MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Metal > Bands

Old 2005-08-11, 05:11
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

Maybe not for all you "die-hard" death metal fans, but Deliverance is brutal enough for me. Man, I don't really want to listen to this new album so much cuz it's not even out yet, but I can't help it.

Old 2005-08-11, 11:50
BlackRoseImmortal
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seve420
When the fuck did Opeth sign to Roadrunner Records?! And recruit a fucking keyboardist?

Opeth were my favourite band for years but not long after Deliverance was released, I just stopped caring for them. I didn't even realize that they were going to release another album till today.

I'm quite interested in how Ghost Reveries sounds but I'm still kind of shocked that they're with Roadrunner now. My generalised opinion is that for years now, Roadrunner's lineup consists of bands that aren't worth my time listening to before deciding they're shit.

What turned me off Opeth was how thier worst albums IMO, Deliverance and Damnation, got the most commercial success to the point that nu-metal kids, whose main diet was Static-X and System Of The Down, bought these albums. It's not that being well known and heard is bad, it's just annoying that Opeth is the only legitimate death metal band being heard by nu-metallers/Kerrang kids and they didn't seem to make any fucking attempt to show what else death metal has to offer. Now that they've gone to Roadrunner, it seems like they've turned their backs on the death metal scene. I know it's probably not the case but it just appears like that.

From previous posts, it seems like GR isn't really pushing the boundaries and the Opeth sound is so familiar that it simply doesn't standout from previous albums anymore. I would love to see Opeth open an album with a 30-40 second song that was as brutal and as intense as Defeated Sanity or Hate Eternal and grab people by the fucking throat (I doubt the drummer could handle it though). It would also break this fucking 10 minute long epic song regime that Mikael's been feverishly masturbating over for years, which is wearing fucking thin.

I'll still probably buy Ghost Reveries when it's released and I should really listen to some of their new songs before saying anything but the overall opinion of this album seems like it definately isn't the greatest album in the fucking world.

You're an idiot. GR was recorded and finished before Opeth signed with RR, and you're probably forgetting that RR has had some amazing bands on it, but because of the modern shit they put out then it's impossible for them to have a good band signed ever again?
Opeth do 10 minute songs. I could say that 30 second long grind songs are wearing thin and that every grind band should quit it because it's getting boring. Or basically almost every fucking popular song in the world, I could tell 90% of musicians that the average 3 minute length is getting tedious.
Surely if Opeth were your favourite band at one time then it was because of their style of music that they play. Now you suddenly want them to change and write something brutal? Even the mellow tracks all have something very Opeth about them (no not Mike's voice), but it wouldn't be very easy for them to write a brutal track and still keep some prog-ness and Opeth charm in there.
Stick to BDM if that's what you want to here, don't expect it from a band that most people on here don't even consider death metal.

Old 2005-08-11, 16:02
rabbifoodslicer
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
I should really listen to some of their new songs before saying anything

well you said it yourself

Old 2005-08-15, 19:29
h4x5k8
Post-whore

Well i just saw them live at SotUG and it was pretty damn awesome.
After the show I bought Damnation, not knowing it was all soft, and I accepted it, and it ended up kicking ass. After that I got Orchid, which I havnt listened to alot but it hasnt caught my attention yet, ill have to check it out more. Then i got Blackwater Park, Deliverance, Still Life, and Lamnations. I like BWP a lot, and deliverance also (probably because ive watched the DVD so many times deliverance has grown on me) Ive listened to Still Life about 2 times, but its the same situation as Orchid, ill have to listen to it some more. If I like GR ill probably get it, along with Morningrise.

I am dling GR right now just because I cant wait.

Old 2005-08-15, 20:22
brainsforbreakfast
El Diablo sin pantalones

Don't bother guys. There is always someone talking shit, no matter how valid or false his reasons are.
Originally Posted by Requiem
Why would you sig that?
Why not? Why would you sig me saying that I hate you? I was serious there, too.

I'm in despair! The internet has left me in despair!

