MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2005-12-18, 12:49
stillalive
New Blood

I used the jack that came with the EMGs and extended the wires myself.

Old 2005-12-20, 22:41
*insert name here*
Jono

Im just wondering,has anyone ever seen or heard of white EMG's?Anyone know any pictures or anything?

Old 2005-12-20, 22:47
Six_Feet_Under_420
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by *insert name here*
Im just wondering,has anyone ever seen or heard of white EMG's?Anyone know any pictures or anything?

A friend of mine has white emg's. look pretty cool.

http://www.rainbowmusicomaha.com/emg89white99.jpg
+-+ .....::::: Alive to Live, Not to Believe....In a God that I cannot see :::::..... +-+

Old 2005-12-21, 11:55
*insert name here*
Jono

Ah,sweet thanks man,thats what i was after.Im considering buying a 85 set of some guy,and i never heard of white ones.Now im wondering what they would look like in the guitar,and if it would look stupid with a black one opposite.

Old 2005-12-21, 14:09
Kai Latvala
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Ah,sweet thanks man,thats what i was after.Im considering buying a 85 set of some guy,and i never heard of white ones.Now im wondering what they would look like in the guitar,and if it would look stupid with a black one opposite.

Personally I care more what the guitar sounds like than how it looks. If I had a beat up ass stratocaster that sounded like heaven, I'd take that over a shiny guitar with white pickups anyday.
Our Stuff
Reavers Lament
Snowfall

Old 2005-12-21, 14:53
IRON90
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six_Feet_Under_420
A friend of mine has white emg's. look pretty cool.

http://www.rainbowmusicomaha.com/emg89white99.jpg

Nice.

Old 2005-12-21, 17:20
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillalive
I just wired an EMG 81 and 85 along with a PA2 booster into my Jackson and the shit's dead
I attached a 9V battery to the circuit, plugged the guitar into an amp then tapped on the pickups with a screwdriver and nothing came out, big disappointment because i took my time with this and the soldering looked real good. Now i'm pretty sure the 25K volume pot is fine and i didn't fry it or anything, the 3 way switch was fine before, I'm thinking it might be the stereo jack. The original wires were too damn short to go through the RR body, so i extended them myself. I couldn't find a switchcraft 152B anywhere in stores here and ordering it would make me wait for a few weeks. So the black battery wire has been cut in 2 places and soldered together again with different wire in between the original short one, the other 2 wires (another ground wire and a white one) have been extended too. I don't know maybe that's why the signal doesn't go through? The quick connect cables are correctly inserted with the arrow up. And i doubt the battery is dead. If it's the switch, how would i know?
Even though the instructions said not to connect the bridge pickup ground wire i still soldered it on the volume pot because ESP guitars actually have it that way, and because the diagrams were showing it that way and i've been following them carefully since the beginning. The setup i'm trying to get to work is simple 1 Volume + PA2 + 3 Way Switch.

Can anyone help me out here and tell me where the problem might be? Should i order the stereo jack they wrote about on the website or will resoldering this one with maybe better results help? Thanks a lot

You really need to disconnect that ground wire from the vol pot and you should get a stereo jack unless you want dead batteries. The jack acts as the On switch by completing the power path when the jack is pluged in. If you have a multimeter then check to see if the pickups/PA2 are getting DC power. Then check for output from the pickups, PA2, switch, pot, and finally the jack until you have isolated the problem. Thats about the only way I can help you without knowing more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3talhead666
Well yes it would but how are you going to fit 3 batteries in there? Anyway changing the battery is easy. once i install my set im thinking of buying a rechargable 9V battery so i dont have to keep buying new ones... except if it drains faster

Bad ideal to use a rechargable battery. They doen't have consistant power output. Plus I also read another reason why they are not good to use but I don't remember what it was. They do also drain faster btw.

There are super 9v batteries that last longer and have a very consistant power output but they cost about $10 per battery. I get mine from Radio Shack and I love them. There is nothing better for EMG than those batteries imo.

These are what I use.

