MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2004-02-12, 14:51
Sindagon
New Blood

death metal guitars

Hi, I was wondering, what guitars would be ideal for death metal????

Old 2004-02-12, 18:56
MoonRaven
Lo, they do call to me...

its all about personal personal taste in your ideal sound, tell me what sound you are going for, then maybe someone can help, but their is no ideal guitar for any style of music, everyone will say something different

Old 2004-02-12, 20:51
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

just about any decent guitar with emg 81 and/or 85 pickups will sound good for metal. whether it be a strat,tele,warlock,lespaul,soloist, you name it.
so as far as pickups go, the emg 81 is one of my favorites. i also like the dimarzio X2N, it reminds me of a mix between the duncan invader and the duncan dime bucker, but i think it sounds better than both.
so you probably want a high gain pickup in the bridge.
but as far as neck and body, some people like really thin & flatter necks(ibanez,jackson,ect), while other people like the fatter rounder ones(gibson,fender,ect), just like some people like guitars that weigh alot, and others like guitars that way almost nothing, as well guitars that look "extreme", but just because it looks extreme doesnt mean its going to sound extreme, i personally hate the way most bc richs sound, except the old school njs, or unless they've had the pickups replaced.

just find a guitar that you like the feel and look of, then if it doesnt sound mean enough, replace the pickups.

Old 2004-02-12, 21:55
Sindagon
New Blood

I was thinking about ibanez. But which model (6 string) will give the brutallest sound????

Old 2004-02-12, 22:30
MoonRaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindagon
I was thinking about ibanez. But which model (6 string) will give the brutallest sound????

personally id go with the non-trem sz series, my favorite is the sz320, the ic400 is also pretty badass, as well as the axs32, but i am not a big ibanez fan

also if you downtune alot, chck out the mmm1

Old 2004-02-12, 23:28
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

The Ibanez trem is the best part of an ibanez. I like them better than a OFR but thats just my tatse. Search the forum.... I could sell you a custom Death Metal epiphone. I made it death metal myself. Only $600 I swear its a DEATH METAL guitar not a black metal or thrash metal

"Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2004-02-13, 03:23
KB_CANS
Senior Metalhead

i will buy it BLS...

i have been looking for a death metal guitar for years now..

Old 2004-02-13, 04:40
Undying_Hatred
Post-whore

It really depends on the genre. Jackson, Ibanez, Fernendez, Gibson, Hell the guy from nile uses a fender strat

Old 2004-02-13, 09:03
BeastOfCarrion
Pokémon Master

if your playing with a distortion pedal, then that is what will give you most of your "brutality" i had to turn the bass right down to nothing on my amp because it was getting the "bounce" sound on the end of the notes played

in relation to guitars you mainy want something that you can easily play and you think sounds good, go to the guitar store and pick up a couple that catch your eye and give them a go, playing is the key element

last time i was shopping for a guitar i found one that sounded fantastic, the only problem was it was built like a fucking brick (i.e. heavy and big) which doesnt really matter if you are just going to be sitting down with it, but if you want to gig its a bad thing.

I know that doest particuarly help but, it it inportant to try them.
(x.x) (> <)
Somebody has decapitated an innocent rabbit, can Abbath solve this crime before more innocent bunnies are hurt?

Old 2004-02-15, 16:26
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindagon

i have an early 90's rg570 and a 2000ish pgm model, both are very similar, i've done a little custom work, new pickups, disabled trem, ect, great guitars.
rgs are the most "metal" of the ibanezs in my opinion, if you don't like the floyd style trem, you can just do what i did and wedge a jenga block or some screws in the back to disable it so it wont go out of tune when you break a string, you just wont be able to use the whammy, sorry stevie ray, but i had to do it.
the jackson soloists are quite similar to the rgs, but i think most still have floyd style trems.

Old 2005-06-21, 03:53
infoterror
New Blood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonRaven
personally id go with the non-trem sz series, my favorite is the sz320, the ic400 is also pretty badass, as well as the axs32, but i am not a big ibanez fan

Ibanez AXS32

http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/models/AXS32DRF.jpg

I'm quite fond of them. The axs32 seems like a decent solid body guitar with good sound and wonderful fingerfeel. Any comments on the DRF sub-model?

Last edited by infoterror : 2005-06-21 at 04:22.

Old 2005-06-21, 03:57
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Fuckin' idiot..

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2005-06-21, 03:59
younguitarist
Post-whore

dude...

Old 2005-06-21, 04:23
infoterror
New Blood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS
Fuckin' idiot..

Old 2005-06-21, 04:39
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Wow.. the idiot can count!

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2005-06-21, 17:58
CoreyB

yo, i got an ibanez

i've played guitar for about 2 years now and i listen to shit like deeds of flesh, cryptopsy, necrophagist, etc...

i play a 2003 Ibanez Rg1570 (cost me 599$, retails about 999$).
Its super light, but still the slightest amount of weight, its very comfortable
its got a prestige wizard neck, thinner than wizard 2, and the prestige is the thinest in the world
has ultra-action like i've never seen, all my friends with their fender strats / esp / you name it, freak out
i currently have a Dimarzio x2n in the bridge with stock neck pickup and single coil, and it sounds TREMENDOUS, i play in drop C and i get a downtuned sound that would make a mother miscarriage if she came within 20 yards of me

the ibanez guitars are fuckin evil, i researched EVERY guitar in the world about 3-4 months before i bought this 2 years ago, and let me tell you, i've never regretted one thing

its fucking metal

So check out the Ibanez rg1570, its their Highest quality guitar line, but their most affordable features, (incredible stock dimarzio pickups, thinnest neck they make, 24 frets jumbo, basswood body thats light, and KILLER LOOKS!)

fuck the bc rich, gibson, fender, esp, jackson especially, everything, it all sucks

there is also a reason why guitarists like joe satriani play it, but than you see underground bands that are brutal as fuck I.E. Spawn of possession shredding with an RG Series guitar.

Last edited by CoreyB : 2005-06-21 at 18:00.

Old 2005-06-21, 19:06
Wicked
Metalhead

the 1570 doesn't have dimarzios, the 2570(which i bought) does, and its more expensive

Old 2005-06-21, 19:25
h4x5k8
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS
Fuckin' idiot..

Old 2005-06-21, 19:36
MoonRaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS
Fuckin' idiot..

yeah

I WAS QUOTED, that makes me laugh, i have never been quoted by someone reviving a dead thread

Old 2005-06-21, 19:48
CoreyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked
the 1570 doesn't have dimarzios, the 2570(which i bought) does, and its more expensive

the rg1570 i have, they were made by dimarzio for ibanez and logo'd by ibanez, on the IBZ series that is, hence why they're called

"DiMarzio IBZ Pickups"

Old 2005-06-23, 19:57
infoterror
New Blood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS
Wow.. the idiot can count!

More accurately: the monkey can post, and you've done it 9,000 times while not developing any more advanced taste than liking Pantera. To cover up your inadequacies, you try to fuck with other people, even though it's a juvenile ploy and no one is really fooled. In short, you're living in a dream, you've failed to achieve anything meaningful, and you're a loser worthy of mockery.

Any questions? Good. Back to your hole.

Old 2005-06-23, 20:13
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by infoterror
More accurately: the monkey can post, and you've done it 9,000 times while not developing any more advanced taste than liking Pantera. To cover up your inadequacies, you try to fuck with other people, even though it's a juvenile ploy and no one is really fooled. In short, you're living in a dream, you've failed to achieve anything meaningful, and you're a loser worthy of mockery.

shut up... you bring up an ancient thread, and then try to talk shit to someone you don't know.
nobody agrees with you. i've been here a long ass time and bls has provided alot of information and meaningful conversations. you? you have 4 posts and you're already being a little brat.

you're being a fucking retard and if you keep it up, you'll probably end up getting banned for being such an asshat...

Old 2005-06-23, 20:57
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Quote:

Thanks!

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2005-06-23, 21:07
Bia
Muffin Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS
The Ibanez trem is the best part of an ibanez. I like them better than a OFR but thats just my tatse. Search the forum.... I could sell you a custom Death Metal epiphone. I made it death metal myself. Only $600 I swear its a DEATH METAL guitar not a black metal or thrash metal

You sir....well, let me just say....

heh eh heh

Old 2005-06-23, 21:58
Six_Feet_Under_420
Post-whore

first of all you can only buy a death metal guitar at a death metal guitar shop. Were you already bought your death metal amplifier (duh) and a death metal cabinet. hook it up with a death metal pedal to get the ultimate death metal sound. Buy some death metal strings and install death metal pickups and a death metal bridge.

That's about right.
+-+ .....::::: Alive to Live, Not to Believe....In a God that I cannot see :::::..... +-+

Old 2005-06-26, 07:39
AR15
Metalhead

Quote:

This is total ownage, friends.

I am not going to point fingers, but this board is fucking loaded with sarcasm and all around bullshit posts, and it is a shame because I am not aware of any other forums dedicated strictly to "extreme" metal. All of the negativity just brings the place down.

In closing, post something constructive or STFU.

Old 2005-06-26, 08:05
Rapture
The Stings of Conscience

Quote:

That was like a third grade paragraph. You even had the conclusion sentence! Good job, now heres a caramel square!

Old 2005-06-26, 19:01
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR15
This is total ownage, friends.

I am not going to point fingers, but this board is fucking loaded with sarcasm and all around bullshit posts, and it is a shame because I am not aware of any other forums dedicated strictly to "extreme" metal. All of the negativity just brings the place down.

In closing, post something constructive or STFU.

Dont worry, I've posted way more constructive things than you ever will..

hows that sngl going?

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2005-06-26, 21:14
AR15
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS

hows that sngl going?

What are you talking about?

Old 2005-06-26, 22:50
Six_Feet_Under_420
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS
Dont worry, I've posted way more constructive things than you ever will..

hows that sngl going?

It was k13m who started that thread.
+-+ .....::::: Alive to Live, Not to Believe....In a God that I cannot see :::::..... +-+

Old 2005-06-27, 00:04
Overmind
Senior Metalhead

pretty weak trolling, I must admit. I expected more from an Anus lacky.

Old 2005-06-27, 06:51
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR15
What are you talking about?

You know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six_Feet_Under_420
It was k13m who started that thread.

This thread was fun.. but I must resist!

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2005-06-27, 15:13
AR15
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS
You know...

I think you have me confused with someone else.

Old 2005-06-27, 16:37
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Nah, I dont think so..

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2005-06-27, 17:11
obrien20
Post-whore

Probably Jackson RR, anything custom like Ran, B.C Rich. Must be Flyin V though.

Old 2005-06-29, 14:47
guitariste
Senior Metalhead

I think you should get a Jackson DXMG Dinky. Because:
-Floyd Rose
-EMG pick-ups
-Looks good

But the tuners suck, but it doesn't matter, because of course you'd lock the nut.

BTW: obrein do you have a RR??!?!