MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone

Old 2007-02-11, 23:01
diamond_dave
New Blood

!!!!!!!

Well I have a budget of around 1000 dollars and Im trying to get the best guitar I can. I play lots of metal, so Jackson's and ESP's are in. I was thinking of the Alexi 600 ESP LTD, can some one tell me all the pros and cons about this guitar and what other guitar would be a good alternate choice.

Old 2007-02-11, 23:02
diamond_dave
New Blood

Well I have a budget of around 1000 dollars and Im trying to get the best guitar I can. I play lots of metal, so Jackson's and ESP's are in. I was thinking of the Alexi 600 ESP LTD, can some one tell me all the pros and cons about this guitar and what other guitar would be a good alternate choice.

Old 2007-02-12, 01:08
JOAMdude
Post-whore

what type of metal

Old 2007-02-12, 01:21
diamond_dave
New Blood

Ozzy Osbourne,Judas Priest and Maiden that kid of stuff and also thrashier stuff like Megadeth, Pantera, and Metallica.

Old 2007-02-12, 02:53
deanguitars
Senior Metalhead

pros: comfortable, alder body, ofr. 24 frets un finished fast neck
cons: emg hz pickup(shitty)no neck pickup. if you're not use to holding the guitar in the classcal position while sitting down it will be awkward for you. if you dont know how to tune a ofr properly it will be a pain in the ass

Old 2007-02-12, 03:14
the_bleeding
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond_dave

Pros: Original Floyd rose. Alder body. Neck thru. gover tuners.
Cons: Made in Asia, yet still $1000+ (some gibson USA models (explorer and v) are only 8-900), one shitty pickup, one volume control.
This thing has the versatility of a plastic bag with "prada" written on it.
I highly recommend getting something with 2 pickups, unless you already have something appropriate as a backup incase you ever need neck pickup shredding.
If you want to stick inside ESP and Jackson, I reccomend the Warrior MG, and the Randy Rhoads Pro (rr3, or rr5). You'll save yourself some money and have a kickass guitar.
I dont like esp's stuff because it all feels like crap to me, so i dont have any recommendations there.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2007-02-12, 03:26
diamond_dave
New Blood

Alright thanks for the input guys. I will comsider the tips you gave me. Pretty soon im going to go to guitar center to try out the Alexi-600 along with other Jacksons, and ESP's. A final question how good are the Dean Razorbacks, they look killer but some one told me they aren't to great.

Old 2007-02-12, 03:50
the_bleeding
Post-whore

Quote:
Alright thanks for the input guys. I will comsider the tips you gave me. Pretty soon im going to go to guitar center to try out the Alexi-600 along with other Jacksons, and ESP's. A final question how good are the Dean Razorbacks, they look killer but some one told me they aren't to great.

the thing with those puppies is that the pointy tips are prone to breaking off, or having the paint chipped. Also, you have to lay down alot of dough to get a decently made Razorback, because they're built more for looks than quality. Also, they have a V neck profile which is alot different than regular guitars. Try out a number of different deans, find out if you like them.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2007-02-19, 14:58
sanctionedmurder
New Blood

I have an LTD EC-1000 right now, but I am selling it for cash to get a guitar with a tremolo bridge.

SO

I've been looking at the LTD M-1000, but I'm wondering if the neck is slimmer and flatter like a lot of the Ibanez guitars I've played. I like the Ibanez necks much better than the neck on my EC-1000. I'd get an Ibanez, but I'm having trouble finding one with a floyd rose and emg's. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Also, budget is around 1000.

Old 2007-02-19, 17:16
JOAMdude
Post-whore

how about a jackson soloist?

Old 2007-02-23, 03:47
diamond_dave
New Blood

Fender

Does anyone think or know if a Fender American Strat with a Dimarzio Super Distrotion in the bridge would be good for rock and metal?

Old 2007-02-23, 13:45
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

It would be fine for rock and metal. Generally speaking, any guitar could be used for pretty much any type of music.

Old 2007-02-26, 00:29
HAMMERSMASHEDFACE
Senior Metalhead

I am looking for a low priced guitar I play Death/Black METAL so if you guys could suggest anything tell me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity
He's calling you a faggot piece of shit because you are young and unintelligent, and most of all, you are a boring, stereotyopical, close minded metal head. Please don't pretend to understand anything PST says. Please leave the forum now.

Old 2007-03-03, 04:05
diamond_dave
New Blood

DEAN

I was looking at some Dean's and i saw the ML 79 F and it looked great. But i didn't like the fact that it had a licensed floyd rose. I am planning on getting one and swap the licensed with an OFL and also install a Super Distortion in the Bridge and Humbucker from hell in the neck. Does anyone know how much it costs to replace a floating bridge and how long it would take. Also how long does it take to install pickups?

Old 2007-03-03, 20:48
Dyvim Tvar
Supreme Metalhead

Pup's are very quick to install, but unless you know what yer doing get a tech to do it for you, that way if he pisses up it's his fault and he'll fix it, if you piss up yer fucked.

Not sure on the bridge point but the most expensive part is the bridge itself, probably take an hour or two to install and setup. Just get a tech to do both, it'll take him a day or two at most.

Take her from behind, then pretend like you're gonna cum, retract and spit on her back.
Then when she turns around blow your load in her face

Old 2007-03-05, 14:09
Mordor
Post-whore

Quote:
I was looking at some Dean's and i saw the ML 79 F and it looked great. But i didn't like the fact that it had a licensed floyd rose. I am planning on getting one and swap the licensed with an OFL and also install a Super Distortion in the Bridge and Humbucker from hell in the neck. Does anyone know how much it costs to replace a floating bridge and how long it would take. Also how long does it take to install pickups?

the dean ml's are pretty cool, i'd suggest a bill lawrence l500xl pickup instead of the sd, sounds awesome in a mahogany guitar. Also not all licensed floyds are that bad, i dunno bout dean but my peavey floyd stays in tune a treat. Does snap the odd string easy though, but i reckon you could transplant the string saddles with an original floyd and it work

Sold my shit, now its time to PARTY!!!!!