Old 2005-12-21, 20:33
stillalive
New Blood

Thanks Soulinsane. I took the guitar to a guy who builds guitars and he fixed the shit for me. It works fine for the most part but i think the grounding might be borked, PA2 makes a lot of white noise when turned on (when you're not playing anything) and the volume isn't increased. Also at high volumes i can hear from the pickups humming, when i touch a volume pot or the switch it goes away, that's because my fingers act as ground right? So is it the wiring?

Old 2005-12-21, 21:16
*insert name here*
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Latvala
Personally I care more what the guitar sounds like than how it looks. If I had a beat up ass stratocaster that sounded like heaven, I'd take that over a shiny guitar with white pickups anyday.

Way to state the bleeding obvious,you fucking tool.

Old 2005-12-21, 21:40
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Quote:
Thanks Soulinsane. I took the guitar to a guy who builds guitars and he fixed the shit for me. It works fine for the most part but i think the grounding might be borked, PA2 makes a lot of white noise when turned on (when you're not playing anything) and the volume isn't increased. Also at high volumes i can hear from the pickups humming, when i touch a volume pot or the switch it goes away, that's because my fingers act as ground right? So is it the wiring?

Check to see if the ground wire is still attached. If so remove it and see if you still get that humming.

Old 2005-12-21, 21:54
stillalive
New Blood

Yeah he soldered the 2 white wires from 81/85 to the volume pot along with those that go from the 3 way switch. If i remove them, where should they go? Are they just supposed to hang there in the cavity? Won't that be a problem, because it's tight as hell in there and they might interfere with other stuff. Thanks for replying though i appreciate it.

EDIT: btw after walking around the room a bit the humming doesn't seem to be such a problem anymore. But the PA2 is still annoying as all hell when turned on, it doesn't do any good, only noise.

Last edited by stillalive : 2005-12-21 at 21:58.

Old 2005-12-21, 22:12
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

No, just the ground wire from the bridge. It might be black, but its just one wire. Just cut that one and leave the rest. Just put a bit of tape on the end of it to be safe.

Yeah, the PA2 is a noisy bastard too. All it does is boost the signal and thats great for helping overdrive a low gain amp or setting or making a lead stand out, but the the down side can be noise. I Don't think it was designed to be used while trying to be quite at the same time. EMG have enough output without help. Also they will pickup on electomagnetic fields ( as does any high output pickup ) and hum so be aware of standing close to transformers or electrical devices.

Old 2005-12-21, 22:19
stillalive
New Blood

If you mean the ground wires from the old passives, they've all been taken out and there's nothing left of them

I found out now that the pickups themselves are very quiet now, its strange how much difference turning off a lamp makes. So i think there's no problem there. And if the PA2 is supposed to be this damn noisy then so be it, i'll set it on 20db then

Old 2005-12-21, 22:21
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

lol, glad everything is working out now.

Old 2005-12-21, 22:39
Kai Latvala
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Way to state the bleeding obvious,you fucking tool.

Thats me, I'm in therapy for it, but I can't seem to get past the tapioca pudding.
Our Stuff
Reavers Lament
Snowfall

Old 2005-12-21, 23:55
stillalive
New Blood

81/85 impressions:
Overall an improvement over the stock pups on the RR1, the distortion is punchier and there's less hum coming out of the amp. I was surprised when i played it on clean settings with a bit of delay, it ain't noisy or distorted as most people say, and not too far from SDs. However the harmonics were IMO just as they were with seymours, i didn't notice almost any difference at all, which was strange. Easy to do on 3rd fret but hard on 6th, with it being impossible to do any pinched harmonics past 6th fret. I'm gonna try them out on a marshall stack later see how that changes it.

Old 2005-12-22, 09:15
Six_Feet_Under_420
Post-whore

you should be able to make harmonics without a amp.
+-+ .....::::: Alive to Live, Not to Believe....In a God that I cannot see :::::..... +-+

Old 2005-12-22, 14:21
stillalive
New Blood

So?
I just thought EMGs were gonna make them ring out better when plugged into something.

