Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > MetalTabs.com > News
User Name
Password

Old 2005-03-28, 15:25
Post-whore

Send a message via MSN to k13m
if i submitted a new tab i rate it a number that i think it deserves
also so others will look at my tab instead of older tabs that were done with lost of mistakes etc

awell

< no wonder hes mad!!
Old 2005-03-28, 22:09
C-Un(i)t
Forum Leader

Send a message via AIM to Cloaca Send a message via MSN to Cloaca Send a message via Yahoo to Cloaca
Well, of course you'll think it deserves a 5, won't you?
Old 2005-03-29, 02:59
Post-whore
Banned

i very rarely rate my own tab. if somebody gives one of my tabs a 1 just to be a cunt, i will give it a 5 so it becomes a neutral score (although it hasn't come in to effect by now). but, i rated my own "fraction off death" tab as 4/5.
Old 2005-03-30, 18:13
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaca
Well, of course you'll think it deserves a 5, won't you?
no.. if i did a tab and im missing some part on a solo i rate it a 4, 5 is for a tab that is 100% correct, and none of my tabs are, they are all like 95% to 99% complete but i dont think they deserve a 5

btw.. insight and the catharsis tab by dimmu borgir, tabbed by astenu the
(old) dimmu guitarist, the solos arent even right and he tabbed it himself and probaly wrote it himself 2, doesnt make sence to me

anyway im working to fix those solos (1 done already) and then ill rate my first 5

< no wonder hes mad!!
Old 2005-05-30, 01:19
New Blood

Here's how I feel about the "rating songs with complexity figured in" thing.

I don't think it matters how complex a song is when you're rating a tab or transcriber. Think of it like this:

One guy tabs 10 songs that are very very simple, but they're 100% correct. Another guy tabs 5 songs that are very complex and they're 100% correct too. Who's to say the guy doing the easier songs isn't as good? Just because he opts to do easy songs doesn't make him less of a transcriber. If he DOES ever attempt a hard song, then you would still rate it based on how close it is to the song, not on his past performace rating or something. So if the easy-song-guy attempts a Dream Theater and people rate is 2-3, then you see in his profile "Ok I guess he's good at easy stuff but that may be it".

I don't know if that made sense or not, but I think a tab is a tab. You rate a tab based on the accuracy regardless of how hard it may be. When you look through a person's list of tabs, THEN you can see all the songs, judge for yourself if they're complex or not, and see the rating people have given.

The rating system will always be a little messed up though. I mean if someone has trouble figuring a song out, chances are they won't be able to tell if the transcriber got everything correct. A lot of times I'll see tabs missing a few open E palm mutes, or maybe they'll have power chords with the octave and it's just the root and fifth, or thirds being played as fifths, yet they get a perfect rating. It's understandable because to a lesser trained ear it does sound a lot like the CD and you can easily play along and get away with it, but it's not 100% accurate. The only way to fix it would be to have a panel of very experienced transcribers who can tab stuff pretty accurately so they can pick out those things. But because that would take an enormous amount of time, I think the system of letting anyone vote is good enough because chances are it all evens out. You should be able to list comments with ratings though, as it only helps the transcriber find mistakes or maybe explain why the tab IS correct and the rater is wrong.
http://abysslord.com/anthraxtabs
Old 2005-07-07, 18:12
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via MSN to thedarkdream Send a message via Yahoo to thedarkdream
It wouldn't only take a huge amount of time, but having a limited number of voters would be quite hard because there are so many bands that not many people here listen to (Take within temptation for example: I have several tabs of theirs for months and they haven't ever been rated... and I don't think any of the people who'd be chosen would listen to WT because, well, it's just less metal than we used for them to be... in the previous albums...)

This thing applies to many other bands (gothic is not really one of the top genres on this website), bands like Tristania and Theatre of Tragedy... oh it's an enourmous list.

Otherwise having a limited number of voters seems very advantageous to me... and I agree with tab voting from 1 to 10 (I am used to that from school...) It's sadly true what has been said: We will never get a perfect rating system... but I think the best thing is to see who the voters are for each song. So even if we won't get a selection of voters, I guess it's still good to see who the voters are.

About the hard/easy tabs matter, my opinion is that it's too much of an imprecise factor. My tabs are of quite easy songs (usually... it really depends, I love powertabbing more complicated things...)

I also would consider that a powertab is indeed more valuable than a normal guitar tab so I do not mind if a person has both the PT and ASCII of it - for making one I guess one deserves getting rated twice.
Old 2005-10-06, 19:20
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to obrien20
sorry to disapoint some but, i find this rating system to be really useless.
Old 2005-10-13, 13:24
The Man Who Is, MGI.

Send a message via MSN to Robbie Filth
I agree with you.
Old 2005-10-30, 07:23
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by obrien20
sorry to disapoint some but, i find this rating system to be really useless.
it is useless. also, say i make a bad tab, and it gets rated say a 3, and u make an update months later, wich made the tab 100% correct, the tab will still be rated a 3, where it should get a higher number.

but then again, it is handy in a way.
if there are 10 versions of the same song, then i usualy pick the one with the highest rating first.

BUT some peeps that rate those tabs are complete idiots that cant play guitar (or whatever) and there fore rate a tab good or bad, cuz they simply cant play

so yeah its useless

< no wonder hes mad!!
Old 2005-10-30, 11:41
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to humancorpse Send a message via MSN to humancorpse
I wouldn`t say its totally useless, but maybe the original rating should be removed from a tab when its updated so it can have a fresh start or something
Old 2005-10-30, 11:48
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by humancorpse
I wouldn`t say its totally useless, but maybe the original rating should be removed from a tab when its updated so it can have a fresh start or something

I've often thought of that too. Good idea.
Old 2005-11-30, 12:15
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to obrien20
Anyway, 6 out of 20 are ROG members.

The Crew Owns!
Old 2005-11-30, 12:35
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to humancorpse Send a message via MSN to humancorpse
Deffinitly