MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Drums Zone

Old 2006-12-30, 02:53
drawn&quartered
Too _____, wouldn't fuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompelledToLacerate
I've been thinking of getting a second bass drum, but I kind of wanna try out the difference between playing double bass with one bass drum and two singles with two bass drums. Never played the latter before.

What do you think? Is there a difference in playing? Does it effect your playing with the whole kit? What about with just oyur double bass technique? Does it improve? Cripple? Nothing?

I would say that it would feel more natural and you would get a much bigger sound. Have fun tuning though

NEGROGENESIS

Old 2006-12-30, 03:16
CompelledToLacerate
FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Tuning wouldn't be my biggest obstacle. I've got a somewhat decent ear. Plus I mute the drumheads with a pillow inside.

The biggest problem would be the Hi hat. I'd probably have to get one of those remote cable thingies.

Keep checking for new crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
It's really sad, all those people who don't understand why we shouldn't act like our enemies. The real victory is not only killing and imprisoning the terrorists, but also letting civilized manners override the lust for revenge, once the battle is over.

Old 2006-12-30, 17:00
drawn&quartered
Too _____, wouldn't fuck

Quote:
Tuning wouldn't be my biggest obstacle. I've got a somewhat decent ear. Plus I mute the drumheads with a pillow inside.

The biggest problem would be the Hi hat. I'd probably have to get one of those remote cable thingies.

yeah you probably would have to use hydraulics for that

I don't use pillows because they make my bass too quiet, but it kind of sounds like shit. Anyways im planning on making a run to town and buying some of those 'click pads' that you can put on the head to make the bass drum sound a little more defined.

NEGROGENESIS

Old 2006-12-30, 22:34
CompelledToLacerate

I have one of those long pillows that you use to put in between your legs (It was my sisters *shudders*) and it fit the circumference of the drum, as well as the drumheads. Sounds better than with a regular pillow in there, or not pillow at all.

One time, I put socks in my tom toms...... it sounded like Jordison's toms on the S/T slipknot album. Terrible. Of course, at that time, I was into that kind of sound, and the ringing was terrible.

I forgot to also say that I have a hole cut out on my res head of the bass drum.

Quote:
It's really sad, all those people who don't understand why we shouldn't act like our enemies. The real victory is not only killing and imprisoning the terrorists, but also letting civilized manners override the lust for revenge, once the battle is over.

Old 2006-12-30, 22:43
drawn&quartered
Too _____, wouldn't fuck

Quote:
I have one of those long pillows that you use to put in between your legs (It was my sisters *shudders*) and it fit the circumference of the drum, as well as the drumheads. Sounds better than with a regular pillow in there, or not pillow at all.

One time, I put socks in my tom toms...... it sounded like Jordison's toms on the S/T slipknot album. Terrible. Of course, at that time, I was into that kind of sound, and the ringing was terrible.

I forgot to also say that I have a hole cut out on my res head of the bass drum.

is there any specific way to do that? a webpage with derections? I think i should cut a hole in mine, i just dont wanna skrew up

NEGROGENESIS

Old 2006-12-31, 08:13
CompelledToLacerate

You can get these rings that you stick on the drumhead, and just cut out the center. The ring keeps the hole from creating any small fractures that could eventually break the head.

Just apply to drumhead, adhesive side down (duh), and then get a box cutter or some blade and cut it out..... I did a crappy job cutting mine out. Didn't damnage the head, though, and it sounds good.

Quote:

Old 2006-12-31, 12:02
low-tech
Post-whore

i guess if you go with a muted , flat tone on the kick the tuning would be easier<for 2 bassdrums>.

i mean, double kick with resonance probably wouldnt sound good anyway, ive never got thin heads to try it tho.

im still having a hard time with even hits on a double kick....when i get that sort of control...then i can go for accents and stuff.

im terrible at double kick tho so its gonna take a while.

Old 2006-12-31, 18:09
drawn&quartered
Too _____, wouldn't fuck

so today i cut a hole kinda in the lower left quarter of my bass head, duct taped the hole up and put an old shirt in my bass. It sounds really good, even better with a mic, and my playing seems to be a lot let effortless and more smooth. Good stuff.

NEGROGENESIS

Old 2007-01-01, 10:21
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

I got an interesting series of messages on YouTube after posting that vid for Clarissa.

Dude: hi i watched your video and have a few questions. 1st is so the higher the tension the smoother and faster the head will go? because i see other ppl barly tap there pedal and the head is goin super fast!!! soo please msg back thx

Me: *I explain some pros and cons and direct him to a better source*

Him: hi...sooo how would i get it soo where i can tap it and its its going fast!

Me: ._O (eye explodes)

Old 2007-01-01, 17:26
drawn&quartered
Too _____, wouldn't fuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenCrimson
I got an interesting series of messages on YouTube after posting that vid for Clarissa.

Dude: hi i watched your video and have a few questions. 1st is so the higher the tension the smoother and faster the head will go? because i see other ppl barly tap there pedal and the head is goin super fast!!! soo please msg back thx

Me: *I explain some pros and cons and direct him to a better source*

Him: hi...sooo how would i get it soo where i can tap it and its its going fast!

