angus young

http://hosting01.hotchyx.com/adult-...pad_and_pat.jpg

Old 2007-05-12, 03:36
TangledMortalCoil
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRO
Anyone dead really.

This is what i hear a lot, DIMEBAG!!!!!! WE WILL NEVER FORGETTTT!!! YOU WERE THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME!!!!

Jesus Christ, shut the fuck up.

Hes good but fuck, people hype him up wayyyy too much.

amen! i have respect for what he did and all, but i got sick and tired of pantera about 12 years back. plus when people say RIP Dime, it's pretty much the equivalent of people who type "LOL " and shit like that.. immediately i think they are an idiot.. not that my opinion matters, i'm just saying.

Old 2007-05-12, 13:13
Mordor
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAD
Jason Becker > Douche Bag Pirate

jason becker is not a douche bag, your a fucking dickhead for saying that,

Sold my shit, now its time to PARTY!!!!!

Old 2007-05-12, 13:20
JOAMdude
Post-whore

wow just incredible how half-witted people are

Old 2007-05-12, 15:48
graduallymelted
Metalhead

Now let's get one thing straight. Diamond Darrell is getting the credit he deserves. No one kept metal on the map like Pantera in the 90s. They paved the way for all those pussy ass New metal bands you guys like. You cannot overrate someone for sticking to his guns and just keeping it real, regardless if you like pantera or not.

Old 2007-05-12, 16:38
ZRO
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by graduallymelted
Now let's get one thing straight. Diamond Darrell is getting the credit he deserves. No one kept metal on the map like Pantera in the 90s. They paved the way for all those pussy ass New metal bands you guys like. You cannot overrate someone for sticking to his guns and just keeping it real, regardless if you like pantera or not.

He doesnt deserve THAT much credit.

He is blown out of proportion.

Very good guitarist though.

Old 2007-05-12, 16:51
_harris
Senior Metalhead

With respect to Dime, he was awesome on guitar, from the start, but I HATE the way that 'metal' and guitar magazines always like 'OMG HE WAS THE BESTEST! WE ALL LOVE HIM', fuck off mate! He was bloody good, wrote some fucking killer metal, and thats what I see him as, a really good metal guitar player not some shiny golden man on a silver mountain who saved the world from posers and wimps... lol

Anyways, thats how I see it

Thrash Metal from Somerset!!!!!

BANGERS & THRASH!!!!!!! UK Thrash compilation CD, awesome bands, awesome tracks!!!

Old 2007-05-12, 17:41
The Doctor
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

i think the fact that he died so tragicly helped this hype; i'm disliking it as well but as you said; he wrote some goddamn powerful music and thats why i admire him.

back to the subject; the iron maiden guitarists are overrated

Old 2007-05-12, 19:21
TangledMortalCoil
Senior Metalhead

^ agreed. last time i checked, steve harris writes just about everything and probably gets no credit.

Old 2007-05-12, 20:37
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

If you look in the CD sleeve, you'll notice that he gets the credits....

Old 2007-05-12, 22:36
The Doctor
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

oeh and i really HATE the way he forces festivals to give his daugther a slot at the main stage when maiden plays

Old 2007-05-13, 02:20
Opeth_Rules_All
Metalhead

Kerry King
Kirk Hammett
And, although more of classic hard rock, Angus Young.

All three are worshipped, yet I just don't see it. I mean, they're good, don't get me wrong, but the best? I think not.
Feel the doom of haunting chants

Old 2007-05-13, 10:47
guitariste
Senior Metalhead

I am.

Old 2007-05-13, 16:52
graduallymelted
Metalhead

Adrian Smith!!! come on guys, he fucking was Iron Maiden.
How can you say that they were overratted when they came out in the 70s. Jimmi Hendrix, Randy rhodes, they were metal pioneers. Thats just like saying Toni Iomi is overratted.

