MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Metal > Bands

Old 2005-01-01, 18:17
timedragon
Legio Draconorum Orkian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaca
Either you didn't read PST's and Chris' posts or you're simply the latest dumb fuck to wander through these parts. I think it's the latter. Now fuck off back to Kalgoorlie.

what he said^^^, lesserman.

hah, some of the better riffs. oh, i must have forgot about those 2. as for the rest of your comments, they surely arnt directed towards me, because they have nothing to do with anything i said. and if you call that a rant, youre in for a surprise.

and by the way, thanks, actually i do consider myself a pretty good guitar player, cunt.

along with cloaca, i bid you FUCK OFF.

Old 2005-01-01, 22:37
Chris Rezendes
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserMan
...Next, not everyone likes there music so why such a rant ? seriously dont like dont need to tell everyone.. get a life...

...hmm... who would have thought a thread asking people why they don't like Slipknot would have posts in it by people explaining why they don't like Slipknot?! I'll be damned! So, let's get this straight- he comes up with a couple of reasons for why he doesn't like Slipknot. It was, in my opinion, a little lame, perhaps poorly worded, but definitely not an offensive or annoying post in any way. Then you, in all your infinite wisdom, come around just to chastise him for explaining why he doesn't like Slipknot in a post asking people why they don't like Slipknot. I'm guessing if one of you doesn't have a social life, it's you, dipshit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PST 88
That is a lot of mistakes. If you keep this up, you'll make most of these kids look like geniuses.

Am I the only one seriously disturbed by that?

Old 2005-01-02, 05:13
warlock_freak
Senior Metalhead
Banned

this thread can be closed. i dont care anymore. too much slipknot for my mind. i shouldnt have made this thread. Sorry, to all the smart metalheads

Old 2005-01-02, 05:14
Knight
Senior Metalhead
Banned

Actually I think the question should be, "Why does everyone like Slipknot?"

Old 2005-01-02, 05:27
PST 88
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

Because it speaks to them on an emotional level and seems to be an alternative to the soft worldview typically put forth by pop music. I can't think of something more simple to explain than why music such as Slipknot would appeal to angsty teenagers. Or, in general, to anyone who values anger in music, though I figure it appeals to fewer of those.

Thanks for your permission, warlock freak. I'm sure a mod will soon be by to serve your needs.

And no Chris, you aren't.

Old 2005-01-02, 14:40
BlackRoseImmortal
Senior Metalhead

I dont like them because people who think Slipknot are brutal metal annoy me more than any other fans of gay bands.

Old 2005-01-02, 16:51
wyldbil
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlock_freak
Why does everyone hate slipknot? im not a huge fan, but i can play 2 of their songs and enjoy it, so why cant others?

i understand they have a DJ in their band which is pretty gay, but he doesnt do much. And ok, the new slipknot album is shit. a few good songs, but not enough to make it a good album. and the guitarist is pretty basic, but its still heavy shit and i think theyre alright

P.S. i listen to black/death but some of that easier stuff is ok..

Go On...Flame me..

No flames here, just an honest opinion. Two reasons:

1)I just don't like the sound of detuned guitars. Call me overly traditional or whatever, but I just can't stand it.

2)I would rather have bamboo spikes hammered under my fingernails than listen to those "cookie monster" vocals.

Of course those things apply to plenty of bands besides Slipknot.

On the other hand, I respect the fact that you gotta listen to what appeals to YOUR ear. In fact, THAT is the most important thing. Enjoy what you like and fuck all else. If someone else doesn't like it, that's their deal and it's no sweat off your nuts. I know this will make me a total pariah on this board, but I like The Darkness a lot. Their music appeals to the only two beings whose opinions I care about- my left ear and my right ear.

ANYWAY- Go enjoy Slipknot if that's who you like, and remember that no one else's opinion matters. ENJOY!

Old 2005-01-02, 16:55
PST 88
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

Cookie Monster vocals? That's an epithet usually reserved for death metal vocals. I've heard Slipknot do one of those hardcore scream dealies, but not death metal vocals, and I think I've heard pretty much every Slipknot song. But maybe not.

Aside from that, cool. I don't think you should get shit for liking the Darkness.

Old 2005-01-02, 17:58
ManOwaR
Post-whore

I really like the darkness...

Old 2005-01-03, 05:36
melodicdeath
New Blood

Eh, Slipknot IMO isn't horrible, but way overrated. And they seem capable of so much mroe, but just haven't gotten there yet. Vol. 3 showed that they can do more and was a big step up from Iowa, but it isn't too great compared to what's already out there.

Old 2005-01-03, 05:39
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

COOKIE MONSTER VOCALS!!! AHAHahahahaha Slipknot with cookie monster vocals might even gain my appreciation!

Old 2005-01-03, 16:03
MetalThrashingMad
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserMan
As for th remarks of joey being a shit drummer i simply laugh..

