Password

Old 2011-01-21, 05:06
ComeOutYeBlackAndTans!

Cherry tomatoes, rucola, balsamic cream and chicken breast. yummy

R.I.P moe
Old 2011-01-21, 16:15
Vaginal Warts

Send a message via AIM to JoeYngVai
Vegetable Masala Burger Patty, British Muffins (toasted with Havarti cheese on top), and Ketchup. My own little creation. I liked it.

Blackwater (Friend's Metal Band)
MY WEBSITE!

R.I.P Paddy. My dear and loving father will never be forgotten.
Old 2011-01-24, 04:11
ComeOutYeBlackAndTans!

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/586/essenqm.jpg

omg I can cook small things too. Simple but tasty

R.I.P moe
Old 2011-01-24, 06:11
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

Send a message via ICQ to L,B'XXX Send a message via AIM to L,B'XXX Send a message via Yahoo to L,B'XXX
Is that salmon on a latke? It does look good. The red stuff on top looks a little raw, but the concept is intriguing.

I <3 my antique cast iron pans. Griswold rocks!

-wally: Mom, you shouldn't play after me because it makes you sound even worse than you already do. -wally:*grumbles and whispers quietly* I guess it's cuz I love you or something, but you're still a TURD
Grimm:I could read your mind but its in font size .5
Amadeus:Oh, and was there a cesserole (never mind spelling) involved?
Paddy:the fact that you didn't end up on a kids show makes me question my atheism
Dyldo: You evil strumpet!
Old 2011-01-24, 06:29
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by L,B'XXX
I <3 my antique cast iron pans. Griswold rocks!
All the better for battering your husband with?
Old 2011-01-24, 06:34
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

Send a message via ICQ to L,B'XXX Send a message via AIM to L,B'XXX Send a message via Yahoo to L,B'XXX
That would be my newer one that my grandfather got me for a wedding present over 30 years ago when hubby and I got married the first time. That was just what he told me, too. It's a number 11 cast iron, but I don't remember the make right now.

-wally: Mom, you shouldn't play after me because it makes you sound even worse than you already do. -wally:*grumbles and whispers quietly* I guess it's cuz I love you or something, but you're still a TURD
Paddy:the fact that you didn't end up on a kids show makes me question my atheism
Old 2011-01-24, 07:07
Post-whore

Quote:
That would be my newer one that my grandfather got me for a wedding present over 30 years ago when hubby and I got married the first time. That was just what he told me, too. It's a number 11 cast iron, but I don't remember the make right now.

I remember this older women whom lived across the street from us. She would put her cast iron pots into a small burning wood fire, any idea what that did for her?
Old 2011-01-24, 08:01
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

Maybe she used them for pee pots and was sterilizing them? I wouldn't think that would season them because the grease would burn. I'm assuming you mean they were empty?

Old 2011-01-24, 08:59
Post-whore

Quote:
Maybe she used them for pee pots and was sterilizing them? I wouldn't think that would season them because the grease would burn. I'm assuming you mean they were empty?

Yes she would put the pot in the fire, as if she were burning the pot.
Old 2011-01-24, 09:12
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

I did a little investigating and the only thing I came up with is to remove build up of cooked on stuff. It says to do it over medium flame, which would be a gas stove, I'm thinking, but the same would happen over an outdoor fire. It turns the build up to ash and makes it easy to clean.
That's basically what my self cleaning oven does. It gets up to about 700 degrees and turns burnt on stuff to ash so it can just be wiped out once it cools.
Makes sense to me. She must have been cleaning it.

Old 2011-01-24, 09:42
ComeOutYeBlackAndTans!

Quote:
Is that salmon on a latke?

Salmon on creme fraiche on a half of my self invented pizza bun.

R.I.P moe
Old 2011-01-24, 09:47
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

Hmm, it does look tasty.

Old 2011-01-25, 01:01
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

LB is correct. You clean a cast-iron by heating it up and scraping off the caked on nonsense. You season it by coating the cooking surface in salt and heating it up and scraping off the caked on nonsense. You do not wash it, ever. If you wash a cast-iron (or a non-stick, for that matter), then you are most assuredly an asshole. You only need to season it after the initial seasoning if you've done something stupid, like wash it.

For the record, you clean a non-stick by wiping it out with a paper towel. Unless you used it wrong and it's too dirty for that, because you're apparently an asshole.

