whatever you want...

"Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2005-03-10, 15:52
blizzard_beast
Post-whore

Didn't you get banned?
No we can't do that. Go and play an instrument that has them.

Old 2005-03-15, 17:51
Disincarnate
But why is the rum gone ?

it seems that y battery gets over in about 20 days or so.....i genrally play my bass for an hour and a half everyday.......how long does your battery last??? and do you take em out when you have finished playing??

Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely

Quote:
Guitarists are just people who could Never make it as a Bassist

www.riversofgore.com

Join The Forum CUNT

Old 2005-03-15, 17:59
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

I unplug the jack from the guitar to save battery life. I play 1-2 hours a day too and my batteries last for 6 months+. I just replace them after 6 months no matter what. I use 1 9V battery but 2 can be placed in even series, for 18V boost, or parallel, for added battery life.

I should add that I use super high capacity 9V batteries too. They cost $10 a pop but are worth it.

Old 2005-03-15, 18:03
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS
EMG's will pretty much ignore and tonal qualities of wood.. So you'll always have that EMG tone, and if thats what your looking for then put EMG's in any guitar you want.

Passives rely on the tonal qualities of the wood to help shape their tone. I just find it stupid that people with buy a guitar with quality tone woods and then slap some EMG's in their..

quality of the rest of the guitar affects sustain and tone anyway, it's not all about pickups, for instance, EMG's will sound damn heavy in a les paul but way less heavy in an sg or bolt-on rg. (or thinner bodies guitars in general) same goes for wood etc.

EMG's do use the tonal quality of the wood but less then passives do. still, their tone is greatly affected by the rest of the guitar, just play an esp KH2 and try an LP with emg's after that and you'll know what I mean

Old 2005-03-15, 22:14
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

well obviously, attack and sustain will differ from each guitar, but EMG's do nothing to amplify the tone woods.

and dont worry this isent and EMG bash, just facts from my personal experience.. no need to pull an XDX

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2005-03-22, 02:02
Zanifer
New Blood

Quick question, a few actually. I am using an NDM1 Ibanez, i'm not asking about combatability, YOu see there exists 3 ports, two humbuckers (Neck and bridge) and then a single coil.

Question A, I would like to get the EMG-85 as NECK, EMG-81 for BRIDGE, and then of course a single coil, What is your guys input on and EMG-S4, or do you recomend a better pickup, i prefer to play metal.

Question B, if i were to be stuck with a 5 way switch, would i be better getting the third position as all pickups, just the humbuckers or just the single coil?

Question C, last question. Once a conclusion has been met can anyone recomend a diagram as far as electronics go, for i only see a dual humbuckers setup diagram on the site.

Old 2005-03-23, 17:06
John Holland
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Banned

Just received my Schecter C-1 Classic today ...

My new EMG 81/85 set shits all over the former JB/Jazz set, to voice it in the vernacular ... they're performing in the way I had exactly hoped for.

Old 2005-03-23, 20:23
Zanifer
New Blood

Quick question, a few actually. I am using an NDM1 Ibanez, i'm not asking about combatability, You see, there exists 3 ports, two humbuckers (Neck and bridge) and then a single coil.

Question A, I would like to get the EMG-85 as NECK, EMG-81 for BRIDGE, and then of course a single coil, What is your guys input on and EMG-S4, or do you recomend a better pickup, i prefer to play metal.

Question B, if i were to be stuck with a 5 way switch, would i be better getting the third position as all pickups, just the humbuckers or just the single coil?

Question C, last question. Once a conclusion has been met can anyone recomend a diagram as far as electronics go, for i only see a dual humbuckers setup diagram on the site.

Old 2005-03-24, 02:15
Soeru
Post-whore

Okay, I'm planning on buying my first guitar soon, an ESP EX-50. The $220 axe comes with ESP LH-100 humbucker pickups, but I'm thinking of getting a set of EMG's soon after. Can anybody please explain the 85, 81, and 60 pickup models and their differences, and let me know which combination is best? I'd also like an estimate of what the pick-ups will cost me, and how damned hard it will be to install them. Thanks in advance.
Edit: Oh, and where the hell is the battery placed? Like inside the body wired to the EMG or does the EMG have a little battery compartment? Do the pickups work even if there's no battery/batter is dead?

Last edited by Soeru : 2005-03-24 at 02:20.

