Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording
User Name
Password

Old 2007-03-14, 19:33
Post-whore

SS-140C Ampeg

well i bought my SS-140C with a BFI...... and im

disappointed. it does not have nearly as much gain as i thought it would have and even with mids scooped, it sounds like it has mids on six. if anyone has anything to help me that would be great. I tried smackin the top of it, as some people say that that helps the problem, but it didn't work. What could be wrong with the amp. THe guy that i bought it from did something where he did something with the FX Loop. Soeru knows what he did.
But im pretty sure he didn't do anything else with it. So yah, help me out
Old 2007-03-14, 20:52
Post-whore

The hell, are you using the high gain input? Are both guitar inputs functional? I can think of half a dozen problems an SS-140 could have, but lack of gain aint one of them! Don't scoop your mids. Keep everything at 12 o clock and tweak from there.

Btw did you buy the blue line SS's or the all-black ones?

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)
Old 2007-03-14, 21:06
Post-whore

my SS is this exact oneSS-140C

my guitar is an EMG-81 so the wood don't matter, it is in the high output channel but the guy did say he did handiwork on it so it might be switched. ill try that

how dare you tell me what to do with my mids!

if i wanted Gorguts: EoS or CD, i should have it scooped right?
Old 2007-03-14, 21:22
Post-whore

it is very sterile and kinda seethrough if you know what i mean.
It just doesn't have enough bite or heaviness at all.
Old 2007-03-14, 23:56
Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to Josh
Try it with a different cabinet and see if it helps any. If not...take it to someone who knows what theyre doing to check it out. These things are old, and have numerous issues common to them. Like I mentioned before...me and someone else I know had the same identical Ampeg (blue early series ss-140c) and his sounded very weak and muddy compared to mine. I'm assuming there was something wrong with his, just because mine was a near mint clean one owner with the original box and everything lol.

By the way...with all the Ampeg threads popping up...maybe we should combine or resort to posting topics on solid state Ampegs in one big thread?
Old 2007-03-15, 04:30
Post-whore

Yeah the early blue line series had less gain than the modern SS's, but yours is one of the newer ones.

If you don't feel that the Ampeg has TOO MUCH gain then you can bet your ass something's wrong with it! I have no clue how much it would cost to repair that, that is if it even needs a repair.

And no, don't scoop your mids to 0, keep them in there like at 12 o clock, then boost your bass and treble from there too but don't cut those mids.

You ARE using the high gain input right? Not the low gain input with the gain maxed?! Have you tried both inputs?

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)
Old 2007-03-15, 05:44
Senior Metalhead

First thing I would do with any used amp is clean the pots, its amazing how much difference it can make. Dirty pots affect the range + engagement of the particular knob. Also clean out all the input jacks and the FX loop jacks.

Engl Fireball
MIJ '84 Greco LP Custom (looking for BKP Nailbomb)
Custom Stratocaster/BKP Sinner
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Framus 2x12
ISP Decimator
Line6 Echo Park
Applause AE128 E/A

www.myspace.com/cathisord - Dark Metal Project
Old 2007-03-15, 06:25
Post-whore

Yeah definitely, but even with non fully functional pots he should still get assloads of gain out of it! I'm almost certain he's using the wrong input jack for the clean channel, use the B channel!.

Old 2007-03-15, 10:52
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeru
Yeah definitely, but even with non fully functional pots he should still get assloads of gain out of it! I'm almost certain he's using the wrong input jack for the clean channel, use the B channel!.

Edit: i don't really get what you mean by this. im plugged in high input jack on A channel. B chanell?!?!?! my ampeg's distortion is on the A channel! there are only two inputs labeled high and low. I plug into high and with gain at FULL! it gives me this shitty MG tone

How do you clean pots? like where are they in the head? easy to reach?
Old 2007-03-15, 10:58
Senior Metalhead

^ B is the clean channel ...

the best and only decent A setting i've been able to find on mine is
low: 5
mid: 8-10
high: 5
with the mids scooped it just sounds like metalzone fizz.

in that setting it's kind of like mellowed out tube overdrive. but yeah, the tone does suck.

i've tried running it preamp out into my computer then through modelling software. i'll post some clips of this scenario later tonight so you guys can hear for yourselves.
Old 2007-03-15, 13:10
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOAMdude
How do you clean pots? like where are they in the head? easy to reach?

