MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Bass Zone

Old 2006-02-03, 02:08
Tulvox
Post-whore

Rex from Pantera? He wasn't anything special.

www.maddox.xmission.com

Old 2006-02-03, 02:09
Zionist
My Ass, Your Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panterabasser71
You're obviously forgetting about Mike Dean and Rex Brown...

Steve DiGiorgio is much more talented than them.
Wore her out before I could finish(which im grateful for)

Funeral Mulch; My brutal death metal band from West Michigan.

Old 2006-02-03, 09:04
blitz906
Okay.

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsonic6string
Alex is by far one of the most well-respected and most talented bassists in the whole death metal genre. I had the pleasure of getting to know Alex for a while, and he was very happy to sit down with me and show me how he does some of the tapping techniques that he excels at. He also told me how he got to be that good...by watching lots of instructional videos, as someone else pointed out, that are not strictly metal, and practising like a mad man.

One of the main things that make Alex such an impressive bassist, is that he is pretty well the main writer for Cannibal Corpse. Look at the writing credits on almost all the CD's...

His 3-fingered playing technique is amazing to watch, aswell. He back-picks with his index finger to fill it out to what lots of people assume is a 4-fingered playing technique. (As far as I know, the only bassists out there playing with all 4 fingers are Jason Blackowitz from Divine Empire (ex-Malevolent Creation) and...well...me!)

But listen to Mummified in Barbed Wire for some of his amazing 2-handed tapping...it's mind-numbing.

Later

Alex also does some wicked tapping on "Cyanide Assasin" which is fucking breakneck speed.... and "Stripped Raped & Strangled" which isnt too technical, but still sounds cool .....I'm not sure of any others he taps on though....but still fucking great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompelledToLacerate
God, the Japanese are so weird. This HAS to be the long term effects of the atom bombs. No one is that weird on purpose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomli
The slams in that song always kill me. First time I heard that song I was like "Too much heaviness - brain collapse" but now I could murder my family to that one

Old 2006-02-03, 14:31
Robbie Filth
The Man Who Is, MGI.

Alex is an excellent bass player no doubt definately the best in death metal.

Old 2006-02-03, 15:25
Disincarnate
But why is the rum gone ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionist
Steve DiGiorgio is much more talented than them.

SDG slays all

Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely

Quote:
Guitarists are just people who could Never make it as a Bassist

www.riversofgore.com

Join The Forum CUNT

Old 2006-02-04, 06:44
blitz906
Okay.

Lightbulb

Between Steve Digiorgio and Alex Webster....I don't think you can say which one is "the best" in death metal. They both have different playing styles which are pretty noticeable....Steve plays fretless, which is pretty much a whole different style to fretted.....so in my humble useless opinion....they are both incredible bass players....but neither are "the best".
Quote:
God, the Japanese are so weird. This HAS to be the long term effects of the atom bombs. No one is that weird on purpose.
Quote:
The slams in that song always kill me. First time I heard that song I was like "Too much heaviness - brain collapse" but now I could murder my family to that one

Old 2006-05-21, 03:56
Cattlefan#1
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissection
Reguardless of the giant genre gap between the two, Les Claypool is infinitely better than him.

I don't find his playing to be anything special. But then again the only bassist that actually shows any kind of skill is of course, Les Claypool. Sorry, I like les.

Hahahahahaah Les Claypool isnt even that good. Alex Webster will burn Les with his toes. My brother can play any Primus song flawlessy. And hes only been playing for 3 years. Alex Webster is way more technical than Claypool and is much much faster. Not to mention Webster has badass hair

A live one trapped underneath.

Last edited by Cattlefan#1 : 2006-05-21 at 04:15.

Old 2006-05-21, 05:48
travI56669
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattlefan#1
Hahahahahaah Les Claypool isnt even that good. Alex Webster will burn Les with his toes. My brother can play any Primus song flawlessy. And hes only been playing for 3 years. Alex Webster is way more technical than Claypool and is much much faster. Not to mention Webster has badass hair

You're an ass, Les is just too kick ass.. And who cares about their hair?