Old 2005-12-23, 23:36
*insert name here*
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Latvala
but I can't seem to get past the tapioca pudding.

Who can.

Old 2005-12-24, 07:05
The Angry Hobbit
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
the harmonics were IMO just as they were with seymours, i didn't notice almost any difference at all, which was strange. Easy to do on 3rd fret but hard on 6th, with it being impossible to do any pinched harmonics past 6th fret. I'm gonna try them out on a marshall stack later see how that changes it.

did you ever think that it might just be that you suck at pinched harmonics? I can do them all over the neck with my PASSIVE emgs!..... just work on them dude.... if you have emgs your pickups arent holding you harmonics back i promise

Old 2005-12-24, 09:56
metal_monkey
Post-whore

yeah i can do harmonics anywhere even without being plugged in but i dont have emgs yet....i hope to soon

Youve made me cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by problematic
Metal Monkey: retarded comments galore.

RIP this guy

Old 2005-12-24, 21:34
YJM04
Post-whore

im getting a dimarzio eric johnson custom bridge pickup. anyone try one of these before?
i personally dont like emg's cuz they sound all the same, im more duncan or dimarzio kind of sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by User01
ibut i wouldnt get any help at a slipknot board, theyre struggling with palm muting!

Last edited by YJM04 : 2005-12-24 at 21:36.

Old 2005-12-25, 07:41
m3talhead666
Senior Metalhead

Nope havent tried dimarzio yet, but i ordered my ZW set 10 days ago and i should be getting it. Btw what type of wood is your guitars body made out of and how is the neck joined to the body?

Old 2005-12-26, 15:34
The Angry Hobbit
Senior Metalhead

i played the 81/85 set for the first time a few days ago while i was guitar shoping. I HATED them..... but the battery was probably dead.....fucking guitar center .... i ended up getting a jackson with HZ h4s in it. and i love them!!!

Old 2005-12-26, 19:07
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Yeah, if the battery is dead then EMGs don't sound so good.

Old 2005-12-27, 07:44
travI56669
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Angry Hobbit
i played the 81/85 set for the first time a few days ago while i was guitar shoping. I HATED them..... but the battery was probably dead.....fucking guitar center .... i ended up getting a jackson with HZ h4s in it. and i love them!!!

Does this guitar you speak of happen to be the Jackson DKMGT?... I want this guitar so bad...

Old 2005-12-29, 12:09
m3talhead666
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Angry Hobbit

You shouldve told the bastards to replace the battery!!!! Still I heard that the H4s are really good, well the best in EMGs passive series but never buy any other passive EMGs, they suck. Also what guitar are the H4s in?

Old 2006-01-01, 09:41
m3talhead666
Senior Metalhead

happy new year!

Old 2006-01-01, 09:48
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Quote:
Also what guitar are the H4s in?

Just about all mid level Jackson made today. I hate the damn things. If you want EMG then get EMG if not then don't bother with HZs for passives. There are far better passives to be had.

Old 2006-01-01, 10:50
m3talhead666
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulinsane
Just about all mid level Jackson made today. I hate the damn things. If you want EMG then get EMG if not then don't bother with HZs for passives. There are far better passives to be had.

Well if the H4s sound good to somebody's ear he should keep them. but yea as u said there are much better passives compared to them. Fucking hell my ZW set isnt here yet. I waited for 1 month and theyre still not here

Old 2006-01-01, 11:11
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Those pups are worth the wait. I have used them years before they were the ZW EMG package ( ZW stole the combo from me. Thats what I say at least ). The trick is to only turn the neck 85 vol/tone up to just the point it compliments the 81 at the bridge.

Old 2006-01-01, 13:42
m3talhead666
Senior Metalhead

hmm how do you mean? Its the first time im gonna change pickups even though i know exactly how to do it

Old 2006-01-02, 09:51
JoeSatch
New Blood

Ok I got an emg 85.I'll be getting a 81 as soon as I can afford it.
Both white in my goth explorer should be pretty nice.
Anyways I'm having problems with my 85.
It's seems to have very low output,it sounds as though how it would sound if the volume was rolled back.
Checked the quick connect and its in the right way.
At first I had the stock pick up and the emg and I thought that was the problem so I disconnected the passive(stock) pickup but nothing changed.
Any suggestions for a solution?

