MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Bass Zone
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 3.64 average.
Old 2003-06-11, 13:02
Die Young.

Quote:
Originally posted by Damien-X
heh I play bass with fingers, picks are too easy to play with......... I've tried playing with a pick before and honestly it's annoying........... playing with fingers you have more control and freedom I guess....
I play thrash, power, prog, death and black metal with fingers, although it is harder to get such speed with fingers as you do with picks....... I'd rather a fucking challenge! not an easy way out.

Fuck yeah, it's a lot harder to play really fast and to figure out what finger goes where instead of just stumming notes with the same plastic pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe_blunts
you done told me lots of thangs bout beer n shit and canada. have a grand ol cunt of a good time.

RIP moe.
Old 2003-06-24, 15:35
New Blood

Send a message via AIM to SoulSlayer
I play with all 4 fingers and i must say i can get at least 4 times faster with fingers than anything i can play with a pic. I never ever use a pic anymore. Why are some people saying they play with fingers because a pics too easy?? thats pretty stupid, if you can play easier with a pic then use a god damn pic, i play with fingers because i can play faster and more accurately. And now for a speed argument, fingers are faster than pics anyday
Yearning to be held by you
Alone so alone Im lost
Consumed by the Pain
In My Darkest Hour [Written by Mustaine in memory of Cliff]
Old 2003-06-28, 07:16
Supreme Metalhead

Meh, both are good. Some finger bassists shun pickers, but for me there are respectable bassists that use either.

Finger:
The almighty Cliff Burton
Steve Harris
Gezzer Butler
Frank Bello (He switches sometimes though.)

Pick:
LEMMY
D.D. Verni
Jason Newsted
Rex Brown (He sometimes switches too)
And then sing it with a passion
Painted faces in a circus
Images they brings to mind
When I read my Penny Dreadful
Filled with pictures of your kind
Old 2003-06-28, 09:00
Supreme Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to artofnothing6 Send a message via Yahoo to artofnothing6
geezer goes crazy on his damn bass, i feel sorry for it sometimes, Even though the notes and shit he plays sound great, and he's a great player, but his basses take a beating.
Old 2003-10-30, 14:58
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally posted by SoulSlayer
I play with all 4 fingers and i must say i can get at least 4 times faster with fingers than anything i can play with a pic. I never ever use a pic anymore. Why are some people saying they play with fingers because a pics too easy?? thats pretty stupid, if you can play easier with a pic then use a god damn pic, i play with fingers because i can play faster and more accurately. And now for a speed argument, fingers are faster than pics anyday

I agree, if you can play faster with a pick, do it, but personally I feel no freedom using a pick, plus using fingers is much faster. Four times as fast is a gross exxaferation, but personally I'd still say finger picking is faster. With pick, there are two actions that make a note (up and down obviously), but with finger, there are four, so if you can move one finger as fast as you move the pick down, you should technically be able to go twice as fast using four fingers over a pick.

Keep trying it slowly Tattered, it will come, I use my pinky, and I bet I have smaller hands than you.

The only thing I don't like about not being able to use a pick, is I can't recreate the sound of one. I'm not going to try a pick, because last time I used a pick I embarrassed myself, I'm just about as good as someone that just started playing. Oh yeah and one more reason you might want to learn using a pick, is if you want to let a note ring while playing one string up (down gravity wise), obviously because the finger would rest on the string that's supposed to ring and mute it.

Picking speed is one thing, but no matter what you can always pick faster than you can change notes with the fretting hand, so it's equally important to get speed for fretting, unless you just want to play roots really fast. I don't know any Slayer, I learned Hell Awaits and got bored of it and decided not to learn Slayer anytime soon. Maybe I should give some a try again, but it seems that he never does anything but follow the rhythm guitar exactly, or strum the roots real fast, which can get pretty repetetive and boring.
Old 2003-11-22, 14:02
New Blood

Location: Crazy, but thats how it goes, millions of people living as foes, maybe its not to late, to learn how to love, and forget how to hate
Send a message via AIM to UndeadPaperclip Send a message via Yahoo to UndeadPaperclip
Fingers give me much more range, more versatile. if I want the "Twangy" sound Ill play closer to the bridge
Old 2003-11-22, 17:21
Senior Metalhead

I am trying to use fingers because I get more powerfull sound with them...
But I get easely tired.

Old 2003-11-27, 13:47
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally posted by UndeadPaperclip
Fingers give me much more range, more versatile. if I want the "Twangy" sound Ill play closer to the bridge
I can't play well close to the bridge, the strings have too much tension and not enough 'give' (room to move is the best way I can explain it )
Old 2003-11-27, 14:20
Die Young.

Yeah, I play right over the pickups like you should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe_blunts
you done told me lots of thangs bout beer n shit and canada. have a grand ol cunt of a good time.

RIP moe.
Old 2003-11-27, 23:09
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to x2xAtreyux2x
Quote:
Originally posted by daggerfall
I am trying to use fingers because I get more powerfull sound with them...
But I get easely tired.

Do hand exercises to up your stamina
Old 2004-03-12, 13:08
Senior Metalhead

I practise at home with my fingers,
but when i'm jamming with our band, i usually use a pick, because my fingers can't move as fast as i'd like them to and the sound seems to be duller(?) with my fingers.
Old 2004-03-13, 07:15
Supreme Metalhead

Send a message via ICQ to Sodomaniac
I play with my fingers because I find it sounds better than with pic ! But you have too practice your fingers to play fast a while !!
Old 2004-03-15, 15:15
New Blood

Send a message via ICQ to Unlord
Angry Shun me for being both

Shunning me, shunning you. Shala lala la la. *Deep voiced*.

I play both styles. Both pick and pickless. Mostly finger style though. I think that's more natural and gives you more freedom, especially when playing funky shit.

For straight ahead 16th note stuff I prefer a pick. Could do without one easily, but it just has a really nice raw edge. Oh and one thing, if you play distorted, a pick will sound better. I'm referring to Type O Negative's sound.

A guy like Flea plays with a pick nowadays. And that man is known for his thumb 'n finger style. He's just exploring new area's and possibilities of music. Hell, Peter Steele often plays with a wine bottle! Go try a comb, a fridge or even a flame thrower yourself. To hell with common sense. Everything for a good, fresh sound.

Shun yerself first.
Old 2004-03-16, 06:42
New Blood

Finger or Pick .... I prefer the sound of finger but then if you cant use your fingrers and are a lazy shit who won't practise then picks the only one ... but i like finger sounds more sexy.
Old 2004-03-24, 04:40
Senior Metalhead

I play with my fingers because I utilise a lot of slapping in the music I create. Apparently picks have their place, but I don't know where - maybe with bass chords (which I use often), but I haven't really found a need for a pick yet.
Old 2004-03-25, 00:52
New Blood

Fingers

After playing guitar for 14 yrs or so, I obviously find the pick easier to perform with, especially when its straight tremelo picked guitar. However, I usually refuse to use the pick - somehow finger style feels right. The tone is punchier, I have more dynamic control, and I don't feel like a guitarist trying to play a bass... though that happens sometimes when I realize that I'm still a beginning bass player

I can thrash pretty well with my fingers, but my 3 finger technique needs work... so death metal is very tough on my speed for now.

I guess I do kinda shun pick style bass, even when it comes to myself using one as a crutch sometimes.

BlackLeshii
4 String Forest Demon
Old 2004-03-25, 08:36
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by artofnothing6
geezer goes crazy on his damn bass, i feel sorry for it sometimes, Even though the notes and shit he plays sound great, and he's a great player, but his basses take a beating.

Geezer has an extraoridinarily weird playing style. Having said that he's a fucking great player so I'm not exactly paying out on him.
Old 2004-04-05, 09:41
New Blood

I just started to play bass, and I use a pick, whenever I try, i know this will make me sound like a weakling, my fingers its hard, and the pick is much easier, should I really put the effort into learning how to use fingers, or is it alright if I stay with pick.
Old 2004-04-06, 01:48
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirs
I just started to play bass, and I use a pick, whenever I try, i know this will make me sound like a weakling, my fingers its hard, and the pick is much easier, should I really put the effort into learning how to use fingers, or is it alright if I stay with pick.

Like any instrument, it is all a matter of learning the right technique. You are in a very enviable position. Seek bass lessons from a proper bass teacher as soon as possible - you will not regret it later on, especially when you realise you have a good bass technique down pat.

The idea for beginners on any instrument (including bassists), is to develop the right technique from day one. A person who had mediocre skill but the right technique will always be a better player than somebody with horrid technique and talent.
Old 2004-04-08, 14:38
New Blood

I suppose it's because I played classical guitar before I approached the bass, but from the beginning I naturally played spider. When I want a sound with more attack, I just hold my pointing finger as though it were a pick itself, and I use my nail.