Which is why a non-stick, or a cast-iron, is a specialized tool and not for everyday use.
Old 2011-01-25, 05:54
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

haha Did you just read my pussy cat remark to Tranny?

And then the fight started..... So PST, what did our forefathers use for cooking on a daily basis that we shouldn't use on a daily basis? And how on earth can you season something that rusts with salt? You can clean a seasoned pan with salt by using it for a scouring powder. You season the cast iron with grease or oil, edible, not 10W30 Pennzoil, and heat it in a slow oven so it gets absorbed into the pores of the iron, forming a glaze. Normally I don't wash mine, but I do put it into some soapy water if there's goobers on it somewhere. I never EVER put soap directly on it or put it into a dishwasher. Those are beating offenses. Same as my antique wooden breadboard.

Another idea I'd never heard about cast iron was it shouldn't be used on glasstop stoves. I guess since I don't slide pans on mine, and there's nothing in my books that came with my stove I'm not going to worry about it. I don't put pans of extreme temps on or in my oven anyways. What's your opinion on that, PST?

Old 2011-01-25, 21:06
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

I'm not a big user of glass top stoves, but they certainly don't seem like they'd be good for use with a cast-iron, what with the lack of direct heat and all.

Our forefathers used to scrape grime off their teeth with salt or sand on a daily basis. They are experts on nothing. That said, I'll admit that a cast-iron is probably the most useful searing pan imaginable and the best pan out there for cooking fish, especially skin-on fish. But they're not nearly as multi-use as stainless steel, and are downright shitty for certain tasks.

I'd still use the same heat-up-and-scrape-off method for when you get goobers on the pan; every restaurant that's worth a damn that I've been inside the kitchen of does the same (admittedly, they can generate more heat than you can). You're not doing it any favors by washing it at all.
Old 2011-01-26, 05:30
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

Yeah, that's true. Not all of their methods were that great, but they did what they had to do or were taught.
I was working at a hotel restaurant one Sunday morning and waffles were on their menu. We had a couple cast iron waffle griddles. The cook sprayed one with cooking oil only to find out all too late she'd picked up the oven cleaner instead. That was awful! lol It took forever to get the smell out of the griddle so it could be used, and it took all the seasoning off.

I rarely turn my stove caps on the highest heat so I don't have to deal with some of the issues that are associated with that. I have a heavy bottomed stainless pan as well as some heavy aluminum, plus some good ole vintage Revere I like.

Last edited by L,B'XXX : 2011-01-26 at 05:33.
Old 2011-03-01, 19:06
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

I'm not a huge fan of aluminum (though I have to admit that, for most home uses, they are perfectly adequate; I just feel like you're cutting yourself off from a lot of potential technique with one), but stainless is a good home-use all-purpose pan. It's also the typical wide-usage pan for most restaurants. I WONDER WHY.

A waffle iron is tricky even treated properly (one place I worked that served banging chicken and waffles only let one of the dishwashers deal with waffles, because nobody else could work it so consistently), so that really must've been a bitch. Just make pancakes.
Old 2011-03-02, 03:54
Too _____, wouldn't fuck

There actually is a place that serves chicken and waffles? Please tell me its fried chicken. This is an urban legend come true for me.

NEGROGENESIS

Old 2011-03-02, 06:04
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to DameFraMorkum Send a message via MSN to DameFraMorkum
Quote:
Originally Posted by drawn&quartered
There actually is a place that serves chicken and waffles? Please tell me its fried chicken. This is an urban legend come true for me.

Yeah chicken and waffles is staple comfort food for the south. Especially for black people! If you live anywhere near NYC, go to Harlem. Walk 2 blocks anywhere. Eat chicken and waffles.

Personally I think that sounds like a terrible combination but I've never tried it.
Old 2011-03-02, 06:30
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

My mom said that during the late Depression my grandparents would have chicken and waffles. It's just like chicken and biscuits only over waffles instead. She HATES even the thought of it now. It was a once a week dish for them. For a long time she wouldn't eat pancakes because they ate them so often in her younger years. Grosser than that? My neighbors used to have plain popcorn with sugar and milk every Sunday night for supper. I tried it once. Not happening again.

I worked with a so-called head cook for awhile that used steam table pans on the gas burners. That used to drive me and the other real cook nuts.