Old 2005-08-15, 23:07
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4x5k8
Well i just saw them live at SotUG and it was pretty damn awesome.
After the show I bought Damnation, not knowing it was all soft, and I accepted it, and it ended up kicking ass. After that I got Orchid, which I havnt listened to alot but it hasnt caught my attention yet, ill have to check it out more. Then i got Blackwater Park, Deliverance, Still Life, and Lamnations. I like BWP a lot, and deliverance also (probably because ive watched the DVD so many times deliverance has grown on me) Ive listened to Still Life about 2 times, but its the same situation as Orchid, ill have to listen to it some more. If I like GR ill probably get it, along with Morningrise.

I am dling GR right now just because I cant wait.

Listen to Still Life the most, I think it's the best. You sould like it if you liked BWP.

Old 2005-08-15, 23:41
TheLeviathan
Senior Metalhead

Aye Still Life, Blackwater and My Arms are my fav albums by Opeth.
The Moor

Old 2005-08-16, 01:53
Corpsevomit98
Post-whore

One thing that i did not know was that still life was a concept album....and when i figured it out and looked at the lyrics ive really started liking still life a hell of alot more. But GR kicks major ass.....Ghost of perdition!

Old 2005-08-16, 06:55
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

Fuck GOP haah it's good but Godhead's shits all over it.

Old 2005-08-16, 11:48
Seve420
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRoseImmortal
You're an idiot. GR was recorded and finished before Opeth signed with RR, and you're probably forgetting that RR has had some amazing bands on it, but because of the modern shit they put out then it's impossible for them to have a good band signed ever again?
Opeth do 10 minute songs. I could say that 30 second long grind songs are wearing thin and that every grind band should quit it because it's getting boring. Or basically almost every fucking popular song in the world, I could tell 90% of musicians that the average 3 minute length is getting tedious.
Surely if Opeth were your favourite band at one time then it was because of their style of music that they play. Now you suddenly want them to change and write something brutal? Even the mellow tracks all have something very Opeth about them (no not Mike's voice), but it wouldn't be very easy for them to write a brutal track and still keep some prog-ness and Opeth charm in there.
Stick to BDM if that's what you want to here, don't expect it from a band that most people on here don't even consider death metal.

I thought the bands forums was for unnecessary bitching? Speaking of which;
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbifoodslicer
well you said it yourself

Fuck you. I'm entitled to my own opinion whether it be unreasonable, excessive or just plain stupid.

Anyway, BRI, why the fuck does it matter if they recorded the album before they signed with Roadrunner? They no doubt were given offers and considered them whilst writing the album. Fuck off is they just happened to sign overnight but at least they didn't have someone from RR breathing down thier neck while they recorded it.

If you didn't notice I said that RR lineup has been shit 'for years now', meaning that, yes, they have had great bands that have contributed greatly to death metal, but recently it's been a pile of pig shit.

If you've listened to any of the songs I've written, you'll realise that I don't stick to the normal. I've just started writing fantasy goregrind songs for fuck sake. I reckon it wouldn't be all that hard to write an Opeth styled song that incorporates brutal death metal, infact, I see that as a challenge.

Just Click On These
Friendship In School Hours
StraightEdge Tattoo Removalist
The Acid Dancers
Skull Full Of Unicorns

Old 2005-08-17, 06:14
Corpsevomit98
Post-whore

You know what? You try it...I wont listen to it but go ahead. The fact still remains that I dont want to see opeth be the most br00tl band evr!!!11!!1 I want them to be opeth...and that is what they are doing. And have fun with your fantasy grind... I hope its br00tlz!1!!1!!!!

Anyone know if this album is supposed to be a concept. I am starting to believe it is from just the lyrics alone.

Last edited by Corpsevomit98 : 2005-08-17 at 17:58.

Old 2005-08-17, 19:54
h4x5k8
Post-whore

what do you mean by concept?

Old 2005-08-17, 20:16
Zionist
My Ass, Your Face

He means that this album couls be based on a concept, or an idea.
Wore her out before I could finish(which im grateful for)

Funeral Mulch; My brutal death metal band from West Michigan.

Old 2005-08-17, 22:02
Corpsevomit98
Post-whore

Like maybe a full blown story that is played out throught the album. I kinda think it is but id like some other opinions on it before i go ahead and say it is.

