Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRON90
John Williams
Michael Angelo
Joe Satriani
Angus Young

And a bunch of others.....

ANGUS YOUNG? Come on now, he knew three chords and he didnt play any of the solos. he's the rythym guitarist and vocalist. and his voice sounds like my grandfather taking a shit

Old 2005-05-08, 02:37
Kylito
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Angry Hobbit
ANGUS YOUNG? Come on now, he knew three chords and he didnt play any of the solos. he's the rythym guitarist and vocalist. and his voice sounds like my grandfather taking a shit

His voice? No solos? Do you even know who Angus Young is? Of the four guys listed above, Angus is the best by far.

Old 2005-05-08, 13:19
LordofStorms
Post-whore

Quote:

You are a dumb fuck.

Old 2005-05-08, 21:50
morbid_priest
Senior Metalhead

In death metal I would have to say Trey Azagthoth. Look at how much quality shit he's written over the years, and he's showing no signs of slowing down yet. And his solos are just sick- and not just the widdly ones, his ethereal sounding ones are just magical- eg prayer of hatred and summoning redemption.
BLEEDING IN ECSTASY

Old 2005-05-10, 22:20
Jittery Sniper
Senior Metalhead
Banned

The above is pretty right on. Trey is a madman.

I can't think of a greatest, so I'll just pick a favorite.

Mey'nach of Mutiilation

As far as the best goes I will say Abbath since he did every instrument for Immortal at one point or another. He did drums, bass, vocals, and guitar just all scattered throughout the discography.

Best Guitarist

michael angelo batio

Best Vocalist

Whoever the guy from Beherit was

Old 2005-05-10, 22:24
LordofStorms
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jittery Sniper

As far as the best goes I will say Abbath since he did every instrument for Immortal at one point or another. He did drums, bass, vocals, and guitar just all scattered throughout the discography.

Old 2005-05-10, 22:42
Jittery Sniper
Senior Metalhead
Banned

At least one guy knows what the fuck is going on. Emperor rules too but that's only obvious. Check out Vlad Tepes, you might like it.

Old 2005-05-11, 04:47
Seve420
Senior Metalhead

Michael & Chris Amott deserve a mention for making some of the best riffs heard.
Karl Sanders - Nile
Muhammed Suicmez - Necrophagist
and you can't go past Mikeal Akerfeldt

Just Click On These
Friendship In School Hours
StraightEdge Tattoo Removalist
The Acid Dancers
Skull Full Of Unicorns

Old 2005-05-11, 05:01
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seve420
and you can't go past Mikeal Akerfeldt

Old 2005-05-11, 13:03
LordofStorms
Post-whore

Quote:
At least one guy knows what the fuck is going on. Emperor rules too but that's only obvious. Check out Vlad Tepes, you might like it.

I'll do that,I've heard good things about Vlad.

Old 2005-05-11, 13:13
tchambliss
Senior Metalhead

I would have to say somewhere between Mozart and Bach considering they have had a major impact on metal. Then again if you cut just one person out of the chain music would be completly different. Cut Jimi Hendrix out and there would be no Stevie Ray, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, and possibly even Jimmy Page to the extent that he existed. Each may still have existed but it wouldn't be the same. Anyways, a lot of the methods in composition used by Mozart and Bach mold what metal is today hence they get my vote.(The Thread didn't specify that the musician had to be a metal artist but they are still incorporated with metal.)

Old 2005-05-11, 13:35
Bia
Muffin Ass

Quote:

You can pull your foot out of your mouth anytime now.
Get a clue to WHO he is....then repost your apologies.

Old 2005-05-11, 22:22
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bia
You can pull your foot out of your mouth anytime now.
Get a clue to WHO he is....then repost your apologies.

No he's right.

Old 2005-05-14, 12:37
Daryl
New Blood

About Curt Kobain, he may have sucked ass but he did show the world you didn't excactly have to be a kickass guitar player to become famous. The simplest of stuff can make you famous. =]

I don't have favourites.