Old 2006-05-21, 10:30
Robbie Filth
The Man Who Is, MGI.

I know a guy who is really kick ass at bass, he can also play anything of primus but he has been playing for ages.

Old 2006-05-21, 17:53
PST 88
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

Rex was very good at doing what a bassist should do in a conventional band. It's a mistake to think of a bassist - or any other musician - as being good or bad in any situation abstracted from the band. Every musician has a role, and if he does well in that role, he's better than a technically more gifted musician who doesn't. Which is not to say that Alex doesn't fill his role in CC - he does - just to point out that you're going to be a worse bassist for the type of technical snobbery you've got, not a better one.

Les and Alex are just in different worlds. No point comparing them.

Old 2006-05-21, 18:46
epitaph
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsonic6string
But listen to Mummified in Barbed Wire for some of his amazing 2-handed tapping...it's mind-numbing.

I dont know where can you hear two hand tapping?

Old 2006-05-21, 21:32
Cattlefan#1
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by travI56669
You're an ass, Les is just too kick ass.. And who cares about their hair?

Ok first of all I never said Les sucked or anything, I just said hes not that good. His stuff is very simple. In my opinion, I think hes overrated. He is good I'll give him that, but im just saying people think hes better than he really is.

A live one trapped underneath.

Old 2006-05-22, 09:01
Unanything
Post-whore

When I saw Cannibal in Glasgow, when they finished off they did an extended outro' to Stripped, Raped And Strangled. Alex did swept arpeggios on his bass. That for me is confirmation Alex is the coolest.

www.garageband.com/tranxnart
www.myspace.com/tranxnart
www.youtube.com/user/Tranxhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while fucking you in the eye. Brutal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadude
I coated the end of a toothpick with Satan's blood and simply wiped it across the top of an omelet. PERFECT!

Old 2006-06-14, 05:04
Certain Death
New Blood

What?

I can't believe that someone said metal bass players suck, there are a lot of great bassists in metal, Steve Harris(Iron Maiden), Geezer Butler(Black Sabbath), Steve DiGiorgio(Sadus/Death/Testament), Alex Webster(Cannibal Corpse), Eddie Walker(Argentina), most Death (the band) bassists, just to name a few of them. And for example,Ian Hill, Judas Priest's bass player is not bad, he may not be great, but if someone plays simple bass lines it does not mean that he sucks.
*Les Claypool is really fucking great, but I dont think Primus is Metal. It's a mix of different styles of music.

In the band that I'm playing with (I say it like this because i dont think im really part of the band)we played Staring through the eyes of the dead by Cannibal Corpse, is not very difficult, but you can't say that anyone can play it.
because I can't take the smell of it"
EXODUS - Shroud Of Urine (Tempo Of The Damned)

Old 2006-06-14, 17:11
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Certain Death
I can't believe that someone said metal bass players suck, there are a lot of great bassists in metal, Steve Harris(Iron Maiden), Geezer Butler(Black Sabbath), Steve DiGiorgio(Sadus/Death/Testament), Alex Webster(Cannibal Corpse), Eddie Walker(Argentina), most Death (the band) bassists, just to name a few of them. And for example,Ian Hill, Judas Priest's bass player is not bad, he may not be great, but if someone plays simple bass lines it does not mean that he sucks.
*Les Claypool is really fucking great, but I dont think Primus is Metal. It's a mix of different styles of music.

