except the guy that plays for Absence. But does anybody know how good the neck pickups sound on the Caparison horus guitars? The slanted neck minihumbucker pickup?

I'm highly considering getting this guitar, and since i'm nowhere near the supplier of these guitars i can't check the shit out myself.
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.
About requiem. Aint it the truth...

Old 2006-08-28, 15:11
Six_Feet_Under_420
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordor
Hey i m looking for a neck pickup for my peavey v type (alder body, maple thru neck), I m searching for a pickup that will give me a nice clear defined tone for distorted solos that won't mud up and it has to have real good cleans.

I ve been looking at the dimarzio paf pro, seymour duncan jazz and the sd 59. Which one do u guys reckon is better? many thanks

I would go for the sd 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunderboy
What do you guys think about the Duncan LiveWire Metals? I checked out the website and it says that have really high output. It also says its an 18-volt. That means it requires two 9v batteries one pickup right?

I personally didn't like them the sound like emg's only more "sterile" If you like that go for it. But if you just want a lot of output get an dimarzio X2N. I have one, it will rip your face off. 510 mv output and it has clarity
+-+ .....::::: Alive to Live, Not to Believe....In a God that I cannot see :::::..... +-+

Last edited by Six_Feet_Under_420 : 2006-08-28 at 15:13.

Old 2006-08-29, 06:38
Wunderboy
Metalhead

The X2Ns are passive pickups right?
I've never tried out active pickups before. Does anybody think that they're worth it? Or are passives the way to go?

Old 2006-08-29, 08:42
Six_Feet_Under_420
Post-whore

Quote:
The X2Ns are passive pickups right?
I've never tried out active pickups before. Does anybody think that they're worth it? Or are passives the way to go?

If I were you I would go to a local guitar shop and try out a guitar with emg's and a guitar with powerful passives. Active ones are more sterile, passive one compliment the bodywood more and are more "dynamic". Me personally think passives are the way to go. Both type of pickups are good it's just what you think sounds better to you
+-+ .....::::: Alive to Live, Not to Believe....In a God that I cannot see :::::..... +-+

Old 2006-08-29, 09:13
Wunderboy
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six_Feet_Under_420
If I were you I would go to a local guitar shop and try out a guitar with emg's and a guitar with powerful passives. Active ones are more sterile, passive one compliment the bodywood more and are more "dynamic". Me personally think passives are the way to go. Both type of pickups are good it's just what you think sounds better to you

That's a great idea, and if I could, I would go check em out right now. But what's fucked up is there aren't any local guitar stores where I live.

I'm thinking about ordering a guitar and I want really good pickups for it.

Old 2006-08-29, 11:27
Six_Feet_Under_420
Post-whore

Quote:
That's a great idea, and if I could, I would go check em out right now. But what's fucked up is there aren't any local guitar stores where I live.

I'm thinking about ordering a guitar and I want really good pickups for it.

If you order a guitar and you can't preview it your best chance would be a active pickup 'cause they have their own sound kinda. The type of wood doesn't effect the sound in a way it would be with a passive. And if you worry about battery change, don't. You can play over a year with a battery

Old 2006-08-29, 12:04
Wunderboy
Metalhead

What do you think are the best active pickups out there?
My first choices were the EMG 81 and 85 for the bridge and neck respectively.

And how exactly are batteries located in the guitar? Are they within the pickup and you'd have to open it to replace it? Or are they just placed randomly in the body of the guitar?

Old 2006-08-29, 12:57
Six_Feet_Under_420
Post-whore

Quote:
What do you think are the best active pickups out there?
My first choices were the EMG 81 and 85 for the bridge and neck respectively.