Old 2005-03-24, 10:06
John Holland
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeru
Okay, I'm planning on buying my first guitar soon, an ESP EX-50. The $220 axe comes with ESP LH-100 humbucker pickups, but I'm thinking of getting a set of EMG's soon after. Can anybody please explain the 85, 81, and 60 pickup models and their differences, and let me know which combination is best? I'd also like an estimate of what the pick-ups will cost me, and how damned hard it will be to install them. Thanks in advance.
Edit: Oh, and where the hell is the battery placed? Like inside the body wired to the EMG or does the EMG have a little battery compartment? Do the pickups work even if there's no battery/batter is dead?
\

The battery will just be placed anywhere it can fit, within the cavity where the pots are located. So, inside the body. And the pickups do need the battery to operate, but they last quite a long time. Make sure to unplug the instrument after use.

I recommend quite simply, an 81 in the bridge and an 85 at the neck. I obtained my set through E-bay : My 81 costed 40$, and my 85 costed 80$, and I paid 25$ to have them both installed. If you're not absolutely sure you can install them, have a technician do it.

Old 2005-03-24, 13:46
Necro_Butcher
Post-whore

Ok get this load of crap

I walk into sobers(local music store) on saturday ask them if they can install my EMG 85 into the bridge position of my jackson. They said they could. So i then asked them if they were fine with mixing active and passive pickups, they then said they could do it.

So by the time tuesday rolls around(they said it would be done by then) the tech has only picked up the guitar and it won't be ready till wednesday

I call wednesday and then they want to know if i want to still go through with it because my pots are gonna have to be switched. this pissed me off alot since i had already talked to employe about needed new pots. so anyways i then tell them that i definatly still want it to be done.

So when i just called 20 minutes ago.....

They say that their tech WILL NOT do it because it involves too much rewiring.

FOR FUCKS SAKE

thats 5 days i could of had that guitar, and now i have to find someone else to do it.

Can anyone help me out????

Old 2005-03-24, 15:44
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

"To much rewiring" translates into a dude that doesn't know shit and calls himself a tech. The lazy fuck. Anyone that knows even a little about electronics can do that job. All you have to do is find a schematic ( if you don't have it in your mind already ) and know how to use a soldering iron. Sorry to hear about the BS they gave you.

Do you have any electronics experience?

Old 2005-03-24, 16:11
Necro_Butcher
Post-whore

Nope, no experience

anyways ive got some real technicians to contact now after asking around abit.

anyways im going back to the store now and im gonna try and get a free pair of strings off them

Old 2005-03-24, 19:08
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Time to learn, Guitarelectronics.com

E-mail EMG too, they respond quickly.

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2005-03-24, 22:37
John Holland
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulinsane
"To much rewiring" translates into a dude that doesn't know shit and calls himself a tech. The lazy fuck. Anyone that knows even a little about electronics can do that job. All you have to do is find a schematic ( if you don't have it in your mind already ) and know how to use a soldering iron. Sorry to hear about the BS they gave you.

What's even worse is that they won't admit their ineptitude up front, and instead will wait a week before telling you they don't know how to install them ( and you have to contact them first! ) ... true story. Then you take it to a competent guitar technician and have him install it in the same afternoon

Old 2005-03-25, 00:28
Necro_Butcher
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS
Time to learn, Guitarelectronics.com

E-mail EMG too, they respond quickly.

i will take a look at that

although i just got a hold of this kick ass electronics worker

he actually told me if he couldnt do it he would tell me straight up, but said he couldnt find any reason why he couldnt

also its not gonna be very costy....

Old 2005-03-26, 04:04
SurfingAlien
New Blood

Question

I just had an EMG-81 installed at the bridge of my Epi Les Paul Standard. The tech said that it renders the stock neck pickup inactive. I am a biology major so the extent of my wiring knowledge is that V=IR or something like that. Anyway, is this the case or did he get lazy? Please help me out cuz I started experimenting with the neck pup a lot right before I had the EMG-81 installed, especially with flowing solos, and I kinda liked it. I had no idea that it would be disconnected. Thanks.

Old 2005-03-26, 04:33
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfingAlien
I just had an EMG-81 installed at the bridge of my Epi Les Paul Standard. The tech said that it renders the stock neck pickup inactive. I am a biology major so the extent of my wiring knowledge is that V=IR or something like that. Anyway, is this the case or did he get lazy? Please help me out cuz I started experimenting with the neck pup a lot right before I had the EMG-81 installed, especially with flowing solos, and I kinda liked it. I had no idea that it would be disconnected. Thanks.

It is a lie that the neck pup has to be disconnected. That is the easy way of wiring a active and passive; to just kill the passive It isn't hard to keep them both but the passive will have about 80% less output then the active and will be notablly different in volume unless compensated for by channel switching while changing pup position on the guitar at the same time.

Old 2005-03-26, 04:51
Necrovore
Metalhead

http://www.sonic.net/~emgman/actpass.html
That is the guide from EMG on wiring actives and passives

Old 2005-03-26, 04:54
SurfingAlien
New Blood

Quote:
It is a lie that the neck pup has to be disconnected. That is the easy way of wiring a active and passive; to just kill the passive It isn't hard to keep them both but the passive will have about 80% less output then the active and will be notablly different in volume unless compensated for by channel switching while changing pup position on the guitar at the same time.

In your opinion (and anyone else's) is it worth the trouble to go back and ask them to connect the neck pup? If there aren't any disadvantages to it, then I would really like it connected.

Old 2005-03-26, 04:57
SurfingAlien
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrovore
http://www.sonic.net/~emgman/actpass.html
That is the guide from EMG on wiring actives and passives

Hey thanks for the link. I will probably take a copy of the relevant diagram with me to the shop.

Old 2005-03-26, 05:05
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfingAlien
In your opinion (and anyone else's) is it worth the trouble to go back and ask them to connect the neck pup? If there aren't any disadvantages to it, then I would really like it connected.

Have it done. It only take a few minutes to connect and you can still have a passive neck pup. Don't let them fuck you on the price either. I'm finding that most techs are just lazy. It is nothing to install a pup and wire it.

Edit: The passive will have a notable lower volume though, unless wired to cut the active pup when selected.

Last edited by Soulinsane : 2005-03-26 at 05:08.

Old 2005-03-26, 10:47
Necro_Butcher
Post-whore

Quote:

Do you have any electronics experience?

Hey man

Im friends with a guy who works there and he is stealing a pile of strings for me to get even with them.
Usually id rather not steal, but the owner of the store has it coming to him, asshole cheers man

Old 2005-03-28, 22:36
SurfingAlien
New Blood

Well I took the diagram to the tech telling him to connect my passive neck pickup (after the phone call where he said it was not possible) and he then said that it was possible but most people preferred not to have it connected. I just picked up the guitar and he said there would be some buzzing on the neck pickup (he told me he did not follow the diagram). Now playing on it at home, it is just as good as disconnected there is so much buzzing, and it's even picking up radio signals. I'm not sure what to do anymore!

Edit: The neck pickup is surprisingly not a lower output like Soulinsane said might be the case if it cuts off the active. Any ideas why there is buzzing?

Last edited by SurfingAlien : 2005-03-28 at 22:39. Reason: addition

Old 2005-03-29, 01:39
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Buzz... Like what kinda buzz? I also mean to correct myself about the lower output thing. That only happens when they are both used together.

I'm going to guess that what is causing the buzz is that the battery is still running power via the input jack into the passive. I can think of a few ways to correct that problem if that is the case too. Just a little imagination. One way would be to have a double pole selector switch so that when you select the EMG it can power it up; while it disconects battery power to the passive when selected. I don't know if there is a 2 pole switch for guitars, so let me do some checking and thinking and I will walk you through how to fix all this yourself. Then you can install all your own stuff for now on. I will teach you, Grasshopper, the ancient ways of the ET

First thing I need to know is how many Vol and tone knobs you have as well what kind of selector switch you have. Also, can both pups work together or do they work seperate?

Old 2005-03-29, 03:42
SurfingAlien
New Blood

You are too kind, master. 2 vol, 2 tone knobs. 3 pickup selector, middle position is a combination of both (that was the way it was stock, and seems to be that way now, too). So that's the answer to your second question, too. Thanks for your help.

Oh and the buzz is like something I haven't heard before. It buzzes very strongly when my fingers are depressed on the strings, and lightly anyway when they're not. But it doesn't do the strong buzzing when a pick rests on the strings. The light buzz is kinda like when you turn on a computer monitor in front of the pickup without a gate.

Last edited by SurfingAlien : 2005-03-29 at 03:47.

Old 2005-04-02, 06:07
SurfingAlien
New Blood

Exclamation

I just bought an EMG 60 to end my misery of mixing active/passive pups. For those of you who are still looking to buy and EMG active pickup, this eBay seller has VERY decent prices. Go to this site:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZwholesaleQ5fguitars

I got my EMG 60 for ~$85 with shipping.

Old 2005-04-12, 23:56
the_bleeding
Post-whore

fookin question

Now, the Jackson MG series comes with EMG-HZ (passive) pickups, and an EMG afterburner. I've looked around the internet, and people say that the afterburner makes the EMG's active. I, personally, think that they are full of shit.... are they?

I need actives to cut off the feedback caused by having 3 distortion pedals in a chain... would the afterburner cut that shit out?

Old 2005-04-13, 00:38
philkilla
Crusher of Skulls

Hey guys, I have an urgent qusetion:

I am installing EMG's (81 and 60) into my Ibanez RGT 42....and I have a problem. The input jack that comes with the EMG's isn't long enough to reach out of the guitar. (The stock one is much longer than the EMG version)

I did find this online though,Longer Input for EMG , I don't know if it is what I need or not though.....lack of description.

My next question though, the EMG always say you can't use the stock input jack...is there a viable reason for that? Is it the material or the componets....someone please help me out here...QUICK!!!!!!!

My Trust is in WHISKEY and WEEDand SLAYER
Long live DIMEBAG
ROGspace Cunts. Book us

Quote:
Originally Posted by far_beyond_sane
You thought of mixing wheat flour with saturated fat, and putting it the resultant shit in a styrofoam cup. Shine on, you crazy dead yellow diamond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
May the best cunt win.

Old 2005-04-13, 00:50
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title

dunno. If EMG says you shouldnt use the stock jack, then I wouldn't. I dont know why it wouldn't work though..

Old 2005-04-13, 02:29
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Quote:
Originally Posted by philkilla666

I am installing EMG's (81 and 60) into my Ibanez RGT 42....and I have a problem. The input jack that comes with the EMG's isn't long enough to reach out of the guitar. (The stock one is much longer than the EMG version)

I did find this online though,Longer Input for EMG , I don't know if it is what I need or not though.....lack of description.

My next question though, the EMG always say you can't use the stock input jack...is there a viable reason for that? Is it the material or the componets....someone please help me out here...QUICK!!!!!!!

The EMG jack is a stereo jack, if your Ibanez is a stero jack than it should work.

IE You need three prongs.

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2005-04-13, 04:43
philkilla
Crusher of Skulls

I hooked it all up according to the schematic....and now all I have is the faint guitar sound....like the battery is disconnected.....but its already connected!!!

now I'm lost

Long live DIMEBAG
ROGspace Cunts. Book us

Quote:
You thought of mixing wheat flour with saturated fat, and putting it the resultant shit in a styrofoam cup. Shine on, you crazy dead yellow diamond.

Quote:
May the best cunt win.

Old 2005-04-13, 05:31
Slabbefusk
FUCKING HOFF-STYLE!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
Now, the Jackson MG series comes with EMG-HZ (passive) pickups, and an EMG afterburner. I've looked around the internet, and people say that the afterburner makes the EMG's active. I, personally, think that they are full of shit.... are they?

I need actives to cut off the feedback caused by having 3 distortion pedals in a chain... would the afterburner cut that shit out?

Theyre full of shit. The afterburner can be used with passive pickups as well and it doesnt make them active.

EDIT: No the afterburner will just add to the feedback. Its a gain booster.

Old 2005-04-13, 05:33
Slabbefusk

Quote:

Dang I should have thought of this too..

Old 2005-04-13, 14:50
BEHEMOTH
Senior Metalhead

HEy!

I,ve got an old guitar, I found it somewhere and it has SELECT pickups. Somebody told me that these were EMG pickups. Do you know something about this??? ANd are any good??

THankxxx

Old 2005-04-13, 14:59
obrien20
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEHEMOTH
HEy!

I,ve got an old guitar, I found it somewhere and it has SELECT pickups. Somebody told me that these were EMG pickups. Do you know something about this??? ANd are any good??

THankxxx
what's the guitar?

Old 2005-04-13, 16:34
Slabbefusk

EMG Select are crap pickups. Worse than HZ.

About the jack philkilla if it has 3 small lugs then it shouldnt be a problem. Mine has and EMG said its okay to use it.

Old 2005-04-13, 16:49
BEHEMOTH
Senior Metalhead

This one is the shitty guitar (I think is shitty), and it has selcet PUs. I,m thinking to sell it to someone,

http://users.iafrica.com/t/te/tedb/Pix/335.JPG

Old 2005-04-13, 17:35
philkilla
Crusher of Skulls

I installed it down to the schematic....but its not working yet. It sounds like the battery isn't installed (if you know what that sounds like) really faint....my friends gonna check it out with a multimeter today though.....BTW, its a an Ibanez RGT 42 with a 60 in the neck and a 81 in the bridge....

Long live DIMEBAG
ROGspace Cunts. Book us

Quote:

Quote:
May the best cunt win.

Old 2005-04-14, 15:02
Slabbefusk

Do you have that weird pickup selector with like 12 pins on it?

Old 2005-04-14, 18:20
philkilla
Crusher of Skulls

just 8 pins

Long live DIMEBAG
ROGspace Cunts. Book us

Quote:

Quote:
May the best cunt win.