In the band that I'm playing with (I say it like this because i dont think im really part of the band)we played Staring through the eyes of the dead by Cannibal Corpse, is not very difficult, but you can't say that anyone can play it.

primus is primus.....load some into your computer and look at the genres on your media player, it will be like, rock, hip hop, metal, death metal, primus.
no joke

http://hosting01.hotchyx.com/adult-...pad_and_pat.jpg

Old 2006-06-14, 18:37
Tulvox
Post-whore

Metal doesn't have bad bass players. They just can't step to the Funk players.

www.maddox.xmission.com

Old 2006-06-15, 02:01
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulvox

i bet a couple of them could, although ive never heard a death metaller at wooten status IMO webster smashes flea

Old 2006-06-15, 03:50
basstendencies
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulvox

gotta disagree with you there;steve digiorgio,alex webster,sean malone, are as good or better than any funk player i can think of(with the exception of prestia and wooten whom are also some serious dudes). its kinda comparing apples to oranges though cause theyre such different styles.

Old 2006-06-15, 06:02
PST 88
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

Flea isn't really a funk bassist.

Funk is a style of music that is inconceivable without, at the very least, an above-average bassist. Metal, at least since thrash, is a style of music that is not inconceivable without any bassist. It shouldn't be surprising that the former produces more quality bassists than the latter, and it shouldn't be surprising that the highest quality bassists produced by the latter really shouldn't be compared to those of the former; their roles in bands are completely different though they play the same instrument. Very few of the great metal bassists just mentioned carry their bands in the way a funk bassist does (imagine the bass dropping out of a CC song and compare it to the bass dropping out of a good funk song to see what I mean); that they might be more skilled technically does not, actually, suggest that they're better.

In any case, it doesn't make much sense to compare them.

Old 2006-06-15, 08:57
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

very well put

Old 2006-06-19, 02:07
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Heart-Hate
very well put

Agreed, that was very insightful. Of course its not to say that a metal bass player isnt talented enough to lead his respective band, its just traditionally not done. Far too often people say another musician is "better" (whose to say who is better than anyone else anyway?) based on chops and not on musicality or compositional skill. Thats why funk players are looked upon in a more positive light than metal players, they typically lead the band (along with the drummer of course) and do so in a very musical fashion.

Old 2006-06-23, 13:06
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

every time I see cannibal corpse live he plays the hammer smashed face solo different WTF!!!111!!!!1!!!!@

Old 2006-12-24, 00:20
deathxleprosyx
Senior Metalhead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsiderrider
Check out the wreched spawn, get the copy with the free dvd and watch the recording of frantic disembowelment (i dare anyone to accuratly do a bass tab for it). alex is more amazing to see then to hear. his bass solos are good but they are not the best, but when you see him play its totaly tits.

And Posessed were around before cc or anyother death band, They were the FIRST death band anb many belive they invented the phrase Death Metal, i sugest and death metaler to buy seven churches. and death came befor cc aswell.

any hoo i shall go before i start to ramble.
on their site they have a video of him recording that song and yeah alex is amazing and is like a normal dude

Old 2006-12-25, 05:53
travI56669
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattlefan#1
Ok first of all I never said Les sucked or anything, I just said hes not that good. His stuff is very simple. In my opinion, I think hes overrated. He is good I'll give him that, but im just saying people think hes better than he really is.

haha I totally over-reacted by calling you an ass.

Anyway, Alex is cool. Rex is badass...just because. He is just a badass.

Old 2006-12-25, 16:11
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

hey cattle idiot.
Just because you can play some of the songs he writes doesnt mean that he isnt as good as people put him up to be.
If you had to play a 3 hour set would you make all of your songs beat the shit out of you?
have you ever heard claypool just jam?
hes fucking amazing.

Old 2007-01-15, 11:34
blitz906
Okay.

Thumbs up

I think the whole god damn band is great...Alex Webster is a great bass player, we all know that. But the other members seem to be underrated...George has a sickening brutal voice. Jack was a pretty good rhythm and lead player. (I'm not too sure about Rob, he's alright I suppose) Paul is a good drummer, very powerful, good timing, good rhythm...his only problem being that he doesn't do anything too fancy that stands out. And most of all...PAT O'BRIEN !!! .....Check out the Wretched Spawn DVD if you haven't seen Pat in action...he's an amazing guitarist, fantastic rhythm and lead, a great shredder, love his solos. I also love his use of obscure & unusual scales/arpeggios, gives off a very creepy, sinister vibe.