Old 2006-01-02, 11:03
*insert name here*
Jono

Check batteries.

Old 2006-01-02, 11:19
JoeSatch
New Blood

Tried that,I put in a brand new battery.

Old 2006-01-02, 11:43
m3talhead666
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSatch
Ok I got an emg 85.I'll be getting a 81 as soon as I can afford it.
Both white in my goth explorer should be pretty nice.
Anyways I'm having problems with my 85.
It's seems to have very low output,it sounds as though how it would sound if the volume was rolled back.
Checked the quick connect and its in the right way.
At first I had the stock pick up and the emg and I thought that was the problem so I disconnected the passive(stock) pickup but nothing changed.
Any suggestions for a solution?

Did you replace the stock tone/volume controls with the ones that came with the 85?

Old 2006-01-02, 11:51
JoeSatch
New Blood

Yeah.

Old 2006-01-03, 14:45
m3talhead666
Senior Metalhead

after u get the 81 see if its ok just to check if the whole wiring is ok

Old 2006-01-03, 16:07
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Make sure the pickup is close enough to the strings too. EMGs need to be closer to the strings then passive pickups to get optimal output. Also, are both the vol and tone pots 25k ( the ones that came with the EMG )?

Other then that I think you might have a roasted pot or some other component. It happened to me once. I held the heat on the pot for just a moment too long and ruined it. Thats when I started to actually use heat sinks on my leads.

Old 2006-01-04, 15:24
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

I am thinking about getting a guitar that is equipped with EMG active pickups (81/60 or 81/85, not sure yet?). When doing some research, I read online somewhere that active EMGs were made for tube amps and thus do not sound good in solid state amps. THis worries me because i currently have a solid state Randall amp (RH200SC head) and i really want to get EMGs pickups this time around. Any info about this would be appreciated. THanks.

Old 2006-01-04, 16:28
xDeadHandsRisingx
Senior Metalhead

your RH200sc will sound good with emg's, my buddy has the rg100sc and my guitar sings nice with it. Doesn't really matter, ss or tube, as long as the amp is good the emg's will sound good.

Old 2006-01-04, 19:13
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

okay im replacing the pickups on my b.c. rich with emg select p-bass pickups..i seriously doubt that my current pickups are the quick connect and i dont know if the emg's are or not is this workable can i just clip off the connector if need be and sauder the wires together?

http://hosting01.hotchyx.com/adult-...pad_and_pat.jpg

Old 2006-01-04, 19:23
m3talhead666
Senior Metalhead

Man... where the hell did you read that? i thinks thats BULLSHIT! i wanna see where u read it

Old 2006-01-04, 19:26
m3talhead666
Senior Metalhead

If your pickups are NOT EMG then they do not have quick connect wires. just unsolder the old pickups from volume and tone and then clip on the new emg with the quick connect cable and solder the other end on the volume and tone controls that come with the EMGs

Old 2006-01-04, 19:59
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Man... where the hell did you read that? i thinks thats BULLSHIT! i wanna see where u read it

I read it at the Seymour Duncan forum:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/...EMG+solid+state

Its the last post that says it.

I just checked out the EMG site and it didn't mention if EMGs are to be used with any particluar type of amp, which I think they would mention since that is pretty important...so it probably doesn't matter and what that guy said is most likely BULLSHIT! Thanks guys for the input.

ANyway, the guitar I was checking out was the ESP LTD EC-400 ($850, DAMN) with an EMG 81 in the bridge and the 60 in the neck, mahogany body and neck, neck through construction? and a tobacco sunburst finish. I played it at SAm ash through a Triple XXX head...sounded VERY, VERY good BTW.