Old 2005-04-16, 18:58
philkilla
Crusher of Skulls

ok, this is starting to piss me off, I'm using this schematic:

2 pickup 1 volume set-up

My Ibanez RGT 42 has a five way selector knob, but that is no where to be found on this page

EMG wiring diags.

Someone please help

I'm trying to wire for a 2-pickup one volume set-up...but there is the 5-way pickup selector....nothing is helping at the moment either!!

Long live DIMEBAG
ROGspace Cunts. Book us

Quote:

Quote:
May the best cunt win.

Last edited by philkilla666 : 2005-04-16 at 19:46.

Old 2005-04-16, 19:52
John Holland
Banned

Quote:
ok, this is starting to piss me off, I'm using this schematic:

2 pickup 1 volume set-up

My Ibanez RGT 42 has a five way selector knob, but that is no where to be found on this page

EMG wiring diags.

Someone please help

I'm trying to wire for a 2-pickup one volume set-up...but there is the 5-way pickup selector....nothing is helping at the moment either!!

I had a 5-way selector for mine ... EMG's, the 81 and 85, have no coil tapping capabilities, and what my local shop did was put in a new selector, I think. The installation for both pickups and the new selector was 25$ total. I really know nothing of pickup installation or schematics. But you would think that they who are handing out these schematics would have something to say about 5 way selectors ...

Today at the music store I was playing, and one of the locals complimented me on how well my guitar sounded as I was walking out. The irony is that he hates EMG's even more than BLS does

Old 2005-04-16, 20:00
HermanRi!
Post-whore

hey philla, i would suggest getting a new switch all together, and plus, you only need a 3 way selecter so i would change it if i was you.

same with you slab, go for a new selector

Old 2005-04-16, 20:23
John Holland
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by User01
hey philla, i would suggest getting a new switch all together, and plus, you only need a 3 way selecter so i would change it if i was you.

^

The technicians at my local store just installed a new switch and waived the fees for that, so they can't cost that much. Have a technician do it, so if it malfunctions in won't be your fault, and then you can yell at them to remedy it.

Old 2005-04-18, 05:15
HelpMeHelpYou
Supreme Metalhead

Aside from having more mids(85) what would be the tone differences between an 85 and an 81 in the bridge?

Old 2005-04-19, 19:48
Slabbefusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by User01

I already went to a tech to have some stuff fixed, like lowering the pickup because the route was too shallow and I fucked up wiring my EMG's so theyll fix it too.

Old 2005-04-19, 20:13
HermanRi!
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slabbefusk
I already went to a tech to have some stuff fixed, like lowering the pickup because the route was too shallow and I fucked up wiring my EMG's so theyll fix it too.

gdgd

so are you gonna make the p'up cavities deeper?

Old 2005-04-19, 20:23
Slabbefusk

Yepp.

Old 2005-04-24, 16:04
Equimanthorne
New Blood

How to wire 3 way switch to 81/85

Greetings,

I am having a hard time figuring out how to wire the 3 way selector switch to the 81/85 pickups. The diagram indicates that there should be a RED, BLACK, WHITE, and a BARE wire coming from the switch. My Problem is there is a LARGE WHITE wire with a RED, WHITE, and a BARE wire. And on top of this there is a GRAY wire with a WHITE and a BARE. So it seems I have a couple extra wires. If it helps I am using Diagram 1 that came with the EMG set, as that one was the closest match to my setup. My guitar is an Epiphone Zakk Wyle Les Paul. The way I have it wired right now gives me ok distortion with some light hum/buzz. I also get a very fuzzy sound with a clean setting, as the strings are plucked. At any rate any suggestions you might come up with will be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Equimanthorne

Old 2005-05-12, 18:12
Local_Hero
Metalhead

So, I have decided to replace the Ibanez DXP and DXJ's in my bass with EMG P/J's. My question is, can I use the controls included in my EQ(Volume, fade pickup selector and of course, the EQ) instead of the ones they include in the package(two individual volume knobs, master tone control)?

Also, should I wire another battery(that will be an 18v supply, I am considering it because my bass isn't quite loud as of now, with the active EQ, I believe the pickups are passive)?

Another thing, it is made of mahogany, with what I believe is a three piece maple neck and some kind of exotic wood on the fingerboard. Does anyone feel I shouldn't use active pickups?

Old 2005-05-13, 18:02
the_bleeding
Post-whore

correct me if im wrong...

aren't active emg's just pickups that have been incredibly underwound and sealed in epoxy to kill the buzz, then run through a pre-amp to increase the volume?

so wouldn't that mean that you can't get much out of them? sure your low end would be tighter than a 12yr old, but thats because theres no high end (because there is no buzz) to fuck with it...

so this would mean you could get probably 2 sounds... the extreme clean sound, with lovely low tone, but no brightness, and then the extreme distorted sound, with no high end crackle or grind... sure you could add more pedals to it... but thats more money

sooooo.... why get one?
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2005-05-13, 18:20
Local_Hero
Metalhead

Well, there is high end, just no hum or magnetic interference to the strings. Plus, actives tend to cover up some of the tone of the wood.