Old 2005-05-14, 12:58
Art-Of-Shredding
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl
About Curt Kobain, he may have sucked ass but he did show the world you didn't excactly have to be a kickass guitar player to become famous. The simplest of stuff can make you famous. =]

I don't have favourites.

So did brittany spears but there you go

Old 2005-05-14, 18:50
Of_Melancholy_Burnin
Metalhead

Quote:

How can you forget Bathory, Quothorn was doing it years before Immortal, although i love immortal too.

Old 2005-05-14, 19:01
IlikeRiffseveryone
Supreme Metalhead

Well, Charlie christian, from what i've heard was the first to play guitar Lead style And pick each singular note, So I have a certain respect for the man who changed things so that i didn't have to strum on chords all day. For that, I thank him. But of Course there are Dozens of others.

Old 2005-05-23, 16:38
ledfinger2000
New Blood

michael angelo batio is the master of shred with his double neck dean flying v
and pat-o-brian fom cannibal corpse
also angus young is the rythem and soloist form ac/dc and if what you say is true who is the lead guitarist for ac/dc then.

to see a creature of the dark you must be a creature of the dark

Old 2005-05-25, 05:40
Banishment
Metalhead

Azagthoth, Hendrix, Satriani, Vai, Petrucci

Old 2005-05-25, 06:04
Zereberus
New Blood

Beethoven
Azagthoth
Ishaun (sp?)

Old 2005-05-26, 12:38
Banishment
Metalhead

How the fuck can you put curt cobain in the same thread as mozart. On that note, how can you put metal guitarists in a thread with classical pianists? Oh well why not chuck in some violinists as well? Mendelsson, tchaikovsky

Old 2005-05-26, 12:45
Ghost
New Blood

trey Azagthoth
Karl Sanders

Old 2005-05-26, 13:49
the_bleeding
Post-whore

isahn is the shit...

yngwie is fucking good... but his songs arent very musical you know? its just ripping through notes as fast as he can.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2005-05-26, 19:30
tchambliss
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banishment
How the fuck can you put curt cobain in the same thread as mozart. On that note, how can you put metal guitarists in a thread with classical pianists? Oh well why not chuck in some violinists as well? Mendelsson, tchaikovsky

The Kurt Nobrain comment is understood but as for metal guitarists and classical pianists. . . metal is very classically rooted. . . they aren't all that different. One just has a lot more distortion. . . Honestly though they are close I keed you not.

RIP Brian Daniel McDonough: June 30, 1983- April 13, 2006, One of the bass greats that never was discovered

Old 2005-05-26, 19:49
IRON90
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:

Angus is not a singer. He's the school guy from AC/DC and he plays his solos well(not like a super shredder, but whatever).

And BTW heres some dudes that I forgot:

Mick Thomson
Alexi Laiho
Kirk Hammett
Zakk Wylde
Dimebag(R.I.P)

I'm sure that i forgot some guys, but nobody's perfect.

Old 2005-05-28, 05:52
tchambliss
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Angus is not a singer. He's the school guy from AC/DC and he plays his solos well(not like a super shredder, but whatever).

And BTW heres some dudes that I forgot:

Mick Thomson
Alexi Laiho
Kirk Hammett
Zakk Wylde
Dimebag(R.I.P)

I'm sure that i forgot some guys, but nobody's perfect.