Me: ._O (eye explodes)

was the vid the finger blasting one?

NEGROGENESIS

Old 2007-01-01, 20:24
CompelledToLacerate

No, it was Crimson's tutorial on bass pedal tension and how to alter it.

I hate fooling with the tension. Such a hassle.

Quote:

Old 2007-01-02, 01:22
drawn&quartered
Too _____, wouldn't fuck

Quote:
No, it was Crimson's tutorial on bass pedal tension and how to alter it.

I hate fooling with the tension. Such a hassle.

my pedal seems fairly easy, im assuming bass pedal tension is how much resistance you want when pressing it down. for 80$ my pulse pedal isnt to bad.

NEGROGENESIS

Old 2007-01-02, 01:25
CompelledToLacerate

The tension, I think, also makes the beater rebound back faster or slower (depending on the tension). I'm not too sure.

Quote:

Old 2007-01-02, 19:18
jimmers
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
The tension, I think, also makes the beater rebound back faster or slower (depending on the tension). I'm not too sure.

See, this is why people need to spend more time experimenting on their gear and less time reading forums. I don't mean to be rude or anything, but if you're still not sure what the springs do on a bass pedal, I think it might be time you shut the computer down and don't turn it on again until you've tried everything by yourself.

Forums are handy for sharing ideas and things, but they're no substitution for just spending time on your kit. Ignore what Derek, George, Laurel, Hardy and Bart Simpson do - they don't play your drums. You do.

Old 2007-01-03, 01:13
drawn&quartered
Too _____, wouldn't fuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmers
See, this is why people need to spend more time experimenting on their gear and less time reading forums. I don't mean to be rude or anything, but if you're still not sure what the springs do on a bass pedal, I think it might be time you shut the computer down and don't turn it on again until you've tried everything by yourself.

Forums are handy for sharing ideas and things, but they're no substitution for just spending time on your kit. Ignore what Derek, George, Laurel, Hardy and Bart Simpson do - they don't play your drums. You do.

Tell that to Clarissa, not us.

NEGROGENESIS

Old 2007-01-05, 00:10
jimmers
Senior Metalhead

No idea who Clarissa is, but I thought I made it pretty clear it was aimed at the dude who doesn't know what the spring does on his bass pedal.

Old 2007-01-07, 01:20
CompelledToLacerate

One question; what are your thoughts of having the ride cymbal on your left rather than your right but still have your kit set up for a right handed person?

I'm thinking of doing this and seeing what it'll do for me or against me, and if it works, then one day I'm going to get another ride and another hi hat so I can remain open handed the entire time. I'd have a hi hat and ride on one side and the same thing on the other. The second hi hat would be attached by a cable, but I don't know exactly how that works..... ah well, new things are cool to try.

this'll probably occur hopefully before I have to start paying car insurance again, starting in march, and I need to find out how much money I have...... I hope I win the jackpot on these bingo scratchers soon.

Quote:

Old 2007-01-07, 16:02
drawn&quartered
Too _____, wouldn't fuck

Quote:
One question; what are your thoughts of having the ride cymbal on your left rather than your right but still have your kit set up for a right handed person?

I'm thinking of doing this and seeing what it'll do for me or against me, and if it works, then one day I'm going to get another ride and another hi hat so I can remain open handed the entire time. I'd have a hi hat and ride on one side and the same thing on the other. The second hi hat would be attached by a cable, but I don't know exactly how that works..... ah well, new things are cool to try.

this'll probably occur hopefully before I have to start paying car insurance again, starting in march, and I need to find out how much money I have...... I hope I win the jackpot on these bingo scratchers soon.

I have a crashride on my left used as a crash and bell, but keep my main ride on the right. It seems like I have less control when its on the left.

NEGROGENESIS

Old 2007-01-07, 16:55
low-tech
Post-whore

Quote:

nothing wrong with it at all, alot of drummer have...basically....2 sets of cymbals<rides crashes hihats splashes chinas> that range over the kit in a way that each kind can be accessable on either side. splashes and crashes usually fill in the middle.

its just usually ends up a bit cluttered which is not my preference. but, power to you, if thats what you want to do.

Old 2007-01-07, 17:17
CompelledToLacerate

I tried it out. It feels good. More comfortable. I think I will probably get another ride or, like D&Q has, a crash ride. Something smaller though so it doesn't overshadow my popcorn snare.

Quote:

Old 2007-01-14, 15:37
drawn&quartered
Too _____, wouldn't fuck

My splash cracked. and my China is Cracking

NEGROGENESIS

Old 2007-01-20, 02:58
CompelledToLacerate

Damn. That sucks. Cracked cymbals suck becuase then you gotta replace them or repair them (I prefer the former), and if you bought them from some corporate pimpfag store (Guitar Center) you can't just return the one cymbal; gotta return all of them, so you're out of cymbals.

And I found something interesting tonight; If I leave my shoe on my right foot but take the one off my left foot, my double bass is a little clearer and smoother. Not up to where I like it, but it feels good. Just a tip for anyone interested.

Quote: