MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone

Old 2010-11-12, 14:24
Cerberrus
New Blood

Question on Speedloader strings WTF!

First ... my situation:

k, so... like 5 ages ago, when i was like 17. I was one of those naive kids who got 'Aw struck' by the bodies of B.C. Rich guitars. So I bought one. These days, not being a B.C. Rich fan, I still say this is a well made guitar, (was an NJ series). So i don't want to get rid of it. Plus has a really nice finish. Unfortunately, it had the floyd rose speedloader. For those of you who don't know of this bridge set up, it renders the guitar tuner peg-less. Where there are no tuner pegs at the headstock, and there are bolts (they look like thin bullets) at both the bridge and the nut that lock in and are built on an exact string length. Takes literally 1 min to restring. then you use an allan key to tune. Where it seemed to be a cool idea at the time. The fact that it never caught on as a big thing, ended up that the strings that floyd rose had Dean Markley make for the speedloaders were discontinued this year. I don't know what to do now.

Having someone drill holes into the headstock to put in tuning pegs ... isn't really that appealing to me, as i don't want to have the finish start to crack and chip away. Also, i would now have to buy a new nut, and new bridge (i might be able to get away with keeping the bullet bridge and use the ball end of the string inside to keep it there).

This is where the question comes in. Does anyone have either... suggestions, or know of another company that will still sell strings that will work with this set up. or what? it was an $1100 (canadian) at the time. I don't want to have to try to sell it, cause i 1) still don't mind having more guitars for additional tunings and 2) i'd barely be able to sell it for a 1/4 of that price.

Suggestions/knowledge is much appreciated. Thanks

Old 2010-11-12, 16:33
Gomli
ComeOutYeBlackAndTans!

Ever checked Steinberg? I think they used similar strings on their guitars since they`re headless.

Edit: found that site
http://adirondackguitar.com/shipping.htm
dudes shipping to Canada too

R.I.P moe

Old 2010-11-19, 15:42
Cerberrus
New Blood

yeah, i looked at the strings. both have the balls on the ends. could work. but i couldn't only find the strings like that in .009's and .010's ... which blew balllz cause i want .011's for 1. and secondly, i would have to see if they wouldn't move in the slots, cause it's like a bullet capsule from the floyd strings.

ON THAT NOTE! i got an email back from Floyd Rose, they said they've discontinued the strings through Dean Markley and will be having a new distributor for them in the new year. they just needed to switch companies.