MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > MetalTabs.com > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Old 2010-12-11, 09:08
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

Because you're using a standard definition TV your laptop resolution will be pretty low. It depends on the TV but you're probably talking 640x480, which is gonna make movies look like shit. They'll be watchable for sure, but you should be prepared to accept a noticeable downgrade in quality.

This is an S-Video input port:

http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/7319/svideo.jpg

If your TV has one of those that'll be your best bet, quality wise, compared to some other more primitive connections. You can buy cables which will input to S-Video and output from pretty much anything, such as S-Video Out, VGA, DVI or whatever. You can also buy separate adapters for the ends of the cables if you find you've bought the wrong one.

This laptop has a VGA output port:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16834220744

You can buy a VGA to S-Video cable, and that should do the job. You can get cables which have the audio component cables included on them, usually as three separate coloured connectors (red, white and yellow). Even an S-Video RCA cable, which is an old standard, will suffice if you're using a SDTV. If your TV is quite old you'll most likely have to go with the RCA cable anyway. If you have the instruction manual for the TV handy it should give you the specifications in the back, including the kinds of connections its capable of making.

I'm somewhat new to this stuff myself, so I'll play it safe and refer you to a few websites which are more specific:

http://www.plugpctotv.com/ [This site lets you select the various connections you'll be using and will advise you on which cable you'll need]
http://www.ehow.com/how_5416806_con...ideo-cable.html
http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...to-TV-%28RCA%29

It might be easier investing in a DivX or similarly capable DVD player, preferably one with USB input so you can hook up an external Hard Drive (assuming the movies you wanna watch are downloaded .avi files). You can get these kinds of devices in the UK for as low as £35!

You can also buy dedicated devices which do little else but play media files through your TV, and some even let you browse YouTube and the like. Examples:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...20Hard%20Drives

Get one of those for your movies, buy a handheld poker game and spend the other $350 on a medium-quality hooker.
Old 2010-12-18, 08:24
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

Is anyone here familiar with ink jet printers? I'm having a problem with mine and Shmoogle hasn't really helped a whole lot.

Every time I print something there's a black skid mark running vertically along the page. It's looks a little like a column of fuzzy/blurry exclamation marks. Example:

http://hosting01.hotchyx.com/adult-...y-sweet-pic.png

I've ran pretty much every maintenance and cleaning cycle the printer has and nothing seems to have worked. It's been doing this for about 6 months. What the fuckery is going on and how do I stop it?

Cheers muchly.

EDIT: [snip] spoke too soon.

Last edited by Paddy : 2010-12-19 at 23:40.
Old 2010-12-21, 04:37
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
Is anyone here familiar with ink jet printers? I'm having a problem with mine and Shmoogle hasn't really helped a whole lot.

Every time I print something there's a black skid mark running vertically along the page. It's looks a little like a column of fuzzy/blurry exclamation marks. Example:

http://hosting01.hotchyx.com/adult-...y-sweet-pic.png

I've ran pretty much every maintenance and cleaning cycle the printer has and nothing seems to have worked. It's been doing this for about 6 months. What the fuckery is going on and how do I stop it?

Cheers muchly.

EDIT: [snip] spoke too soon.

Time for a new ink cartridge.
Old 2010-12-21, 09:24
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

I do need new ink so hopefully that'll solve the problem. Cheers duder.
Old 2010-12-21, 09:56
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

Send a message via AIM to Dyldo Send a message via MSN to Dyldo
I'd say new ink, too.

On that note, why are ink cartridges so fucking expensive? Christ. And what's the deal with airplane food?!
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so ronrey
Old 2010-12-21, 10:25
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

Haha you should definitely put that ink bit into your stand-up routine. And then set fire to it.

When you are in the market for a new printer you should always check the ink it uses and see how much it costs, and factor that into your decision about which printer to buy. I have a Canon IP4500, and the ink prices are reasonable enough. The printer uses 5 separate cartridges, and they range from about £8 to £10 each. I just replace the ones which need replacing at any given time, rather than buying 5-packs (which are actually more expensive than 5 separate cartridges, at least they are on Amazon.co.uk). It's somewhat more hassle because it means you need to make separate orders at different times as and when needed, but it works out cheaper. And Christ knows your family knows the meaning of the word cheap.
Old 2010-12-21, 10:50
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

Well I have a Canon XPS4000^2 and it doesn't even need ink cartridges. It just runs off the blood of Jew babies. Every few months I have to either go down to the local Synagogue (boy is that place a riot, tell you what!) and collect the draining blood from the daily brisk, or, I have to go down to the hospital, swipe a Jew baby, and just drain its blood into a chalice that I then pour into the printer's blood bowl. Its a bit of a hassle, but I'll be fucking damned, DAMNED, if I have to pay $20 for some mother fucking black ink. Fuck.
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so ronrey
Old 2010-12-21, 12:37
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

When I need black ink I just get Chris to cum into a bottle and ship it to me.
Old 2011-01-03, 08:38
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