And how exactly are batteries located in the guitar? Are they within the pickup and you'd have to open it to replace it? Or are they just placed randomly in the body of the guitar?

emg 81, 85 is an excellent choice.

and the batteries are where there's room in your guitar body. sometimes a cavity is routed for it. sometimes they lie by the input jack. you can put it anywhere

Old 2006-09-02, 02:19
FesteringCorpse
Metalhead

Pickup feeding back help

The other night before band practice my guitar fell over (in its case). When i started playing my axe wouldn't stop feeding back even when you lightly touch the strings and when you touch the screw that adjusts the pickup height it stops feeding back any ideas? (Seymour Duncan Dimebucker)

Old 2006-10-12, 04:51
THATDUDE7
New Blood

hey i need some opinions i have this guitar http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...itar?sku=516643

and i think it would sound a whole lot better with new pickups.

suggestions?

should i just emg it cuz the wood isnt that great? or go with passives?

i play dillinger/necrophagist/btbam/behemoth

sorry i posted this in the emg thread too but that thread may be biased so....

Old 2006-10-12, 07:33
the_bleeding
Post-whore

the link you had didnt really work... musicians friend seems to be referring links to their homepage. but all the bands you listed use emgs

Old 2006-10-12, 08:34
problematic
Post-whore
Banned

I can't believe someone posted in this thread.

Old 2006-10-12, 15:12
Wunderboy
Metalhead

I dunno if people still check this thread but ive got a question...

I'm kinda having second thoughts about getting active EMG and I want to go with other passive humbuckers.

Bridge
Seymour Duncan Dimebuckers? How are they in comparison to EMGs?
Dimarzio X2Ns? Seems like a really popular choice
Bill Lawrence L-500 XLs?

Neck
Seymour Duncan SH-1 '59s?
Dimarzio PAF/ PAF Classic
Dimarzio Humbucker From Hell

Old 2006-10-12, 16:10
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

Bridge
Dimebuckers-Alot of people say that they arent that great, but if heard one in person and it doesnt sound bad at all. Keep in mind though that Dime most likely never used this pickup, he stuck with his Bill Lawrences. Compared to EMGs? Id say the EMGs are hotter and sound tighter and not as trebly as a Dimebucker.
X2N- My favorite one. Its my choice bridge pickup now and forever unless something else amazing comes along. Is it really a popular choice? I dont know many other people who use it except Chuck and some guys on this forum. Anyway, its output is about as hot or hotter than an EMG. It has more dynamics than an EMG since its passive. Overall, I really like this pickup in my guitar.
L-500-XL-I never had any experience with them, but I think I heard they are pretty high output and sound very good.

Neck
I never used any of the ones you mentioned. I am planning on getting a PAF Pro installed in the neck position of my guitar in the future though. Ive heard though that many people say its good for cleaner stuff, sweeping and warm sounds without losing clarity when distortion is added.

Old 2006-10-13, 09:38
*insert name here*
Jono

PAF/X2N.

Old 2006-10-13, 13:31
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

"insert name here", I'm planning on getting that combo soon too. I love my X2N and I'm sure I'll like the PAF Pro as well. Since you mentioned that combo of pickups, I assume you have those 2 installed on your guitar. Did you wire them in parallel or coil tap? How does it sound?

Old 2006-10-14, 00:06
*insert name here*
Jono

They are coil tapped. There isnt a bad sounding combo between them. PAF's are by far my favorite neck pickups, they are just perfect. However, im way more flexible with bridge pickups, Evo2's, X2N, EMG 81's, I all like. The latter, I wish to try out with a PAF.

Old 2006-10-14, 16:35
Wunderboy
Metalhead

The PAF/X2N combo sounds pretty good coming from you guys.
I'm definitely going with the DiMarzio PAF, not sure which one though, but
I don't know if I should go with the X2n or the Bill Lawrence XL-500s.

Old 2006-10-15, 21:10
IRON90
Supreme Metalhead

Hey, I've got a question about stock pickups.

I'm thinking about buying a new guitar, probably an Ibanez RG 1527 or an SZ520FM. They both have got stock pickups, and there lies my question; are these pickups pure shit or are they actually playable? I won't have any cash to replace the pickups, sadly, cos I owe other people a lot of money. So...help? Please?