Old 2005-05-15, 01:18
the_bleeding
Post-whore

i feel like a dickhead... i just played the KKV, loaded with emg 81/85s it was like ... if that guitar was a chick, i wouldn't even wait to ask it out first, i'd just start going at it. i dont know whether it was the pickups, or the massive marshall stack i was playing on, but the distortion was SWEET. it was all acidic style... kinda like the music to Quake II, all high, all low, almost no mid...

anybody know if a S.Duncan can sound anywhere near as awesome?
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2005-05-15, 03:04
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Yeh.. cause mids are gay

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2005-05-15, 21:22
the_bleeding
Post-whore

yes, mids are gay... like 70's and 80's hair metal... hehehhe

Old 2005-05-15, 21:27
younguitarist
Post-whore

You're an idiot

Old 2005-05-15, 21:32
the_bleeding
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by younguitarist
You're an idiot

that wasnt very nice

Old 2005-05-20, 07:39
SurfingAlien
New Blood

emg 60 underrated

Wow. I just have to praise this pickup. It kinda sounds vintage, but man with lotsa gain it pushes everything you wanna say through. I have this with a 81(bridge) on my Les Paul(people need to stop calling these toys!!!). And it is pretty surprising how low the pickup height needs to be to match volume with the 81, and the 81 is WAY high. I couldn't tell a noticeable difference in tone setting the height so low, and it fixed some problems I was having with fret buzz, probably the magnets pulling the strings down more than my passives is what the techs have been saying. I'm happy.

Old 2005-05-28, 23:22
Clan IC
New Blood

I have a Ibanez RG520QSTB guitar and Im thinking about getting new pick ups on it. But Im not quite sure if EMG pick ups is the right way to go. My friends tell me it will make my guitar sound like all the other guitars with EMG's, and I dont wan to sound like every one else. I want to put something in that will give me really long sustain and really phat lows and good mids.

Old 2005-05-29, 00:08
Local_Hero
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan IC
I have a Ibanez RG520QSTB guitar and Im thinking about getting new pick ups on it. But Im not quite sure if EMG pick ups is the right way to go. My friends tell me it will make my guitar sound like all the other guitars with EMG's, and I dont wan to sound like every one else. I want to put something in that will give me really long sustain and really phat lows and good mids.

They're just jealous because your pickups will be better than theirs.

Get EMG 60's for your neck position.

Old 2005-05-29, 05:31
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Lowered mids can be cool most times and is a trademark or most rock/metal mixes but for Gods sake don't kill them all. I boost some very specific mid freq to get a most brutal sound. Believe me, you need mids... at least some.

Old 2005-05-29, 18:18
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Lowered mids are never cool... and are only a trademark for nu-metal bands.

If you play one finger powerchords then lower your mids all you want.. no one will care. If you playing technical stuff.. then you better raise your fucking mids unless you want a big muddy mess.

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2005-06-01, 16:26
k13m
Post-whore

k i didnt read this whole thread so dont flame me...

i want some emg in my jackson usa, cuz the sd i use now are muddy as fuck.

i assume emg 81 and 85 are the best to get??????????
do i need a battery for each pu or do they both go on 1 battery???

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2005-06-01, 16:34
etherealprince
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by k13m
k i didnt read this whole thread so dont flame me...

i want some emg in my jackson usa, cuz the sd i use now are muddy as fuck.

i assume emg 81 and 85 are the best to get??????????
do i need a battery for each pu or do they both go on 1 battery???

EMG 81/85 are a good choice. If you want to play cleans too, go for the 81/60 setup, which is what I use. You will only need one 9v battery to power both pickups, and the battery lasts a long ass time. The pups only draw power from it when you have a cable plugged into the jack, so as soon as you unplug it, it stops pulling from the battery.

Old 2005-06-01, 17:55
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

You can get great cleans from 81/85 as well. It is a bit more beafy with an 85 whlie the 60 is very crisp.

Old 2005-06-01, 18:26
Soeru
Post-whore

I will be purchasing a high end ESP Ltd. with an 81/60 setup very soon. By "crisp" do you mean clear? I've heard the audio demos at the EMG site. One with the 60 at the neck, sounded deep and full of tone, and one with the 85 at the neck, which didn't sound as brutal.

Some people say that it's better to keep the 81 at the neck and the 60 at the bridge, giving you a balance of good rythms and sweet leads. I've also heard that the 60 has more punch at the neck...

Is it possible to tap a pickup without actually changing it's position? The axe I'm planning to buy has a "3-way toggle", I assume this is what I'm talking about, but that's me(still a noob to electrics) talking.

Also... would it be a cool idea to replace the 60 with an 85 in the future? Or is it a waste of cash?

If someone could elaborate a bit more on the other EMG actives like the 89 that would be cool. I'm just curious.

Old 2005-06-01, 18:36
k13m
Post-whore

i hardly play clean but i want some nice solo sound, but i guess a 85 should be ok??

ive never played an guitar with emg but i hate the muddyness of my seymours so

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2005-06-01, 21:23
Soeru
Post-whore

Quote:
i hardly play clean but i want some nice solo sound, but i guess a 85 should be ok??

ive never played an guitar with emg but i hate the muddyness of my seymours so

I believe that the 81 is the ideal EMG for leads, 85 is more for rythm right?

Old 2005-06-01, 21:25
k13m
Post-whore

Quote:
I believe that the 81 is the ideal EMG for leads, 85 is more for rythm right?
im confused here, lead = rifs and rhythm = solos roght

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2005-06-01, 21:34
Soeru
Post-whore

Umm... no. Lead guitar = flashy solos, rythm guitar = riffs.

A lot of lead guitarists that use only 1 pickup use an 81... an example would be Alexi Laiho, Peter(Vader), ... Kirk Hammet uses a dual set of 81's.

Old 2005-06-05, 10:26
Josh
Metalhead

Figured I'd put this in the appropriate thread. Right now I'm playing an ESP Maverick (guessing late 80's-early 90's) with an EMG SA neck pickup, and what I think is an EMG 85 Bridge, possibly an 81. Has 1 volume and a 3 way switch with coil tap. The problem is it sounds like shit with anything I play it through on the bridge p-up (85?), from my POD to my Ampeg half stack to the 10 watt practice amp. Compared to my Epiphone Les Paul with stock p-ups, it has less low end, sounds tinny, crap harmonics, and low output. Basically sounds really weak, which doesn't seem right from what I've heard with other EMG equipped guitars. I had changed the battery a while back and it really didn't help much either...just wondering what might be going on...maybe wired wrong? Awesome guitar, but I never played it because of the horrid sound, and now the Epi is disabled so I'm forced to. Any ideas?

Old 2005-06-05, 22:03
the_bleeding
Post-whore

Quote:
Umm... no. Lead guitar = flashy solos, rythm guitar = riffs.

A lot of lead guitarists that use only 1 pickup use an 81... an example would be Alexi Laiho, Peter(Vader), ... Kirk Hammet uses a dual set of 81's.

doesnt Laiho use HZ-4's....

Old 2005-06-05, 22:11
MetalThrashingMad
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

Yea, definately HZ's

Old 2005-06-05, 22:31
the_bleeding
Post-whore

its just that i saw a bunch of guitars on ebay that turned out to be ESP laiho custom jobs... all of them $2500+, and all with HZ's

personally... i'd never buy SOMEBODY ELSES custom for so much fucking money its like... giving away your money for someone elses image... and with such crappy pickups? The emg passives just sound so... lifeless.

Old 2005-06-06, 02:17
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
The emg passives just sound so... lifeless.

So do the actives..

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2005-06-12, 08:01
Poof Daddy
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS
So do the actives..

so so true, unless you use lots of wah or something to cover up the sound.

Old 2005-06-12, 09:03
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS
So do the actives..

Don't you have 'em in ur Ibanez? And don't you like Dimebag's low mids?

Old 2005-06-12, 17:54
the_bleeding
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS
So do the actives..

heh... yeahhh.... i was playing guitars the other day... one had the 81/85... and the other had S.Duncan distortions.... there was no competition.

Old 2005-06-12, 18:09
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Night 6 6

1.) Yes

2.) In certain instances

Now what's your point?

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2005-06-14, 19:00
Soeru
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by etherealprince
EMG 81/85 are a good choice. If you want to play cleans too, go for the 81/60 setup, which is what I use. You will only need one 9v battery to power both pickups, and the battery lasts a long ass time. The pups only draw power from it when you have a cable plugged into the jack, so as soon as you unplug it, it stops pulling from the battery.

Would using only the 81 sound much different from a 81/81 combo? One retailer sells the guitar I want with a set of 81/60, while all the others sell it with the 81/81 combo at the same price. I'm probably going with the 81/60 since it'll be more versatile, unless the 81/81 sounds a hell of a lot better.

Old 2005-06-14, 19:50
Disincarnate
But why is the rum gone ?

this is kinda off topic but how long does your battery last?

if i keep it inside the guitar and unhook the cable then it lasts for about a month and if i take out the battery completely from my bass then it lasts for about 2.5 months

Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely

Quote:
Guitarists are just people who could Never make it as a Bassist

www.riversofgore.com

Join The Forum CUNT

Old 2005-06-14, 21:09
k13m
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disincarnate
this is kinda off topic but how long does your battery last?

if i keep it inside the guitar and unhook the cable then it lasts for about a month and if i take out the battery completely from my bass then it lasts for about 2.5 months
that cant be right it should last for a long fucking time, maybe thay wired it wrong so the battery keeps leeking energie??????

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2005-06-14, 21:31
Six_Feet_Under_420
Post-whore

I need to replace the battery in my guitar every 6-7 months or so. And my guitar has a gain booster I don't know if that costs extra battery "energy"
+-+ .....::::: Alive to Live, Not to Believe....In a God that I cannot see :::::..... +-+

Old 2005-06-14, 21:38
k13m
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six_Feet_Under_420
I need to replace the battery in my guitar every 6-7 months or so. And my guitar has a gain booster I don't know if that costs extra battery "energy"
im not sure but i think it doesntmatter that much... btw the guitarbuilder that putted my emg's in my axe says that i could leave the cable in for a month and the battery would still not be completely empty, and the emg'factory thingy says that the battery should last 300 play hours so

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2005-06-15, 02:18
Soeru
Post-whore

Quote:
im not sure but i think it doesntmatter that much... btw the guitarbuilder that putted my emg's in my axe says that i could leave the cable in for a month and the battery would still not be completely empty, and the emg'factory thingy says that the battery should last 300 play hours so

3000* hours.

Old 2005-06-15, 02:59
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

Hey this RR has EMG's, if you look on the back, there's a little thing behind the electronics cavity, is that like a flip out thing or something for the batteries?
Attached Images
File Type: bmp RR-J1.bmp (99.4 KB, 81 views)

Old 2005-06-15, 03:46
Soeru
Post-whore

Quote:
Hey this RR has EMG's, if you look on the back, there's a little thing behind the electronics cavity, is that like a flip out thing or something for the batteries?

Doesn't look like an RR to me... I think so, but the pic is to small to tell. I'm a bit curious as to where the battery is located. It's only necessary to open a compartment and voila right?

Old 2005-06-15, 05:47
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

Quote:
Doesn't look like an RR to me... I think so, but the pic is to small to tell. I'm a bit curious as to where the battery is located. It's only necessary to open a compartment and voila right?

WTF? I know that pic. is tiny as hell, but how does that not look like an RR to you? I think it has something to do with the batteries, because all the EMG ones of the Jackson Stars series seems to have that lil cavity in the back.

Old 2005-06-15, 13:50
MadDog McDoogan
New Blood

Has anyone here had a problem with their EMGs humming?.

Old 2005-06-16, 05:01
Soeru
Post-whore

Quote:
Would using only the 81 sound much different from a 81/81 combo? One retailer sells the guitar I want with a set of 81/60, while all the others sell it with the 81/81 combo at the same price. I'm probably going with the 81/60 since it'll be more versatile, unless the 81/81 sounds a hell of a lot better.

?

Old 2005-06-16, 05:17
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Im not a fan of having two of the same pickups on a guitar.

The 60 has a much better clean anyways.. the 81's cleans are just lifeless..

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2005-06-16, 06:28
i_hate_nu_metal
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:

Dime played Seymour Duncans.

Old 2005-06-16, 06:38
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

No, he played Bill Lawrence's

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2005-06-16, 07:23
Slabbefusk

Mixed with Duncans .

Old 2005-06-16, 07:24
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Jackass..

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2005-06-16, 19:20
fatdanny
Post-whore

I'm thinking of buying a second hand emg 81, but without all the jack and pots and stuff you get with it new.
I know I have to buy a stereo jack socket (3 prongs isn't it?), but can I use the stock pots or do I need to replace them as well?

Old 2005-06-16, 19:26
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

You will need to replace them with 25k ohm pots.

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2005-06-16, 20:50
fatdanny
Post-whore

BLS, will the one on this page

http://wdmusicproducts.co.uk/Mercha...tegory_Code=PTS

do the job?

also, will i need a new resistor (at least I think it's a resistor, see the attatched pic) too?

I am only replacing one pickup, each has independent volume control, so do I only replace the pots for tone and emg volume and leave the stock pot in for the volume on the remaining stock pickup?

Thanks alot for your help

Last edited by fatdanny : 2005-06-17 at 13:02.