Old 2007-03-05, 14:11
Mordor
Post-whore

Quote:
Does anyone think or know if a Fender American Strat with a Dimarzio Super Distrotion in the bridge would be good for rock and metal?

i cant see why not to be honest, maybe have a look at what iron maiden use pickup wise, because they mostly use strats

Old 2007-03-05, 20:47
diamond_dave
New Blood

alright thanx for the feedback guys. I think i might just get the the dean CFH. I like dime allot and its already equiped with a bill lawrence and i heard the floyd rose on that thing is alright. But i probably will end up switching the nech pickup.

Old 2007-03-20, 18:51
ZRO
Senior Metalhead

Old 2007-03-20, 19:13
JOAMdude
Post-whore

save up your money and get an ibanez. or you could buy a Kramer and put in some new pups. or you could save up even more for a Jackosn or Upscale BCR

Old 2007-03-20, 21:11
ZRO
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOAMdude
save up your money and get an ibanez. or you could buy a Kramer and put in some new pups. or you could save up even more for a Jackosn or Upscale BCR

Well im not looking for anything too expensive, im just begining, any idea on a good begining guitar?

Old 2007-03-24, 16:45
ZRO
Senior Metalhead

Well i think its going to be out of the ESP AX-50 or the EX-50, whhat do you guys think?

Old 2007-03-24, 17:24
JOAMdude
Post-whore

if it were me, i'd go for a kramer, cheap as dirt and still good
and try ebay for some ibanez'z

and keep on eye on the POST DEALS thread i made.
i posted some sick kramers there

Old 2007-03-24, 17:33
ZRO
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOAMdude
if it were me, i'd go for a kramer, cheap as dirt and still good
and try ebay for some ibanez'z

and keep on eye on the POST DEALS thread i made.
i posted some sick kramers there

You just love Kramer dont you, haha.

I will look into ebay and check your Kramers as well.

Old 2007-03-25, 03:57
JOAMdude
Post-whore

i just can't resist how cheap they are for an actual high quality LFR,
and they have thin necks. that says a lot for a cheap guitar
but yes i am a total groupie

Old 2007-03-26, 03:11
soliloquy
Senior Metalhead

just wondering whats the main difference between a 'set in' construction, VS a 'neckthru' construction?

i mean, i know that the neckthru constructions have a body made of 3 pieces, and with neckthu's reaching the higher frets is really easy. yet with setin's reaching the higher frets is supposedly 'impossible' and they break easily when comparing other things that could happen to a guitar...

why i ask? idk, i'm kinda debating as to if i should:

a) buy a guitar
b) make another frankenstien guitar

if i make my guitar, it would end up costing me about 800 dollars, but with a bolt on neck. with the same money i can get a neckthru CORT EVL k6(actually, says its a 'set in') or a CORT X-th. both corts are actually 700 canadian. yet, i'm kinda getting sick of color black, so if i make my guitar, it would look something like a Jackson pro series RR24 with Snow White, with Black Bevels, and 2 pickups....so yeah

Last edited by soliloquy : 2007-03-26 at 03:16.

Old 2007-04-26, 19:48
georgedoom
New Blood

Hello guys,i need some help pls i want to buy a guitar and i was thinking about LTD MH50,M100 or RG321,RGR321 can you tell me pls is good for death metal and if i need to change the pick-ups to maybe some Seymour Duncan or EMG!!! Thank you your replies are mmore than welcome to me!
P.S.Thank you very much Soerufor you advise man!!!

Last edited by georgedoom : 2007-04-26 at 20:37. Reason: correction

Old 2007-04-26, 21:24
Midwinter-Gates
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgedoom
Hello guys,i need some help pls i want to buy a guitar and i was thinking about LTD MH50,M100 or RG321,RGR321 can you tell me pls is good for death metal and if i need to change the pick-ups to maybe some Seymour Duncan or EMG!!! Thank you your replies are mmore than welcome to me!
P.S.Thank you very much Soerufor you advise man!!!

I use an Ibanez RG 320 myself with EMG 81/85 for death metal and I think my tone is decent. But mostly any guitar with humbuckers will do the job I suppose.
Hell, the old guitarist of Despised Icon, Yannick, even used a Fender stratocaster for their work. I´d say amplifiers play the bigger role in tone for death metal than say the guitar. But if your aiming for the cheaper series of guitar from ESP and Ibanez I´d probably recommend changing the pickups for some better.

But if you can, then try the guitar at the store before you buy it. And I´m not very experienced in this topic either, only played for 2 years. But I can definitely say my pickup change in my RG 320 did wonders for that guitar.

Also check out pickups from Di Marzio, i.e X2N are also pretty good for death metal. Think Chuck Schuldiner (Death) used Di Marzios. And theres some newer brands out there like APC who do pretty good pickups in the vein of EMG, but a little cheaper and passive instead of Active.

Old 2007-04-26, 21:39
georgedoom
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwinter-Gates
I use an Ibanez RG 320 myself with EMG 81/85 for death metal and I think my tone is decent. But mostly any guitar with humbuckers will do the job I suppose.
Hell, the old guitarist of Despised Icon, Yannick, even used a Fender stratocaster for their work. I´d say amplifiers play the bigger role in tone for death metal than say the guitar. But if your aiming for the cheaper series of guitar from ESP and Ibanez I´d probably recommend changing the pickups for some better.

But if you can, then try the guitar at the store before you buy it. And I´m not very experienced in this topic either, only played for 2 years. But I can definitely say my pickup change in my RG 320 did wonders for that guitar.

Also check out pickups from Di Marzio, i.e X2N are also pretty good for death metal. Think Chuck Schuldiner (Death) used Di Marzios. And theres some newer brands out there like APC who do pretty good pickups in the vein of EMG, but a little cheaper and passive instead of Active.

Yes like you said it's not very important the guitar but pick-ups and amp you use instead i think the Ibanez RG320,RGR321 it's decent guitar pick-ups choice for me gonna be the EMG or Seymour Duncan i know about Chuck Schuldiner(DEath) he used Di Marzio but the amp was in Symbolic was Marshall8080 so i think i'm gonna go for Ibby witch is more qualitative than the cheaper LTDM100 thank you man.

Old 2007-04-26, 22:28
Mordor
Post-whore

the amp chuck used was the marshall valvestate 8100 head, not a bad amp, sound best with a mahogany bodied guitar

Old 2007-04-26, 22:45
georgedoom
New Blood

The Marshall is good amp for everything look at the user list that use this amp .Great amp

Old 2007-04-27, 04:36
Jotun
New Blood

Im looking to Buy a new Guitar, and was looking for some opinions on what guitar I should get, now first off I play a wide range of music, Everything from classic rock to death metal, so I guess a good sounding guitar that will allow me to play some Zeppeling or Floyd but at the same time allow my to play Slayer and Nile. I know thats hard to find, but Ive narrowed my decision to two guitars, both are ESP guitars but im deciding between the ESP EC-500 and the ESP EC-1000, the price for the 500 is about $800 and the price of the 1000 is about $1100. Now their didnt really seem to be much of a difference between the two in the specs, but Im wondering if there's anyone who's gotten their hands on the guitars, how does it sound, and is it worth spending the extra $300 on the 1000?

Or maybe their is a better option someone has, Im not looking to spend much more than $1000, (which is why im not getting the ESP Eclipse II)

Any suggestions?

Old 2007-05-09, 16:30
Soeru
Post-whore

Anyone ever played the Dean Black Gold series guitars, particularly the V?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-DEAN-BLACK-...1QQcmdZViewItem

I don't really have much money to spend at the moment but I seriously wanna get a new kick-ass 6 string guitar. I may downgrade from my Engl set-up to a Peavey Ultra 112 tube combo to finance this if I don't nail a new job soon, that is something I'm considering. My beloved BC Rich Ironbird has so much fretwear now that it's not pleasing to play unless it's with really low guage strings in Eb or something, so I'm just keeping it as my beat-around guitar. My 80's Charvel neckthru is still kicking my ass though, especially with the dimarzio I put in it, but I want a new fixed bridge 6-string guitar with a non-strat body, as I find most non strat shapes far more comfortable to play relaxed on. The Dean seems like my ideal solution because:

It's a traditional V shape, with a flat neck profile and bound ebony fretboard.
Fixed bridge(my 3 guitars are trem guitars, with good trems but I want a fixed one)
Full binding, and it has a black quilt finish not cherry style like the 79's, I'm fucking sold!

Thing is I can't get myself to like the headstock as much as the rest of the guitar, but maybe I can block it out of my mind. Maybe if I gain a few pounds I can pass for Karl Sanders with this one. But I'm sure as fuck don't wanna settle with a cheap Epiphone or something, I don't like their finishes and feel at all.

Has anyone played these Black Gold deans? What can you tell me about them? At some local store they have a Schenker Dean V and I think some 79 ML's, but no Black Golds. I will be trying them soon enough to make sure the Dean V style and neck profile is right for me, although I'm assuming the BG series are a lot better playing-wise.

Also, can anyone suggest any similar guitars? I'm looking for "old fashioned" classy fixed bridge metal guitars, pointy but not fucking ridiculous, that means V's and Explorers, with a finish that isn't just black or natural(unless a quilt). I like the natural spalted finish on the new ESP's but I don't like their interpretation of the explorer. I'm really attracted to the Black Gold V's and Z's, I wish I could find similar fixed bridge guitars with awesome dark quilts without the cheesy headstocks though.

The old Jackson KVX10's that had fixed bridges(now discontinued) were nice, I've played a trans-blue one and it was cool but the amber burst finish one I haven't seen in person. Their new red quilt KVX10 looks amazing in pictures but the new ones have trems, and i don't want another one of those...

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2007-05-09, 18:38
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

I'm getting ready to buy this guitar (that i just came across) and i really want to know what the deal is with the those like P pickups. This jackson soloist has it in the neck position and im' curious or not what those kind of pickups sound like. (the only time i've heard them was in a shitty epiphone les paul junior as the bridge pickup...

Jackson sl2h
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.
About requiem. Aint it the truth...

Old 2007-05-13, 17:15
Arsis
Supreme Metalhead

Pretty much on abay is an ltd mh-250 Neckthru emg 81/5 floyd rose 24 frets quilted maple top blakc finish brand new for 500. now theres a carvin in a pawn shop i want badly with the jackson based headstock its neckthru and has a kahler bridge carvin h/s/s combonation carvin pups and it has those awesome individual pickup switches instead of blades like the early charvels
and it has mother of pearl gibson lp style block inlays and an ebony fretboard?
im gogin toward the carvin becouse im a jason becker fanboy lol
but with this be a bad choice for metal? i dont know the woods of the carvin but the ltd has agathis body

Old 2007-05-16, 16:51
Soeru
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsis
Pretty much on abay is an ltd mh-250 Neckthru emg 81/5 floyd rose 24 frets quilted maple top blakc finish brand new for 500. now theres a carvin in a pawn shop i want badly with the jackson based headstock its neckthru and has a kahler bridge carvin h/s/s combonation carvin pups and it has those awesome individual pickup switches instead of blades like the early charvels
and it has mother of pearl gibson lp style block inlays and an ebony fretboard?
im gogin toward the carvin becouse im a jason becker fanboy lol
but with this be a bad choice for metal? i dont know the woods of the carvin but the ltd has agathis body

I'd probably say Carvin by far! At least because I'm sure it's built from nicer woods... plus if it really looks like old Charvels, that's a win and a half. I have an 80's neckthru Charvel model 5 and love it to death.

