Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone
User Name
Password

Old 2005-10-09, 14:29
Metal As Fuck!

Send a message via MSN to davie_gravy Send a message via Yahoo to davie_gravy
Miscellaneous Guitar Related & Often Repeated Questions

Use this thread for the opportunity to ask all those questions that aren't quite threadworthy. Do no post any videos, for this is strictly for questions related to the guitar ONLY. This is to help cut down on the massive number of useless and often repeated threads.

HEY YOU NEWBIES... wanna make a post or a thread about something and your afraid of getting flamed? Post it here, for you are safe from ingnorant new threads spawning because of your lack of intellect or ability to use the search feature.

Enjoy!

BuildTheMusic.com is your #1 FREE online guitar resource center.

Last edited by davie_gravy : 2005-10-20 at 00:20.
Old 2005-10-09, 14:32
Metal As Fuck!

And let me be the first to ask a miscellaneous guitar related question.

I was wondering, while messing with my tuner that it has just the straight up EADGBe lights for tuning, and the calibrate is to get "EADGBe" in a different pitch. Like 439. So my question is this. Is that was cents are? A unit of measurement for pitch? Also does 1 cent = 1 whole step. Thanks.

Old 2005-10-09, 21:34
Senior Metalhead

tuning frequencies are usually between 430 - 450hz, with the reference being 440hz. this means your instrument should be in perfect pitch with other instruments.
the percent is how sharp or how flat the pitch is according to the reference.
eg. you wish to tune open 5 string, which is A. your tuner will display A and how close you are to matching that pitch, and percentage is the measurement of the difference. the lower the percentage the closer the pitch is to being in tune with 0% being perfectly in tune.
also, 100% is half step, 50% is a quarter step, 25% is an eigth step and so on.
i hope this made sense.

also, if youd like to experiment with creating a lower tone, set the frequency to below 440hz and tune in pitch with the tuner eg. 435hz. youll find that if you tune to standard, it will no longer be standard, but everything will be 5hz below standard. so the low E instead of being 82hz, will now be 77hz and so on.

Last edited by andras : 2005-10-10 at 19:29.
Old 2005-10-09, 23:00
Metal As Fuck!

That makes total sense, that deals with hertz. I realized that I have no clue what cent is? It is a smaller unit of hertz?

Old 2005-10-10, 06:32
Senior Metalhead

a cent is a semitone devided into one hundred equal parts.
it is not initially associated with herts, but theres probably an easy equation to link the two.
"The complexity of the penguins' lifestyle testifies to a Divine Creator," said one commentator on Christian Answers. "To think that natural selection or even the penguins themselves could come up with the idea to migrate miles and miles multiple times each year without their partner or their offspring is a bit insulting to my intellect. How great is our God!"
Old 2005-10-10, 09:39
Senior Metalhead

great idea to have a thread like this. I'm asking: what the fuck is wrong with my guitar? only the high E string buzzez at every fret, but any other string doesn't. I have a floyd rose bridge, and can't get just one string higher. Do you think that the frets are worn out or something ?!?!?!?
Old 2005-10-10, 16:56
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to DEAD
On both sides of the trem itself there will be hex nuts. One next to the low e and one next to the high e. Get a hex wrench and turn the nut by the high e in the direction to raise the bridge up. Do it little by little.
Comforting silence
Old 2005-10-11, 07:14
Senior Metalhead

thaks man, I tried it and it worked.
Old 2005-10-15, 20:25
Post-whore

Send a message via MSN to the_bleeding
TUNERS

Hey guys, the tuners on my RG are really shitty... they'll go out if i bend more than a semitone... so could you lend any ideas for decent tuners. I was looking over ebay, and the main companies are schaller, grover, and sperzel... and i dont know whether i should get locking tuners or not.

any advice would be appreciated.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!
Old 2005-10-16, 01:01
Metal As Fuck!

Hmmm,

I own 2 RGs and none of em go out of tune. Are the tuner themselves loose? Like the screw that adheres the tuner maybe loose? I don't know why you would lose tune.

Old 2005-10-16, 01:33
Quantum.

Drop C

If I may sneak in with a question - I have just began practicing a song that goes in drop C. Problem is, the lower bass string refuses to keep the tuning. I play the song and it is something like ten to twenty percent off at the end. Is this the same type of problem you get with brand new strings so it will correct itself with time? Or must I get used to retune the thing after every song in drop C?

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

"Imagination is more important than intelligence" - Einstein
Old 2005-10-16, 04:46
Post-whore

Send a message via ICQ to h4x5k8 Send a message via AIM to h4x5k8 Send a message via MSN to h4x5k8 Send a message via Yahoo to h4x5k8
try get some locking tuners, im going to be stocking all my non-trem, ToM bridges with some schaller locking ones, or sperzel.
Old 2005-10-16, 15:18
Metal As Fuck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
If I may sneak in with a question - I have just began practicing a song that goes in drop C. Problem is, the lower bass string refuses to keep the tuning. I play the song and it is something like ten to twenty percent off at the end. Is this the same type of problem you get with brand new strings so it will correct itself with time? Or must I get used to retune the thing after every song in drop C?

How far away is your 'standard' tuning? If your going from E/Eb to drop C, except it to be like new strings and lose tune untill the slack can dispersed. Standard D to drop C, would just be the top string, and would take a few re-tunings to differentiate the slack.

Old 2005-10-16, 23:49
Toast-whore

Send a message via MSN to OpethFan
Alright, i want to start playing around with my tremelo.

Yes, its a lisenced floyd rose and it goes uber outta tune if i do anything else but vibratos with it.

I didnt know that tightening the nuts at the saddle (saddle? end of the neck where it joins the headstock) kept it in tune better. Which it does, but if i try a dive-bomb it doesnt matter how tight i have em, it just goes outta tune like crazy.

Any way of getting it to help stay in tune, tighter springs maybe? Its almost like the bridge doesnt fall back into place after a large whammy hit.
Then again, its an old bridge, i have a feeling im just gonna have to wait until i get a guitar.

But if you guys have any suggestions... Thanks

Think my attitude stinks?? You should smell my fingers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB_ZE_METALLEU
yeah, one night he (BassBehemoth) came with some GHB and he put it in my drink, when i woke up....i lost my hymen....terrible

Old 2005-10-17, 08:01
Post-whore

i ordered a guitar yesterday with a licensed floyd... and im just guna replace it with a floyd original or floyd pro... im pretty sure that would be the best bet for fixing tuning problems.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!
Old 2005-10-17, 08:10
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to Something_Wicked
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpethFan
Any way of getting it to help stay in tune, tighter springs maybe? Its almost like the bridge doesnt fall back into place after a large whammy hit.

I dunno, it might be to tight, cause I had a real problem with my sprongs being to tight, they raised my bridge up like to a 90 degree angle like right from the factory so I had to dissassemble the whole thing, then put it back but I left the springs a little looser...dont know if this post was pointless or not

I HATE RABBIFOODSLICER
Old 2005-10-17, 08:23
Post-whore

question! (duh)

my buddy has a mid 70's fender strat with a kahler trem in it... it looks like it was originally built this way... or was customized perfectly. Anybody know how much that thing could go for?
Old 2005-10-17, 09:09
Post-whore

Does this mean that all licensed Floyd bridges can't hold tunings when dive bombing? Because I want to buy an used Ibanez(won't say which) which was discontinued(due to a lawsuit) and it has a locking licensed Floyd system. So I wouldn't be able to play Morbid Angel-style solos and shit with it?

I know I'm going to have a hell of a time setting the bridge up, but I'm up for it, I need a 2nd guitar anyway.

I also want to know this: If you take all the strings off of a guitar, does this mean that the neck will immedeately warp due to lack of tension? How long can a neck be "safe" without it being stringed? Do necks with a truss rod simply stay straight always?

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)
Old 2005-10-17, 09:21
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeru
Does this mean that all licensed Floyd bridges can't hold tunings when dive bombing?

No, mine stays in tune even if I dive with the bar touching the body.
Old 2005-10-17, 10:20
Post-whore

the ibanez edges are easily the best licensed floyds out there... mine never goes out of tune.