MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording
User Name
Password

Old 2001-12-31, 18:12
New Blood

your amps

what kind of amps do you guys play through?I play a hiwat bulldog 10 for now it's all i could aford. it gets a terible overdriven sound when i crank the gain and is not really the sound i like to useunless i'm trying to play ac/dc which it emmulates nicely.
Old 2001-12-31, 18:55
The Devil
Alumni Staff

Send a message via ICQ to memnoch Send a message via AIM to memnoch Send a message via MSN to memnoch
Peavey Bandit 112.

Does a very nice job at everything. I have no complaints at all, been using it for a year.
Justice the founder of my fabric moved
To rear me was the task of power divine
Supremest wisdom, and primeval love
Before me things create were none, save things
Eternal, and eternal I endure
All hope abandon, ye who enter here

Against the concert of the Immortals he cannot stand alone.
Old 2002-01-01, 07:52
I dont believe in gravity
Alumni Staff

Marshall...

Don't know the type, I don't care much for amps...

If they're loud, they're good.

Atifman wrote: 'Katham is from Hungary, h?'

Godflesh is good.
Old 2002-01-01, 09:50
Metalhead

Crate B10 XL

...small, a little over a foot tall, but, it gives an awesome crunch tone with my distortion........I love it compared to some of my friends' amps that I've tried before!...It's not my friends' amps that suck, its just that they don't have'em equalized on the right settings that I like.

...But, you can barely hear my guitar, on my amp, over live drums!
So I really need a BIGGER amp!
Old 2002-01-01, 14:38
Senior Metalhead

Ive got a crate GFX 212+ and a Marshall JCM 800 which is switchable between 50 and 100 watt.
Old 2002-01-02, 17:55
New Blood

Send a message via ICQ to Cr33p
I've Got a Marshall VS265, 2x100 Watt 2x12" combo
Old 2002-01-21, 17:24
Metalhead

hhmm i play trough a H&K attax 100 (120 watt). It's nice but can be better...
The victory is ours.
Old 2002-01-22, 02:00
New Blood

Send a message via AIM to Power Groove
I play through a Randall RG 75. It's a pretty bare-bones, solid-state amp, but it's loud as fuck, the clean is clear as a bell, and the distortion is pretty good.
Old 2002-01-22, 15:19
New Blood

Yamaha KS 50 amp (125 watt)

It's loud and crystle clear. It's very basic, so I get all of my effects from my DOD FX7 multi-effects processor.
Time to ride the stars
It's time to be immortal, 'cuz heroes never die.

Old 2002-01-22, 17:05
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via ICQ to death_rattle89
i have a crappy custom amp that i have had ever since i started playing guitar which was 3 years ago, and have been wanted a new and better amp but never saved up enough money and never got around to it.

i have a question, i know i have asked this before, but are marshall jcm series tube amps? i thought they were but im not sure. and do tube amps neccesarily have a better distortion sound than solidstate amps? just wondering b/c i was thinking i would like to get a marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 head with an angled cabinet.

Old 2002-01-23, 16:22
Senior Metalhead
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by death_rattle89
do tube amps neccesarily have a better distortion sound than solidstate amps?

No. Then again,it depends what kind of distortion you want. Seventies overdrive or death metal chugging power.

A tube amp is supposed to sound better when you have to play loud. I'm just speaking about the volume here though. (poweramp)

Metal distortion is something that is created by a preamp. Preamps can be solidstate or tube.

Most players use solidstate preamps and tube poweramps.
For example: Boss Metalzone or SuperOverdrive into a Marshall tube head. (Zakk Wylde,Kerry King,Trey Azagtoth) The tube head will be set on the clean channel or on the lead channel with no gain on.

Some players use alltube preamps and poweramps. The tube heads must then be able to deliver enough gain on their own.
For example: Most Mesa Boogie (=Metallica,Testament) and Peavey 5150 (Machinehead on their first album) users.

Lastly some use completely solidstate distortion with great results.
For example: Dimebag Darrel - Pantera (Randall), Dino Cazares - Fear Factory (Line 6).

Some people think that all solidstate amps are crap but that's mainly because the only solidstate amps they've played are cheap Marshalls(Valvesates),Peaveys(Transtubes) or Crates(don't know their name).

Oh yeah and there IS a big difference between a Metalzone plugged in a 15watt Valvestate and a Metalzone plugged in a JCM800 or Mesa Rectifier.
In the witness of the Father, the Son and the Holy
Ghost, his soul will fall below the valley of death.
Left to rot forever, to never be free, never return.
Old 2002-04-11, 17:44
New Blood

I disagree with disciple about only being able to get metal crunch from using a distortion pedal in front of a valve amp I play a marshall TSL 60 JCM 2000 head into a 1936 2x12 cab and that has tons of preamp distortion and it's way better than my now redundant metalzone, It may not be able to match its level of gain but it sounds far more full and real and way heavier sounding this is because all the sound is being created using tubes. The problem with the marshalls is that the EQ is not really sufficient to scoop enough of the mids for a real metal crunch, but I put a boss eq pedal in the effects loop to shape the tone better (a useful addition to any amp) and I use EMG pickups which gives me the perfect sound without using a distortion pedal. The only pedal based dirt box I rate is the boss sd 1 that zakk uses as this is used to push the amp harder rather than create external distortion, it makes the amp's existing gain go through the roof by pushing the signal through harder and making the tubes work more. Zakk needs this because he uses a JCM 800 which was made for a time when gain was less extreme but a modern marshall will give a kickass metal tone without an overdrive pedal.