Ask around at the harmony central forum, someone's bound to know what exact model that carvin is, if the seller doesn't know what model it is or if you don't know which one it is at their reviews section.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2007-05-16, 17:07
Arsis
Supreme Metalhead

Ya it would look like those charvels exept the model 5 has dot inlays this doesnt. adn thnx for the reply lol it tool forever Carvin it is

Old 2007-05-17, 16:08
Jopop
Senior Metalhead

Looking for a guitar that can be beat around a little and plays great.

24 frets
Not a wizard neck, but not a gibson either (in the middle somewhere as far as thickness goes)
Fixed bridge
Smooth neck heel
2x humbuckers
If possible; transparent or natural finish

That's about it. Price firm max of $400, preferably lower. I'm thinking along the lines of a used Dinky but with a fixed bridge.

Old 2007-05-19, 14:34
Soeru
Post-whore

One of those fixed bridge Kramer strikers, they have all those features, search for em on ebay or go to musicyo.com(they come in trans finishes), very cheap, around 150-240$.

But you should also look into the Ibanez RG321MH, it'll cost you the same new in a store as ordering the Kramers from America.

There aren't a great deal of good Dinkys in that price range, just the JS30's which are not very great. The Jackson DXMG sells for 400€ I think, but that's not a fixed bridge guitar, still a very good one though, definitely one of the best in that price range, I loved the resonance of that guitar, huge chunk, attack and bite, and the neck was absolutely spectacular, the pickups(EMGHZ's) are workable but not stellar, when I had one it had an OFR so I don't know how good the licensed bridge is.

Old 2007-05-19, 15:42
estringrev
Supreme Metalhead

I'm looking into buying a guitar with a fixed bridge, and I have had my eye on the neck through mockingbird for a while.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...itar?sku=512720

Just want to know is it worth the money?

My current guitar is a Jackson Warrior wrxt, which is playing surprisingly well after a few hours of maintenance. In fact after working on my wrxt, I want to know does the mockingbird have a comfortable and fast neck comparable to jackson guitars. Otherwise I'll just save up for a high end jackson and put up with the floating bridge.

Old 2007-05-19, 16:50
Arsis
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeru
One of those fixed bridge Kramer strikers, they have all those features, search for em on ebay or go to musicyo.com(they come in trans finishes), very cheap, around 150-240$.

But you should also look into the Ibanez RG321MH, it'll cost you the same new in a store as ordering the Kramers from America.

There aren't a great deal of good Dinkys in that price range, just the JS30's which are not very great. The Jackson DXMG sells for 400€ I think, but that's not a fixed bridge guitar, still a very good one though, definitely one of the best in that price range, I loved the resonance of that guitar, huge chunk, attack and bite, and the neck was absolutely spectacular, the pickups(EMGHZ's) are workable but not stellar, when I had one it had an OFR so I don't know how good the licensed bridge is.

i tried out the dxmg at a store and hated it to hell. neck was the thickest ive ever played. the emg hzs did not sound too well. but the floyd wasnt bad

Old 2007-05-19, 17:55
Soeru
Post-whore

Well it's not ibanez thin but it is most certainly not thick, just wide because of the compound radius, not narrow like other necks.

Old 2007-05-20, 03:06
Auyard
Senior Metalhead

anyone play the new Esp Ltd V-500s? none of the music stores around me have em and don't know when they will get them in, but i'd like to see what you guys thought if anyone has played it

Old 2007-05-20, 03:07
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

You thought the DXMG was thick? Let me introduce you to the LP Custom, son.

Old 2007-05-20, 05:36
Arsis
Supreme Metalhead

yes ive played many lps but THIS dxmg was way thick. im a jackson man its my favorite brand, so i wouldnt just be saying it to diss on jackson. maybe they make it different each year, couse iw as reading reviews and it said one year they sold it with teh emg 81/85s but maybe im dumb

and jopop

i got a dk2 dinky jackson very good condition and wiht a fixed bridge it has the crimson swirl graphic, looking to sell.
along with my charvel and ibanez 450 dx that i postedin the post your gear thread ask for details if interested

Last edited by Arsis : 2007-05-20 at 05:48.

Old 2007-05-22, 11:58
Musician1978
Senior Metalhead

I didn't need help buying a new guitar.... I was just curious as to the neck on it. There is no doubt I am buying it. Hence the fact that I didn't post my PRS question here. HEIL!!

Old 2007-05-26, 12:39
Hubtraacks
New Blood

Thinking about buying a schecter c1+.
What are the necks like, compared to a jackson and compared to an esp(ltd)? are they thinner or thicker or what?
Knowing about that is pretty much the only thing putting me off buying one, they look like fucking awesome guitars.

Old 2007-05-26, 22:44
the_bleeding
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubtraacks
Thinking about buying a schecter c1+.
What are the necks like, compared to a jackson and compared to an esp(ltd)? are they thinner or thicker or what?
Knowing about that is pretty much the only thing putting me off buying one, they look like fucking awesome guitars.

from my experience....

chunky enough for rhythm (thick necks = heavy tone)
not as round as a jackson RR (i find their necks way too fat and round... me no likey!)
Compared to esp's... well every one of their guitars have a different size neck. Thicker than an MH (mh's have fuckin thin necks), slightly thicker than an EX....

anyways, stop being a whiner about the neck and go play one. I used to be like "ooh thin necks are sex" with my ibanez, and then i picked up an eastwood (round like gibson) and never EVER went back, i can play MUCH faster on my eastwood than my bc rich (sanded tiny neck) or ibanez (wizard II). Just go try one out, you'll be pleasently suprised.
Oh, and schecter's constructino is AMAZING! the gutiar will last forever, and feel amazing in your hands, love it.

Old 2007-05-29, 04:30
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

There's a 7 string Ibanez RG (model # wasn't specified, I just sent them an email with a few questions in it, that being among them) being sold by somebody near me on craigslist for $500. Here is their description of it:
Quote:
This 7-string guitar is in great condition and is an excellent guitar to own. It has a few nicks and scratches on the body and the volume knob sticks a little (easily fixable) but is in excellent working order. It also has a tune-locking feature with adjusting knobs on the bridge so it almost never goes out of tune! Pick-up only unless we can meet up somewhere reasonable, I'm in the Glassboro/Mullica Hill and Philadelphia areas a lot. Asking $500 or best offer.

If it's an RG model that I'm interested in, I'll most likely be going to check it out in person on Friday. What should I look for in the guitar? Signs of wear and tear, damage, basically ANYTHING I should check to make sure I'm not getting raped on this deal. Since he's selling for $500 I'm assuming it's probably either an RG1527 or an RG742 or RG7421.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death By Monkeys
That's insulting. They can make sandwiches and iron clothes. You should be ashamed.

Old 2007-06-02, 04:26
inflameswetrust1313
New Blood

is the steve vai ibanez with the monkey grip any good? not the seven string, just the regular white one

Old 2007-06-09, 01:57
shane472
New Blood

If you had to choose between these two guitars to play a wide range of music from death metal to metalcore, hardcore, mathcore, southern metal etc. which would you choose?

Esp LTD H-101
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...aple?sku=512889

ESP LTD Viper 100 FM
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...itar?sku=516634

I'm on a fairly tight budget and both those guitars will run me about $300 Canadian around here. I'm a fan of ESP guitars and I've seen lots of the bands I listen to using them plus they're available in my area.

My other option is a used Hamer archtop that comes with a hard case and leather strap for $500. I haven't gone to see it yet but the guy selling it says it's in mint condition and he's only had it for a couple months.

Hamer Archtop
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...itar?sku=516269

What do you guys think?

Old 2007-06-09, 02:55
Requiem
Post-whore

I have only heard good things about the ESP Viper. Plus the look is very metal. I would advise you to get it but others may not. Hell, I don't even play guitar but all of my friends do so I hear what is good and not.

Old 2007-06-12, 16:14
shane472
New Blood

Thanks! Anyone else?

Old 2007-07-05, 11:21
FearFrost
The Mountie From Hell

I have a question:

Im looking for a luthier to make me an ibanez RG body, however i want an OFR route. Don't ask why, just link me to some peeps!

Old 2007-07-05, 20:48
Casketcrusher
Post-whore

I saw a really awsome Ibanez on ebay I might get. It's a really odd shape and the tremelo looks really odd. I looks kinda like a Kahler but not really.

http://www.ibanezregister.com/image.../dt350-1984.jpg

looks like that eccept fire red. I dunno if it's worth getting. It's pretty dinged up and missing one screw on locking nut (which shouldn't be hard to find), and has two mismatched fine tuners on the bridge. No case.

What do you guys think?

Truer words were never spoken.

Last edited by Casketcrusher : 2007-07-05 at 20:57.

Old 2007-07-05, 20:51
Child of Decadence
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane472
If you had to choose between these two guitars to play a wide range of music from death metal to metalcore, hardcore, mathcore, southern metal etc. which would you choose?

Esp LTD H-101
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...aple?sku=512889

ESP LTD Viper 100 FM
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...itar?sku=516634

I'm on a fairly tight budget and both those guitars will run me about $300 Canadian around here. I'm a fan of ESP guitars and I've seen lots of the bands I listen to using them plus they're available in my area.

My other option is a used Hamer archtop that comes with a hard case and leather strap for $500. I haven't gone to see it yet but the guy selling it says it's in mint condition and he's only had it for a couple months.

Hamer Archtop
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...itar?sku=516269

What do you guys think?

Agathis = Shit.

Out of those... the Hamer but I don't like that one either.

Old 2007-07-20, 16:39
Auyard
Senior Metalhead

Has anyone played a Gibson Faded V? i was wondering what the necks were like. are they like the studios with the rounded neck or a flatter neck like an Ibanez Rg? i switched from a les paul to an rg and now i can't play anything on a rounded neck like the paul so i was wondering how the V necks compare to the paul or the rg

Old 2007-11-04, 00:14
jackson_metal_head
Senior Metalhead

yo,

looking to buy a new guitar fairly soon, thing is i want a fixed bridge, just dont use my floyd on my jackson enough to justify having it.

as for budget about £500 so i guess the best thing i could get would be some sort of 90s guitar off ebay, thing is i fucking want an RG because i love the wized necks but literally all of the japanese ones have a trem, anyone know of a specific model japanese RG which is fixed? or a similar playing guitar to an RG?

any advice is appreciated

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by philkilla
Play some Defeated Sanity and brutalize the vagina.

summer is 'ere an' it's fuckin' fuckin' buzzin

Old 2007-11-04, 00:29
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

Ibanez RGT42FXQM is fixed bridge and has a nice 5-piece wizard II neck, and it's only $700 USD new (a little less than 500 EUR).