Old 2007-05-13, 18:31
garr1
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangledMortalCoil
^ agreed. last time i checked, steve harris writes just about everything and probably gets no credit.

he gets credit where credit is due
which is pretty much every maiden song
if you actually look in the booklets that is.
Preserved in time for all to see,
No brave new world, no brave new world,
Lost in this place, and leave no trace.

iron maiden - stranger in a strange land

Old 2007-05-13, 18:33
garr1
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
i think the fact that he died so tragicly helped this hype; i'm disliking it as well but as you said; he wrote some goddamn powerful music and thats why i admire him.

back to the subject; the iron maiden guitarists are overrated

nice joke
Preserved in time for all to see,
No brave new world, no brave new world,
Lost in this place, and leave no trace.

iron maiden - stranger in a strange land

Old 2007-05-13, 18:52
Arsis
Supreme Metalhead

Zakk wylde panetonic stuff is easy and gets old after doing it as muchas he does although i like when u see vids of him on youtube doing it clean

Kirk hammet

Old 2007-05-13, 23:59
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

If anyone said Iommi is overrated, he's not. I just saw him at H&H tour, he's fucking amazing.

Old 2007-05-14, 00:47
TangledMortalCoil
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by garr1
he gets credit where credit is due
which is pretty much every maiden song
if you actually look in the booklets that is.

i guess i was misunderstood. i think there's just a problem in general that most people think either the singer or the lead guitarist is the mastermind behind any band, and maiden is probably a good example of this. but i'm getting off topic since i'm really talking about writing, not playing.

Old 2007-05-14, 01:02
Opeth_Rules_All
Metalhead

Quote:
Adrian Smith!!! come on guys, he fucking was Iron Maiden.
How can you say that they were overratted when they came out in the 70s. Jimmi Hendrix, Randy rhodes, they were metal pioneers. Thats just like saying Toni Iomi is overratted.

lol OK:
1) It's Jimi Hendrix.
2) Iron Maiden were around in the 70's, but they didn't release their first album until 1980.
3) It's Toni Iommi.
4) Jimi Hendrix was not metal, and did in no way pioneer heavy metal music. He played soulful funk-ish hippie music. (Not saying he was bad, just not even close to metal.)
5) Randy Rhodes was a good guitarist, but not a metal pioneer. He was a founding member of Quiet Riot, but wasn't really noticed until his days with Ozzy, which wasn't until 1979.

Old 2007-05-14, 01:40
estringrev
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsis
Zakk wylde panetonic stuff is easy and gets old after doing it as muchas he does although i like when u see vids of him on youtube doing it clean

Kirk hammet

This is probably a more personal thing, but I hate Zakk Wylde's guitar playing, he is like a less creative Dimebag.

Kirk Hammet on the other hand, has some annoying leads and some other ones that are very good, so like said before in the thread, the only people who overrate him are Metallica fans.

Old 2007-05-14, 01:51
Arsis
Supreme Metalhead

i wuold disagree on ZW being a less creative version of dime
i see no simularity. zakk has way more boring riffs

Old 2007-05-14, 03:12
PST 88
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

Adrian Smith and Bruce Dickinson wrote most of my favorite Iron Maiden songs, Steve Harris's monopoly on songwriting ended around Piece of Mind and was sustained by a pretty easy-to-catch formula (which is to say that the band got better and better as the other members played a more active role in the songwriting), and without knowing how the band determines songwriting credit it's hard to say how much of the guitar parts can be considered written by the credited songwriter. So I'd have to say your reason for the Maiden guitarists being overrated is pretty flimsy. Which is not to say that they aren't, but that you haven't given a good reason for why they are.

Zakk's a less interesting version of himself fifteen years ago. So was Dime before he died, by the way. So are lots of people. It's hard to fulfill audience expectations and keep fresh at the same time. Most famous guitarists are also pretty overrated, but it doesn't mean too much. Not many of them out-and-out suck.

Old 2007-05-14, 03:35
Chris Rezendes
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casketcrusher
Yeah I forgot Dimebag as well.

Also I find Muhhumad overatted cause it seems he writes the same song over and over again. Same with Pat O Brien. They try and cram too much into it and the songs I find never really go anywhere. It's just the same minor runs over and over and the solos are just sweep fests. It's not even song writting it's just wanking

How does that make them overrated guitarists? If one were to assume your points correct, it would make them overrated songwriters. It should be noted that Webster writes most of CC's music and always has.