I would be tempted to go for the 50 or 60 watt jcm 2000 amp head +cab as this is perfect for a band situation, 100 watts is just too much power to crank up at a rehearsal and you need it cranked to get the best sound from it, 50 watts is plenty for the vast majority of gigs thesse days anyway.
Old 2002-04-11, 17:57
Supreme Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to CtHuLhU DaWn
i got a Marshall 15watt thingy, i like it much!
I know its small, but, i loves it all the same
Old 2002-04-11, 18:56
Metalhead

Location: California (where the dead walk the earth. HAHAHA!)
Send a message via AIM to DissectedCarcas
marshall VS265: nice chorus, shitty distortion
For the color dancers were pulsing, spinning, making liquid cartoons. Not really animations, but clear shades of color, forming a toy playground. They made this delight of breathing easy. All the playground objects were alive, including the swings and the merry-go-round. A silvery-blue arch of plastic color formed and collapsed in the center. A toy little boy, or maybe she was a little girl, jumped along this object, sliding down it, hanging on with small fingers, leaping into the grass. I felt a sense of responsibility begin to resonate within me, both for the knowledge of my wife and my coming child, and the deep psychedelic responsibility of my shamanic-like path. I glanced away briefly and one of the DMT beings, tall, thin and golem-like, grasped my head and turned it back to see. The shapes kept moving, and the child was my innocence too, and it was asking me to promise to share that innocence completely with our shinebelly baby when she/he births and grows and becomes human.
Old 2002-04-12, 04:51
New Blood

Thumbs up

I use the POD 2.0 as a Premamp for Distortion and Effects.
I run it into a Mesa Boogie 50/50 Poweramp and have a Boogie 4812 Cabinet.

Just awesome!!! Cannot understand why people are talking shit about the POD?!!
Old 2002-04-12, 12:42
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

I have a Hughes And Kettner Bassbase 400 tube amp for my bass..
it's fucking loud and that's the way I like it!
Old 2002-04-12, 17:31
Pussy Pulverizer
Alumni Staff

Send a message via AIM to INVERTED
Quote:
Originally posted by death_rattle89
i have a question, i know i have asked this before, but are marshall jcm series tube amps? i thought they were but im not sure. and do tube amps neccesarily have a better distortion sound than solidstate amps? just wondering b/c i was thinking i would like to get a marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 head with an angled cabinet.

I play out of a Marshall JCM 2000 TSL 60 head with a 4x12 JCM 900 Lead - 1960 slant cab. The thing fucking rocks! 100 watts would be ovekill for me. Also depending on the different wattage the heads, they each have different overall tones. All the JCM's are tube amps buy the way. I personaly don't think there is much of a difference between solid state and tubes myself. As I used to have ATV, which was excelent too.

Last edited by INVERTED : 2002-04-12 at 17:53.
Old 2002-04-12, 17:40
Forum Reverend
Forum Leader

Arrow

Peavey Bandit 112...all i need
Old 2002-04-12, 17:57
Pussy Pulverizer
Alumni Staff

Send a message via AIM to INVERTED
Quote:
Originally posted by shatered sanity
I disagree with disciple about only being able to get metal crunch from using a distortion pedal in front of a valve amp I play a marshall TSL 60 JCM 2000 head into a 1936 2x12 cab and that has tons of preamp distortion and it's way better than my now redundant metalzone, It may not be able to match its level of gain but it sounds far more full and real and way heavier sounding this is because all the sound is being created using tubes. The problem with the marshalls is that the EQ is not really sufficient to scoop enough of the mids for a real metal crunch, but I put a boss eq pedal in the effects loop to shape the tone better (a useful addition to any amp) and I use EMG pickups which gives me the perfect sound without using a distortion pedal. The only pedal based dirt box I rate is the boss sd 1 that zakk uses as this is used to push the amp harder rather than create external distortion, it makes the amp's existing gain go through the roof by pushing the signal through harder and making the tubes work more. Zakk needs this because he uses a JCM 800 which was made for a time when gain was less extreme but a modern marshall will give a kickass metal tone without an overdrive pedal.

I would be tempted to go for the 50 or 60 watt jcm 2000 amp head +cab as this is perfect for a band situation, 100 watts is just too much power to crank up at a rehearsal and you need it cranked to get the best sound from it, 50 watts is plenty for the vast majority of gigs thesse days anyway.

Interesting... You and I have almost exactly the same rig.
Old 2002-04-13, 15:01
New Blood

Yeah it's fucking awesome, loads of guys on here seem to think that the more watts the better which isn't the case, those guys don't realise that 60 watts is plenty because you can crank it easier and get some nice power amp distortion going. I'm not sure I agree with your statement about the vs range, to me there's no comparison between the two. Do you use any effects with your amp? All i've got set up at the moment is a crybaby in front of the amp and a boss ge-7 eq in the loop, if you haven't tried this I strongly reccommend getting one as it will make your Marshall sound any way you want it to without the need for any seperate distortion pedals, scoops the mids nicely. Cheers