You know what, I don't really know , I guess its just all the wiring/shafts etc behind the knobs and same on the inside. I've never actually done it myself, I always take my amps to a tech to get them cleaned up. Less chance of death that way

Engl Fireball
Framus 2x12
ISP Decimator
Line6 Echo Park
Applause AE128 E/A

Old 2007-03-15, 13:35
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorath23
You know what, I don't really know , I guess its just all the wiring/shafts etc behind the knobs and same on the inside. I've never actually done it myself, I always take my amps to a tech to get them cleaned up. Less chance of death that way

There's usually some sort of hole in the potentiometers that you can spray contact cleaner into. Spray once, rock back and forth a couple of times, then spray once more (don't skimp on it this time) to flush all the crap out.

Anyway dirty pots should not have a huge effect on gain/distortion. The main problem i have when buying used gear from around the 80's-90's is the input jack, which is usually dirty as hell (and especially if it hasn't been used in a while).

To diagnose this try moving your plug around in the jack while playing to see if you can hear a difference, and, anyway, spray the jack hole full of cleaner in all directions (bend the nozzle inside), spray the jack plug, then plug it in, take it out, rotate it around, plug in / out etc and leave the plug in the jack for an hour while the cleaner evaporates. Then do it one more time, this time more of a flush so spray plenty, then try playing it once it has dried out. Doesn't matter if you spill the cleaner all over the place or if it drips down from the jack or whatever, it dries out and leaves no trace (but it might clean affected areas so they might look different, but they're supposed to look like that).

Now if that doesn't fix it the jack might be loose, then you can bend the tip of the jack back in place to tighten it up. Works on closed jacks as well, just use a #0 flathead screwdriver or something similar to push the tip back in place through the small holes in the jack.
Old 2007-03-15, 15:14
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopop
Anyway dirty pots should not have a huge effect on gain/distortion.

In some sense thats true, the preamp itself isn't affected but if the pots aren't engaging right then it isn't interacting 100% with the gain section. I've had dirty pots that impaired the volume because it physically wasn't cranking the amp.

Engl Fireball
Framus 2x12
ISP Decimator
Line6 Echo Park
Applause AE128 E/A

Old 2007-03-16, 14:13
Post-whore

any problems that could be directly related to the preamp?
Old 2007-03-16, 14:54
Post-whore

Never heard of any preamp issues with the Ampegs, only poweramp failures on some of the VH's and minor input jack problems that might appear like they're serious but aren't.

Take it to a tech, have him check all of it out to see if there's anything burned in it or if you have a "channel switching" problem where the 2nd channel bleeds through into your other one and gives crappy tone.

Old 2007-03-16, 15:41
Post-whore

k. i emailed some tech guys that ampeg referred me too
Old 2007-03-19, 20:05
Senior Metalhead

here's a recording of my ss140c head (blue series) going direct preamp-out into GR2.

in GR2 there are no additional amps or fx, i've just got it going input to 2 cabs ... the 1960 4x12 and the chief 2x12, both mic'd on axis w dynamic 57.

this should give you an accurate representation of the tone of this amp. i didn't record it coming out of my marshall 4x12 because it sounded really bad (probably the cab and not the head).

anyways there are two mp3s zip'd. one setting is mids at 10, the other is mids scooped to 5. high and low are at 5 in both.

lmk if this sounds right.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ss140.zip (484.6 KB, 250 views)
Old 2007-03-19, 20:21
Post-whore

Hey man they sounded pretty good! I liked the mids 10 one quite a bit, that's the kind of tone I love. What is the GR2? Is it a mic pre/interface?

That's a blue line series? Has a lot more gain than what I thought it would compared to the all black SS's. Awesome!

Old 2007-03-19, 20:35
Senior Metalhead

gr2 = guitar rig 2 ... the NI modeling software. when i recorded the head direct without a simulated cab, it just sounded like fizz. but yea i tried to keep it as pure as possible.
Old 2007-03-20, 04:36
Post-whore

Did you use the XLR outs when recording direct? Or did you use one of the 1/4"? It's possible that the XLR and 1/4" on old equipment may not put out a balanced, record-friendly signal, these days the direct outs on amps and stuff are much much better designed and give you less fizz...

And yeah you need cab simulation to kill some of that fizzy highend when going direct, that's what a real cab does to your tone, round it out a bit and make it more pleasing to the ear..