MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone

Old 2005-07-26, 04:11
antipunx
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodlessman
I just pick it up and go. Sometimes its not even a minute and other times I can't put the damn thing down.

ya i here u man, one time i only practiced for like five minuets and i got a lot of shit accomploshed theory wise. but technique i got jack shit.

i usually just pop in a lamb of god cd and play along with the whole thing.

Old 2005-07-26, 04:16
feetunderwarpath
Metalhead

I play until my fingers feel like they're about to bleed. I get into it too much and it causes me to sweat which causes the strings to get rough and it makes playing hurt, but in a good way. I play so long that my calauses (fuck i can't spell) get ripped up.

Love is for the weak, religion is for the blind.

Old 2005-07-29, 06:01
Frozen Soul
Senior Metalhead
Banned

Lately I have been a slacker, I have played about 3 maybe 3 1/2 hours a day. I would like to get a solid 8 hours in every day. However, I doubt the day will come anytime soon.

Old 2005-07-29, 11:06
HalfmastTrousers
Supreme Metalhead

i should be practicing more rigidly...i have a guitar in my hand almost all day but im not very structured and after four years i'm not very fast and still a bit sloppy...i had to relearn how to hold my pick to get more control a month ago. Dont go self taught kiddies.

with my own time role your own innocence by
grab on to my sleeve the one that grabs at your ankle
debate to understand that we all have a flaw
then fail to represent your life as you know it
god grant you one wish to turn back the time... correct and create

me and my star
matthew good night
you know by law when you'll be forgiven
maria my star
matthew goodnight
you know my lord when you'll be forgiven

Old 2005-07-29, 18:19
newHELLonEARTH
slack as fuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfmastTrousers
Dont go self taught kiddies.

you suck

Fucking on the couch while posting on Metaltabs and getting caught by your mother....

Priceless!

Old 2005-07-29, 18:27
active corpse fucker
Senior Metalhead

i am self taught and damn happy i was not taught

get a teacher if you want
do it yourself if you want, the lessons to learn are easy to get (internet, books, friends)

practising something is like sex - start off slow and then build up speed until you have achieved what you were looking for, then piss off down to the pub

Old 2005-08-30, 08:11
Volcheyar
New Blood

Average 2 hours daily. I'm very busy man: work and other business takes many time, also I compose a music. But when I can fing some time to play, I playing! Once a week I meeting with my band and we playing together 4-6 hours. If all of my desires was fulfilled, I would sleep with my guitar!

Old 2005-09-16, 13:23
KolymA
New Blood

hm, I usually don't practice except songs for the band.
Sometimes I don't touch the guitar for days, but then I just grab it and play for hours.
The only hard practice I do is playing the songs of the band over and over again, especially, difficult riffs.
I'm not really the one to play own songs and riffs over and over again. Most of the time I'm standing around doing scales and some improvisation of clean singlenote playing - I hate shredding primitive riffs for a longer time.

Sometimes a useable riff comes around or a bunch of 'em, other times I just trained my playing.
Personally I think guitar playing just for itself sucks, I just got learned all the stuff I need for my musical genre. for a year I really practiced hard, the time I had weehkly guitar lessons. Since then I didn't really learned new technique, just got more speed in pull-offs, hammer-ons, scales. I'm faster at hitting the strings and got more precision in single notes and arpeggios. No need, for more stuff

Old 2005-09-16, 13:38
Adrian_15
Senior Metalhead

Okay, I practice usually between 3-4 hours each day and it gous like that:
0.5 hour warm up techniques
1 hour Children Of Bodom songs
1.5 hour Iron Maiden songs
1 hour only soloing
Can patter out their hasty orisons.
No mockeries for them from prayers or bells,
Nor any voice of mourning save the choirs,-
The shrill, demented choirs of wailing shells;
And bugles calling for them from sad shires.

Old 2005-09-19, 00:05
foxguitar
Supreme Metalhead
Banned

I play about 2 -3 hours a day . As far as lessons I still take lessons and ive been playing over 20 yrs . I do the Tab and instructional stuff as well. A good teacher will keep you progressing and give you fresh ideas when your stuck.
In the beginning Id suggest finding a good teacher who can show your proper technique , give you a working knowledge of theory and get you started in the right direction.
another tip dont just listen to one type of music try Jazz , blues , classical besides the metal.

Old 2005-09-19, 01:55
JoeYngVai
Vaginal Warts

Unless I'm away on a trip, or at a friend's house, around 3 hours a day. However, that's an average, because I've played much longer than that before, so that could mean that one day I played only a half hour before school, and then the next day for 4 and a half hours. I spread out my time a lot during the day, and if I go too long without playing, I start going nuts.

Like on my class trip a few days ago. If I hadn't found a guitar there..... who knows....

Blackwater (Friend's Metal Band)
MY WEBSITE!

R.I.P Paddy. My dear and loving father will never be forgotten.

Old 2005-09-20, 20:29
John Holland
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Banned

I practice 12 hours daily.

Old 2005-09-20, 21:22
newHELLonEARTH
slack as fuck

I actually was lucky today. i stayed home from school with a really bad cold, spent the day playing guitar/recording a song and posting on metaltabs.

Fucking on the couch while posting on Metaltabs and getting caught by your mother....

Priceless!

Old 2005-09-20, 22:29
Zertonshfits
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holland

holy shit, what else do you do? besides like.. eat and sleep and shit, even then theats not alot of time to get JUST THAT done!

EDIT: your being sarcastic... damn im dumb

NECROTIC
Canadian Brutal Death (So you know it's good)

Old 2005-09-20, 23:12
JoeYngVai
Vaginal Warts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zertonshfits
holy shit, what else do you do? besides like.. eat and sleep and shit, even then theats not alot of time to get JUST THAT done!

EDIT: your being sarcastic... damn im dumb

Hey, Vai fit in 10 hours. Damnit! So that's what it takes!

MY WEBSITE!

Old 2005-09-20, 23:15
John Holland
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zertonshfits

EDIT: your being sarcastic...

No ... I'm not.

I'm serious when I say that. I've managed 12 hours daily for the past three days, and I plan on continuing this.

Old 2005-09-21, 01:12
tchambliss
Senior Metalhead

Well I usually practice anywhere from about 10 minutes to 3 hours. . . on average maybe an hour a day but it is way too sporatic. . . plus I have a private lesson on thursdays and I am usually too drunk to get anything done with it. My band director in college knows about it but yeah, I let the drink run me and if I'm not drunk I am usually not there.

RIP Brian Daniel McDonough: June 30, 1983- April 13, 2006, One of the bass greats that never was discovered

Old 2005-09-21, 01:45
Dissection
bugfucker strikes back.

HOW MANY TIME DO YOU PRACTICE EVERY DAY? LOL NICE SPELLING MISTAKE KTHNX. LOLOLOLOLOL

Please don't take that seriously. Alright, I'm lucky to practice once a day with school and work, but I seem to get some stuff done. Awesome.

Awesome.

Old 2005-09-21, 04:03
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title

Quote:
No ... I'm not.

I'm serious when I say that. I've managed 12 hours daily for the past three days, and I plan on continuing this.

i still doubt that. I mean unless you dont sleep at all..

Old 2005-09-21, 04:06
xDeadHandsRisingx
Senior Metalhead

i have band practice 3 times a week and we play for 4 hrs a day. and on non band practice days i play about 1 1/2 hrs a day. As far as lessons, i never took any in my life, but i recently took a music theory class, this semester in college.

Old 2005-09-21, 14:57
JoeYngVai
Vaginal Warts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathCS
i still doubt that. I mean unless you dont sleep at all..

Hey, I bet John Holland is just a really dedicated player.

WOW Holland, I think I'm gonna up my hours a bit. I'll tell you when I catch up. Until then, good luck!(to both of us)

So I have to beat my longest play time by about 7 hours... not too bad...

MY WEBSITE!

Old 2005-09-21, 15:51
ImBored
Supreme Metalhead

2, maybe three hours, max. Most of its fragmented, too. Bad habits, but, Im happy with my playing so far. Most of its infront of the TV (which is like, what your not meant to do?) That, or im figuring something out, or trying to write. The days when Im hit with the creativity I might practice a little more. But none of it is strictly practicing...Its just playing and working on stuff I already know, really. Im not one for sitting down for hours on end just learning one arpeggio (Went through that phase at christmas. Still cant play the fucker, so I cant be bothered.)

Old 2005-09-21, 18:37
CoreyB

2 hours on electric guitar

warmup for 20 minutes.
cover a death song of choice - work on nailing the rhythm of the desired song
fool around for about 30 minutes, just rockin out gettin my groove
play scales in clean and work on technique

1 Hour on classical

play, and use good technique
work through 5-10 pages in my workbook for my class

30 minutes reading literature

reading a few books or magazines or website clips on guitars, amps, and getting great sounds, playing styles, appreciation, etc...

i've only been playing for a year and a half now, and i'm doing excellent. everyone that i play with i can keep up with if not surpass. I think that my desire sets me apart from a lot of other people around here. I might not understand song writing structure or anything yet, but I can definately cover anything i set my mind to. In about 6 more months I am going to work more on implementation of scales and mode structures and try to tab or create music.

Old 2005-09-21, 21:57
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeYngVai

WOW Holland, I think I'm gonna up my hours a bit. I'll tell you when I catch up. Until then, good luck!(to both of us)

i'm sure he is, but 12 hours is pretty absurd, seeing how he has a job, and usually the body needs sleep.

Old 2005-09-21, 22:08
Turbo Rico
Senior Metalhead

Practice..?

Old 2005-10-22, 03:25
SicSyco
Metalhead

i practice everyday on my electric at least for an hour take a break then go for another hour, it's good fun, then maybe play acoustic for a couple of hours, if i'm not too busy or tired after the day ends

Old 2005-10-28, 19:50
madtrixcerenzia
Senior Metalhead

No less than 7 hours. I wake up at 5 30 and do an 1 and a half before school, 3 hours when i get home, then dinner, then i work out, then i finish the night out with it. I scheduled study halls in school so i always do homework then.

And for John Holland,

I believe you may practice 12 hours but i only have two questions.

Where are you in life, are you a student, or out of college and have a job? In the summer, i can totally believe it, but you do realize that you are giving yourself about 3 hours of freetime. I find it hard to believe you can accomplish this with school and/or work, considering both of these things take more than 3 hours to do.
Steve Vai does it cause he was going to Berklee and now his lifes music so he can. I dont know this guy, but if you have a job or school (thats not a music school) then i dont care what you say. . .Bullshit.

And most importantly, what do you do when you practice? If you watch tv while your doing it, that hardly counts. I bet that 2 hour of concentrated practice beats 5 hours of 'ok' practice. Gauranteed.

Now im not saying this is you, but if it is, your 12 hour days are meaningless. Especially if your just learning other peoples songs. If you spend 12 hours doing nothing but learn songs by your favorite bands then thats even more meaningless. And its great if your writing songs, but if your practicing that much and being that dedicated but not putting nothing towards say knowledge, ear training, sight reading, etc. then again, meaningless.

Note: (When i say meaningless, i meant for your journey to becoming a TRULY good guitarist, as i imagine one would be striving for when putting forth 12 hours of their life towards the instrument leaving 3 hours a day for other things such as a job to finance ones guitar needs, shelter, and food)

So in short, just how the hell are you exactly practicing that much?

Old 2005-10-28, 22:13
Shreddist
Supreme Metalhead

6 hours on weekdays, 12 on weekends, and all day on sick days

Old 2005-10-28, 22:18
Robbie Filth
The Man Who Is, MGI.

I practise alot most days i probaly play for only about 3 hours a day depends on the situation but i don practise alot 3 hours doesnt sound much compared to some people here but i probaly do play more i just don't time how long i play for.......

Old 2005-11-01, 01:06
madtrixcerenzia
Senior Metalhead

Quote:

How are you able to accomplish this routine with work/school? For me to accomplish 7 hours, thats if im lucky enough to not have homework and chores.

Old 2005-11-01, 01:53
IlikeRiffseveryone
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeYngVai

mines 14 :P

but lately with school only like 2-3
yes its a gay project, and no im not in special needs class.

Old 2005-11-01, 02:08
Soeru
Post-whore

Fuck I don't have a lot of time to practice nowadays, except on weekend mornings but since I wake up at like 1 pm and work at 4 pm, I don't have a lot of time to practice between that. I usually avoid homework for a while on weekdays to practice lol. I'm going to beg my boss to let me work in the morning on weekends so I'll get home at 4 instead of 11, and so I can practice until I pass out.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2005-11-01, 13:04
Jarod_g29
New Blood

I usually practice 3 hours a day after school and then have to do homework But besides that I try to fit in some more after homework.

Old 2005-11-01, 21:02
YJM04
Post-whore

now days, about 4-5 big change from what i used to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by User01
ibut i wouldnt get any help at a slipknot board, theyre struggling with palm muting!