Kirk is not very talented unless you consider this. . . .*presses wah pedal into on mode*. . . a talent

RIP Brian Daniel McDonough: June 30, 1983- April 13, 2006, One of the bass greats that never was discovered

Old 2005-05-28, 10:00
garr1
Post-whore

a talented guitarist that no one ever talks
about has got to be tony macalpine that guy can shred when he wants
that is

your all bound to know him
but if you dont (steve vai band)keyboards guitar
Preserved in time for all to see,
No brave new world, no brave new world,
Lost in this place, and leave no trace.

iron maiden - stranger in a strange land

Old 2005-05-29, 07:15
Plaguewielder
New Blood

Robert Johnson - Genesis of Rock/metal guitar
Beethoven and Mozart - Toss up I thoroughly enjoy both equally
Sir Jim Marshall - Figure this one out on your own

Old 2005-05-29, 10:18
raige
Metalhead

well pretty much everyone is posting about the best guitarist or most talented, rather than best musician, thses people have had some of the greates influences on music in a long long time
Tchaikovsky
Schubert,
Scarlatti,
Debussy,
Chopin,
Handel,
Haydn,
Mendelssohn,
Liszt,
brahms
etc

Old 2005-05-29, 13:49
IRON90
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchambliss
Kirk is not very talented unless you consider this. . . .*presses wah pedal into on mode*. . . a talent

Well, no offence, but who's the better one; Kirk Hammett or James Hetfield?

Old 2005-05-29, 14:39
Plaguewielder
New Blood

Quote:
Well, no offence, but who's the better one; Kirk Hammett or James Hetfield?

They both blow but Hetfield has the edge over Hammet. Who writes the majority of Metallica's material? Hetfield also does the dual chore of vocals and guitar which is no easy task. Hammet has played the same variation of one lead for the past 15 years now. He drowns leads in wah in hope that you think he is doing something unique and fresh. Hammet is very overrated

Old 2005-05-29, 16:34
Soeru
Post-whore

Musician? Or guitar masturbator? There's a big difference. Some people can kick everyone's ass at shredding but they can't write a good song.

As far as musicmanship goes, I'd say the guys from Opeth, even though I really don't like the band. It's like... they can wank on their instruments whenever they want to, but they don't, and their music still sounds very complex.

Edit: Oh yeah, Trey Azagthoth also writes really nice material, with very subtle melodies and shit.

Last edited by Soeru : 2005-05-29 at 16:38.

Old 2005-05-29, 22:41
IlikeRiffseveryone
Supreme Metalhead

Marcel Coenen IMO. His shredding actually has structure, And he does that when he needs to balance out his slow, Calculated melodies.

Old 2005-05-29, 22:50
YJM04
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banishment

metal music was spawned from classical music unless its hair metal. violinists were the first shredders. and classical composers like mozart that broke all the rules, were the perfect example of what metal is. thats the worst thing about nu-metal bands. they dont know their roots.
"thats all i got to say about that" forest gump

Old 2005-05-29, 23:46
sqol
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeru
Musician? Or guitar masturbator? There's a big difference. Some people can kick everyone's ass at shredding but they can't write a good song.

As far as musicmanship goes, I'd say the guys from Opeth, even though I really don't like the band. It's like... they can wank on their instruments whenever they want to, but they don't, and their music still sounds very complex.

Edit: Oh yeah, Trey Azagthoth also writes really nice material, with very subtle melodies and shit.

Got to agree with you there, i adore Opeth, to me they've produced the most powerful music i've heard.... anything that can bring a tear to my eye gets the 'sqol seal of approval'

Old 2005-05-30, 00:29
OpethFan
Toast-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqol
i adore Opeth, to me they've produced the most powerful music i've heard.... anything that can bring a tear to my eye gets the 'sqol seal of approval'

I agree too, i especially like opeths early stuff, their acoustic and electric songwriting is amazing. Im not too fond of their new metal but the soft stuff from damnation is cool.

I think my favourite musician of all time is Dave Gilmour from Pink Floyd. Might not be metal but their music had so much feeling.

Old 2005-05-30, 01:16
L,B'XXX
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

For an all around musician, Les Paul isn't too bad. There's a lot of good people mentioned and I agree that Cobain wasn't all that. Shoot. I even dressed grunge before he did. Anyone not into disco in the 70's did.

