MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2011-03-06, 18:29
JMaynard
New Blood

Arrow what is the best guitar mic to use for recording?

As you ALL know there are alot of Guitar Mics to use.
What is the best mic to use for recording that ISNT top of the line??
Any Ideas??

Old 2011-03-06, 21:53
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

You really cannot go wrong with a Sure 57. I've used it on dozens of recordings (including this one with out any fancy pre-amp (just into a Firepod interface which does have one, but nothing top of the line). The S57 will only run you around $120 and with good mixing and leveling will work great. Lots of professional studios use them quite often.

But how you mic has a lot to do with it. I find placing the mic directly in front of the cone as closely as possible and then recording two tracks and panning them makes a nice "full" sound.

What interface are you using to run the mics in?
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Old 2011-03-07, 16:38
JMaynard
New Blood

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyldo
You really cannot go wrong with a Sure 57. I've used it on dozens of recordings (including this one with out any fancy pre-amp (just into a Firepod interface which does have one, but nothing top of the line). The S57 will only run you around $120 and with good mixing and leveling will work great. Lots of professional studios use them quite often.

But how you mic has a lot to do with it. I find placing the mic directly in front of the cone as closely as possible and then recording two tracks and panning them makes a nice "full" sound.

What interface are you using to run the mics in?

I just got a TASCAM 2488 24-track Digital Recording workstation
Ive spent alot of time in studios paying out of my pocket and I thought to myself some self knowledge about recording would go along way and save money in the long run. Considering the unit that I just bought was 799, not to bad really. So I'm really looking for a good basic setup for a home studio.
Drum mics, Guitar Mic Ect I have had some experince with recording on a 4-track tape recorder I think I would record 2 guitar passes and then a bass pass and a drum machine pass, that was when i was just starting to get in to recording my own music and didnt really have experince or the money. I noticed with the 4-track that if you pan either guitar pass to right and one on the left it would make the track sound full. Dose this same principle appy with the digital age? Also Will I be able to make a Clean pass on just one track with out it bleeding into another track while playing back the orignal track and while recording another guitar track ect.

Old 2011-03-19, 11:10
blitz906
Okay.

These things get really good reviews. They are specifically designed for mic'ing cabinets.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.co...hone?sku=276668
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompelledToLacerate
God, the Japanese are so weird. This HAS to be the long term effects of the atom bombs. No one is that weird on purpose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomli
The slams in that song always kill me. First time I heard that song I was like "Too much heaviness - brain collapse" but now I could murder my family to that one

Old 2011-03-19, 12:34
Amadeus
Quantum.

Ah, musician's friend, how many complaints of tight budgets have ye not drawn from me.

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

"Imagination is more important than intelligence" - Einstein

Old 2011-04-04, 15:08
Bones98
Post-whore

Shure 57s are great.

I've had good experiences with Audio Tecnica mics, both condensor or dynamic.

Old 2011-04-05, 12:42
JMaynard
New Blood

I was actually looking at the Shure SM57 as a voical mic, and the Sennheiser E609 Silver Dynamic as my guitar mic. Im not to sure about what kind of drum mics I would like to use, I would like to use a Dynamic over head mic but not really sure what brand to go with for micing the whole kit.

Old 2011-04-05, 13:00
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

I'd suggest pretty strongly against using the SM57 for a vocal mic. 58 would be much better for vox, both live and in studio.
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Old 2011-04-07, 17:23
JMaynard
New Blood

I thought the SM57 was basically an SM58 without the mesh grille?
Unless there is something technical I dont understand?
I know that Its been known for miking guitar and snare for both live and in the studio and I think the SM57 and the SM58 are the same price at $109
I guess what It comes down to prefrence.

Last edited by JMaynard : 2011-04-07 at 20:38.

Old 2011-05-03, 07:55
blitz906
Okay.

The SM58 is specifically designed for vocals. The SM57 is an 'instrument microphone' specifically designed for acoustic and/or amplified instruments (drums, guitar/bass cabinets, brass, acoustic guitars etc). It can be used for vocals though, depending on your personal preference. My ol' man uses a SM57 for vocals because it has a very 'punchy' aggressive sound. You have to sing directly into it though, you can't go a bit off to the side like you can with vocal mics. You also have to get your mouth RIGHT up to it; you can't be too far back, or it will produce a very weak sound.

Matt Harvey from Exhumed uses a SM57 for live vocals, and it sounds fucking awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompelledToLacerate
God, the Japanese are so weird. This HAS to be the long term effects of the atom bombs. No one is that weird on purpose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomli
The slams in that song always kill me. First time I heard that song I was like "Too much heaviness - brain collapse" but now I could murder my family to that one

Old 2011-06-06, 22:41
mikeeasley
New Blood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz906
These things get really good reviews. They are specifically designed for mic'ing cabinets.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.co...hone?sku=276668

I've used some of them before. Now I hope I can buy the other ones with better review.