MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Bass Zone
User Name
Password

Old 2003-10-08, 13:10
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Jup Rex Brown has cool basslines, 5 minutes alone is fun to play!
Old 2003-10-09, 13:52
Senior Metalhead

My strings aren't low, I adjust the E and A strings to be as high as possible with an allen wrench at the bridge, but it doesn't really help, and they always seem to slowly move back to the original height. I had the exact same problem with my old bass. The strings I've had for I think 3-4 months, but this is because a bassist told me you rarely need to change strings, and that he had the same ones for over a year. He also said that once they get old, if you don't want to buy new ones, you can boil the strings in water and they will sound almost as good as new. I will try changing the pickup height if possible. Def you're right, since the low strings move more, that's why this is happening (it's especially bad in the odd time that I tune down). The bass has no active equalizer. Is this the same as active pickups? Either way I don't have em.

'Set your EQ in your bass as the EQ in your amp. You'll get a real shitty sound.'
Assuming you cannot adjust the EQ on the bass, how would it be set on the amp to sound 'shitty'?

I don't put my amp on full, but this is because I fear blowing it. The previous owner was the drummer's father and he had warned me not to blow the amp, even though I use it louder now than back before I owned it.

'bass guitar was originally meant to be played with your thumb' Interesting. There are things you can do with this style that you cannot do otherwise. Like playing fret 3 on the E string and fret 5 on the D string at the same time.

MetalPoldi I know what you mean, picking with the index and thumb nails, but it I wonder if you'd have better control with a pick, since it's practicly the same thing.

Anyways thanks for the tips, I will try that pickup adjusting as soon as I get home.
Old 2003-10-12, 15:32
New Blood

Send a message via AIM to SoulSlayer
Its actually advised that bassists change their strings monthly. However I change mine every 4-5 months because a nice set of bass strings arent cheap. Not changing strings for a year will do some damage to your sound, so advise changing a lot more often than that, cant beat the sound of new strings
Yearning to be held by you
Alone so alone Im lost
Consumed by the Pain
In My Darkest Hour [Written by Mustaine in memory of Cliff]
Old 2003-10-14, 08:00
Post-whore

Send a message via ICQ to MetalPoldi
Quote:
Originally posted by Rattlehead

'Set your EQ in your bass as the EQ in your amp. You'll get a real shitty sound.'
Assuming you cannot adjust the EQ on the bass, how would it be set on the amp to sound 'shitty'?

I meant your potis, that low the depths and highs. Mine passive bass has got one of them.
Quote:
Originally posted by Rattlehead

MetalPoldi I know what you mean, picking with the index and thumb nails, but it I wonder if you'd have better control with a pick, since it's practicly the same thing.

But it's quite hard to hold a pick in the same song when you play in the same song fingerstyle, too.