Old 2006-01-04, 20:04
m3talhead666
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThornsOfHeaven200
I read it at the Seymour Duncan forum:

ANyway, the guitar I was checking out was the ESP LTD EC-400 ($850, DAMN) with an EMG 81 in the bridge and the 60 in the neck, mahogany body and neck, neck through construction? and a tobacco sunburst finish. I played it at SAm ash through a Triple XXX head...sounded VERY, VERY good BTW.

That is fucking sexy!!!! mahogany body, neck thru and the EMGs are fucking great!

Well the seymour duncan forum IS a forum so many stupid people can get access to it. Like these forums

Old 2006-01-04, 20:52
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

Yeah man...I was gonna save up for a custom KxK axe (which I'm still doing), but now I'm also putting $$$ aside for that ESP axe.

As for the forum, agreed.

Old 2006-01-04, 20:56
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDeadHandsRisingx
your RH200sc will sound good with emg's, my buddy has the rg100sc and my guitar sings nice with it. Doesn't really matter, ss or tube, as long as the amp is good the emg's will sound good.

What type of guitar do you have (tonewood and pickups)?

Old 2006-01-05, 12:39
*insert name here*
Jono

EMG's,he said.

Old 2006-01-05, 15:36
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

lol,I know he has EMGs, but I meant what models?

Old 2006-01-05, 16:27
xDeadHandsRisingx
Senior Metalhead

Basswood, 85//81

Old 2006-01-05, 16:37
m3talhead666
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDeadHandsRisingx
Basswood, 85//81

Is basswood good tonewise? generally because the EMGs ignore the wood

Old 2006-01-05, 16:42
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

The 85 in the bridge and the 81 in the neck?how's the 81 clean?

Old 2006-01-05, 16:42
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Its not bad wood, but its cheaper to buy and work with but don't make a neck out of it. Its soft so you got to be carefull with it. I perfer mohogany and maple.

Also, EMG don't completely ignore the wood.

Old 2006-01-05, 16:46
m3talhead666
Senior Metalhead

eh yea it doesnt COMPLETELY ignore it but it mostly uses the preamp. Damn i want a mahogany guitar, ill probably get a custom made Ran RR model out of mahogany when i save up the money

Old 2006-01-06, 16:18
xDeadHandsRisingx
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThornsOfHeaven200
The 85 in the bridge and the 81 in the neck?how's the 81 clean?

i have 81 bridge and 85 neck, personally i think the 81 in clean sounds very average ( nothing special about it ) , sounds kinda flat and not very colorfull, it sounds decent but if you want some awesome cleans the 81 will leave you short.

Old 2006-01-06, 16:47
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

THanks for that info...I'm thinking about getting a custom guitar that's good for playing anything...most likely with EMG 81 in the bridge for metal and EMG 60 in the neck for cleans and chords.

Old 2006-01-06, 16:58
m3talhead666
Senior Metalhead

Yeap the 60 is really good, i also heard that the 89 works for neck just as well as the 81 and 60. except with the 89, you get a push pull pot because its a humbucker and single coil

Old 2006-01-06, 17:38
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

I'll be putting a 89 in the neck of my next guitar project ( 81 bridge ). I got all the electronics ready. It will be a change from my normal 81/85 setup. I hope I like it. Now I just need to find a guitar to modify/repair.

Old 2006-01-06, 19:36
m3talhead666
Senior Metalhead

make your own . buy a body and neck and all that shit OR just find an old used guitar at apawn shop or smthn and stick those bad asses in

Old 2006-01-07, 05:34
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Quote:
make your own . buy a body and neck and all that shit OR just find an old used guitar at apawn shop or smthn and stick those bad asses in

Thats basically what I said, save the "make your own" out of a blank. I don't have the equipment for that ( $$,$$$ ). I buy guitars that need work and completely rebuild them. I can reshape a neck or body to some degree and put a nice finish on it + just about any hardware/electronics I like.

I'm not just going to slap my EMGs in a POS.

Old 2006-01-07, 08:11
m3talhead666
Senior Metalhead

I wanna do that when i have the time and tools. but for now im just waiting for my goddamn EMGs that are fucking taking over a month to get here!

Old 2006-01-13, 00:23
sneakyburrito
New Blood

Pickup Trouble's

I just recently bought a Schecter Damien 6 and it came with EMG's HZ's (H4s)problem is, when i play it, i get major feedback when i crank my amp up half way...im thinkin its most likely the pickups, but anyway, can anyone help me with my problem??? any suggestions??

Old 2006-01-13, 01:11
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

I'm betting it is all the pickups, but you might want to check the distance, prosition, and gain on the amp too. If the amp didn't do this before then it is those shity HZ's. Get active EMG's if that is what you like and sell the HZ's on Ebay.

Old 2006-01-13, 11:56
sneakyburrito
New Blood

Difference?

is there a major difference between a passive EMG humbucker(HZ) and a regular humbucker? cuz yeh, my amp never had problems like this. before i got my schecter, i had an ibanez with normal pickups..

Old 2006-01-16, 17:53
ZeppFreak89
New Blood

Exclamation help me!

ok i have a quiestion i have a les paul studio and am currently thinking of getting the zakk wylde set up. i play black/ melotic/heavy metal and alot of blues..(yea i know what a combo) and my buddies were telling me that if i want a good metal guitar to just get a new guitar b.c the 81/85 wont help me at all... but i beg to differ b.c alot of metal guys use that set up in les pauls... i was wondering if i would be better off just saving up for a new guitar (which would kinda suck) or go for the emg's b.c itll let my les paul sound awesome... thanks in advance

Old 2006-01-17, 05:33
*insert name here*
Jono

If its a Gibson LP,dont curse it with EMG's.

Old 2006-01-20, 01:03
The Angry Hobbit
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyburrito
I just recently bought a Schecter Damien 6 and it came with EMG's HZ's (H4s)problem is, when i play it, i get major feedback when i crank my amp up half way...im thinkin its most likely the pickups, but anyway, can anyone help me with my problem??? any suggestions??

i had the same problem after i got my new jackson with emg hz h4s. turn down the volume on the guitar. the emgs have a higher output than normal stock passive pickups. when you play louder you have to turn the volume down on the guitar so you dont have too much gain.

Old 2006-01-22, 16:37
m3talhead666
Senior Metalhead

FIIIIIIINALLY!!!! my damn ZW set has arrived after 1 goddamn month!! muhahaha. time to install those fuckers

Old 2006-01-23, 20:27
m3talhead666
Senior Metalhead

FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINALLY!!!! i installed the ZW set but i need a goddamn 9V battery. i gotta wait until tomorrow to check if my installation is right. Also does it matter if i unsoldered the grounding wire and took it out of the guitar instead of just unsoldering it from the volume pot

Last edited by m3talhead666 : 2006-01-23 at 20:46.

Old 2006-01-24, 00:16
*insert name here*
Jono

Hahaha you dont have a battery.

Old 2006-01-24, 04:11
m3talhead666
Senior Metalhead

yea yea i know ill just have to fucking get one today. my guitar better fucking work.

Old 2006-01-24, 17:20
m3talhead666
Senior Metalhead

i installed the pickups and they sound fucking amazing!!!!!!!!!!!! just my type of pickups!

Old 2006-01-26, 01:25
The Angry Hobbit
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
i installed the pickups and they sound fucking amazing!!!!!!!!!!!! just my type of pickups!

congrats bro

Old 2006-01-26, 01:38
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Quote:
FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINALLY!!!! i installed the ZW set but i need a goddamn 9V battery. i gotta wait until tomorrow to check if my installation is right. Also does it matter if i unsoldered the grounding wire and took it out of the guitar instead of just unsoldering it from the volume pot

As long as you have that bridge ground wire disconnected from the pots you are fine. Tape the end of that bitch with electrical tape so it doesn't make any contact.

Also, Glad you like your EMG 81/85. I've been using that setup for far to many years then I'm willing to admit. ZW set my ass That is my setup

Tip: Roll the vol back on the 85 in the neck when you use both pickups at the same time. The 85 can compliment the 81 greatly but only if you are willing to roll back the volume.

Last edited by Soulinsane : 2006-01-26 at 02:29.

Old 2006-01-26, 13:23
m3talhead666
Senior Metalhead

Yeap i tried rolling back the volume on my 85 and it sounds so good with the 81 Also i dont really get feedback anymore

Old 2006-02-01, 16:56
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

I'm not sure if this belongs here, but do any of you know if there is a guitar with an EMG 81 in the bridge postion and a 60 in the neck AND that has an Original Floyd Rose bridge???

Old 2006-02-01, 17:10
m3talhead666
Senior Metalhead

well i havent seen one. Why do you ask? there wouldnt be anything difficult installing those pickups with an OFR

Old 2006-02-01, 18:07
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

I'm asking because I don't know shit about installing hardware component (bridges, PU,etc) into a guitar and was hoping that there was a guitar with the shit i wanted already installed. I have no experience with electronics and am not that good when it comes to woodworking. Of my two axes, one has a non locking trem and the other a TOM bridge. I really want a OFR bridge but don't want to fuck with my axes since they are discontinued and i may not be able to buy a new one if i screw up. I guess I'll have to keep looking or save for a custom axe ...

Old 2006-02-01, 19:52
m3talhead666
Senior Metalhead

Save yourself from all that fucking trouble of getting a custom guitar and spending so much money!!!! Hmm so you've never had a floyd rose before? Check out this site to learn more about it and how to tune it http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/FloydTuning.htm

So, you should just buy a guitar with an OFR, buy the pickups and either learn how to solder and follow the wiring diagrams or give them to a guitar tech to connect the wires for you

Old 2006-02-01, 19:54
m3talhead666
Senior Metalhead

Before you get a Floyd i suggest reading the WHOLE page from that link i gave you. ESPECIALLY the tuning section, that is very important. In the end you would have to fuck around with the springs in the backplate to have the bridge parallel with the guitar.

You should think about if you reeeeeally want a floyd

Old 2006-02-02, 15:14
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

Thanks for the link. I already have to do most of that stuff with my guitar with the non locking trem. Its pretty much the same idea as the FR except it doesn't have the locking nut and the lock box. Thanks for you r concern though.
About the soldering thing, if I was to do it myself what type of soldering iron and solder would i need, and is that all i need to get the job done? Thanks man.

Old 2006-02-03, 19:13
m3talhead666
Senior Metalhead

You should get one at around 15-30W nothing more than that. also you should practise soldering on other things before you do it on your guitar.

Old 2006-02-03, 19:32
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

And make sure you use rosin core flux electronics solder only. DON'T USE PIPE OR WELDING SOLDER!!!

Old 2006-02-04, 13:05
Hunger Reigns...
New Blood

Fuck yeah, EMG's the shit...
I have 81(bridge) and 60(neck)on a mahoghany wood washburn WI64 Idol, and I have been using them for years, and I just cannot get tired of the bastards...
One question though:would I have more gain and more output if I use separate batteries( one for each)?

Old 2006-02-06, 00:45
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm gonna buy a soldering iron and solder once I get some more $$$. Any recommendations for a good iron or are they all pretty much the same? Is all of this stuff is available at Home Depot?

Hunger, i've never heard of one battery for EACH pickup. But i think you can wire 2 batteries in parallel for a longer battery life OR in series for more output (I'm not sure about that one though?)

Old 2006-02-06, 01:36
amerok
Senior Metalhead

after putting in emgs when im on a clean channel i get distortion if i play loudly (on the guitar). do they always do that? its possible that i fucked up on the wiring or something but with distortion the emgs sound great.

thorns - they are pretty much all the same and homedepot should have what you need.

Old 2006-02-06, 04:20
m3talhead666
Senior Metalhead

You can wire each pickup to a battery, the problem is that you won't have any space to put them.

Old 2006-02-07, 05:22
*insert name here*
Jono

You can route battery cavity's.Not too hard a process.

Old 2006-02-07, 20:19
metal_monkey
Post-whore

would it be a waste of money to stick emgs into my grg 170 or just wait till i get a good guitar that comes with them?

Youve made me cry

Quote:

RIP this guy

Old 2006-02-08, 04:23
*insert name here*
Jono

Yeah dude it would be.I imagine they play like shit anyway,no matter how good the tone is.Save for a better guitar.

Old 2006-02-08, 04:53
metal_monkey
Post-whore

ok i think ill save up for a ran or a jackson or esp

Youve made me cry

Quote:

RIP this guy

Old 2006-02-10, 00:02
Dying_Fetus[FR]
New Blood

Exclamation What EMG's for Dying Fetus sound ?

Hi all
I'm french and i want to know what kind of active emg's would you prefer if you're crazy of that grind-HxC sound as in dying fetus or misery index! i wanna know what are better combos (81-85,81-81 or 81-60)for that kind of extreme sound;
Anybody could talk about the EMG AfterBurner too?
And what guitars fit best with emg actives ?(ESP,Jackson,BC Rich)

i hope my english is not too bad
Thanks a lot

DYING FETUS FOREVER !!!!!

Old 2006-02-10, 16:51
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

Ive played guitars with those combos of EMGs. The 81-85 is what most people have and it does sound very good. But the cleans on the 85 are good, but not as good on the 60. The 81-81 combo is probably my least fav combo, the 81 in the neck is too muddy and not very clear IMO. My fav combo would have to be the 81-60, its the most veratile pair IMO once again. If you want EMG difinetly get the 81 in the bridge. Its got the best sound there. As for the neck, it depends if you want to be able to play full open sounding warm chords, the 60 can handle it very well. The 85 can too but is not as warm sounding as the 60 IMO.
I saw a pic of John Gallagher with an ESP AX(the highest end model on the ESP site) and it has the 81-81 combo. But i think that he only uses the 81 in the bridge(not too sure though).

Old 2006-02-10, 16:55
Cyberwaste
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying_Fetus[FR]
Hi all
I'm french and i want to know what kind of active emg's would you prefer if you're crazy of that grind-HxC sound as in dying fetus or misery index! i wanna know what are better combos (81-85,81-81 or 81-60)for that kind of extreme sound;
Anybody could talk about the EMG AfterBurner too?
And what guitars fit best with emg actives ?(ESP,Jackson,BC Rich)

i hope my english is not too bad
Thanks a lot

DYING FETUS FOREVER !!!!!

What you want is the 81 dude, im sure that is what you hear

RIVERS OF GORE

Old 2006-02-10, 16:58
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

The afterburner system adds a preset level of gain/boost to your signal when switched on. I think that if you plan on getting active EMGs there is no use for the afterburner system.
There is no guitar that is best for EMGs,its preference.Im sure that all of those companies you mentioned,if their higher end models are fitted with EMGs they will all sound good i think.

You cant just expect to get the DF sound thru pickups,though. I dont have EMGs yet, but I play my Washburns through a SS Randall and I can get a good DF sound. BTW they tune to C#.

EDIT: ...And yes DYING FETUS OWNS!!!

Last edited by ThornsOfHeaven200 : 2006-02-10 at 17:01.

Old 2006-02-10, 16:59
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

Have any of you used the EMG 60A? Its suppose to have alnico mags instead.
How does the 60A compare to the 60?

Old 2006-02-10, 18:27
m3talhead666
Senior Metalhead

Yeap the afterburner is just a lot more feedback and noise, thats what i heard from a number of people that have it

Old 2006-02-10, 18:28
m3talhead666
Senior Metalhead

Shit, sorry that was the pa 20 booster, my mistake

Old 2006-02-11, 14:37
Dying_Fetus[FR]
New Blood

Thanks guys !
I was thinking about owning the 81 but I wonder if the sound is better with some kind of pedals with those EMG's.I have the Boss MT-2 which i found very good but with my jackson pickups it only sounds good ( I want a destructive sound )
and i've heard that the afterburner is a really amazing distortion booster and that pinch harmonics are really easy when it's used the right way

See ya in hell !