MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Bass Zone

Old 2003-12-10, 20:14
Rattlehead
Senior Metalhead

Blew a speaker!

I filled in for bass for a concert this band had this week-end, and I blew a speaker while jamming with them the night before the show. I use a Yorkville cabinet, it's 300 watts and has (had) two ten inch speakers. Anyways their drummer is so damned loud that in order to hear any guitars, we have to really krank our volume (he's really good too, not just double kick and blast beats all the time). In fact we always play with ear plugs, because it's so loud. It really sucks because since they have no PA, you can't hear the singing, and if you screw up, everything's so loud you don't realize as much, and therefore you don't improve your skills as quickly as possible. Anyways I asked the singer/guitarist if I should worry about blowing my amp and he said no because their old bassist had a very similar cabinet. Guess that means I only have myself to blame.
Oh well, I plan to replace the ten inch speakers with twelve inch ones, and supposedly they're not too expensive, only 150$ canadian, which is 112$ american, and I think less in Euros (damn I found a site that converts money for you, but I can't remember where). Anyways the point is that's pretty cheap, but that's just the price for the speakers, I'll have to ask someone to show me how to install them myself. Shouldn't be too hard right? I figure I might be able to figure it out myself, but I should probably have someone show me so I don't electrify myself.

I'm also thinking of buying a piece of shit bass I saw at Long and MacQuade (sp?), so I could bring it to school and leave it there and play durings spares and lunch. A real piece of crap, it was like 100$, which is 75$ american. I don't think I can find anything much cheaper than that. I should try to bargain with them lol.

Thank you, fuck you, c'est tout. (an expression I found funny, english and french)

Old 2003-12-11, 07:57
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

usd=euro

well, allmost.

anyway, you're fucked, get descent speakers next time. the 12'' out of a hughes and kettner bassbase or something.

Old 2003-12-11, 17:10
Rattlehead
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally posted by Def
anyway, you're fucked, get descent speakers next time. the 12'' out of a hughes and kettner bassbase or something.

Oh wait I think I get it. Hughes and Kettner is a brand name (I know very little when it comes to brand names of amps and basses), and bassbase? A cacbinet?
I say do away with it. You can always stand in its former location if you need to make use of the perspective it gave you, but will benefit from the ability to situate yourself in different loci with ease.
Destroy the box.

Old 2003-12-11, 17:11
MetalPoldi
Post-whore

Yeah, get good speakers. They'RE really important for your sound.
How much power has your amp?
And if you want to install the speakers by yourself, be aware of this "OHm"-thing and whether you install them serial or parallel. I don't know much about physics, but i know it's not quite healthy if you do it wrong.

Old 2003-12-13, 08:42
Tattered
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

Its not a very good impression, to your new band members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal=life
Hey don't talk back buddy. Give your dick size or don't post.

Old 2004-01-12, 18:41
Rattlehead
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatter3d
Its not a very good impression, to your new band members.

Not really. They told me it has happened to them as well, and even showed me a blown speaker they had lying around. I don't see why that would give them a bad impression. I was already aware that you have to watch for that OHms thing, mine is 8. What's weird about this cabinet, is it's glued together (the wood pieces are all glued together), the screws are just for show and actually play no part in keeping the cabinet together. Obviously you have to take all the screws out first, but if you wanted you could bring the cabinet around without any screws in it and not worry about it falling apart. Before buying new speakers though, I want to figure exactly what I should buy. I heard there is a such thing as Scorpion speakers which use a special magnet that stops the speaker from overloading. So when you would have blown the speaker only this little magnet brakes and needs to get replaced, and it's supposedly only like 5$ or something to replace. If I'm not completely misinformed, I think I'll be getting 12 inch Scorpions instead.
I say do away with it. You can always stand in its former location if you need to make use of the perspective it gave you, but will benefit from the ability to situate yourself in different loci with ease.
Destroy the box.

Old 2004-01-12, 20:09
Tattered
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

christ, u took ages replying to that, i posted that comment middle of 2003!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal=life
Hey don't talk back buddy. Give your dick size or don't post.

Old 2004-01-13, 17:16
Rattlehead
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatter3d
christ, u took ages replying to that, i posted that comment middle of 2003!!

Yeah, it's because I unfortunately do not have the internet. I post from school, when I can.
Destroy the box.