Old 2007-05-14, 03:38
Arsis
Supreme Metalhead

How is muhhamed overated? that guy owns and im the only one in my town who knows who he is lol.
EDIT: nevermind i see your point i didnt read it all my bad

Old 2007-05-14, 04:01
Casketcrusher
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rezendes
How does that make them overrated guitarists? If one were to assume your points correct, it would make them overrated songwriters. It should be noted that Webster writes most of CC's music and always has.

True but we are talking about guitarists not bands. I am saying Pat's songs. The ones he writes. Not all of CC's songs

Truer words were never spoken.

Old 2007-05-14, 04:06
Chris Rezendes
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opeth_Rules_All
4) Jimi Hendrix was not metal, and did in no way pioneer heavy metal music. He played soulful funk-ish hippie music. (Not saying he was bad, just not even close to metal.)

Your kidding yourself if you don't think Hendrix didn't contribute to the future metal scene with songs like Purple Haze, Foxy Lady, Voodoo Child, and All Along the Watchtower, then you just aren't in tune with the history of metal. There were lots of non-metal bands that contributed heavily to the genre, and the three most significant are probably Hendrix, Cream, and Zeppelin if you don't consider Zep to be metal.

Old 2007-05-14, 04:13
Chris Rezendes
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casketcrusher
True but we are talking about guitarists not bands. I am saying Pat's songs. The ones he writes. Not all of CC's songs

Fair enough. That would still make him an overrated songwriter and not an overrated guitarist, which was my main point.

Old 2007-05-14, 04:29
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

Rhoads.....fucking R-H-O-A-D-S.......not Rhodes, Rhoades, Roads.

Zakk is not overrated. If you don't like his music, that's fine, I like Zakk but I'll be one of the first to say that he has been so friggin redundant over the years, that he's boring to listen to. However, listening to his earlier stuff, it is not overrated at all. The guy was fairly original, amazing technique and chops (especially with picking), improvising is great, great wide vibrato, etc. If you were jamming with the guy, I doubt you'd be calling him overrated.

Last edited by Silent Night 6 6 : 2007-05-14 at 04:34.

Old 2007-05-14, 07:28
PST 88
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

His entire career is under consideration, not just the highest points of it. Nobody's overrated if you only selectively cull their best work and pretend the worst isn't there; they're always highly rated because they had something that was very good. They get to be 'overrated' because most of it isn't that good. Zakk is definitely overrated.

I'd say Pat and Suicmez are overrated as guitarists because they have technique without complement; even if neither of them wrote any songs, they don't have much going for them other than technique. And while it's impressive technique, I have a lot of trouble believing that good technique is the same as good guitar playing.

Old 2007-05-14, 07:57
estringrev
Supreme Metalhead

Having good technique certainly is a big part of being a good guitarist, along with having a good sense of tonality, being able to improvise, being able to play other styles of music, and knowing what the hell you're doing.

Alot of guitarist get by without being the best at all of that, such as Hendrix, so I guess it really all comes down to whether you sound good or not.

Old 2007-05-14, 09:22
PST 88
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

Technique is a means. Having good technique opens many possibilities, but that doesn't matter much if you ignore them. There are tons of great guitarists who have impeccable technique, but they're dwarfed by the number of guitarists with impeccable technique who, nevertheless, suck balls.

Old 2007-05-14, 10:11
estringrev
Supreme Metalhead

I completely agree with you Youtube further confirms your comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Night 6 6
Rhoads.....fucking R-H-O-A-D-S.......not Rhodes, Rhoades, Roads.

Zakk is not overrated. If you don't like his music, that's fine, I like Zakk but I'll be one of the first to say that he has been so friggin redundant over the years, that he's boring to listen to. However, listening to his earlier stuff, it is not overrated at all. The guy was fairly original, amazing technique and chops (especially with picking), improvising is great, great wide vibrato, etc. If you were jamming with the guy, I doubt you'd be calling him overrated.

I've heard stuff from him that was decent, but usually he just wanks that motherfucking pentatonic scale, over and over again, and when he's not doing that he's trying to sing, or does shit people in the genre he's trying to invade, does better.

I haven't heard any of his older stuff, just the stuff that appears on mtv, or on radio stations, and it's always bad, with the exception of a couple riffs in a song.

Jamming is a completely different story.

On that note, I hate Yngwie almost as much as Zakk, I can't say he's overrated though. He certainly has done more that I like than Zakk, but I'd rather be listening to a lesser known guitarist that's better than them both, than either of the two.

Last edited by estringrev : 2007-05-14 at 10:14.

Old 2007-05-14, 15:12
graduallymelted
Metalhead

This thread is fucking stupid. I'm sick of all these little kids running there mouths.
THe true metal pioneers:
Black Sabbath, Alice Cooper, TEd Nugent, Kiss, Led Zeplin, Jimi Hendix, Iron butterfly, Quit Riot, Pink Floyd,.... oh yeah zz-top.
None of these bands were overratted and if you guys think so you better go through away all of your Cd's.
Chris , Maybe we should start a new thread to edjucate these fuckers?

Old 2007-05-14, 16:25
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

Spell check rly?

Old 2007-05-15, 04:14
TangledMortalCoil
Senior Metalhead

half drunken rant, beware!

i think maybe there is some confusion on the source of most guitarist worship. just to give this thread some perspective.. most of the time, the "overrated-ness" comes from ignorant people making judgments about guitarists, especially fans who don't play (and there's nothing wrong with them as i was one for years and we've all been one at some point). on the flip side, there is nothing worse than the kid who gets some half-decent chops and is suddenly cutting down their previous idols at any chance.. especially kirk hammet, zakk wylde, and even muhammed. that ain't right, that is just sheer cockyness (see the flight of icarus?). as for the pros who are constantly attacked, these are people who have achieved such high levels of proficiency that they no longer feel like their dick is too small if they aren't playing the most complex shit ever. furthermore, the most technically proficient bands will never be recognized. i hope this is no shock to anyone, but few people outside of this forum ever heard of cynic, gorguts, or psycroptic, and while i respect all these bands (mainly gorguts) i know they have failed in making "the ratings" (since that is what this thread is about, after all). yeah they get props on here, but it seems like this thread is complaining about the players who are overrated in general. i guess my point is that this thread is kind of moot, because being overrated generally comes from the common pop-like rockstar sensibility in fans, and not the knowledgeable perspective of guitar players. you want overrated?? how about the green day guy? but why do people worship him? for his chops? i doubt it, it's for the bubble-gum anthems he writes. so just about anyone mentioned here who is no virtuoso is probably either a great songwriter or they work for one, and/or they got a bag of tricks that non-guitarists are continuously amazed by. i remember thinking early on that if i could get "that sound" (which turned out to be fast two-hand tapping) that i would have achieved so much, but it turns out that is not really satisfying once you realize how simple it can be. ignorance is to blame.

Old 2007-05-15, 04:24
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

Greenday? I don't know anyone that worships him except for beginner/non guitarists.

Old 2007-05-15, 04:24
TangledMortalCoil
Senior Metalhead

that was my point

EDIT: given the short-attention spans and laziness of today, beginners probably make up over 99% of guitarists

Last edited by TangledMortalCoil : 2007-05-15 at 04:32.

Old 2007-05-15, 16:17
Opeth_Rules_All
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangledMortalCoil
i remember thinking early on that if i could get "that sound" (which turned out to be fast two-hand tapping) that i would have achieved so much, but it turns out that is not really satisfying once you realize how simple it can be. ignorance is to blame.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. People think you're the most amazing thing ever, but your own mind is saying "oh please, you're nothing special."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Night 6 6
Spell check rly?

My thoughts exactly. "Hendix." Look who really needs to be "edjucated."

Old 2007-05-15, 17:20
graduallymelted
Metalhead

Yeah but at least green day isnt pissing on their fans like Metallica

Old 2007-05-15, 18:22
widdlywhaa
Metalhead

I think I need to agree here with MortalCoil, especialy on the point of begginer and non-musicans worshipping the ground that lesser musicians walk on just because they write a radio friendly song that gets played a million times. most of the real overrated guitarists aren't even in the metal genre.

In fact anytime I give a lesson I make it a point to try and introduce my students to musicians like Jason Becker, Paul Gilbert, Marty Friedman, Joe Stump, Chris Impellitteri and bands Like Necrophagist, Symphony X, Dream Theater(It suprises me how many people don't know them), and Cacophony.

Old 2007-05-15, 19:02
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by widdlywhaa
I think I need to agree here with MortalCoil, especialy on the point of begginer and non-musicans worshipping the ground that lesser musicians walk on just because they write a radio friendly song that gets played a million times. most of the real overrated guitarists aren't even in the metal genre.

In fact anytime I give a lesson I make it a point to try and introduce my students to musicians like Jason Becker, Paul Gilbert, Marty Friedman, Joe Stump, Chris Impellitteri and bands Like Necrophagist, Symphony X, Dream Theater(It suprises me how many people don't know them), and Cacophony.

Dream Theater isn't exactly the most accessible thing. No offense if you like them, this is just my opinion, but Joe Stump...urgh....

Old 2007-05-15, 19:02
graduallymelted
Metalhead

How about the most underrated guitarist?

Old 2007-05-15, 19:11
graduallymelted
Metalhead

Lets see.... so your 15 which means you Know what you read about these bands. thats about it.

To me... someone who was raised on Cradle of Filth And Mussuga Can't sit there and rag on Hendrix and Iron Maiden

Last edited by graduallymelted : 2007-05-16 at 02:47.

Old 2007-05-15, 20:47
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

Dbl. spell check rly?.......and all you have to do is press the friggin "quote", you don't have to type it back up.

Old 2007-05-15, 21:23
Opeth_Rules_All
Metalhead

Quote:

Lets see.... so your 15 which means you Know what you read about these bands. thats about it.
To me... someone who was raised on Cradle of Filth And Mussuga Can't sit there and rag on Hendrix and Iron Maiden

OK, lets see here:
1) You're a 22 year old who spells like a 5 year old.
2) It's spelled Meshuggah.
3) I never mentioned Meshuggah anywhere under my favorite artists, and have never even said I liked them in a single post.
4) How the fuck does my age show anything about what I know? You know nothing about me. I listen to and read about the bands I like.
5) I never ragged on Iron Maiden. I like them.
6) I never ragged on Hendrix either. You're the one who don't know how to spell his fucking name.

Now, do us a favor, and fuck off.

Old 2007-05-15, 21:49
Pr0az
Post-whore

Quote:
You're the one who don't know how

slipping into nigbonics....enough said

Old 2007-05-15, 22:25
Arsis
Supreme Metalhead

Your 15?

Old 2007-05-15, 22:48
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

Quote:
Your 15?

"You're"....

Old 2007-05-15, 23:37
ZRO
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Your 15?

This post reminds me of the Misc.

Old 2007-05-15, 23:58
graduallymelted
Metalhead

Quote:
OK, lets see here:
1) You're a 22 year old who spells like a 5 year old.
2) It's spelled Meshuggah.
3) I never mentioned Meshuggah anywhere under my favorite artists, and have never even said I liked them in a single post.
4) How the fuck does my age show anything about what I know? You know nothing about me. I listen to and read about the bands I like.
5) I never ragged on Iron Maiden. I like them.
6) I never ragged on Hendrix either. You're the one who don't know how to spell his fucking name.

Now, do us a favor, and fuck off.

Who gives a shit

Old 2007-05-16, 00:22
Opeth_Rules_All
Metalhead

^I was pointing out the fact that your post made no sense at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr0az
slipping into nigbonics....enough said

No, I just live in North Carolina.

Old 2007-05-16, 00:33
Arsis
Supreme Metalhead

im cofused lol whats the misc? as in miscellaneous lol?

Old 2007-05-16, 01:44
ZRO
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
im cofused lol whats the misc? as in miscellaneous lol?

If i told you that would be spaming.

Old 2007-05-16, 02:13
Pr0az
Post-whore

Quote:
^I was pointing out the fact that your post made no sense at all.

No, I just live in North Carolina.

What part?!?!?!

Old 2007-05-16, 03:32
TangledMortalCoil
Senior Metalhead

Quote:

i don't know what's funnier, the fact that you said "Mussuga" or the fact that your post is EDITED and it STILL says "Mussuga" ??

but i love your username.. deeds!!

Old 2007-05-16, 15:46
Keyersoze
New Blood

Kerry is the best

Old 2007-05-16, 21:14
Opeth_Rules_All
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyersoze
Kerry is the best

The best at being an overrated guitarist, yes.

Old 2007-05-16, 21:33
Pr0az
Post-whore

Quote:
The best at being an overrated guitarist, yes.

What part of NC are you from?

Old 2007-05-17, 00:58
Opeth_Rules_All
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr0az
What part of NC are you from?

Montgomery County, if you know where that is. (I'm about 25 miles south of Asheboro.) I'm assuming you live in NC also?

Old 2007-05-17, 02:55
Pr0az
Post-whore

Na i live in SC right on the NC SC state line...

Old 2007-05-23, 00:19
ZRO
Senior Metalhead

Bump, any other guitarists who are overrated?

Old 2007-05-25, 00:37
the_bleeding
Post-whore

is john petrucci metal? because i think he looks damn faggy in his cardigan on the dimarzio website. I loled.

Oh and of course, nobody is mre overrated than that hot chick... http://www.endlesswar.net/SOB/gfx/n..._Laiho_2006.jpg
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2007-05-27, 14:09
ulrichmc
Senior Metalhead

First of all, to anyone who thinks Hendrix is overrated, get a clue. He is easily the most important rock guitarist in history. Period. No man has had a larger impact on the world of hard rock guitar. Sure others came along who were more technically adept, but Hendrix paved the way. And his influence alone makes him deserving of all the credit he is given. And if you don't think he was a major player in the evolution of rock into the harder, heavier side of things, then you could use a serious brushing up on your music history.

Then to those who say anybody who has died is overrated, that's got to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. Of course they get more attention from the general public after death, and are often put on a pedestal, but how can you hold that against them? That's just stupid. Sure Dime became much more of a household name after he died. Does that make him a worse guitar player? Fuck no, it doesn't. When he wanted to, Dime could shred with the best of them. More importantly, he wrote interesting music, not the stale, repetitive shit of say Yngwie (who I would say is the most overrated guitarist). Who cares how fast he can play? The wow factor wears off in about 30 seconds, then comes the factor.

Finally, this whole topic is pointless. You always see topics like this. "Who's the best/worst/most overrated/underrated guitar player?" But you can't necessarily say that this one guy is the better than that guy because you can't compare a player like Hendrix to a player like EVH, or a guy like Stevie Ray to say Kerry King. It just doesn't make sense. Even within the metal genres, you can't compare Iommi to Alexi Laiho, etc... The best guitar players (the best musicians, actually), in my opinion, are the guys who excel at whatever particular style they play. And I don't mean excel as in technique necessarily. You can't hide poor musicianship behind awe-inspiring chops, though some try (*cough*Yngwie*cough*).

Okay, enough of my drunken ranting, I need sleep.
Where is the invisible line that we must draw to create individual thought?

Old 2007-05-27, 14:29
Soeru
Post-whore

I don't think Dimebag wrote a substantial amount of interesting music, hence I insist he is an overrated musician, and did so well before he even died.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2007-05-27, 17:25
BOB_ZE_METALLEU
the siamese

Alexi Laiho....I have seen alot of better guitarist and he is one of the famous at the moment....his miusic sounds good, but...not more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassbehemoth
Sick. It's an overly sugared and overly carbonated vagina drink.

Old 2007-05-27, 21:18
the_bleeding
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulrichmc
blahblahblah hendrix blah blah im drunk

quit whining. anybody who takes anybody seriously on the interbuttz should get out more often.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2007-05-27, 23:02
ZRO
Senior Metalhead

Chris Arp and Buckethead

What do you think of these guys?

Dont sugarcoat your opinion since Arp is a member here.

Old 2007-05-28, 00:50
graduallymelted
Metalhead

Yngwie Johann Malmsteen was the shit

Old 2007-05-28, 02:59
estringrev
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRO
What do you think of these guys?

Dont sugarcoat your opinion since Arp is a member here.

Chris Arp is a member here?

Old 2007-05-28, 03:05
ZRO
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by estringrev
Chris Arp is a member here?

Yeah, and i have no fucking clue why i posted that here, i thought i clicked new thread.

its like arpmandude or somthing.

Old 2007-05-28, 19:24
Requiem
Post-whore

Dime Bag Darell, the fags from Slipknot, and guy from Between the Burried and me.

Old 2007-05-29, 08:04
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

If anything, Mick Thompson is underrated since he's usually only judged on his recorded material.

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn

Old 2007-05-29, 14:55
estringrev
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem
Dime Bag Darell, the fags from Slipknot, and guy from Between the Burried and me.

The guy from Between the Buried and me is not overrated and he's definitely not overrated in comparison to the first two guys you mentioned.

From what I've heard that guy can play very well, and can write some interesting stuff.

Old 2007-05-29, 15:02
Demigod
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulrichmc
Hendrix is overrated

i thought i would edit that quote to what it should've said and also Jimmy Page is overated Led Zeppelin = boring

Old 2007-05-29, 16:31
JOAMdude
Post-whore

no, led zeppelin isn't boring

Old 2007-05-31, 02:14
belphegor79
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding

Oh and of course, nobody is mre overrated than that hot chick... http://www.endlesswar.net/SOB/gfx/n..._Laiho_2006.jpg

I wouldn't fuck her with your dick. That's uglier than that CC Deville chick.

Old 2007-05-31, 07:41
ulrichmc
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Jimmy Page is overated Led Zeppelin = boring

Led Zeppelin is the shit
Jimmy Page " " "

Last edited by ulrichmc : 2007-05-31 at 08:31.

Old 2007-05-31, 18:12
BOB_ZE_METALLEU
the siamese

ALEXI LAIHO.....Michael Angelo, Dime bag darrell, Herman Lee (dragon fag force)

Quote:

Old 2007-06-01, 01:04
estringrev
Supreme Metalhead

I don't know if Michael Angelo is overrated, he's certainly better than Yngwie IMO, and probably is not given as much credit. I can agree with Herman Lee from the live vids I've seen.

Paul Gilbert is the shit, not once mentioned in an "overrated guitar" thread. Got to be a miracle, considering people mentioned Jimi Hendrix and other names that shouldn't have touched this thread.

Now if only he started playing more metal music.

Old 2007-06-01, 01:39
BOB_ZE_METALLEU
the siamese

Paul Gilbert is a really good guitarist, well when i say overrated, it's not positive! lollll

Quote:

Old 2007-06-01, 05:41
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by estringrev
I don't know if Michael Angelo is overrated, he's certainly better than Yngwie IMO, and probably is not given as much credit. I can agree with Herman Lee from the live vids I've seen.

Paul Gilbert is the shit, not once mentioned in an "overrated guitar" thread. Got to be a miracle, considering people mentioned Jimi Hendrix and other names that shouldn't have touched this thread.

Now if only he started playing more metal music.

I don't understand what you're saying, are you saying "he's shit", or "he's THE shit?" And what's this nonsense about him and metal?

Old 2007-06-01, 06:01
estringrev
Supreme Metalhead

I'm saying he's THE shit., and I heard some of his recent stuff, most of it isn't metal. I'm not saying it isn't good though.

His most recent album is "Get out of my Yard" which I definitely liked, but the tracks that are metal, don't really compare to stuff he did with Racer X, like Scarified. "Curse of the Castle Dragon" was the only track on the new album that I thought fit the bill as being metal.

But yeah, Paul Gilbert is one of my favorite guitarist.

Old 2007-06-07, 07:01
CuddlyScamp
Metalhead

Dave Mustaine....

Old 2007-06-08, 00:33
ulrichmc
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuddlyScamp
Dave Mustaine....

Now that's just crazy talk

Old 2007-06-08, 00:59
CuddlyScamp
Metalhead

Nah, Megadeth have like 1 or 2 goods songs per album, the only exception was with Marty Freidman. That one night in Buenos Aires DVD is a perfect example of his mediocrity. His rhythms are solid, but his lead sucks ass.
Sorry, but this is my opinion.........

Old 2007-06-08, 07:43
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Dave Mustaine's leads are fucking horrible, but he is a great rhythm player so the two qualities contra.

Old 2007-06-08, 21:12
SuspendedByTheThroat
Senior Metalhead

I personally think Dimebag was way overrated.

and the fact that half the metal population is obsessed with his death and put RIP DIMEBAG everywhere.

Old 2007-06-08, 21:29
Requiem
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuspendedByTheThroat

and the fact that half the metal population is obsessed with his death and put RIP DIMEBAG everywhere.

Right on, I know that is a decent guitar player but Chuck was far better. So why do you see more people with RIP Dimebag Darrell than you do RIP Evil Chuck?

Old 2007-06-08, 23:03
Myrmidonlord666
Senior Metalhead

I see alot of people with RIP Chuck, I am not saying he's overrated, but to say he is underrated would be far from the truth. I think he gets about as much recognition as any Death metal guitarist will ever get.
Originally Posted by xdislexicx
it was too hifi for me...
it's like a hot chick that is horrible in bed.

Old 2007-06-08, 23:41
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
Dave Mustaine's leads are fucking horrible, but he is a great rhythm player so the two qualities contra.

No one glorifies him for his leads though....if they do, they probably don't play guitar, or they really suck. He's known for songwriting, and like you said, rhythm.

Old 2007-06-09, 02:41
CuddlyScamp
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuspendedByTheThroat

He was awesome, I personally didn't like any of the bands he was in , but respected his ability. The thing that shits me is all the products that now bare his name, all the Dean guitars and shit. Cashing in a on a tragedy and the naivety of kids. IMO.

Oh, and Alexi from COB, man he just luvs teh cock! Fuck man, that band is gay.

Last edited by CuddlyScamp : 2007-06-09 at 02:44.

Old 2007-06-09, 02:47
Requiem
Post-whore

....Alexi is one of the best metal guitarist out there.

If he is over rated then please tell me who isn't.

Old 2007-06-09, 11:30
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Dimebag was, and hoepfully never will be, an overrated guitarist. For all round ability - and by this I mean songwriting, riffing and soloing - the man was a genius and just about the only person keeping metal in the mainstream during the mid-90's.

Old 2007-06-09, 11:38
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

dimebag was awesome, amazing, etc. but still awesomely overhyped and amazingly overrated.

Old 2007-06-10, 09:43
ulrichmc
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
Dimebag was, and hoepfully never will be, an overrated guitarist. For all round ability - and by this I mean songwriting, riffing and soloing - the man was a genius and just about the only person keeping metal in the mainstream during the mid-90's.

Pantera wasn't mainstream. Mainstream metal in the 90s was Korn, Slipknot, shit like that. I would say Dime is a guy who helped keep metal pure in the 90s, at least compared to his headbanging colleagues.

Old 2007-06-10, 13:44
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Pantera weren't mainstream? That's a new one.

Old 2007-06-10, 15:55
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

Pantera surely are mainstream. Not that this is testament for it, but, I see their shirts hanging in every sanity I've been too.

Old 2007-06-11, 00:51
ulrichmc
Senior Metalhead

A lot people around here seem to have no idea who Pantera was. They might recognize Gates or Walk, but that's about it. And I never saw them on TV or heard them on the radio until after they were through.

Old 2007-06-11, 03:44
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

its not your fault, we all heard them and saw them for you.