Old 2006-10-15, 22:02
deanguitars
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRON90
Hey, I've got a question about stock pickups.

I'm thinking about buying a new guitar, probably an Ibanez RG 1527 or an SZ520FM. They both have got stock pickups, and there lies my question; are these pickups pure shit or are they actually playable? I won't have any cash to replace the pickups, sadly, cos I owe other people a lot of money. So...help? Please?

the v8 is an alright pickup it can the basic sounds you would want but if ur not happy just wait till u get enough money to spend on decent pickups.
ive never played any of the sz guitars so icant help u with that one.

Old 2006-10-29, 21:19
IRON90
Supreme Metalhead

Hey does anybody know the price for a Dimarzio Tone Zone and P.A.F Pro?

Old 2006-10-30, 13:56
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

the last time i was thinking about ordering a PAF Pro from Sam Ash they told me it would cost 60.00 USD. I'm guessing the tone zone should be around that much too, if not maybe a few dollars more.

Old 2006-10-30, 19:08
IRON90
Supreme Metalhead

Thanks but does somebody know the prize in '' the real world''. Cos I've heard that sam ash is very cheap (I've seen the prizes). And also, what would an X2N cost?

Old 2006-10-30, 19:14
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

Well...once again I ordered the X2N from Sam Ash and it cost me 75.00 USD. If you wanna know the prices for certain pickups in the "real world" i suggest checking out ebay and see what it sells for used. Im not sure but maybe the dimarzio site has the prices

EDIT: Dimarzio pickup prices DAMN!!! I didnt realize how much my X2N goes for list. $109.00 shit! I guess im lucky i live near a Sam Ash and got it for only $75.00

Last edited by ThornsOfHeaven200 : 2006-10-30 at 19:16.

Old 2006-10-30, 20:50
IRON90
Supreme Metalhead

Yeah but I still think that 109 dollars isn't that much compared to the prises I've seen. I calculated it and it said 800 swedish kronor. The pickups I've checked out cost about 1200 swedish kronor, I guess that is about....164 dollars. Pretty amazing isn't it?

Old 2006-10-30, 20:58
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

Damn that sucks. Try buying off of ebay or something. You could probably find it for much cheaper. Or order from samash.com, their prices are lower than list prices.

Old 2006-10-30, 21:14
IRON90
Supreme Metalhead

Actually, I don't know what the Dimarzio pickups cost here. I was talking about some SD pickups. I going to the music store tomorrow, so I'll probably order som pickups then.

Old 2006-11-27, 03:29
mctriple
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThornsOfHeaven200
EDIT: Dimarzio pickup prices DAMN!!! I didnt realize how much my X2N goes for list. $109.00 shit! I guess im lucky i live near a Sam Ash and got it for only $75.00

That's the normal price that they go for pretty much everywhere. The "list" price is always a marketing scheme where they make you think you're getting a great deal, when you're actually buying it at the normal price :P Musiciansfriend has it even cheaper.
Line6 PODxt

Old 2006-11-27, 03:32
mctriple
Senior Metalhead

Has anybody used a dimarzio Tone Zone at the neck of their guitar? I've using the TZ + Air Norton right now, but I've been tempted to put an X2N at the bridge and move my TZ up to the neck spot and ditch the Air Norton. The AN is a good pickup, but after a few years I've grown a bit tired of it. I know Michael Romeo has been using the X2N+TZ combo for a while, and I play Symphony X stuff a lot.. but I'm not using Caparison guitars, just an RG570.

I'm probably going to just get an X2N and try it. I've seen a video of the X2N + TZ combo on youtube, but the sound quality was terrible, so it's hard to tell. I know my setup won't sound exactly like MJR (although my PODxt is just like his Vetta), so I'm hoping to get another example or two of those pickups working together.
Line6 PODxt