Is anyone here a self-taught programmer? If so, how did you cut your teeth? I've attempted to get into this shit at least twice a year since I was a kid but the long-winded tutorial sites and vague YouTube videos always leave me scratching my head and feeling disheartened/overwhelmed. I think if I could get to the point where I could cobble together a basic program (something more than "hello world!" but not quite AutoCAD) my interest would be piqued enough to keep me grinding forwards, but getting to that stage seems to be beyond my mental capacity.
Old 2011-01-03, 09:19
Post-whore

Quote:
Is anyone here a self-taught programmer? If so, how did you cut your teeth? I've attempted to get into this shit at least twice a year since I was a kid but the long-winded tutorial sites and vague YouTube videos always leave me scratching my head and feeling disheartened/overwhelmed. I think if I could get to the point where I could cobble together a basic program (something more than "hello world!" but not quite AutoCAD) my interest would be piqued enough to keep me grinding forwards, but getting to that stage seems to be beyond my mental capacity.

Visual Basic is where I would start if I was beginning all over again. I'd get a book On Visual Basic and use the express editions by Microsoft to work with it.

Really to get past all the "learning imo bullshit" programs you gotta run through the book, understand the material, and then set a goal for a program you would like to make. The program should be something useful to your self, or a program thats already out with additions you would like to add to it(Make that whole program plus the addon's).

There's alot more to it than just learning that one language as well. Each operating system has its own set of API's which you will learn for big projects. GOOGLE is your friend when it comes to programming lots of material well explained on some pages and others not.

Visual Basic is easy and simple to a certain extent. It takes some hardwork and dedication at first man, you'll get use to it. Don't try to understand everything at first to this day I still don't understand some concepts(Recursion took me awhile to get down in code not in theory).

A book with code examples man can help you out more than you'll ever know and online resources. I'd go to Amazon.com and read reviews on books and see which one offers the best results.

Visual Basics is a great start but by no means paddy a language to stay with. After a period of time of writing great things in VB learn Java, C, C++, C#.

Also, DO NOT SKIP OVER INFORMATION IN THE BOOK. Drill your self through each chapter, get a book that lets you write examples at the end and also supplies source code for you to look at.

Visual Basics is a Windows dependent platform only(The Integrated Development Environment is only for windows). The other programming languages I mentioned are cross platform and will work on Linux and Mac(not sure about C# on Mac though.)

You may have to look this up for your self but I think Delphi is cross platform as well and is a close but more powerful relative to Visual Basic. The Delphi Integrated development environment from what we could check out here at work last time only had a trail version and not a free or student version like the express editions that Microsoft Offers.

I have some nice ebooks on an older version of Visual Basic it's for the 6.0 version. However there have been 2003,2005, 2008, and 2010 released since VB6.0 back in 1998(It may have even been released before then). I can supply you with links and such if you would like in an PM that could lead you in the direction you want to go.

The main thing to concentrate on is not setting to high of goals. Basic text editors and such are nothing to be ashamed of in making, basic Server Client connection that sends nothing buy "HEY" to a label on the Server is nothing to be ashamed of. Keep all code you create as well you never know when you'll understand something one day and then 5 months from now need that code can't find it and have to re-struggle to understand the concept again. COMMENT your code like crazy at first too it gives you a better grasp of where you stand.

Earlier in this post I stated Google was your friend however it can be your worst enemy. Outdated material riddles the internet as well. Use legit forums and websites. Before asking questions check out the dates people have posted stuff, and how fast the replies they received if it seems they get zero replies or the post are really outdated more and likely that forum has died.

I love getting information from books, but I have to put that information to work quickly to get a grasp on it.

Ones you learn one language, the rest are easier to grasp because the same concepts are there, but one language can have more limited power and speed than the other.

So let me stop ranting and if you would like me to supply any information to you I'm around, I'm currently working on a project for work now. A language I've never even used, A database language I've never even used, on a platform I'm currently getting very comfortable with "Linux", soon to be the only operating system I use. All is going well thanks to forum post, and a book I pirated online because the book that was supplied to me was out of date. Ebooks are nice and all but a real book you can hold in your hand and highlight and read in any comfy chair in your home are the best to me anyway.
Old 2011-01-03, 09:48
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

I've got a huge C++ book if you want it, Pads. I was interested in programming when I was, like, 13, but then decided to not be a mouth-breathing neckbeard.
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so ronrey
Old 2011-01-03, 10:18
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyldo
I've got a huge C++ book if you want it, Pads. I was interested in programming when I was, like, 13, but then decided to not be a mouth-breathing neckbeard.

For Microsoft Visual C++ or Non-MS C++ book , like for GNU cc? The latter would be very outdated by now, I find Linux books are very withstanding.

Last edited by Pr0az : 2011-01-03 at 10:22.
Old 2011-01-03, 10:58
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

Microsoft C++
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so ronrey
Old 2011-01-03, 11:05
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyldo
Microsoft C++

I'm not sure how old you arenow but I assume you're in your 20's? Name of book and edition?

