MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Metal > Bands

Old 2005-10-10, 21:24
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

There's a lot that can be said for stating the obvious.

Who let this guy in?

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn

Old 2005-10-11, 16:15
Party Time 2000
Senior Metalhead

The word "redundant" comes to mind...

but we don't use the
fish to feed the pussy.

http://www.myspace.com/lordpartytime2000

Old 2005-10-11, 21:07
BlackRoseImmortal
Senior Metalhead

lol I laugh at the mentioning of Loomis and the Opeth guys. Who gives a shit if they don't play constant technical scales, the riffs they write are in my opinion unmatched, and the phrasing of their solos is the freshest and best in modern day music. It is usually thrash fanboys that dislike the kind of music these guitarists write, but to me (and I like thrash as much as the next guy) I think pretty much every guitarist in thrash metal is weak in comparison to these (except Friedman but he wasn't a typical thrash soloist, nor does he play it anymore).

Old 2005-10-11, 21:16
Transient
HES BAAACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRoseImmortal
lol I laugh at the mentioning of Loomis and the Opeth guys. Who gives a shit if they don't play constant technical scales, the riffs they write are in my opinion unmatched, and the phrasing of their solos is the freshest and best in modern day music. It is usually thrash fanboys that dislike the kind of music these guitarists write, but to me (and I like thrash as much as the next guy) I think pretty much every guitarist in thrash metal is weak in comparison to these (except Friedman but he wasn't a typical thrash soloist, nor does he play it anymore).

ba dumdudmudmuddm

well said!

Old 2005-10-14, 03:22
PST 88
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

Whoever followed Chris's sarcastic comment with a mention of John Petrucci should go get fucked. Not in the good way. In the prison way. The all-male, conjugal visitless prison way.

I love Chuck and arguing with Transient as much as anybody, but it's not exactly a big deal to say he repeated a lot of ideas. There's nothing to be gained from an argument about that except more posts, and that's what the RTT's for.

As far as the subject at hand:
Kerry's obvious
Dime sounded like he was spinning wheels on Damageplan and certain parts of Reinventing
Zakk Wylde. Any discussion of 'repeating ideas' without mention of Zakk Wylde is so far from complete as to be laughable
Karl Sanders does seem to be getting into a rut, but I wouldn't say anything bad about him just yet
Petrucci has no songwriting skills to speak of. The ultimate bedroom guitarist given a break. No wonder so many other bedroom guitarists look up to him
Mustaine hasn't had much to say when soloing in a long while, though I did like him as late as Countdown as a break from Friedman's increasingly overbearing and ubiquitous style
Hammett. Also not a songwriter
Pat O'Brien's songwriting tends to leave me cold, though his songs are often handy for practicing rhythm playing skills
Mohammed Suicmez doesn't do a damn thing for me. He has all the tools and, as far as I'm concerned, nothing to say
Ditto everybody else about whom your first comment would be 'listen to how fast he sweeps!'
Jon Schaffer could only get so far on Metallica-style riffing with sped up Maiden triplets, and that wasn't very far at all
Over the course of Dead Heart in a Dead World and Enemies of Reality, it was becoming increasingly clear that Loomis had gotten stuck in a world in which long, practice-sounding diminished runs repeated over and over could serve as solos, but for whatever reason he fell out of that rut with This Godless Endeavor. Good for him
The boys from Opeth seem to have ground to a halt, trying everything to write something different and repeatedly having it come out the same. Which is really what most people want from them, anyway
I hear John Mansley's playing is highly overrated, and most of his solos are just copied from Nile
Eddy Van Halen got annoying fast. Listen to the lead on Jump and you should know what I mean. Nobody's ever descended so deeply into self-parody so quickly
I'm not that strong myself, come to think of it
Johnny Lang annoys the piss out of me. Kenny Wayne Shephard just wants to be SRV. Derek Trucks rules
Mongrain seems to be only capable of writing good solos. He should throw some bad ones in to mix it up
David Gilmour suffers from an overflow of taste, whereas most guitarists are absolutely tasteless. Share the wealth, Gilmy
Jim is not a very good guitarist at all

Is that enough? I'll leave it to you to sort out which were serious.

Old 2005-10-14, 10:35
Transient
HES BAAACK

yeah that weas good pst, good to see you back , too. i might steal your bedroom line about petrucci

Old 2005-10-14, 16:02
Schizoid
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by davie_gravy
Yea,

Even COB's alexi laiho's songs all sound the same, sometimes I can't tell which song is which cause he uses alot of the same songwriting techniques, but he's fuckin badass, and I'm not saying his songwriting skills suck either, just monotomous in the fashion of nothing really diverse from each other.

His song writing is basically almost the same concept and style for each whole album but each of his songs is significantly different from the other (at least it is for me). Has anybody listened to their newest album, Are you dead yet. It is pretty good but they changed their style by a lot. It is much slower and more heavy metal than neoclassical. Necrophagist is good but the songs sound almost identical. Graveworm is good but each of their album is almost identical as well. The singer always sings the same exact way for each album.

Last edited by Schizoid : 2005-10-14 at 16:05.

Old 2005-10-14, 18:27
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by PST 88
I hear John Mansley's playing is highly overrated, and most of his solos are just copied from Nile

That's damn true!

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn

Old 2005-10-14, 23:34
rapeandruin
Post-whore

I didn't read all of the posts but... Nile, COB, Cage, Carcass, ...fuck a shitload others...they just get old quickly and I consider that bad song writing or "weak guitarists." I don't know just need more change or at least... or somethign fuck.

Old 2005-10-14, 23:38
Tattered
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

Ahh i wouldnt say carcass are bad songwriters, swansong was a great album!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal=life
Hey don't talk back buddy. Give your dick size or don't post.

Old 2005-10-15, 00:17
DEAD
Post-whore

Carcass, hahaha, yeah they can't write song.
Comforting silence

Old 2005-10-15, 21:50
Tattered
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

I take it you havent heard ''Swansong''..

Quote:

Old 2005-10-16, 12:09
far_beyond_sane
You gamma-minus fucktards
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by PST 88
Jim is not a very good guitarist at all

Dead to rights. I'm fucking awful.

"It was some kind of evolutionary glitch, she figured; no different than the other unreasonable side effects of consciousness and emotion, like religion and rap music."

Old 2005-10-17, 17:30
SicSyco
Metalhead

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by younguitarist
haha ouch.

I don't really dig Hate eternal that much. Eric Rutan has good vocals but he writes some boring ass guitar riffs.

so true, hate eternal just seems to basic for my tastes ummmm......
the guitarists from DragonForce, man they suck, nah just playin 'bout DragonForce, if you want creativity , give them a listen

Old 2005-10-17, 18:42
SicSyco
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity
Every guitarist! They all suck.

yes we do

Old 2005-10-17, 18:53
SicSyco
Metalhead

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by humancorpse
I hate this thread! Everyone stop bashing my favorite bands!

you shouldn't ge mad over other peoples opinions, you have yours and they have theirs, it's cool, let it be

Old 2005-10-17, 19:08
SicSyco
Metalhead

Talking

i love darkest hour to death, but the solo from the single "convalescence" off the new album is just weak, ridiculous, and nothing great. the song kick ass, but the solo sucks. it opens with 5 bends that sound shitty as hell, and i wonder, "do the dudes in DH think that that solo is cool?" i'm sure someone will disagree with me, and want to fight or something

Old 2005-10-17, 19:10
The Angry Hobbit
Senior Metalhead

im sick of zakk wylde..... his stuff with bls is just horrible. all the riffs consist of the same five power chords. and all the solos pretty musch sound exactly the same..... he just plays a bunch of random hammer-ons and frettboard taps.

Old 2005-10-17, 19:22
humancorpse
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SicSyco
you shouldn't ge mad over other peoples opinions, you have yours and they have theirs, it's cool, let it be

It was more like a joke man.

Old 2005-10-17, 20:13
Zionist
My Ass, Your Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAD
Carcass, hahaha, yeah they can't write song.

Blasphemy! Carcass write great songs.
Wore her out before I could finish(which im grateful for)

Funeral Mulch; My brutal death metal band from West Michigan.

Old 2005-10-17, 20:17
DEAD
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionist
Blasphemy! Carcass write great songs.

It was sarcasm.
Comforting silence

Old 2005-10-17, 22:05
Tattered
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

Glad to know.

Quote:

Old 2005-10-18, 00:10
SicSyco
Metalhead

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by SicSyco
i love darkest hour to death, but the solo from the single "convalescence" off the new album is just weak, ridiculous, and nothing great. the song kick ass, but the solo sucks. it opens with 5 bends that sound shitty as hell, and i wonder, "do the dudes in DH think that that solo is cool?" i'm sure someone will disagree with me, and want to fight or something

in this i was speaking of weak songwriting, the solo is too obnoxious

Old 2005-10-18, 01:27
the_bleeding
Post-whore

repetetive?

PHIL ANSELMO... pretty much all of superjoints songs are the same scale, same powerchords.

and his 4 string guitar rhythm guy who also played with Corrosion of Conformity... one of them play the same bend in every song, right before the vocals start.

and zakk wylde cant write a song for shit. He can solo like hell, but his songs consist of way too many pinch harmonics, and about 2 power chords, which are only changed by palm muting every once in a while.

theres my 2 cents
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2005-10-18, 23:22
The Angry Hobbit
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
repetetive?

PHIL ANSELMO... pretty much all of superjoints songs are the same scale, same powerchords.

and his 4 string guitar rhythm guy who also played with Corrosion of Conformity... one of them play the same bend in every song, right before the vocals start.

and zakk wylde cant write a song for shit. He can solo like hell, but his songs consist of way too many pinch harmonics, and about 2 power chords, which are only changed by palm muting every once in a while.

theres my 2 cents

nah zakks solos suck..... no melody, no flow, its just really choppy. he is WAY overrated.

Old 2005-10-20, 04:14
Joe Rogers
New Blood

Zakk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Angry Hobbit
nah zakks solos suck..... no melody, no flow, its just really choppy. he is WAY overrated.

Wow, i'm surprised it took so long for someone to actually say that. I'm really not a huge fan of his songs. But they definetly could be worst. But wow, I hate his singing. I know thats not the topic at all but i hate his singing. I really think he should have stuck with ozzy..... and let other people write his songs. haha

Old 2005-10-20, 18:39
The Angry Hobbit
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rogers
Wow, i'm surprised it took so long for someone to actually say that. I'm really not a huge fan of his songs. But they definetly could be worst. But wow, I hate his singing. I know thats not the topic at all but i hate his singing. I really think he should have stuck with ozzy..... and let other people write his songs. haha

so true