~Cheers
Quote:
Quote:

Old 2007-01-21, 01:32
deathxleprosyx
Senior Metalhead
Banned

dou u guys know what kind of bass alex was playing on the making of frantic disembowelment

Old 2007-01-22, 01:07
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

spector euro neck thru
and he played the modulus q5 unplugged for like 10 seconds

Old 2007-02-26, 09:07
blitz906
Okay.

Question

Can anyone tell me what scale/mode Alex is using at the end of this video clip? (02:37) it sounds fucking sweet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-uYELJetsU Thanks in advance.

~Cheers
Quote:
Quote:

Old 2007-02-27, 12:21
HAMMERSMASHEDFACE
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz906
Can anyone tell me what scale/mode Alex is using at the end of this video clip? (02:37) it sounds fucking sweet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-uYELJetsU Thanks in advance.

~Cheers

join the cannibal corpse forums www.cannibalcorpse.org there is a section where you can ask Alex questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity
He's calling you a faggot piece of shit because you are young and unintelligent, and most of all, you are a boring, stereotyopical, close minded metal head. Please don't pretend to understand anything PST says. Please leave the forum now.

Old 2007-02-27, 21:36
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

Quote:

~Cheers

well um...
the beginning is obviously pentatonic... A natural I believe.

End I believe is F# diminished

Old 2007-04-15, 02:12
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

hes in hate eternal now

Old 2007-04-15, 14:35
HAMMERSMASHEDFACE
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixsicsix
hes in hate eternal now

but he is still in cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity
He's calling you a faggot piece of shit because you are young and unintelligent, and most of all, you are a boring, stereotyopical, close minded metal head. Please don't pretend to understand anything PST says. Please leave the forum now.

Old 2007-04-16, 00:52
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

yeah, I know

Old 2007-04-16, 01:33
blitz906
Okay.

Aww I thought that was going to turn into an argument. lol
Quote:
Quote:

Old 2007-04-16, 01:46
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

Quote:
Aww I thought that was going to turn into an argument. lol

nah, HSF is rarely not cool.

Old 2007-05-16, 04:44
blitz906
Okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixsicsix
nah, HSF is rarely not cool.

lol... Rarely not cool? That statement doesn't really make sense.
Quote:
Quote:

Old 2007-05-17, 11:05
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

yeah it does, you just might have to use your brain a little.
whe is hsf not passive about anything?

Old 2009-07-10, 08:17
blitz906
Okay.

Thought I'd give this thread a long overdue bump... here's an interview with Alex. He switched to SWR.

http://www.swrsound.com/news/index....play_article=50
Quote:
Quote:

Old 2009-07-10, 08:25
Wolfsherz
Post-whore

Got to play on an SWR-head at some gig once, DAAAAAAAMN they got a solid tone. Seriously, you could probably turn treble and bass all down and mid all up and you'd still get a punchy sound out of it.

Aosoth - New album III out now on Agonia Recs
Epoch - bass, guitars, drums, MetaStasizing out asap
Asphixa - bass, demo out asap
Adustum - bass, guitars, full length out soon on XXXXXXXXXX recs

Quote:
Originally Posted by far_beyond_sane
Tetianblood? ... Well, 'Necrosemen' to you too. Twat.

Old 2009-07-12, 19:29
7-string warlord
Post-whore

I'm looking forward to hearing Websters SWR at Mayhem. Going for the death metal stage....or actually just black dahlia murder and cannibal corpse.

Old 2011-05-26, 19:38
oddball
New Blood

Alex is one of the reasons I bought a 5 string bass for sure, he fuckin rocks!!!