MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Bass Zone

Old 2004-03-12, 19:42
red_dog104
New Blood

Hi

New to this forum and to bass. Had 6 half hour lessons and practicing like fuck but not really seeing any results. Just wondering the avarage amount of time it takes for someone to get their fingers moving and make a decent sound!

At the minute i'm painfully slow and it's really frustrating!!! I'm not expecting immediate results but just to know that there is an end in sight will give me more motivation!!

Cheers

Lisa

Last edited by red_dog104 : 2004-03-12 at 19:54. Reason: Just because

Old 2004-03-12, 20:18
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

play your ass off. don't expect wonders in the coming days, play a lot, get your fingers used to the strings, don't force blisters and play scales all day long untill you get a headache. faster and faster and faaaaaaaaaaaaaster

Old 2004-03-12, 20:27
DEAD
Post-whore

Scales are boring. Find a decent mid paced song (Six Feet Under's Revenge of the Zombie worked for me when I first started) and practice that, atleast it wont be boring after 2 mins and you will feel you accomplished something after you get it down good.
Comforting silence

Old 2004-03-12, 20:29
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

sure scales are boring, but most people can't play tabs right away I teach my students scales too, they're a good resource for creating riffs later on....

anyways, once you got the finger motion down, you can try some of your favorite songs, though its important to build up finger strenght, when it comes to bass, you gotta let your hands adjust for a while, especially if you play intensively

Old 2004-03-12, 21:49
red_dog104
New Blood

Thanks guys! Been doing the basics and walking bass line (which is really easy) and been trying Ozzy "No More Tears" but it's so hard to try and keep up! I'll try your suggestons and just keep on practicing

Old 2004-03-13, 07:46
MorbidGuitar
Post-whore

Once your fingers get a lot stronger it'll be much easier too.

Old 2004-03-16, 17:36
Rattlehead
Senior Metalhead

I think scales are a great thing, but it's just not something you should learn as soon as you pick up the instrument. When I first started all I learned about scales was the major and minor standard ones. Now I'm actually learning scales and chord construction two years later. It's actually quite interesting to be able to play a song and understand what they're doing, and why they pick certain notes to harmonize over others etc.
Tabs are a great thing to start on, internet access really helps to learn an instrument. Welcome. I must warn you though, once you get addicted to bass, you can't stop thinking about it, especially for me when I'm at school, I just can't wait to get home to play bass.
I say do away with it. You can always stand in its former location if you need to make use of the perspective it gave you, but will benefit from the ability to situate yourself in different loci with ease.
Destroy the box.

Old 2004-03-16, 19:48
Sodomaniac
Supreme Metalhead

I have started with very easy songs (AC/DC -TNT ...) !! You can play the completed song on your bass ! Makes fun and you are not so frustated !! And you learn to play better and better !!

Old 2004-03-19, 22:58
Metaldave
Senior Metalhead

When ya learn scales you learn the notes too, so when you go to work out tunes its easier and you have an idea of what can/may come next!