Yeah me too. He makes shit drumming look good. Damn those people calling him a shit drummer. He is ultra-shit at LEAST.

Old 2005-01-05, 20:43
Seasons in the Abyss
Metalhead

The problem with kids these days is that they turn on their television sets for musical needs. Slipknot is no exception to the sugar coated bands some watch, but I don't have any conflicting issues with the people who listen to them. If someone were to approach me in ways that many nu - metal newbies do, an apathic chuckle is all that comes from me.

Between those bands and their fans, I'd say the fans are the ones who show the most emotion and interest musically.

Last edited by Seasons in the Abyss : 2005-01-05 at 20:49.

Old 2005-01-05, 20:45
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

let me bring you guys back to basics:

Slipknot Sucks.

Old 2005-01-05, 21:04
Rapture
The Stings of Conscience

i'd like to go back to what PST was saying, just to reitterate: Slipknot disappoints me, because they seem so good at times. i hear double bass, i hear decent riffs at times, and Corey's primal scream works at times. then, they shit all over every small ounce of goodness they once had.

Old 2005-01-06, 10:05
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

I don't care for them, I even saw them live for two songs and ran away to get beer and stay with 'beer'.

seriously, I can't stand their music and their horrible lyrics. sure they might be talented but their whole act just ruins it first, they could do a lot better. most of their fans seem retarded too, not all, but like 90% in general, which are 14 year old kids wearing slipknot sweaters and chains. one thing that is good about slipknot is that it's a step up for some kids to listen to real metal.

Old 2005-01-06, 18:51
slayme_returns
BUY OUR FIRST RELEASE $5
Alumni Staff

Not necessarily referring to you here, Def, but it makes me laugh when kids crack on Slipknot's lyrics. These same kids who listen to some of the absolute worst lyrics on the planet that are in 99% of extreme metal bands.

As for your crack on Slipknot fans appearance...again, same can be said about the other crowd. A Slipknot fan wearing a band shirt and chains is any different than a Mayhem fan walking around with corpsepaint and spike leather gauntlets? Nigga please.

We covered this already, if you don't dig the music then that's your call. Don't bag on the ridiculousness of their fans when the fans of everything else are just as horrible and stupid.

Metal fans in general are fucking morons.

Old 2005-01-06, 18:55
FearFrost
The Mountie From Hell

SLAYME!!!

Old 2005-01-06, 19:01
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

ofcourse they are but then again, I hardly listen to metal alone. Actually, I think 20% of my cd collection is metal, the rest is just anything else, ranging from classic rock to blues and all the way to drum'n'bass, haha.

slipknot's fans apperance must be worse over here then anywhere. luckily enough we do not have a lot of 'big alternative bands' on tv. the only beeing Slipknot over here just tends to attract big masses of kids that love to dress up with bright yellow and bright blue spikes and chains that are bigger then their arms.
It's not like you see a Mayhem fan here on a daily basis, but you do see around 20 slipknot kiddies over here every day, which just gets annoying. especially when you hear them talk about cutting goats and shit, how lame is that? Ofcourse, mayhem fans with corpsepaint and spike leather gauntlests are rediculous too. just like fat goth chicks, just to bring something up

Metal bands in general do have horrible lyrics, I agree with that. I can't really appreciate metal lyrics in most cases but then again, there are some exceptions (indeed, not beeing the extreme metal you're talking about) But have you read Slipknot's lyrics? come on, they just make me want to throw up, millions of cliché's and so called bad-ass-ness. It's like it has to be like their apperance. the whole masks thing pisses me off, not only for Slipknot, look at the Berzeker, Mushroomhead, etc. It's an act, metal shouldn't be a fucking fashion show...

Old 2005-01-06, 19:10
slayme_returns
BUY OUR FIRST RELEASE $5
Alumni Staff

You missed my point somewhat. I wasn't singling you out, just borrowing some of your points and expanding on them. I know you're not one of the dolts that's confined to all extreme metal or all this or all that, I know that. I'm the same way as well, but alot of the kids on this board are not and that's who I was directing it at.

I have read Slipknot's lyrics, and while they can definitely be considered juvenile in some respects, I don't really think they're bad to the point that I'd throw up. That's beside the point though, forget that.

All I'm hoping to accomplish by even posting anything at all in this thread is maybe, just maybe some metal dork here will pull their head out of the ground and look around at the world around him/her. There's alot more in the music world than this shit. There's alot more to do in music than just bitch about someone elses taste.

Old 2005-01-06, 19:36
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

I know, just wanted to clear myself up.

slipknot is not the only shitty (imo) so-called metal band out there, actually, there must be some that are way worse. they only catch a lot of flak because they're in the media and a have a lot of fans.

Anyways, it's kind of a retarded thread, just look at my first reply, I tried to pull something out of anyone here and nobody had a decent reply, untill now. so actually, your reply was more then I expected. The kid's just asking for reasons why slipknot is so hated. everybody is entitled to their own opinion, as in music, as in dressing up, though the risk is you'll get critiqued or slagged off. that's someone else's opinion. Most mentioned here is all stuff you can expect in a slipknot thread, but if you start a let say, Deftones thread, the replies may be less agressive because they're less reasons to hate them.
I think most metalheads just have a problem with slipknot kids running around screaming 'tr00 metal brwaaagh!' and shit like that. I couldn't care less, I like watching people making fools out of themselves (be it slipknot fans, gothics, etc. it's all fun)
I don't have a problem with slipknot, yet, I don't like them and most of their fans can annoy the shit out of me, I can't say their not talented musicians, though I don't like their music. Saying slipknot sucks because their guitarist can't play for shit is an example of something that just doens't fly. their last album has pretty good guitar work even, not that I'm into it, but at least I gave it a listen.

Old 2005-01-06, 19:49
slayme_returns
BUY OUR FIRST RELEASE $5
Alumni Staff

/end of thread

Old 2005-01-06, 19:59
THEdude
New Blood

Post what i think

alright ive read all the replys some have points some dont in my selection of mettal i got slipknot under bands that dont suck

Old 2005-01-06, 20:39
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

I couldn't understand a word of that mess you call a sentence.

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn

Old 2005-01-07, 02:41
Chris Rezendes
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayme_returns
Metal fans in general are fucking morons.

People in general are fucking morons, metal fans or not. It doesn't stop the idiocy from being damned annoying, but it's easier to keep things in perspective when you accept or acknowledge this fact.

Old 2005-01-07, 02:44
Rapture
The Stings of Conscience

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
I couldn't understand a word of that mess you call a sentence.

but he used a lot of smilies, so it doesnt matter. hes right

Old 2005-01-07, 07:51
John Holland
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Banned

I don't think the backlash against Slipknot is necessarily Slipknot's fault. They have been overexposed and turned into a modern cliche. When contrasted against the currently popular "metal" acts of today ( Godsmack, Korn, etc. ), one can easily see the vast marketing potential, and one can also easily see why your average 14 year old would view this as "extreme brutal metal", or whatever. They strike me as striving so hard to fit a certain image, priding themselves on novelty, that it turns into contrivance and a derivation of themselves. Now as to wether or not the band members themselves are attempting to cater to the "teenybopper" demographic, so to say, I find it difficult to believe that a band throwing around human feces on stage/lighting each other on fire is out to win friends among the general populace.

But still, as a whole I believe the Slipknot catalogue has a lackluster glow compared to what we might call "real" metal.

Old 2005-01-12, 01:48
Zombie Clown
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity
No skill. Not heavy. It's rap for fucks sake. The singer actually raps all the lyrics. Dumb band.

this is true mostly for their first album, their second album is a more basic metal sound (eg less rap) and the new album, goddamn, is a halirious attempt to acheive a truer sound

Old 2005-01-12, 01:50
Zombie Clown
Metalhead

one more thing about nu-metal in general, at least modern "popmetal" is better than that of the 80's

Old 2005-01-12, 03:45
Cloaca
C-Un(i)t
Forum Leader

No it ain't.

Old 2005-01-12, 16:45
metal!!(!!)
New Blood

Slipknot

People hate Slipknot because their first album sucks. I first heard "Iowa", and I really liked it, its much heavier and better than their first album. When I heard their fist album i didn't like it that much. The new album is brilliant because they have almost no DJ shit, and they have solos.

Old 2005-01-12, 22:42
MoonRaven
Lo, they do call to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal!!(!!)
People hate Slipknot because their first album sucks. I first heard "Iowa", and I really liked it, its much heavier and better than their first album. When I heard their fist album i didn't like it that much. The new album is brilliant because they have almost no DJ shit, and they have solos.

nobody cares, i dont hate the band, i hate their music, BUT, as it has been stated many times before by various people in this thread, i dont mind them because they are a stepping stone into metal, a gateway drug, if you will, they were prolly the first heavy band i got into, hell i think i still have the burned copy of iowa that i played nonstop for like 2 weeks.

Old 2005-01-12, 22:54
andrewc
Post-whore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Clown
one more thing about nu-metal in general, at least modern "popmetal" is better than that of the 80's

motley crue, poison, bon jovi, guns'n'roses: possibly.

slayer, metallica, megadeth, testament: fuck off.

Old 2005-01-12, 22:59
MoonRaven
Lo, they do call to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc
motley crue, poison, bon jovi, guns'n'roses: possibly.

slayer, metallica, megadeth, testament: fuck off.

he was talking about the "popmetal" of the 80's, like Poison, Wasp, and shit like that.
he wasnt talking about slayer

Last edited by MoonRaven : 2005-01-12 at 23:01.

Old 2005-01-14, 02:00
Zombie Clown
Metalhead

godamn, anyone who associates slayer with the term "popmetal" should die
and yes, i meant the "hair metal" genre like bon jovi and ratt, compared to, oh, say kittie and rob zombie