Old 2005-08-18, 02:15
The Execrator
Noob lud

Are My Arms, Your Hearse and Still Life their only concept albums?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
Please excuse me for I currently have a terminal erection, and the only cure is midget-cunny.

Old 2005-08-18, 02:30
Transient
HES BAAACK

yep, but maybe this new one is. we'll see with the lyrics when we all go buy the album on august 30th, right?

Old 2005-08-18, 04:11
Something_Wicked
Senior Metalhead

To Be honest I have mixed feelings about the album, I've only heard three songs cause I refuse to listen to it in its full till its released, but I cant say I really like TGC its just to mixed up in what they were going for IMO, Ghost of Perdition is such a damn good song, I like the new approach they went with on Mike's clean vocals like at the "Darkness by her side" lines and the "Walk into the room say you have live before you die young" its not just emotional Dream Theater BS. Baying of the Hounds I would have to say is the best IMO, but is really Choppy at times. In terms of where Opeth decided to go with this album....I have to say what I've heard is pretty damn good, and I've heard that Isolation Years and Atonment are genius but we'll have to so see, Like always Opeth changes up their style of music, even if its quote "Not Brutal" like Hate Eternal, in which case they never have been even on older stuffs such as Morningrise and Orchid...
Quote:
I would love to see Opeth open an album with a 30-40 second song that was as brutal and as intense as Defeated Sanity or Hate Eternal and grab people by the fucking throat (I doubt the drummer could handle it though). It would also break this fucking 10 minute long epic song regime that Mikael's been feverishly masturbating over for years, which is wearing fucking thin.

Like I always said its not that fans that decide how a band sounds, its the band and the fans choose to like what they have done or not....the other is just a real fast path to selling out

Opeth is still one of my favorite bands enough said

I HATE RABBIFOODSLICER

Old 2005-08-18, 04:17
Corpsevomit98
Post-whore

The lyrics suggest so... I think. Going from Reverie/Harlequin Forest to Hours of Wealth suggest a story but i cant make out the whole thing yet. It sounds like a pretty god damn good story but youll just have to see for yourselves.

Old 2005-08-18, 13:37
methodlessman
Senior Metalhead

I read on some site that it is a concept album with 'occult themes,' whatever that means.

BTW, lyrics for some of the songs are up on Metal Archives.

Old 2005-08-18, 18:12
Corpsevomit98
Post-whore

Yeah but some of them "may be" incorrect. I saw them and that is why i brought it up. It apperas to be so from the two songs i said earlier.

Old 2005-08-25, 00:53
_satan
New Blood

Ghost Reveries is terrible.

Old 2005-08-25, 01:06
The Execrator
Noob lud

What a terrific post you fucking moron.

Quote:
Please excuse me for I currently have a terminal erection, and the only cure is midget-cunny.

Old 2005-08-25, 01:10
brainsforbreakfast
El Diablo sin pantalones

I downloaded GR a week or two ago, have been listening 24/7 since.

I will buy it the day it comes out.. I will be camping in front of my cd store if I have to
Why would you sig that?

Old 2005-08-25, 22:13
rabbifoodslicer
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Fuck you. I'm entitled to my own opinion whether it be unreasonable, excessive or just plain stupid.

first off since ive been away for quite a while id like to say a big fuck you that was completely unnecessary

and SATAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....................*sigh*

Old 2005-08-25, 22:18
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainsforbreakfast
I downloaded GR a week or two ago, have been listening 24/7 since.

I will buy it the day it comes out.. I will be camping in front of my cd store if I have to

I won't have to camp, no one's gonna buy it where I live haha.

Old 2005-08-25, 23:20
MorbidGuitar
Post-whore

I love opeth but the new album is repetitive, the heavy vocs have way too much reverb which makes them sound out of place, and there are really only 3 tracks that i would officially call songs. I can hardly listen to those acoustic tracks without falling asleep. I like the damnation album so don't go saying its "because its not heavy enough" or something. Thats my review. Can't like 'em all i guess.

Old 2005-08-26, 00:42
Corpsevomit98
Post-whore

The only song on that album that i am not particular too is Hours of Wealth....It just seems incredibly off genre. LIke it doesnt even have the Opeth feell to it, it sounds just like a standard blues song.

Old 2005-08-26, 02:59
Kalmahswamp
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpsevomit98
The only song on that album that i am not particular too is Hours of Wealth....It just seems incredibly off genre. LIke it doesnt even have the Opeth feell to it, it sounds just like a standard blues song.

I love that song

Old 2005-08-26, 03:05
The Execrator
Noob lud

5 days..

Quote:

Old 2005-08-26, 03:09
Transient
HES BAAACK

yes

then ill hear it for real!!

my will is iron! actually i listened to a 5 minute edit of grand conjuration last week but other than that ive held out.listend to ghsot of perdition once and grand a few times

i rule

Old 2005-08-26, 03:50
The Execrator
Noob lud

Acutally i won. I didnt even listen to Ghost. Just Grand..

Quote:

Old 2005-08-26, 05:58
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalmahswamp
I love that song

Me too, it's so calming and soothing..............that was really unmetal what I just said.

Old 2005-08-26, 06:01
BeastOfCarrion
Pokémon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient
yes

then ill hear it for real!!

my will is iron! actually i listened to a 5 minute edit of grand conjuration last week but other than that ive held out.listend to ghsot of perdition once and grand a few times

i rule

Oh yeah, well I have not listened to ANY of the songs - or even seen the cover.
Me > You!
(x.x) (> <)
Somebody has decapitated an innocent rabbit, can Abbath solve this crime before more innocent bunnies are hurt?

Old 2005-08-26, 22:28
BlackRoseImmortal
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastOfCarrion
Oh yeah, well I have not listened to ANY of the songs - or even seen the cover.
Me > You!

I didn't even know they had an album coming out!
Me > Everyone

Old 2005-08-27, 01:07
Transient
HES BAAACK

hahaha BRI wins!!

Old 2005-08-27, 19:10
Vardanstalt
Senior Metalhead

Yea, this CD comes out in 3 more days....

"Faith: not wanting to know what is true."
-Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

teh myspace

Old 2005-08-27, 19:13
Vardanstalt
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by _satan
Ghost Reveries is terrible.

...and your a fucking douchebag.

teh myspace

Last edited by Vardanstalt : 2005-08-28 at 03:28.

Old 2005-08-28, 00:09
BlackRoseImmortal
Senior Metalhead

It's spelt douche you douche

Old 2005-08-28, 01:18
Corpsevomit98
Post-whore

Hours of walth kind of scares me a little. It doesnt sound alot like opeth at all. To me it sounds a hell of alot like Dream theater minus james fag labrei. It is just too bluesy.

Old 2005-08-28, 01:26
brainsforbreakfast
El Diablo sin pantalones

i like it, they did their stuff for 7 albums, now they do something different, wich is still their style, but just total different angle.

Oh, and I already have it
Why would you sig that?

Last edited by brainsforbreakfast : 2005-08-28 at 01:37.

Old 2005-08-28, 13:57
rabbifoodslicer
Supreme Metalhead

2 days....

Old 2005-08-28, 19:20
BlackRoseImmortal
Senior Metalhead

It's actually out on the 29th here but it's also a bank holiday so none of the shops are open and theres no post.

Old 2005-08-28, 19:55
rabbifoodslicer
Supreme Metalhead

here cds only come out on tuesdays for some reason

Old 2005-08-28, 22:13
Vardanstalt
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
here cds only come out on tuesdays for some reason

Where is "here"?

teh myspace

Old 2005-08-28, 23:06
Zionist
My Ass, Your Face

Your pants?
Wore her out before I could finish(which im grateful for)

Funeral Mulch; My brutal death metal band from West Michigan.

Old 2005-08-29, 04:01
rabbifoodslicer
Supreme Metalhead

uh....chicago sorry.

Old 2005-08-29, 04:03
Transient
HES BAAACK

america cds come out on tuesdays and movies come out on wednesdays

Old 2005-08-29, 04:15
PST 88
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

Only certain movies (big releases like Star Wars, LOTR, or various large comic book movies) come out on Wednesdays. Most come out on Fridays. DVDs are also released on Tuesdays, like CDs.

Old 2005-08-29, 05:24
Rapture
The Stings of Conscience

oh my fuck... this album comes out on tuesday!

Snuck up on me.

Old 2005-08-29, 05:47
Dissection
bugfucker strikes back.

Its good. But I haven't listen to it in weeks.

Awesome.

Old 2005-08-29, 06:11
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture
oh my fuck... this album comes out on tuesday!

Snuck up on me.

It's almost like no one remembered after they downloaded it.

Old 2005-08-29, 15:25
Rapture
The Stings of Conscience

i didnt download it. It just....snuck up on me

Old 2005-08-29, 15:50
Dissection
bugfucker strikes back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Night 6 6
It's almost like no one remembered after they downloaded it.

I haven't many chances to listen to music lately. Ok, thats a lie. I just haven't been in the mood for Opeth. Its still a good album, and maybe best of 05 in my book, depending on where Tool and Dr. Dre's new album fall (date wise).

Awesome.

Old 2005-08-29, 15:50
BlackRoseImmortal
Senior Metalhead

I preordered it on Amazon because when I preordered This Godless Endeavour it came 2 days early - checked the shipping progress just now and Amazon say "Waiting for stock"... Internet sucks.

Old 2005-08-29, 17:28
Transient
HES BAAACK

a sad day when dr dre beats out opeth for best album of 05

Old 2005-08-29, 20:07
rabbifoodslicer
Supreme Metalhead

why is he releasing a cd that is so not frostbittingly grim and necro? ON THE SAME DAY AS OPETH??

Old 2005-08-30, 21:51
The Execrator
Noob lud

Happy ghost reveries release day everyone! It seems like yesterday i made the thread about Opeth making a new album.

Quote:

Old 2005-08-30, 22:57
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

You're all gonna buy it cuz you guys didn't dl it.....right?

Old 2005-08-30, 23:04
Kalmahswamp
Post-whore

Quote:
You're all gonna buy it cuz you guys didn't dl it.....right?

I DLed it and went straight to best buy today to buy it. The artwork throughout is kinda lame and the word "peeps" is said a bunch of times in the "thanks" section.

Old 2005-08-31, 00:37
BeastOfCarrion
Pokémon Master

The picture of them is the crappiest thing that I have ever seen on s CD cover.
(x.x) (> <)
Somebody has decapitated an innocent rabbit, can Abbath solve this crime before more innocent bunnies are hurt?

Old 2005-08-31, 01:15
Transient
HES BAAACK

im listening to morningrise now...advent. i didnt get to the store today to get it so ill pick one up at the mall tomorrow. i have the mp3s but dont think ill listen actually

Old 2005-08-31, 02:57
rabbifoodslicer
Supreme Metalhead

downloaded it...listened to it...liked it...bought it today...

i feel that all i got acomplished in buying the cd was obtaing a case and a booklet...meh its worth it

Old 2005-08-31, 06:18
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

Quote:
downloaded it...listened to it...liked it...bought it today...

i feel that all i got acomplished in buying the cd was obtaing a case and a booklet...meh its worth it

Usually better quality in the real CD also.

Old 2005-08-31, 14:52
brainsforbreakfast
El Diablo sin pantalones

So do you guys think it was worth waiting instead of downloading the leak?
I didn't like it much after the first listen, but after two weeks of giving it a lot of listening and letting it settle, i'm in love with it

And yes, I bought the album.
Why would you sig that?

Old 2005-08-31, 18:31
Transient
HES BAAACK

yeah i bought it and i think it was worth the wait. on ghost of perdition now but i really dont like the clean vocal blues line thing in the beginning

Old 2005-08-31, 18:52
brainsforbreakfast
El Diablo sin pantalones

The major key singing? I kinda disliked it at first, but it comes of as something new and fresh.. it contrasts nicely with the minor key singing imo.
Why would you sig that?

