Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > MetalTabs.com > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Old 2003-10-18, 21:16
Post-whore

Send a message via Yahoo to metal=life
Philosophy

Philosophy is fuckin' awsome. Discuss some of your thoughts about life..

I found out that when you die, your brain stays alive for about 10 seconds. An 8 second dream can seem like a lifetime. When you die, that 10 second lucid dream could be another life you live. Think about it, its heavy shit. You could be dreaming right now from a different life. I don't believe in reincarnation or anything but I do believe in dreams and I know they can be real as fuck.

Sounds dumb if you don't comprehend it but I enjoy philosophy and it can really make you think.

------D---
------E---
------A---
---METAL
------H---

"One day we all will die, a cliched fact of life."
Pantera - I'm Broken
Old 2003-10-18, 22:23
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to CarnivorousWind Send a message via MSN to CarnivorousWind Send a message via Yahoo to CarnivorousWind
I hate to think.
Old 2003-10-18, 22:26
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to soulterashaun
Re: Philosophy

Quote:
Originally posted by metal=life
I don't believe in reincarnation or anything but I do believe in dreams and I know they can be real as fuck.

Beliefs are the death of thinking.
Old 2003-10-18, 23:08
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader

Did you just make that up??

anxiety for the future is a source for evolution...
who here thinks there is a such thing as evolution. I do, but I know people who don't.
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx
Old 2003-10-19, 00:06
You gamma-minus fucktards
Forum Leader

Quote:
I found out that when you die, your brain stays alive for about 10 seconds.

It makes it hard to define death as 'the absence of cognitive function' if you think the brain stays working after you die. Likewise, 'clinically dead' is the absence of brain function.

So, what the hell are you talking about?

"It was some kind of evolutionary glitch, she figured; no different than the other unreasonable side effects of consciousness and emotion, like religion and rap music."
Old 2003-10-19, 00:59
Post-whore

Send a message via MSN to corroded
when in doubt, use hammer
Old 2003-10-19, 01:33
Pokémon Master

Quote:
Philosophy is fuckin' awsome. Discuss some of your thoughts about life..

I found out that when you die, your brain stays alive for about 10 seconds. An 8 second dream can seem like a lifetime. When you die, that 10 second lucid dream could be another life you live. Think about it, its heavy shit. You could be dreaming right now from a different life. I don't believe in reincarnation or anything but I do believe in dreams and I know they can be real as fuck.

Sounds dumb if you don't comprehend it but I enjoy philosophy and it can really make you think.

does this mean that i can spend 10 seconds whenn i die thinking WHY THE FUCK DID I OPEN THIS??????
Old 2003-10-19, 02:08
Senior Metalhead

Quote:

does this mean that i can spend 10 seconds whenn i die thinking WHY THE FUCK DID I OPEN THIS??????

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!! That ruled!
Metal=life, when you say you believe in dreams, do you mean you believe they can foresee the future, that they are a real universe/dimension or something else? I think dreams are just gibberish from your day all messed together. And Powers, I believe in evolution 100%. And the people I have met who don't (yes, in the year 2003, there are some people who don't) usually don't for religious reasons, or they just say in a football player / Neanderthalesque voice "Why the fuck should I, no one was around then any ways, and I heard that scientists don't have any evidence of it either. It's just as valid as any other theory. Stupid science!" Then after they wipe the drool coming from the left side of their mouth, they go off dragging their knuckles. I have more respect for those who do not believe in evolution for religious reasons than out of just pure ignorance, as long as they are not trying to get evolution banned from schools. I have also noticed it is mainly (only?) those of a Christian faith who oppose evolution, even though Muslims and Jews have nearly the same creation story.
- Sadistik Exekution
Fuck Off And Die!
- Voivod
Fuck NS Black Metal
- Me
Old 2003-10-19, 02:57
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

Send a message via AIM to Dyldo Send a message via MSN to Dyldo
I love philosophy. Infact, I just picked up two philosophy books today - "Socrates in 90 minutes" and "Plato, not prozac".

Metal=life: What you're talking about (living in a dream) is discussed by (I believe, correct me if I am wrong) Aristotle who dissmised that comment but stating that in a dream state, you cannot physically feel and also the fact that you can not doubt in a dream. Or in other words "I doubt there for I am".

I'd also like to correct Chad in the fact that the religion of Christianity cannot be judged by a few people you know or have talked to. The Christian religion actualy supports evolution, but through God. They believe not that we evoloved from a single celled bactiria, but that animals evolve physically and mentally to adapt to their surroundings (proven) but they only can give birth to the same species.

I believe that evolution is true, thtough which a species can only give life to that same species. The thought that we have evolved in this short amount of time from a bacteria cell is exteremly far fetched, and I think that (for athiests) to believe in that is more ubsurd than to believe in a god. Also, if you take a look at the tree of evolution...it seems alitle bogus. It shows that the gorilla and the mushroom have a direct relation.

For those that are curious about philosophy I suggest the book "The Ideas of Great Philosphers". It covers a mass majority of the greatest philosophers and their ideas. It also explains the diffrent types of philosophys (Relgion, Metaphysics, Espitimology, Utitilitarinism, and shit loads more) and their schools. Because like Metal=life said, It gets you fucking thinking! And how it does!