Old 2007-11-04, 12:07
jackson_metal_head
Senior Metalhead

awesome, yeah i checked it out and it looks pretty sweet, 1 thing though, is it japanese made? i cant find it on the ibanez website, unless its a few years old?

Quote:

Old 2007-11-04, 16:56
jackson_metal_head
Senior Metalhead

just had another look and i have decided i way prefer the ibanez RGT42FX
i prefer solid colours, but does anyone know if this guitar is japanese made?

Quote:

Old 2007-12-20, 14:46
faf_476
New Blood

Help me about B. c. rich guitars, what should I buy?
Is it the warlock design or the beast?

Old 2008-01-16, 17:02
BOB_ZE_METALLEU
the siamese

do you guys can give me any advice if i wanna buy a guitar with a good touch and doesnt look gay for an a loud alternative rock band.....no not nu-metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassbehemoth
Sick. It's an overly sugared and overly carbonated vagina drink.

Old 2008-01-21, 14:11
The Doctor
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

Guys, help me out here.

I walked passed a second-hand store today (closed) and they had a cool looking Charvel Charvette US-made in the window. Looks precisely like this one:

http://www.chrisguitars.com/charvette-hs-bk.jpg

I bet this thing is gone tomorrow, and im eager of getting it. Thing is, I know jack about charvels and especially charvettes.
I dont know what they charge for it, cause it was closed of course, but something in the direction of 200 would be reasonable right?

Old 2008-01-21, 15:15
Auyard
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
Guys, help me out here.

I walked passed a second-hand store today (closed) and they had a cool looking Charvel Charvette US-made in the window. Looks precisely like this one:

http://www.chrisguitars.com/charvette-hs-bk.jpg

I bet this thing is gone tomorrow, and im eager of getting it. Thing is, I know jack about charvels and especially charvettes.
I dont know what they charge for it, cause it was closed of course, but something in the direction of 200 would be reasonable right?

It looks like a good deal. Definatly see if you can play it and if you like it why not for $175. You did see that someone removed the locking nuts though right, thats the only bad thing i can see.

Old 2008-01-21, 18:43
The Doctor
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

its not THAT guitar, it just looks exactly like it. Anyway, im gonna check it out and see what they charge. Its a pawn shop so the owner prob. knows shit about guitars, i might get a nice bargain

Old 2008-01-21, 18:45
Auyard
Senior Metalhead

Oh, in that case Hell yea then. Friend of mine bought a high-end Pearl drum kit for like $300 bucks cause the owner didn't know what he had.

Old 2008-01-25, 07:35
amateur_hour
New Blood

hi i have recently bought an ibanez rg3ex1. i have played alternative for a couple of years but am now getting into faster more aggressive grind/death. is this a good guitar to start off with for this type of music? my previous guitar was a fender strat. i still have a few days if i want to return it so that's why i'm asking. thanks

Old 2008-01-26, 08:03
BOB_ZE_METALLEU
the siamese

you cant go wrong with this Ibanez, pretty good looking and nice touch.

Charvette, isn't it a copy of charvel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassbehemoth
Sick. It's an overly sugared and overly carbonated vagina drink.

Old 2008-04-01, 10:07
brainsforbreakfast
El Diablo sin pantalones

I'm in the market for a new guitar..
I've been looking at Epiphone Gothic guitars, I'm a bit carefull about Epi's, but I like the look of them, and they have the specs I'm kinda looking for.
I'm also thinking PRS, but it's hard to find one over here, they're fuckass expensive and can't find a tremolo-less one.

Annyhow, I'm looking for a guitar between 600-800 euros, that's about 900-1200 USD.

The specs I'm looking for:

String-thru bridge. Stoptail is also okay, but I definitly don't want a tremolo.

Mahagony body, or mahagony with a maple top (like a PRS)

Neckwood? I'm not sure, I don't realy know the difference.
(seriously, what is the difference? I don't know.. )

Neck-thru if possible.

Number of frets is unimportant. (22 or 24)

Pickups, just your regular H-H, what is in it stock is unimportant, if they suck I'm putting in some SD's.
Actualy, just a single bridge H is prefferable.

Controlls/buttons? As few as possible. I'm content with just a volume control and a pickup toggle.
I don't like so many controls, they tone suck a little bit, get in the way of stuff, are anoying to rout etc.

Looks.. hmm, I like edgy looking ones without going eXtReMe.
I like those flaming maple tops on Pr's.
Something with a matte black/satin black finish should be alright, but I'd love to see a matte navy grey/blue guitar.

It might seems like I don't have a lot of preferences, but does anyone know how difficult it is to get a decent/high-end guitar that doesn't come with a tremolo and millions of buttons?
Originally Posted by Requiem
Why would you sig that?
Why not? Why would you sig me saying that I hate you? I was serious there, too.

I'm in despair! The internet has left me in despair!

Old 2008-04-01, 10:56
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

That shouldn't be too hard to find, but finding guitars with only a bridge humbucker is unusual unless it's particularly metal like the Jackson RR24 or perhaps some Charvels.

If you're going fo rthe PRS style, how about Agile? They do quite few styles and I've heard they are good for the money.

Something like this? http://www.rondomusic.com/product855.html

or http://www.rondomusic.com/product1230.html

or http://www.rondomusic.com/ps900amberq.html

or http://www.rondomusic.com/septor6blueflm.html

Just look at that Rondo music site, and then maybe see if somewhere European (Thomann) sells the model you want to reduce shipping.

Last edited by Deathmaster213 : 2008-04-01 at 11:08.

Old 2008-04-01, 11:04
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB_ZE_METALLEU
Charvette, isn't it a copy of charvel?

I think it's Charvette BY Charvel, a sort of budget version.

Old 2008-04-05, 11:51
brainsforbreakfast
El Diablo sin pantalones

I think I found the guitar I'm looking for..

a white Ibanez Iceman

It has the specs I'm looking for, has a nice price tag, and looks absolutley beutifull.

However, I'm still wondering..are those Dimarzio Detonater pickups any good, or any good in a mahagony body guitar?

Is a 5 piece neck-through a bad or a good thing?

I still have to try it out before I'm sold, though. Unluckily, they don't sell any Iceman's in Holland. Luckily, there are loads of guitars at music-produktiv in Germany i'm intrested in, so me and a couple of mates are going for a trip real soon
Why would you sig that?

Old 2008-04-07, 11:11
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

5 piece neck-through is generally a good thing, yes.

Old 2008-04-07, 14:53
Me himself
Supreme Metalhead

Basically, the lesser the amount of pieces it is comprised of, the more sustain you will get because the sound deteriorates the more it has to transfer from one piece to another. 5 piece neck through is damn good but there are also 3 piece and (if you've REALLY got the moolah) 1 piece bodies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB_ZE_METALLEU
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannibalXampire
Everyone is wrong.

Old 2008-04-07, 17:53
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me himself
Basically, the lesser the amount of pieces it is comprised of, the more sustain you will get because the sound deteriorates the more it has to transfer from one piece to another. 5 piece neck through is damn good but there are also 3 piece and (if you've REALLY got the moolah) 1 piece bodies.

Ibanez use 5 piece necks for strength, 2 of the 5 strips will be a very hard wood. Well glued, good quality wood won't give you a noticable loss of sustain. Cheaper attempts (as with anything) might though.

Old 2008-04-11, 10:08
brainsforbreakfast
El Diablo sin pantalones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmaster213
Ibanez use 5 piece necks for strength, 2 of the 5 strips will be a very hard wood. Well glued, good quality wood won't give you a noticable loss of sustain. Cheaper attempts (as with anything) might though.

Thanks for clarifying. I kinda thought it would be like that, but hadn't realy a clue what to make of it.

If it plays as good as it looks, I might be a very proud Iceman owner soon
Why would you sig that?

Old 2008-04-27, 19:37
popol
New Blood

Hi. I'm looking for a guitar with great playabiliy and that is comfortable to use. I'm not a lead player so I don't want a tremolo bridge. From my personal experience, I think they just feel odd for palm muting, and I've read they're a bitch to set up and makes the guitar heavier and kill sustain.

I basically only play in my bedroom and ocasionally jam with some people, so, I'm not really looking with a guitar that has the best sound ever at the expense of changing the stock pickups. But I want something that can sound decent for most types of metal.

I feel like V shaped guitars are more comfortable to play with while sitting down. But strat shaped guitars are more comfortable while standing up.

Has anyone here played and ESP V, a Dean VMNT or a Gibson flying V and give me their impressions? I've not played many guitars in my life, and it's kinda hard to me to figure out if a guitar is overpriced or not. I'm willing to pay up to $1500. Actually, I don't care that much about the amount of money I pay, I just don't want to pay too much for a guitar if it's worth less.

Oh, and I also don't want a bold-on neck, nor any signature guitar (except for the Dean VMNT).

Is is true that it's a bad idea to get a guitar with a tremolo if I ain't going to use one? The Ibanez xyphos looks like it'sa pretty sweet guitar, but I'd much having a fixed bridge.

Old 2008-04-28, 05:30
AtRoCiTy
New Blood

Looking to pickup a second gweeter. Narrowed my list to: Jackson Warrior.(Already have a Jackson so this ones not a big deal.) Ibanez Xiphos or Ibanez RG. Looking to keep it between 500-700 USD. Any thoughts? I'm leaning more towards the Ibanez' because I already have a Jackson and have heard alot of good things bout the both of those Ibanez. They seem to be a little more shred happy according to most.

Old 2008-07-22, 20:45
Nightwind
New Blood

Hey everyone,

I'm a beginner guitarist, and after having played a Fender Squier for a while, I've started looking for a new guitar. I mostly aim to become a rhythm guitarist, but I intend to play allsorts of riffs. As for musical styles, I intend to play black metal (meaning I will mostly tremolo pick).

I'm not yet sure how much money I can invest, but I would imagine it's better not to spend too much, considering I'm still a beginner after all.

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for replies and recommendations.

Old 2008-07-22, 20:57
7-string warlord
Post-whore

Get a js30 series Jackson...they are mega cheap and you can put Seymour Duncan's in it later too upgrade it.

Old 2008-07-22, 21:29
Nightwind
New Blood

JS30KE seems like one I might like. It really is cheap, almost as cheap as my Squier; I was ready to pay a lot more than that, but I trust it's a good guitar.

Any other guitars I should consider?

Old 2008-07-22, 21:53
7-string warlord
Post-whore

well, if you want to pay more try for an x series, although I've heard these are bad....the one I played I liked quite a bit.

you could always go for a pro series if you have the money...my main guitar is a pro RR3, and it is amazing for the price!

Old 2008-07-22, 22:32
Nightwind
New Blood

Thanks, I appreaciate your help. I'll most likely buy either JS30KE or pro series KE-3, depending on whether I have the money (or the need, for that matter) for the more expensive one.

Old 2008-07-22, 22:36
7-string warlord
Post-whore

Cool, a lot of people might warn you about the liscensed trem on the pro series, but I will tell you from experience with that exact trem, it works just fine. People start to stereotype all liscensed floyds as the bad ones. The Jackson low-profile ones hold up very well.

Old 2008-08-19, 00:15
Zombietime
Senior Metalhead

Ok i'm about to buy a new seven string. A loomis-7 which is a Schecter Loomis sig series but string through with no floyd. I already have a Hamer chapparal 6 string with a floyd. Anyway, is there any objections to this 7 string or any other guitars in this price range I should check out? My limit is 1200 bucks. I don't care for Carvins as I used to own one and did not like it at all.

Old 2008-08-19, 10:39
Auyard
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombietime
Ok i'm about to buy a new seven string. A loomis-7 which is a Schecter Loomis sig series but string through with no floyd. I already have a Hamer chapparal 6 string with a floyd. Anyway, is there any objections to this 7 string or any other guitars in this price range I should check out? My limit is 1200 bucks. I don't care for Carvins as I used to own one and did not like it at all.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Loomis...Only thing though is Schecter have a lot chunkier necks than say like an Ibanez so I would definatley try to play one first. Dude Maple fretboards:

Old 2008-08-19, 21:45
Zombietime
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auyard
I've heard a lot of good things about the Loomis...Only thing though is Schecter have a lot chunkier necks than say like an Ibanez so I would definatley try to play one first. Dude Maple fretboards:

Yah I heard they were thick but I have big hands with long gangly fingers so it might work out. My Hamer neck is kinda thin and I don't really care for it. I'm trying to find another 7 sting I like more but I keep going back to the loomis even though I don't care much for the satin finish. The maple neck is a definite selling point though. Very nice.

Old 2008-08-20, 21:36
Auyard
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombietime
Yah I heard they were thick but I have big hands with long gangly fingers so it might work out. My Hamer neck is kinda thin and I don't really care for it. I'm trying to find another 7 sting I like more but I keep going back to the loomis even though I don't care much for the satin finish. The maple neck is a definite selling point though. Very nice.

Check out Agile guitars then. They have a few 7s with maple necks, except they are only available in limited runs. Rondomusic.com I've ONLY heard good things about them, but I have no idea how the neck feels...and no satin finish.

Old 2008-08-20, 21:49
Zombietime
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auyard
Check out Agile guitars then. They have a few 7s with maple necks, except they are only available in limited runs. Rondomusic.com I've ONLY heard good things about them, but I have no idea how the neck feels...and no satin finish.

Nah dude, i'm cheap but i'm not that cheap.

Old 2008-09-07, 16:06
DEVASTATOR23
New Blood

what do you think about this guitar?

http://www.bcrich.com/warlock_calibre.html

To get the one called lord

Old 2008-09-07, 16:28
the_bleeding
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVASTATOR23
what do you think about this guitar?

http://www.bcrich.com/warlock_calibre.html

the calibres are NICE. Bc rich is known for their low quality, but they've seriously stepped up their game in the last few years. The calibres, exotic classics, and specials are all fucking sweet guitars. I actually have a mockingbird special and it PWNS. Go play one though, make sure the body fits you.

Old 2008-09-07, 16:57
DEVASTATOR23
New Blood

But what about nato body? Is there real difference in sound, sustain...etc. between mahogany and nato? And what do you think, is there a marketing hoax related to calibre warlock neck? It is not specified is it quarter sawn, flat sawn, 3 piece, 5 piece...action rod...
I am buying guitar once in 10 years, so...

Old 2008-09-08, 09:45
DEVASTATOR23
New Blood

...to much questions...
...anyone played one...

Old 2008-11-02, 13:01
WhippedLash
New Blood

Hey. Im a total noob. I need help from more experienced players to buy my first guitar. I want to make 80s thrash and/or later death metal. I dont want a guitar that looks overdone, like the Warlock and ect, but also not underdone, like the classic ones. KxK Warrior V gives me a huge boner, but im too poor to pay $2k lol
http://www.auctionlistingcreator.co...mages/vdelx.jpg
This one looks pretty ffing sweet. Usual BC Rich headstock's look overdone aswell but this is awesome. Only thing that buggs me is that the headstock should be pointing downwards not upwards.. But I shouldn't be so picky, i guess.
Around $500-600.
Thank you to everyone who help
..others, I hope you burn in hell
xD
jk jk

Old 2008-11-02, 14:21
WhippedLash
New Blood

Bloody hell! Iv been lookin for weeks, now found the perfect one. Jackson Flying V.

http://www.8thstreet.com/images/jackson-js30kv-blk.jpg

Is it a good one for the style im interested in?

Old 2008-11-13, 18:24
Nightwind
New Blood

Here's a review of King V (and comparison to ESP MII), I suggest you watch it before buying:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPsRUub2t-A

Old 2008-12-18, 12:39
RainbowGenocide
New Blood

Hey, about a year ago i bought http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jackson...242-i1147610.gc somehow i got it half off but i had problems working with it action was extremely high, tuning was horrible, with no experience with floyd roses i thought it was me and did some research on how to fix up guitars with tremolos eventually... it got to be too much work for me and i went back to playing my Rg120. But a year has passed and i really want to get back on the horse. So i have about $450 to spend and i'm looking for a guitar with a tremolo in it any suggestions? I also have an emg 81-85 set to put into whatever i get so, body, bridge, and neck are priority, i hear ibanez edge 3 bridges are nice but i am willing to buy the tremolo bridge seperate if it's worth it. keep in mind i can only go through guitar center due to gift card reasons. I'm looking for something to get my feet wet, something that i won't rack my brain trying to tune and set the action on. Also does anybody has a good website for tremolo bridges? things covering, Truss rod adjustments, Tuning, and setting the action up on a tremolo bridge. I know i may be asking for alot for the little i have to spend but i figured my best chance would be here. Anyways Thankyou in advance.