-wally: Mom, you shouldn't play after me because it makes you sound even worse than you already do. -wally:*grumbles and whispers quietly* I guess it's cuz I love you or something, but you're still a TURD
Grimm:I could read your mind but its in font size .5
Amadeus:Oh, and was there a cesserole (never mind spelling) involved?
Paddy:the fact that you didn't end up on a kids show makes me question my atheism
Dyldo: You evil strumpet!

Old 2005-05-30, 01:20
blizzard_beast
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeru
guitar masturbator?

haha did you come up with that yourself? I'm gonna use it from now on!

Old 2005-05-30, 03:16
death_rattle89
Senior Metalhead

trey azagthoth
erik rutan
dimebag
john petrucci
cliff burton

Old 2005-05-30, 04:00
dimmuchild
New Blood

ALEXI LAIHO

Old 2005-05-30, 04:05
Soeru
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard_beast
haha did you come up with that yourself? I'm gonna use it from now on!

Well, I would've used the term "wanker", but not everyone here might know what that means so I decided to use masturbator. I mean that's really what they do, look at any guitar virtuoso's facial expression when they're shredding, kind of like the face I make when I ejaculate.

I forgot to mention Vogg, Decapitated's sole guitarist. He is one true fucking genius. His blazingly fast structured solos sound very melodic for a death metal band, very creepy too, but shredding isn't the only thing he's good at. The riffs and song structures he comes up with are extremely complex, and no matter what riff he's playing, it always sounds awesome and flows right into the next riff. Most of the songs on the first album have well over 20 riffs, and they all kick major fucking ass! Go and buy "Winds of Creation" and "Nihility" if you haven't already. It's like... a Vader-type feel with Suffocation-style heaviness, but it sounds very unique.

Last edited by Soeru : 2005-05-30 at 04:07.

Old 2005-05-30, 13:43
YJM04
Post-whore

[QUOTE=Soeru]Well, I would've used the term "wanker", but not everyone here might know what that means so I decided to use masturbator. I mean that's really what they do, look at any guitar virtuoso's facial expression when they're shredding, kind of like the face I make when I ejaculate.

sort of like steve vai on that G3 in denver right? when he was doing that triple neck solo. he had that look that u get after a BJ. see thats what his mouth was like the whole time.

Old 2005-05-30, 15:39
IlikeRiffseveryone
Supreme Metalhead

Haha, I think that wanker thing in a behemoth interview with nergal if not mistaken:

" No one wants to go to a Concert and watch the lead masturbate on their guitar for 10 minutes."

also, Marcel coenen has some hilarious expressions when he plays. orgasmic.

Old 2005-05-30, 17:13
YJM04
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlikeRiffseveryone
Haha, I think that wanker thing in a behemoth interview with nergal if not mistaken:

" No one wants to go to a Concert and watch the lead masturbate on their guitar for 10 minutes."

also, Marcel coenen has some hilarious expressions when he plays. orgasmic.

Well just watch them when they bust out the wah/wah. thats the funniest but it does sound cool though.

Old 2005-06-01, 13:29
Banishment
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchambliss
The Kurt Nobrain comment is understood but as for metal guitarists and classical pianists. . . metal is very classically rooted. . . they aren't all that different. One just has a lot more distortion. . . Honestly though they are close I keed you not.

Ok fine, if you're talking about neoclassical players like the guy from monstrosity, but generally, classical music's only connection to metal is the dynamics and the precision. Most classical songs use too many ionian lines and it's just too happy, background musicish to be close to metal

Old 2005-06-02, 00:52
dimmuchild
New Blood

ALEXI LAIHO. FUCK YEAH

Old 2005-06-02, 03:43
Soeru
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlikeRiffseveryone

Well, "wanking" is used commonly to describe mindless shredding, but yeah that quote always comes to mind when I use the term "masturbation" and "guitar" in the same sentence. I think both of us are huge Behemoth fans, am I right?

