MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2011-10-05, 17:34
Amadeus
Quantum.

Not enough noise

Well, what the hell, might as well throw a question out here, in case someone just happens to know a good answer off the top of their head.

I have what I consider to be a really great amp, but it has a huge drawback, for me - there's not enough noise, or whatever you'd call it, in it. For example, I have a song where I play a solo part with only the left hand, but when I try to play it using this particular amp it pretty much falls flat because there is, well... not enough noise. Which on the face of it seems kinda silly, seeing as the sound is pretty sweet when playing normally. So yea, I figure it might just be a matter of hooking up a pedal and maxing the gain like there was no tomorrow, but what the heck, if anyone has any fun suggestions on how to achieve good hammer-on/pull-off reply from an amp...

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

"Imagination is more important than intelligence" - Einstein

Old 2011-10-05, 17:57
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

Does the same guitar sound fine on other amps? Is it a tube amp? You sure none of your tubes are blown? And do you have a "solo" button on your switchboard?
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Old 2011-10-05, 20:56
Amadeus
Quantum.

Yea, it sounds fine on my other amp. It's a tube amp, but at least both of 'em are glowing and there isn't any issue with volume or such. I should mention that it's probably always been a bit lacking in this area; to be quite honest I haven't been skilled enough before to actually find this sort of thing hampering. A good point about this amp is the minimal feedback you get even in a ridiculously small rehearsing space where you can't really avoid having the instrument too close to it.
I think I'll just try to run it through both a dist pedal and my PA, just to see what happens if you start out by maxing out gain and highs/middles and then gradually lower it.

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

"Imagination is more important than intelligence" - Einstein

Old 2011-10-06, 08:39
Pr0az
Post-whore

Active Pickups on the guitar? If not might help to get some, Active Pickups can add that extra preamp you need.

Last edited by Pr0az : 2011-10-06 at 09:17.