Last edited by Darko : 2003-10-19 at 03:00.
Old 2003-10-19, 03:08
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

Send a message via AIM to Dyldo Send a message via MSN to Dyldo
While reading a mycology book on hallucenagenic mushrooms I came across this interesting fact. Plato, Socrates, Homer, and some other various philosophers/writers/mathematicians proticipated in secret hallucenagenic mushroom ceremonies often in Greece. Bahaha, some of the smartest men alive where shroom heads.
Old 2003-10-19, 03:35
Senior Metalhead

Darko, I did not mean sound like I was judging all Christians. I know that most of them do accept the theory of evolution. I was just talking about the reasons some people do not support it.
- Sadistik Exekution
Fuck Off And Die!
- Voivod
Fuck NS Black Metal
- Me
Old 2003-10-19, 06:24
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

metal=life, I hope you die and can post feedback in those last 10 seconds.

that would be rad.
Old 2003-10-19, 06:49
Senior Metalhead
Alumni Staff

Quote:

Yeah,but what if you die crushed by a 10ton rock falling on you? Your brain is splattered,so it can't stay alive for 10 seconds...

Or same thing,but this time you get a shotgun shot in the face and your brain splatters out of the back of your head,where are your 10 seconds?

Or same thing,but you're a soldier minding his own business when a bomb is dropped on him.Bye bye brain...

I don't know,the 10 seconds theory sounds kinda crappy to me...
In the witness of the Father, the Son and the Holy
Ghost, his soul will fall below the valley of death.
Left to rot forever, to never be free, never return.
Old 2003-10-19, 08:06
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

Send a message via Yahoo to The Doctor
hmm, i just started to follow philosophy classes at school this year, it seemed pretty neat but i could care less to be honest
Old 2003-10-19, 08:31
warnerve92

Yeah its got me thinking. WHat if you became dead next to a book????????
Old 2003-10-19, 13:04
Forum Leader

Most of our famous poets were drug addicts too. I believe in both sides of the evolution thing to an extent. It it kinda fucked up how, everything came from a single cell....yet, it's also a little bogus if we just appeared. Hmmm, maybe we should just think evolution to be a rhetorical question...a thousand year old question that will never had an answer. I also believe that in our technology quest we missed an important detail; and with that detail, are the answers to rhetorics. Can you just think about that?? One flaw...that made us lead to imperfection. Of what is "logical" or "illogical."
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page
Old 2003-10-19, 15:57
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

Send a message via ICQ to L,B'XXX Send a message via AIM to L,B'XXX Send a message via Yahoo to L,B'XXX
I'm a Christian and I believe in evolution. Who knows how long a day was when the world began and how God developed all the creatures that existed or exist now. I don't for a minute think he went BAM I made a tree and BAM there's a fish. That's ridiculous. Maybe when I die I'll find out. That would be cool.

I also believe in dreams of prophesy. Paranormal existence because several people in my family, including myself, have experienced them.

As far as the drug thing goes, it hasn't been that long ago that most of the less chemically created drugs were in common use for medical reasons. Poe being the best example I can think of. To have a writer of his substance preserving his thoughts was amazing. I think the opiates gradually building up in his system became a great part of his imagination.

And most of you guys are pretty intelligent. Have you heard of the modern astronomer, Carl Sagan? He had a great show on back in the early '80's called "Cosmos". A top notch astronomer and he periodically smoked pot, too. He's my biggest argument when people say potheads are lowlifes. And his wife was the V.P. of NORML, too. There's use and abuse in many things.

I think philosophy is fascinating though. And you guys are so smart !!

-wally: Mom, you shouldn't play after me because it makes you sound even worse than you already do. -wally:*grumbles and whispers quietly* I guess it's cuz I love you or something, but you're still a TURD
Grimm:I could read your mind but its in font size .5
Amadeus:Oh, and was there a cesserole (never mind spelling) involved?
Paddy:the fact that you didn't end up on a kids show makes me question my atheism
Dyldo: You evil strumpet!
Old 2003-10-19, 18:54
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by L,B'XXX
........And you guys are so smart !!

We're the most ignorant species alive.

This is my band's page
Old 2003-10-19, 20:21
Post-whore

Send a message via Yahoo to metal=life
I don't know if its exactly 10 seconds that your brain functions after you're alive but It's proven that it doesnt die instantly. Unless you are struck in the dead which crashes your brain but most people don't die that way. All I'm sayin is that you can be put into a dream after you die which seems like a life time. Look up what a lucid dream is and how the brain functions before you reply to this post as a lie.

Or get off the dreaming subject and post your views on philosophy. Its really interesting. I suggest the movie Waking Life to get your mind more open. If you don't like thinking, don't post

------D---
------E---
------A---
---METAL
------H---

"One day we all will die, a cliched fact of life."
Pantera - I'm Broken
Old 2003-10-19, 21:29
Forum Leader

There's this new book out about the movie Matrix, and the philosophy that goes with it. Anyone seen or read it? It's called...
The Matrix and Philosophy: Welcome to the desert of the real. Edited by William Irwin.
It's not that bad, you guys should check it out.

This is my band's page