(saw them with Suffocation in February, kicked ass)

Old 2005-06-06, 15:19
LordofStorms
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimmuchild
ALEXI LAIHO. FUCK YEAH

It could just be a spur of the moment thing considering I just got AOTW and Saurian Meditation(sp?),but Karl Sanders has taken the cake.
(keep in mind I only am judging metal musicians)

Old 2005-06-06, 17:03
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Saurian Meditation is a masterclass in ambience and creating a dark, forboding mood. Karl is quite simply a modern day genius.

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn

Old 2005-06-16, 03:03
7-string warlord
Post-whore

guitar:Alexi Laiho
bass:Henka Blacksmith
drums:Jaska Raatikainen
Keyboards:Janne Warmen

Coincedence I think not, I think Follow the Reaper is a damn good example.

Old 2005-06-16, 03:08
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7-string warlord

Ha, you should've just said COB.

Old 2005-06-16, 07:46
green dog
New Blood

michael jackson look at all the young boys he has touched with his music

Old 2005-06-16, 08:07
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7-string warlord

Don't Fear (The Reaper) shits all over Follow The Reaper.

Old 2005-06-16, 19:16
CoreyB

Thomas Forsberg (Quorthon from Bathory)
Chuck Schuldiner
Paul Masvidal
Ron Jarzombek (INCREDIBLE, ALONG WITH HIS BROTHER)
Kelly Shaefer
TREY AZAGTHOTH

GODS!

Last edited by CoreyB : 2005-06-16 at 19:20.

Old 2005-06-16, 19:41
fade2black2004
New Blood

I dont give a fuck what anyone says Alexi Laiho is amazing and so John D. from Shadows Fall

Old 2005-06-16, 19:47
7-string warlord
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fade2black2004
I dont give a fuck what anyone says Alexi Laiho is amazing and so John D. from Shadows Fall

HELL YEAH!

Old 2005-06-16, 19:54
IlikeRiffseveryone
Supreme Metalhead

Herman Li and Sam totman have written some very exquistite solos IMO, They keep remarkable amounts of melody for the speed. Too bad the singer is a plague on the band. Everyone in that band has so much talent and then the singer fucks everything up. Heh, now if muhammed suicez was singer and his guitar somehow tagged along...

Old 2005-06-17, 02:02
eyehatepop89
New Blood

IHSAHN
Joe Satriani
Les Claypool
Jimi Hendrix
Dimebag Darrell
Galder
Muhammed (from Necrophagist)
Buckethead
Michael Angelo
Any of the guys from Rush
Zakk Wylde
Mustis

Old 2005-06-17, 06:42
Kylito
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
Don't Fear (The Reaper) shits all over Follow The Reaper.

I agree. That song is so good it made watching "The Stand" almost worth it.

Old 2005-06-17, 07:03
Dystopia
Post-whore

Quote:
ALEXI LAIHO! the man is a genious. The melodies in Trashed, lost and strung out brought tears to my eyes. Children Of Bodom kicks ASS!

I haven't heard much Bodom, but I heard that song and agree.

Hendrix
Morrison
Dimebag
Beatles (mainly Paul and John)

Old 2005-06-17, 07:27
IRON90
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyehatepop89
IHSAHN
Joe Satriani
Les Claypool
Jimi Hendrix
Dimebag Darrell
Galder
Muhammed (from Necrophagist)
Buckethead
Michael Angelo
Any of the guys from Rush
Zakk Wylde
Mustis

Buckethead?....from new GNR?....but isn't he a noob? He looks like one anyway lol. whatever the rest is great (altough i haven't heard everyone)

Old 2005-06-17, 07:34
Kylito
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Buckethead?....from new GNR?....but isn't he a noob? He looks like one anyway lol. whatever the rest is great (altough i haven't heard everyone)

No, he's been around for a looooong time, but he is a dork and lacks greatness. Despite all of that he's pretty decent with numchucks and has some cool guitar tricks even if they are delivered in a stale fashion.

Old 2005-06-17, 15:19
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylito
I agree. That song is so good it made watching "The Stand" almost worth it.

Hahaha, YES!