MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.67 average.
Old 2006-02-16, 16:29
Supreme Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to ThornsOfHeaven200
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3talhead666
My liscenced floyd rose has a minor problem. Whenever i do many divebombs(until the point the strings are floppy) and i bring back the bridge in the normal position, the tuning is a little flat. then i have to pull up the bridge and release to get it into perfect tuning. whats wrong with it? Is it the springs?

Is the locking nut tightened enough? If it is, maybe your strings are old and need a change. I don't think it could be the springs unless you really stretched the shit out of 'em.
Old 2006-02-18, 02:49
Senior Metalhead

nope, locking nut is fuckin tight. ill try changing strings
thx
Old 2006-02-19, 06:43
Senior Metalhead

Help! i noticed that my fucking pivot screw on my floyd is sliding out. what should i do? super glue it?
Old 2006-02-21, 09:03
Senior Metalhead

Anyone?
Old 2006-02-21, 14:26
Pirate Lawd

Get a Kahler.
Old 2006-02-21, 23:30
Senior Metalhead

Thats not really solving the problem right now
Old 2006-02-21, 23:53
Post-whore

Get new pivot screws. Definately DONT superglue it, how the hell are you going to adjust the action then? The shafts for the pivot screws may also need replacement.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)
Old 2006-02-22, 06:27
Senior Metalhead

I mean shall i superglue the shafts into the guitar body, and leave the screw as it is
Old 2006-02-22, 10:11
Post-whore

Quote:
I mean shall i superglue the shafts into the guitar body, and leave the screw as it is

Probably a bad idea too. Fill the holes with wood filler and redrill them like if they were new.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)
Old 2006-02-23, 00:20
Senior Metalhead

ah ok thx. but the holes are differently drilled. when i look inside i just see straight lines going down the walls. how the hell do you redrill it like that?
Old 2006-02-23, 00:22
Post-whore

Quote:
ah ok thx. but the holes are differently drilled. when i look inside i just see straight lines going down the walls. how the hell do you redrill it like that?

One big-ass drill head.

Old 2006-02-24, 15:04
Pirate Lawd

Oh GOD STOP! Dont' just use wood filler! Not in a spot where there will be stress applied. It will just turn to chips and dust.

Fill the hole with a wooden rod and wood glue. Then redrill it. Make special measurements so you don't drill in the wrong place.
Old 2006-02-24, 16:23
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulinsane
Oh GOD STOP! Dont' just use wood filler! Not in a spot where there will be stress applied. It will just turn to chips and dust.

Fill the hole with a wooden rod and wood glue. Then redrill it. Make special measurements so you don't drill in the wrong place.

Actually yeah, that's a way better idea, I meant to say "fill it with a piece o wood", not that synthetic wood filler crap.

Old 2006-03-16, 08:58
Metalhead

Okay, I'm new here, so I made it a point to read this whole damn thread in as much detail as is possible at this hour of the morning prior to asking this question. I apologize if my question has already been answered elsewhere, but here goes: I have an ESP Eclipse with a non-floating OFR. I've been interested in Kahlers for a while now, and I want to know...

1.)Does the 2300 Flatmount bridge work well with .13-gauge string sets in standard C- to B-tuning? I'm also using all 5 springs on my OFR to keep things nice and tight even if I decide to tune up to standard D, so I'm also wondering if Kahlers are slotted out for that many, or if they use their own spring sets with different tensions.

2.)What would have to be done for me to swap out my ESP's current OFR for a 2300 FM (any sort of luthier work i.e. routing/drilling)? The guitar came from their shop having never been recessed, so it's not like a modded one that had a floating trem to begin with.

3.)Would the nut locks from my OFR be compatible with a 2300 FM, or would I also have to get the one-piece Kahler lock that they usually have?

4.)What is the exact distance of the string spacing on the 2300 FM? I checked Kahler's site and also followed a few Google results, but couldn't find the dimensions anywhere. F-spacing is fine for my purposes (since I'm running EMG-81s), but even a difference of a few millimeters can make things like sweep and trem-pick arpeggiations much smoother.

I know these are more questions than average for a post in this thread, but it's what I need to know to make an informed decision. Kahlers are expensive; and while I've heard nothing but good things about them, every purchase is potentially regrettable.

Last edited by mike j. : 2006-03-16 at 09:07.
Old 2006-03-16, 10:55
Post-whore

2)Probably some routing or drilling, but not much.

3)The OFR lock nuts will work, and in fact they look nicer than Kahler nuts.

But hell, if you have an OFR, why not just have it modded into a floating type? They're so easy to set up and keep in tune IMO. Kahlers are far more complex and will cost you a lot of money. Just my 2c, I would get an OFR, Schaller Floyd, or an OFR Pro.

Old 2006-03-16, 11:31
Metalhead

There's no point in modding it, really. I haven't been playing long enough (7.5 years) nor have I focused enough on leads to be able pull off the sort of flashy shit that requires a floating bridge. I've dive-bombed and dropped a few sliding chords here and there, but it's not something I do often enough to go through the hassle and tonal rearrangement that a new hole in my guitar would require. When it's time for that kind of stuff, I'll probably just get an axe more suited to leads than my Eclipse -- something with a thinner thru-body neck, most likely -- and float the trem on that instead.

It's just that the set-up on a Kahler seems to be better for sustain and string control due to the lower profile and the saddle positionings. And the OFR on my ESP is a stud-mount if I'm not mistaken, so it's probably taller and clunkier on the pick hand than a 2300 FM. Plus, the stainless steel on a 2300 FM won't rust like the moving parts on an OFR will. Also, I think I remembering reading that the fine tuners had a wider range than the ones on the OFR. And if they're more narrowly-spaced than an OFR or OFR Pro, then that's just an added bonus. That's why I'd rather not do a full-on recess job on my only shred-worthy guitar.

As for whatever work would have to be done: what kind of drilling/routing? Would it be the sort of thing that would prevent me from going back to the OFR or an OFR Pro if I didn't like the feel of the Kahler for whatever reason, or would more work have be done in that event as well?
Old 2006-03-18, 14:43
Senior Metalhead

can anyone help me?, second hand there is an 80s bc rich japanese ironbird with a kahler spider trem, does anyone own one of these trems? what are they like?

and also if i wanted to replace the spider trem with an ofr would i be able to?
i thought i would as the spider trem seems to be the same overall shape to the floyd rose so i didnt think any extra routing would be necesarry but i dont know.

please help me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philkilla
Play some Defeated Sanity and brutalize the vagina.

summer is 'ere an' it's fuckin' fuckin' buzzin
Old 2006-03-18, 14:47
Post-whore

Ah, the purple one on ebay? I took a look at that one but I'm not interested cause of the hideous paintjob. Yeah you could replace the trems, but you would definately need extra routing, cause OFRs have a back spring cavity while Kahlers do not, plus the shape is very different.

I hear spider trems are decent. But I'm not interested in Kahlers...

Old 2006-03-18, 18:11
Senior Metalhead

thats rather coincidental, the one im getting isnt on ebay but it is purple and it is in bristol (the uk version of bristol anyway ) but im probably just rambling now.

i went on ebay and saw the one you were talking about, by the looks of it thats not a spider trem it looks like a 2203 or whatever kahler call it, it looks like the one on kerry kings guitar. this is a link to what a spider trem looks like

http://metaltabs.com/forum/attachme...ntid=7695&stc=1

so can i put a floyd in its place? does anyone know? or are kahler spyder trems still good as OFRs?

cheers

Quote:

Old 2006-03-19, 13:48
Senior Metalhead

anyone?

Quote: