MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Metal > Poetry Lyrical

Old 2011-04-07, 06:37
L,B'XXX
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

On legalities of writing

I'm involved in a writing forum that is opening an ebook store. I'm learning more about publishing my own work on it and I'm not quite sure what do. If I use material I've put on here or other forums I might have to pull them off for copyright reasons. I might also lose my rights to the piece for however many years it might be in print. Lots to learn and lots to think about. It would be great to have a book. My writing, I think, has tightened up immensely from its beginnings so I'm really torn about how to pursue this. Mostly just venting and asking for ideas, but I thought I'd put it out here.
Thanks for reading and commenting if you do.

-wally: Mom, you shouldn't play after me because it makes you sound even worse than you already do. -wally:*grumbles and whispers quietly* I guess it's cuz I love you or something, but you're still a TURD
Grimm:I could read your mind but its in font size .5
Amadeus:Oh, and was there a cesserole (never mind spelling) involved?
Paddy:the fact that you didn't end up on a kids show makes me question my atheism
Dyldo: You evil strumpet!

Old 2011-04-08, 11:31
Paddy
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

There's nothing legal about anything you've ever written.

I have no clue about copyright laws but if all goes well for you I look forward to purchasing a copy of "Poetry to Drown Your Kids to".

Old 2011-04-11, 10:14
L,B'XXX
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

Gee, thanks, Paddy. Always a boost to my writing skills and education when I have encouragement like that.

-wally: Mom, you shouldn't play after me because it makes you sound even worse than you already do. -wally:*grumbles and whispers quietly* I guess it's cuz I love you or something, but you're still a TURD
Paddy:the fact that you didn't end up on a kids show makes me question my atheism

Old 2011-04-11, 10:18
Paddy
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

RACIST.

I respect your work.

Old 2011-04-22, 04:05
PST 88
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

If you can't publish in such a way that you retain the rights to your own written work you really shouldn't do it.

Old 2011-04-22, 06:19
L,B'XXX
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

That's partly why I'm hesitant. I've posted material in other places, but it hasn't been crucial to meet publishing obligations. I'd like to have a book of polished pieces, but I need to be absolutely sure I'm not going to be unhappy with the process.

Old 2011-04-22, 06:33
Amadeus
Quantum.

Getting professional legal advice, when signing something as important as this, probably is a good idea. Basically, I think you should never sign a contract where you don't fully understand every implication of all it entails, and taking the extra time to have someone not involved in the process go over it usually pays off in the long run.

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

"Imagination is more important than intelligence" - Einstein

Old 2011-04-22, 08:20
L,B'XXX
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

That's good advice. A fellow writer pulled his lyrics off a forum once he'd recorded a professional album using them just because of copyright. I don't know what details there were if he was under contract, but I'll try to find out.