Asking these questions merely on behalf of paddy so see if its worthwhile.
Old 2011-01-03, 12:10
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

23. I'll check when I get home tonight.
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so ronrey
Old 2011-01-03, 15:36
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

Send a message via ICQ to L,B'XXX Send a message via AIM to L,B'XXX Send a message via Yahoo to L,B'XXX
I have one here, too. I'll check on the details. It's almost as big as my Bible. I'd say it's from about 2000, give or take a couple years.

-wally: Mom, you shouldn't play after me because it makes you sound even worse than you already do. -wally:*grumbles and whispers quietly* I guess it's cuz I love you or something, but you're still a TURD
Grimm:I could read your mind but its in font size .5
Amadeus:Oh, and was there a cesserole (never mind spelling) involved?
Paddy:the fact that you didn't end up on a kids show makes me question my atheism
Dyldo: You evil strumpet!
Old 2011-01-03, 23:08
Quantum.

Quote:

Use this, learn high level language programming or hand back your brain to the manufacturer.
http://www.python.org/download/
http://www.swaroopch.com/notes/Python

Love the path of the object oriented programming.

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

"Imagination is more important than intelligence" - Einstein
Old 2011-01-04, 09:50
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

Shit, cheers to my main men Pr0az (KEL!) and The Dylanator. I'll have a read through all of this stuff in due course. Dylan, don't worry about the book man, you've done enough for me over the years. If I know what I'm looking for I'll get one myself, perhaps from the liburry.

Amadeus, the warranty on my brain was rendered invalid when I tried to install a second language into it Matrix-style with a screwdriver and a melted-down Rosetta Stone disc I'll have a looksie at Python and see what the crack is.

Fanx lads.
Old 2011-01-14, 07:07
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

In response to Pr0az's post in the Movies thread:

You need to subscribe to a Usenet server and then find a website which indexes files on the sever, and you download .NZB files from there and load them into a Usenet client. I highly recommend the following:

Server: Usenet Server [http://www.usenetserver.com/]
Client: Alt.binz [http://www.altbinz.net/index.php?page=downloadz]

The server is one of the cheapest but I've been using it for several years and it's worked perfectly the entire time; I always get full download speeds and rarely have any connection issues.

The NZBMatrix website is practically free - you just pay a one-off fee of £2 or whatever the equivalent is in your currency and you get a lifetime membership. Newzbin.com is the most popular website, but it requires a monthly subscription and to be honest it doesn't have as many files as NZBMatrix. You're really only paying of special website functionality which you probably won't use anyway.

The Alt.binz client is free, but the last free version is a few years old. It works perfectly though. There are other clients which aren't free but finding a cracked version of them which doesn't contain a trojan is tricky and not worth the effort - Alt.binz rules.

Before signing up you should acquaint yourself with the concepts of Usenet, because if you're coming to it fresh from P2P it's a bit unusual. Here's a quick run down of how it works:

Someone uploads files onto Usenet. Your server provides you with access to those files. If you want to download them easily, however, you need to use an indexing site like NZBMatrix, which is like a search engine for the files which reside on the server (it's the same as your ISP giving you access to the internet and Google helping you find the sites you want). These sites package the files and arrange them in an intuitive way (most files are segmented using WinRAR, and the indexing sites gather all of the separate parts into one place for you, etc.). You can download the entire package's .NZB file or chose specific files to download from within the package. The .NZB file is usually quite small (it's like using BitTorrent in that respect) and then you load these into your client. The client goes through your Usenet server account and downloads the files for you. There's no uploading or seed ratios involved.

Another aspect of Usenet you won't have encountered with P2P is the need to repair corrupted archives and files. This is done using a program called QuickPar. When you download lots of segmented archives for a movie there are also PAR2 files included - these are the recovery volumes used by QuickPar. You usually don't need these, but sometimes you do (I don't download them until I'm sure I need them, saving myself plenty of bandwidth). If you find that you get errors when extracting an archive run the included PAR2 file which will then start QuickPar, which then checks each volume for corruption. If it finds any it'll use the larger PAR2 files to repair them. Click here for a more detailed overview of how this shit works.

All of this sounds like a lot of hard work, but trust me it's pretty easy once you get the concepts down and it makes being a pirating cunt so fucking easy/safe.

So, you'll need:

A Usenet server [UsenetServer.com]
An indexing site [NZBMatrix.com]
A Usenet client [Alt.binz]
QuickPar [Quickpar.org.uk]
WinRAR or similar
HJSplit for joining files WinRAR can't [HJSplit.org]

Further reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet
http://www.faqs.org/usenet/

Last edited by Paddy : 2011-01-18 at 08:28. Reason: Fixed wonky URLs.
Old 2011-01-20, 21:11
Quantum.

Say, anyone here familiar with wordpress, specifically working with it as a CMS? My software on one of the sites I'm running is acting up and basically doesn't want to auto-install anything; updates, themes, anything. And the WP support forum isn't as informative as it usually is. So, anyone has anything clever to say on this, go right ahead!

Just a side note, yes, I have spent quite some time checking through the databases to see if there's anything broken. Zero, zip, nada, so far.

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

"Imagination is more important than intelligence" - Einstein