MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2004-09-02, 20:50
feetunderwarpath
Metalhead

hey anyone know if the emg hz pickups are any good, I know that some Jackson guitars come with them stock, I'm thinking about buying one if them
(It's really nice, thru neck, mahogany wood, looks good)

Love is for the weak, religion is for the blind.

Old 2004-09-02, 22:04
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

They suck.

"Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2004-09-03, 18:43
genocide circus
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS
They suck.

the pickups, not the guitar

Old 2004-09-03, 19:01
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

nice waste of a post

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2004-09-08, 04:32
DECAPITATOR
New Blood

well i bought a jackson and it came with emg-hz in stock but the distortion i didnt like it it was really weak for my taste so i desided to buy the zakk wylde set and the distortion kicks ass\m/!!!!!!!! and the sound is nice and crisp and it has longer sustain that the hz's

Old 2004-09-16, 12:45
Rick Metal
Senior Metalhead

I got my 7-string loaded with emgs 81-7 this week and I couldn't be happier with the results. Thanks to everyone who recommended them.

Old 2004-09-21, 22:42
westsiderrider
New Blood

Red face A Question

Ok i may be a complete dumbass but, what exactly does the pull out/ push in switch on EMGs do. i have passive pickups on my bass just now and was going to see if i could put an EMG-40J on my bridge and use the switch as a active/passive switch. does antone know if thats possible?

Old 2004-09-27, 21:39
cearny
New Blood

Question

I'm gonna get an ESP LTD EC-1000 with two 81's in it. Now, my current and future backup guitar is an ESP LTD V-350 with an agathis or basswood body (not sure) and Seymour Duncan Custom Custom & '59 in it (fitted by me). I'm thinking about swapping the pickups in these two guitars - do you think this is a good idea? I mean, is EC-1000 a guitar 'worthy' of Seymour Duncans?

Old 2004-09-27, 21:54
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cearny
I'm gonna get an ESP LTD EC-1000 with two 81's in it. Now, my current and future backup guitar is an ESP LTD V-350 with an agathis or basswood body (not sure) and Seymour Duncan Custom Custom & '59 in it (fitted by me). I'm thinking about swapping the pickups in these two guitars - do you think this is a good idea? I mean, is EC-1000 a guitar 'worthy' of Seymour Duncans?

i would reccomend it... the ec-1000 probably sound better than the v-350 either way... but i think the emg's in the v-350 would be better with the emg's than the passive duncans...

just my thoughts. if it turns out you like em' the other way around you can always switch em' back.

Old 2004-09-27, 22:15
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

I played and EC-1000 With the JB/Jazz combo and it sounded awesome.

The Mahogany givesit a nice warm tone.

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2004-09-28, 05:18
cearny
New Blood

Talking

Thanks for the replies - I'll switch'em as soon as the EC gets here. I was going to do this at some point in the future anyway, but I'm such a lazy man-whore

Edit: Oh yea, I'm a total sucker for warm, extra-fat tones. That's why I'm getting that LP-like EC in the first place

Last edited by cearny : 2004-09-28 at 05:23.

Old 2004-09-28, 19:02
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cearny
Edit: Oh yea, I'm a total sucker for warm, extra-fat tones. That's why I'm getting that LP-like EC in the first place

though it may look and feel similar to the lp, it wont sound as thick or dense as a real les paul... personally my favorite lp style guitars are the ibanez lawsuits and certain guild models.

Old 2004-10-07, 22:44
powersofterror
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader

I just read through this whole thread and I don't think this question could be answered with what's here so......

I have a Jackson concept guitar with I guess you call it passive pickups. If I wanted EMGs active pickups could I put the battery in the back where the tremolo springs are? Or would someone be drilling a new hole?
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx

Old 2004-10-07, 22:49
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

The battery will fit behind your knobs in the electronics cavity with no problem. Just use some foam wraping to insulate the battery electricaly and prevent it from clanging around in side there.

Old 2004-10-07, 22:54
powersofterror
Forum Leader

I just heard that some batteries have to be "clicked on?" Would that still be possible? Are you saying right under the knobs because there's no cavity there. I only have 1 cavity in the back and the only thing there are the tremolo springs....uhhhh, so then where would the electronics be?

Oh Christ, how embarrassing...never mind about all that. I must be blind...
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page

Last edited by powersofterror : 2004-10-07 at 23:00.

Old 2004-10-07, 23:11
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Or under the pick gaurd, but it will fit. I'm guessing that it has a pick gaurd if there is only the trem spring cavity in the back. Under the pick gaurd is where your electronics cavity will be. The battery clicks on to a standard 9V reciever but that is attached to flexable wires so you should have no problem finding a place for it. Some guitars have a battery cavity that you can click the battery into and it secures it in place and I think that is what you are talking about. As long as you use foam in the electronics cavity with the battery then you don't need a battery cavity.

EDIT: I just read your edit. Also the battery is turned on when you plug the guitar cord in. There is no switch to "click it on", unless you put one in line with the battery. Maybe that was what you were talking about.

Last edited by Soulinsane : 2004-10-07 at 23:16.

Old 2004-10-07, 23:18
powersofterror
Forum Leader

alright, cool. I was talking about the way you plug in your guitar and just start playing because everything's now on, what if you had to turn on you battery before you could have sound? So you got it thakns.

This is my band's page

Old 2004-10-07, 23:24
cearny
New Blood

Well you will have to change your jack from mono to stereo when adding an active pickup. Then when you insert the cable in the guitar, the cirtuit is closed and the pickups start getting juice from the battery.

So no on/off switches Just don't forget to take the cable out of the guitar's jack.

Old 2004-10-07, 23:50
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Or the battery will die after a few days. You only have to replace the battery every 6-12 months anyway so it's good to do it when you maintanace your guitar.

Old 2004-10-21, 12:13
bfg10k
New Blood

How good does...

How good does a guitar with passive pickups have to be to sound better than a more shitty one with active emgs??? What price range are we talking about?

Old 2004-10-21, 20:29
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfg10k
How good does a guitar with passive pickups have to be to sound better than a more shitty one with active emgs??? What price range are we talking about?

it's not really a thing you can make a science of... some guitars will just sound better to some people with different pickups.

Old 2004-11-10, 16:59
obrien20
Post-whore

GOT MY EMG-81!

soon, i'll be posting some pictures of my Kramer!

SEE YOU!

Old 2004-11-14, 02:18
societys finest
Supreme Metalhead

ok i have a schecter omen 6 and ive been thinking about putting new pickups in and i was at guitar center the other day and i played the jackson slsmg and i loved the sound and i saw that it had two emg-hz in there so i was thinking about putting those in my schecter,would that be a good idea?im pretty confused about alot of stuff that yall are talking about here soo could someone help me out please? im looking for a norma jean/as i lay dying/between the buried and me sound.

Last edited by societys finest : 2004-11-14 at 02:22.

Old 2004-11-14, 04:23
Rapture
The Stings of Conscience

emg-hz's arent very good. "terrible" is actaully a word that comes to mind. how much u wanna spend? if you can, get a Seymour Duncan JB / Jazz setup, they're about $160 together.

Old 2004-11-14, 04:59
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

$160

where the fuck are you buying from!?!?!

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2004-11-14, 05:07
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title

Well, if you bought them at guitar center then you could pay about $75 each + tax (I think, I cant remember how much they are selling them for). But who would by pickups there? Go to www.ebay.com
EBAY!

Old 2004-11-14, 05:09
societys finest
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew1331
emg-hz's arent very good. "terrible" is actaully a word that comes to mind. how much u wanna spend? if you can, get a Seymour Duncan JB / Jazz setup, they're about $160 together.

well im willing to spend up to 200 bucks.would the Seymour Duncan JB / Jazz setup give me a heavy sound,as in a hardcore/metalcore sound?

Old 2004-11-14, 05:14
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title

Yes it will. Easily.

Old 2004-11-14, 09:03
cearny
New Blood

Get an EMG 81/85 (Zakk Wylde) set and you won't need shit after that.

And, btw, the HZ's are pretty decent passive pickups, esp. the H3 and H4 models.

Old 2004-11-16, 18:54
guitardid
New Blood

i payed almost 200 can,with installation fees/EMG 8100 bridge position

Old 2004-12-01, 06:23
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

I have a Jackson XT Warrior and I was wondering if it is possible, not to mention even worth putting like EMG 85/81's in them.

Old 2004-12-01, 09:41
cearny
New Blood

It is. And after all, you can always take them out if and when you sell it.

Old 2004-12-01, 19:44
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardid
i payed almost 200 can,with installation fees/EMG 8100 bridge position

EMG 8100 Holy shit!

Old 2004-12-01, 19:59
Slabbefusk
FUCKING HOFF-STYLE!!!!!!!

Yeah that has got to be the shit! Its gotta sound lika a sonic flamethrower the 00's add so much power dewd!

Old 2004-12-01, 20:01
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

I bet the thing glows in the dark it's so hot!

Old 2004-12-02, 04:12
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally posted by Soulinsane The battery will fit behind your knobs in the electronics cavity with no problem. Just use some foam wraping to insulate the battery electricaly and prevent it from clanging around in side there.[/QUOTE

On my Warrior XT, the electronics cavity is just a mess of wires and crap. If I was to put active EMG's in it, would I have to make a new cavity or..?

Last edited by Silent Night 6 6 : 2004-12-02 at 04:50.

Old 2004-12-02, 06:51
cearny
New Blood

Do like I did with my Warrior XT - rewire the crap out of it I also used some 'wire collars' to tie the wires properly and make more room.

Old 2004-12-02, 13:32
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Night 6 6
On my Warrior XT, the electronics cavity is just a mess of wires and crap. If I was to put active EMG's in it, would I have to make a new cavity or..?

The battery should fit just fine in there with a little foam. Mashing the wires down will not hurt anything. The important thing is to make sure nothing shorts out or comes lose while pushing the wires down. There should never be a need for a battery cavity on a guitar other then for convenience of getting to the battery faster.

Old 2004-12-11, 03:15
jephome
New Blood

i've gone thru this thread and some others
tried to look for a wiring diagram for 1 vol and 2 tones with a 3 ways switch. but i cant find anything at all. tried the EMG website. i've emailed a few sites including EMG's but they're no effing help.
the pots themselves are basically picture perfect with the diagram but its the part where u connect everythign to th switch that's stumping me.

Old 2004-12-13, 04:06
jephome
New Blood

finally got my EMg's to work
theyre soo Fuckin SWEET.

note:
if u've double and triple checked ure connectins.. and they're all picture perfect but it still doesnt work... its probably cause ure quick connectors are on backwards.. LOL as i have experienecd... feel liek such a fuckin moron.

even tho something's idiot proof, they'll always seem to come up with a better idiot. lol
and i'm it

Last edited by jephome : 2004-12-13 at 04:19.

Old 2004-12-14, 04:32
Azargoth
Metalhead

Hi, im getting some new pickups, i want some EMG's for my 7 string Ibanez RG1527, i have a jackson with the 81/85 setup and it just kills. But i dont know what to put in my 7 string Ibanez.

I know there is the EMG 707 and the EMG 81/7, what should i put in my guitar, wich one in the bridge. Which one of those two sounds better.

Thanks

Old 2004-12-18, 17:46
robin stephens
New Blood

Flying V with EMG

I have a black Gibson flying V formerly owned by Mike Gilbert of Flotsam & Jetsam - it has a Kahler style bridge/tremelo made by Gibson (rare) and
awesome EMG pickups installed by Gibson authourized technition - this
guitar few dings, but its sound and solid -
the flight case shows some wear -
a real sweet mean machine
i've had it professionally set up, and its the easist to play, best sounding guitar i've ever
played - and i've played a lot of guitars - from BC Rich, Jackson, Gibson, Fender, Heritage, etc
I called the Gibson factory in Nashville, gave them the serial number - its got a factory Gibson
Kahler style bridge/tremelo (very rare) after
market EMG pickups installed by Gilberts luthier,
(Gibson authorized technition) comes with a
genuine heavy-duty flight case. This guitar went on tour, was used on stage, and is a real player.
If anyone has an interest, you can e-mail me at
ohrob@techemail.com -

Old 2004-12-18, 18:30
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

dont be a dick robin...

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2004-12-18, 18:32
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title

....SPAMMER

But, do you accept bits of strings?

Old 2004-12-23, 18:48
rapeandruin
Post-whore

What are some good seymour duncan combinations for humbucker pickups?

Old 2004-12-23, 18:53
Rapture
The Stings of Conscience

not sure why you posted this here, but whatever

Bridge: JB, Invader
Neck: 59, Jazz.

mix and match nigger, those are my favorites

Old 2004-12-25, 04:53
xDeadHandsRisingx
Senior Metalhead

ok i just bought EMG'S and everone says there easy to install this and that, well im a electronic noob and dont know where to begin. the instructions have all this electronic slang that i dont know wtf im doing. when i look at the diagram feels like im lost in space, SHIT THIS SUCKS!!!!!!!!

Old 2004-12-25, 04:59
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Take it to a pro, contact EMG.. or use search http://metaltabs.com/forum/search.php?

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2004-12-25, 16:00
Rapture
The Stings of Conscience

at least he posted in the EMG thread, instead of making a new one. good job newb

Old 2004-12-25, 17:50
xDeadHandsRisingx
Senior Metalhead

i think i have to take it to a guitar shop. i called guitar center and they dont do installs on pickups. does anyone know how much it cost per humbucker.
i dont think i want to risk messing up my guitar and install them my self.
i feel like such a idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 2004-12-25, 18:06
Rapture
The Stings of Conscience

you SOUND like a little bitch

Old 2004-12-25, 18:11
philkilla
Crusher of Skulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDeadHandsRisingx
i feel like such a idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAAA HAAAA

My Trust is in WHISKEY and WEEDand SLAYER
Long live DIMEBAG
ROGspace Cunts. Book us

Quote:
Originally Posted by far_beyond_sane
You thought of mixing wheat flour with saturated fat, and putting it the resultant shit in a styrofoam cup. Shine on, you crazy dead yellow diamond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
May the best cunt win.

Old 2004-12-25, 18:49
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Well you did buy EMG's...

so yes, you are an idiot.

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2004-12-25, 20:28
xDeadHandsRisingx
Senior Metalhead

did you guys wake up on the wrong side of the bed today.
so much anger

Old 2004-12-30, 05:09
Rapture
The Stings of Conscience

shut up faggot

Old 2004-12-30, 18:33
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

ouch, this is brutal, did i miss something? why are you guys picking on him? he's admitting he doesnt know jack shit and he's asking for advice politly and not loosing his cool when badmouthed...

Old 2005-01-01, 08:21
Azargoth
Metalhead

Hi, i was looking for some 7 string pickups, and the two i will like to buy is the EMG 81/7 or a Dimarzio Evolution, which one of these pickups is better, i want to play metal. Which one should i get?

Old 2005-01-01, 10:51
Rapture
The Stings of Conscience

both will sound nice. its a matter of preference.

Old 2005-01-01, 22:21
Azargoth
Metalhead

Wich is better, the Dimarzio Evolution or the Dimarzio Tone Zone, for playing death metal. Also i know that when you change a stock pickup for a EMG, the difference is obvious, but will it be a more good sound if a change my V7 stock pickups from my ibanez, to a Dimarzio Tone Zone or Eolution?????

Old 2005-01-02, 01:03
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

i think the emg would be much hotter(higher output) and "tight" which would make it good for death metal imo.. but the dimarzio is imo a more "tone based" pickup, more versitile and a warmer sound... but fuck, in the death metal world not many guitarists are looking for a "tonefull", "versitile", and "warm" sound out of their guitars.

Old 2005-01-20, 20:26
hiimjosh
New Blood

I've had a 81/stock set up for a while in my js100 until a few joints broke and I got lost because of me stupid coil splitter pot. I figured I'd just get an 85 to replace my stock and replace the stock pots with EMG pots. My question is: I don't think I NEED two 9 volts hooked up, but, whether I do or don't, is there a best way to wire it up? I was thinking wiring both the red wires from the pickups together to hit the battery then to my input. If I did two 9 volts, I don't know if it would be smarter to do them in series (red wires connect to battery one, then battery two, then input) or not (red wire one, to battery one, to input; red wire two, to battery two, to input).

Old 2005-01-20, 21:41
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azargoth
Hi, i was looking for some 7 string pickups, and the two i will like to buy is the EMG 81/7 or a Dimarzio Evolution, which one of these pickups is better, i want to play metal. Which one should i get?

I Have a 707 in one of my RG7620's and a EVO in the other...

The EVO blows it away, no comparison. The EVO is an AWESOME pickup, not muddy at all, very clear and articulate.

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2005-01-23, 14:01
DEVASTATOR23
New Blood

What pickup to by for neck position - EMG-60 or EMG-89.I'm playing guitar in death-tresh-core bend, and i have Jackson DXMG with EMG-81 already instaled in bridge position. Give me your opinion about these two(60,89) or recommend another pickup.(EMG)

Old 2005-01-25, 19:08
DEVASTATOR23
New Blood

Someone!?

Old 2005-01-25, 22:20
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVASTATOR23
What pickup to by for neck position - EMG-60 or EMG-89.I'm playing guitar in death-tresh-core bend, and i have Jackson DXMG with EMG-81 already instaled in bridge position. Give me your opinion about these two(60,89) or recommend another pickup.(EMG)

Seymour Duncan JB

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2005-02-02, 01:31
DRI
Metalhead

I keep hearing about EMG 81's 85's 60's etc. How are those ones they use for stock pickups alot. I think they're called HZ. I guess they're passive. Also, how do pickups with pole peices differ from bar magnets? I've never figured that out.

Old 2005-02-02, 01:34
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title

HZs suck.

Old 2005-02-02, 05:05
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNIBALCORPSE
HZs suck.

the h4's arent bad though.

Old 2005-02-03, 02:04
Stueben49
New Blood

Hey sorry i was just wondering i went to my local music store today and i saw the EMG HZ's i really didnt think that they were anything special but my friend kept telling me that they were the best things ever....what im really trying to say is since the HZ's are passive they are basically just another humbucking....but has a great pick-up name to go with it

My question
What would be the ideal guitar to throw EMG 25's in they are the custom kind and sound amazing....i know they are mostly for fender guitars....but i really dont like them too much im more of a gibson ibanez jackson person....when it comes to acoustics i have a martin 00018 from 1950
i really just want to throw emg 25's into a ibanez or jackson....is it possible or not....and are there better pick-ups in other people opinion than the 25's

thanks for letting me ramble

S.

Old 2005-02-10, 11:15
warlock_freak
Senior Metalhead
Banned

newb to pickups.
what should i get for bronze warlock.
active = yes.
what model though.
sorry for point form.

Old 2005-02-10, 13:18
Slabbefusk

A better guitar first .

Old 2005-02-13, 14:58
John Holland
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Banned

The EMG 81 bridge pickup is known for its tight bottom end and hot harmonics ... this is basically what I'm looking for in a pickup, but just because it has a battery, and is active, does not make it the best choice.

Basically, my question about EMG's, is what other pickups are hotter, tighter, more suited for metal than the 81? With all this saturation marketing for the EMG's I've been brainwashed into thinking they're a be-all end all.

I'm sitting on the verge of trading this guy my JB for an 81 ( because the JB just is'nt cutting it for me ), for my Schecter C-1 Classic. I'm thinking about an X2N since I could sell the JB on E-bay and easily have the cash for one. What do you guys think?

Old 2005-02-13, 15:57
Slabbefusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiimjosh
I've had a 81/stock set up for a while in my js100 until a few joints broke and I got lost because of me stupid coil splitter pot. I figured I'd just get an 85 to replace my stock and replace the stock pots with EMG pots. My question is: I don't think I NEED two 9 volts hooked up, but, whether I do or don't, is there a best way to wire it up? I was thinking wiring both the red wires from the pickups together to hit the battery then to my input. If I did two 9 volts, I don't know if it would be smarter to do them in series (red wires connect to battery one, then battery two, then input) or not (red wire one, to battery one, to input; red wire two, to battery two, to input).

You dont need two 9 volt batteries for two pickups, although if you use two batteries the headroom will increase thus making it more clean than it is.

Old 2005-02-25, 23:55
HelpMeHelpYou
Supreme Metalhead

Hey guys,
I've got a Washburn WR150 here and I was gonna get an EMG-81 put in the bridge how much of a difference would there be to the tone. Oh ya and by the way im running it through a Randall RG50TC.

Thanks.

Old 2005-02-26, 19:40
HelpMeHelpYou
Supreme Metalhead

please respond

Old 2005-02-26, 20:44
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title

If you have the stock pickups in there now, then there would be a HUGE difference. For the better, of course.

Old 2005-02-27, 00:11
HelpMeHelpYou
Supreme Metalhead

thanks

Old 2005-02-27, 01:44
Kylito
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holland
Basically, my question about EMG's, is what other pickups are hotter, tighter, more suited for metal than the 81? With all this saturation marketing for the EMG's I've been brainwashed into thinking they're a be-all end all.

This is a good friggin' question. EMG 81's were all the rage in the late '80s and heavily endorsed by Obituary, etc... Hasn't anyone come up with something as good or better in the last 15+ years? What a bunch of lazy fuckin' engineers at these pickup companies. I imagine someday I will get around to replacing my stock Seymour Duncans, but I don't wan't to deal with 9V batteries either...

Old 2005-02-27, 01:54
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Thier's plenty of pickups that are just as good or better than EMG's...

Its all personal taste, but dont think that EMG's are the best pickup simply because their active.

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2005-02-27, 02:11
Kylito
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS
Thier's plenty of pickups that are just as good or better than EMG's...

Its all personal taste, but dont think that EMG's are the best pickup simply because their active.

BLS, what's your favorite passive pickup?

Old 2005-02-27, 02:27
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Depends, I like the SD JB and Dimarzio Tone Zone when using a high gain amp, the pickups are very clear, and I depend on the amp for the gain.

Im really liking my Dimarzio Evolution in my 7 string, its tight and the B string dosent muddy up at all.

In a comparison with two of the same exact 7 strings the Dimarzio EVO is far supurrior to the EMG 707.. I have NO idea why EMG decided to model their only 7 string pickup (They no longer seem to make the 81-7) after the 85.. which is a pretty muddy pickup.

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2005-02-27, 03:19
Kylito
Supreme Metalhead

Thanks man. Knowing me, I would probably go with the Tone Zone because it's fun to say...

Old 2005-02-27, 03:21
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

lol... Humbucker From Hell is also fun to say

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2005-02-28, 13:16
fatdanny
Post-whore

I was looking at emgs on guitarbargains, and I saw some of them say "suitable for floyd rose", and something about spacing. I was under the impression that a floyd rose bridge wouldn't affect things. Am I being a retard?

Old 2005-02-28, 15:59
obrien20
Post-whore

I'm Afraid so.

Old 2005-03-01, 00:00
fatdanny
Post-whore

...care to elaborate...

Old 2005-03-01, 02:30
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

EMG's will work with any type of bridge, with passives you need to get an f-spaced (dimarzio) or trembucker (seymour duncan) if your playing a guitar with a tremolo bridge such as a floyd.

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2005-03-01, 11:03
fatdanny
Post-whore

Cheers

Old 2005-03-02, 02:43
HelpMeHelpYou
Supreme Metalhead

Hey guys im back. I got the 81 but it'll require me to take out the tone pot and put in 2 seperate volume pots (one active one passive). Anyway, my question is what kind of sound will not having a tone pot give me?

Old 2005-03-02, 03:04
Kylito
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpYou
Hey guys im back. I got the 81 but it'll require me to take out the tone pot and put in 2 seperate volume pots (one active one passive). Anyway, my question is what kind of sound will not having a tone pot give me?

Perfect tone. The standard tone pot is tied to a capacitor in parallel with ground. Basically, it cuts out the highs when you turn it down.

Old 2005-03-02, 03:08
HelpMeHelpYou
Supreme Metalhead

So, correct me if I,m wrong but not having a tone pot will be like having the tone all the way up at 10 all the time?

Old 2005-03-02, 03:17
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Tone pots sucks... IMO of course.

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2005-03-02, 03:19
HelpMeHelpYou
Supreme Metalhead

Awesome tomorrow I shall install it then.

Old 2005-03-02, 04:08
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Ok, tone pots don't suck but but some people just have no use for them cause they are solid Plutonium balls to the walls, amp cranked to 11, tubes glowing at near the temp of the sun from the time they pick up the guitar to play until they stop. Tone pots can give you a fast why to control... well, tone by rolling some of the high end freq off the signal so it does sould like glass breaking.

Old 2005-03-02, 04:14
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

I always have the tone control all the way up anyways.. so I figure why not just cut the tone control out..

In reality the "Tone" control just cuts more of the pickups actual tone. Pickups just sound dead to me with the tone down.

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2005-03-02, 04:41
Kylito
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpYou
So, correct me if I,m wrong but not having a tone pot will be like having the tone all the way up at 10 all the time?

Exactly. I yanked both the tone and volume off one of my guitars because the knobs were in a spot where I kept hitting them and changing the settings while picking wildly. Fuck all that shit, just more crap to break on the guitar. Volume pedals rule...

Old 2005-03-03, 04:59
Tobbler
New Blood

What kind of EMGs would work in an rr-3?

Old 2005-03-06, 10:13
Metalwes
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS
Passive EMG's are just pure shit, nuff said.

Active EMG's such as the 81, 60, 85 run off a 9v battery. This battery powers an eternal preamp, which gives an EMG its tone. Instead of relying on tonewoods and such for a good tone. EMG's have very little feedback, and help tighten up the low end, this is why their the prime choice of many metal acts. EMG's are a good choice if you wish to upgrade a crappy guitar because it will make a HUGE difference, but putting an EMG in a high quality instrument built of the finest woods is just stupid, and that high quality instrument with EMG's will sound very similar so the shit guitar with EMG's.

Meh, thats the best description i can give, long story short... a good Passive Pickup in a good guitar will kick and EMG's ass anyday.

I know this was about a month ago, tho i feel i need to ask this:
- You say putting EMG's in a guitar with fine wood ( i take it you mean real gibsons ect) is stupid, but what would be a good choice to put in? ( im not too familiar wit this )
- Would putting a set of EMG's in a Gibson supreme be stupid?

thnx in advance

//Wes

Old 2005-03-06, 17:23
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

EMG's will pretty much ignore and tonal qualities of wood.. So you'll always have that EMG tone, and if thats what your looking for then put EMG's in any guitar you want.

Passives rely on the tonal qualities of the wood to help shape their tone. I just find it stupid that people with buy a guitar with quality tone woods and then slap some EMG's in their..

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2005-03-07, 05:20
Metalwes
New Blood

But i mean if you would buy a very good guitar, and want to upgrade the pickups, what COULD you put in?

//Wes