Old 2005-08-31, 19:40
Transient
HES BAAACK

it just sounds too gay and sassy honestly

Old 2005-08-31, 20:19
brainsforbreakfast
El Diablo sin pantalones

realy?
Why would you sig that?

Old 2005-08-31, 20:20
Corpsevomit98
Post-whore

My opinion.. in rank of songs

1. Ghost of Perdition
2. Reverie/harlequin Forest
3. Isolation Years
4. Baying of the hounds
5. Atonement
6. Beneath the Mire
7. Hours of wealth
8. The grand shittyration

Old 2005-08-31, 20:39
BlackRoseImmortal
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastOfCarrion
The picture of them is the crappiest thing that I have ever seen on s CD cover.

Opeth said that they would put in some fan art into the booklet - obviously nothing good came in but they didn't want to seem like pricks that don't care about their fans, so just used a crappy Pink Floyd copy.

Old 2005-08-31, 20:46
Transient
HES BAAACK

hahah fan arts always bad

actually i havent opened the booklet yet

Old 2005-08-31, 22:30
The Execrator
Noob lud

Reverie/Harlequin Forest is an awesome song. This album is good.

Quote:

Old 2005-09-01, 20:03
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

I wanna get this, but need money.

Oh well, I dl it anyways....

Old 2005-09-01, 21:38
LordofStorms
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Execrator
Reverie/Harlequin Forest is an awesome song.

Thats the only one I like as a matter of fact.This is dissapointment of the century to me,I really don't know why but so far I am hating this album.I'll give it a few more listens,but I have a feeling I'll be giving this to one of my freinds.

Old 2005-09-02, 01:42
The Execrator
Noob lud

Psht, that songs worth having the album for!

Quote:

Old 2005-09-02, 02:11
Corpsevomit98
Post-whore

Ghost Of Perdition??????? that is also a damn good song

Old 2005-09-02, 04:51
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

Quote:
Ghost Of Perdition??????? that is also a damn good song

That is a damn good mother fucking song. I fucking love every part of it. From the aggressiveness in the beginning, then I love that acoustic part. And especially how that solo is in the backround of the acoustic part. Then the riff of the 2nd solo is damn awesome too.

Old 2005-09-03, 08:30
Something_Wicked
Senior Metalhead

The whole album rocks....out side of TGC but we wont talk about that

IMO the best songs are

1.)Baying of the Hounds/Reverie Harlquin Forest
2.)Ghost of Perdition
3.)Hours of Wealth/Isolation years
4.)Beneath the mire
5.)Atonement
6.) THAT Song...

3 1/2 stars man

I HATE RABBIFOODSLICER

Old 2005-09-03, 18:44
The Execrator
Noob lud

From what ive heard, i'll give it a 4/5. It's right up there with their other albums. Even though I liked their style around the time of Blackwater Park better.

Quote:

Old 2005-09-04, 04:18
Corpsevomit98
Post-whore

I could really use a tab for the interlude of Reverie/Harlequin....the part where he sings "they are, the trees"

Old 2005-09-04, 05:31
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title

I've only heard The Grand Conjuration. I thought it was awesome, and I'm not much of an opeth fan.

Old 2005-09-04, 05:57
The Execrator
Noob lud

Yeah it is a good song. I doubt you would like the rest of the album though. You should check out some of their heavier songs from Deliverance, I dont know if you have. If you want some, instant message me on AIM or PM me.

Quote:

Old 2005-09-04, 06:04
BeastOfCarrion
Pokémon Master

I keep getting Grand Conjuration and Ghost of Perdition mixed up. Either way, the latter is the better song.
(x.x) (> <)

Old 2005-09-04, 06:08
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

Also from what I've read, they've used completely diff. tunings on this album. Like an open Dm or something like that.

Old 2005-09-04, 06:24
The Execrator
Noob lud

Yeah, Mike said they used a different tuning and it was a challenge to write decent solos in the new tuning.

Quote:

Old 2005-09-04, 16:08
rabbifoodslicer
Supreme Metalhead

i enjoy the solos though... at first when i heard the solo off of tgc i was kindda shocked but it all seems to fit into place now...

Old 2005-09-04, 16:39
Corpsevomit98
Post-whore

Yeah they do use fucked up tunings...there is a tab on power-tab.net for ghost of perdition

D
A
F
D
A
D

....and i cant play the song worth a shit.

Old 2005-09-04, 23:20
brainsforbreakfast
El Diablo sin pantalones

Quote:
Yeah they do use fucked up tunings...there is a tab on power-tab.net for ghost of perdition

D
A
F
D
A
D

....and i cant play the song worth a shit.

WTF? They drop halve the notes, keep one and raise one?
Why would you sig that?

Old 2005-09-04, 23:41
OpethFan
Toast-whore

Thats open D right?

Think my attitude stinks?? You should smell my fingers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB_ZE_METALLEU
yeah, one night he (BassBehemoth) came with some GHB and he put it in my drink, when i woke up....i lost my hymen....terrible

Old 2005-09-05, 23:20
rabbifoodslicer
Supreme Metalhead

d minor from what i know

Old 2005-09-05, 23:21
Transient
HES BAAACK

hrm. almost a week after its release and ive only listened to a few of the songs once

Old 2005-09-07, 03:47
Rapture
The Stings of Conscience

yea, its open Dm

I have formed an opinion, and as we all know, my opinion matters above all...

The album is good, but it could have been so much better. I can't help but listen to a vast majority of the album and hear things i wish were just a little different.

Old 2005-09-07, 11:38
autumncurve
Post-whore

its like classic opeth mixed with bad keyboards...some of the songs start with so much promise and then by around 3.30 get boring as hell.

but, i think ill grow to love it because its so different to their other material. and the solos are awesome

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs. malicious
someone's a little behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
I'll take you from behind!

-grindcore (featuring newHELLonEARTH)- Krossa
-"Neo-Classical Heathen Folk"- Ellylldan
-experimental/middle eastern themed/folk/ambient- Soft Temple
-experimental/post rock/downtempo- Silence Over Okhotsk

Old 2005-09-07, 16:02
brainsforbreakfast
El Diablo sin pantalones

I guess Mike got tired of the usual style, it might not be a very strong album in comparison to say, Still life or BwP, but the sound has definitly evolved. Some people are affraid it's the end of Opeth as we know it (teoOaki) but I can see a whole lot more albums comming.
Why would you sig that?

Old 2005-09-07, 20:49
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

To me it just sounds like Damnation and Deliverance combined into 1.

Old 2005-09-07, 20:56
autumncurve
Post-whore

Quote:
To me it just sounds like Damnation and Deliverance combined into 1.

well said... yeah, i think your right. but still, theyve completely over indulged in the use of keyboards. which i dont think they pulled off at all

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Old 2005-09-08, 09:02
OpethFan
Toast-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumncurve
well said... yeah, i think your right. but still, theyve completely over indulged in the use of keyboards. which i dont think they pulled off at all

Yeah your right, sounds like shit in a lot of songs.
Maybe some talented Piano wouldnt have been as bad, but its just mellotron - or what ever the fuck it is.
It just doesnt suit Opeth, but as they say 'opeth is all about change' I just think they changed too much from what made opeth great.
Its like they tried too hard to incorperate the mellotron into every song.

They still kick ass tho

Think my attitude stinks?? You should smell my fingers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB_ZE_METALLEU
yeah, one night he (BassBehemoth) came with some GHB and he put it in my drink, when i woke up....i lost my hymen....terrible

Old 2005-09-08, 09:55
autumncurve
Post-whore

yeah, definately. the new songs are growing on me. Piano would have been AWESOME on ghost reveries, thats for sure. the mellotron just sounds too mellow and crap really. but still, at least they tried to change things a bit so it wasnt just a clone of deliverance, i guess thats one way of looking at it...

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Old 2005-09-08, 15:12
BlackRoseImmortal
Senior Metalhead

There's piano on Hours of Wealth. I also love Per's work on Beneath the Mire (not referring to the intro though).

Old 2005-09-08, 15:32
autumncurve
Post-whore

i meant if all the keyboard was replaced with piano, but yeah...

Quote:
Quote:

Quote: