MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording
User Name
Password

Old 2009-12-03, 00:07
Post-whore

First tube amp

I'm about to start touring and being in a "real band" I figure my Line 6 isn't pro enough, so I am looking for an affordable mean sounding tube amp.

I was thinking of a Carvin V3. Affordable and USA made. Yay or nay???

I want to get into tube territory, don't have mesa money and I'm afraid to try Bugera. Seem pretty brutal. Suicide Silence uses the V3. Shitty band, but it's a heavy guitar tone...so I know it can do what I want.....unless they are running some shit into it.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/produc...php?product=V3L

I know nothing about tube amps, so helping me pick a good one would be appreciated

Old 2009-12-03, 02:57
Post-whore

Send a message via MSN to the_bleeding
Hvaent tried the v3, and i dont know many people who have. Thtas the problem with carvin because they dont have suppliers, they just ship directly.

All that aside, whats your budget, and do you have any examples of what you want?

You can get heavy tones out of many, many things . For example, i'm running a homebuilt sunn model t clone (its like a darker, bassier fender tweed bassman) with a muff style fuzz up front and it is crushingly heavy.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!
Old 2009-12-03, 04:22
Post-whore

Thanks for helping. Budget wise, I wanna stay in the three figures. I'm still looking for a job, so I may end up touring a bit with the line 6! Oh well... As far as examples of what I want, I play in a melodic death metal (borderline deathcore) band...but we have a lot of oldschool influences. I know a lot of my favorite suffocation, cryptopsy and Cannibal Corpse tones were created with SS amps back in the day, but I want to see what all this tube talk is about. I recorded my EP on a dual rec, and honestly at first I didn't get why everyone was harping on SS amps. I still don't think the improvement is worth that much money, which is why I am opting out on expensive mesa heads.

Old 2009-12-06, 17:58
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7-string warlord
Thanks for helping. Budget wise, I wanna stay in the three figures. I'm still looking for a job, so I may end up touring a bit with the line 6! Oh well... As far as examples of what I want, I play in a melodic death metal (borderline deathcore) band...but we have a lot of oldschool influences. I know a lot of my favorite suffocation, cryptopsy and Cannibal Corpse tones were created with SS amps back in the day, but I want to see what all this tube talk is about. I recorded my EP on a dual rec, and honestly at first I didn't get why everyone was harping on SS amps. I still don't think the improvement is worth that much money, which is why I am opting out on expensive mesa heads.

mesa's take a year to learn how to use, if you dont have friends telling you how. And even then, the only way to make them sound good is if they sound like everybody else.

That being said, 3 figures, go used peavey 6505/5150 whatever. If you absolutely need a clean channel, get the 6505+ or 5150II. They are the exact same amp, different label. People say theres a difference, they are straight up lying. Peavey had to change the name of the amp when Eddie Van Halen decided to end their contract. Dont get a new amp, new amps are a lose/lose situation - used amps however you manage to maintain the money you've spent if you decide to resell.

With htis amp, you can get into major brutal territory. http://www.myspace.com/splatterhouse is an example.

Run a boss hm-2 into one, and you'll sound liek Dismember or Bloodbath or Entombed.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!
Old 2009-12-06, 19:30
Post-whore

yeah 5150 is a cool choice. That's what some bands I like use. That's why I started to go with Bugera because they have a clone. But a used peavey would be better. My only concern is running a pedal. I dunno. Doesn't seem like you have the right amp if you need a pedal too. I just want to be taken seriously as a guitarist, people see my line 6 and laugh.

Old 2009-12-07, 14:29
Post-whore

lots of people use pedals. Nothin wrong with it. into my marshall i have a tubescreamer and an EQ and it sounds brootz.
Dismember and bloodbath both used hm-2 pedals for their sound. Cannibal corpse uses an mt-2 into a triple rectifier.

Its all about makin your own sound, and pedals change the palette. If i were you, i'd start with a 5150 and an eq to boost the low mids in the fx loop. 5150's are awesome by themselves, but an eq in the loop lets you accentuate the bits you like the most. Go to a Guitar Centre, ask for a guitar with an emg 85 in the bridge (if you can find one), and plug into a 5150. Keep the gain, presence, and treble around noon. You will probably everything except hte top end buzz - which can be removed with an eq pedal.
Old 2009-12-07, 17:17
Post-whore

Does the 85 in the bridge really kick that much ass? I think I might switch mine next time I change strings! I'll probably pick up a 6505, almost the same price as a carvin. My drummer has a boss metalzone he will let me have. I don't know how good that pedal is though, I've always been kinda anti-pedals.

Old 2009-12-08, 18:05
Post-whore

Quote:
Does the 85 in the bridge really kick that much ass? I think I might switch mine next time I change strings! I'll probably pick up a 6505, almost the same price as a carvin. My drummer has a boss metalzone he will let me have. I don't know how good that pedal is though, I've always been kinda anti-pedals.

well the 5150 is a pretty bright amp, and the emg81 is a horribly bright pickup. The 85 will smooth it out tons. My fav tone is an Bareknuckle Warpig into a 5150, but theyre expensive. youtube bareknuckle warpig and you'll find a video. You'll also find a video of me playin my bluebeard through my marshall hahaha.

Now as for using the mt-2 with the 5150. Keep it on the crunch channel, put the gain on the amp between noon and 3 oclock, eq to preference.
Then with the mt-2, keep the gain as low as it goes, the eq's all at noon, and the volume at 3 oclock. Tweak eq to preference. Thats how i'd do it.

Although, right now, i'm having too much fun boosting my amp with a boss dd6. I set the mode to the shortest delay, put delay time at minimum, feedback at minimum, and volume to full. Experiment with stuff. You never know, you might just like the 5150 on its own.
Old 2009-12-08, 18:28
Post-whore

Send a message via MSN to Wolfsherz
You have the cutest bunny

Aosoth - New album III out now on Agonia Recs
Epoch - bass, guitars, drums, MetaStasizing out asap
Asphixa - bass, demo out asap
Adustum - bass, guitars, full length out soon on XXXXXXXXXX recs

Quote:
Originally Posted by far_beyond_sane
Tetianblood? ... Well, 'Necrosemen' to you too. Twat.

Last edited by Wolfsherz : 2009-12-08 at 18:38.
Old 2009-12-08, 23:16
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfsherz
You have the cutest bunny

Old 2009-12-09, 05:09
Post-whore

hahahahha found my youtube channel have we? XD
Old 2009-12-10, 09:39
Senior Metalhead

Just make sure you run an NS-2 with the 6505. And I wholeheartedly agree buying one used. Especially if you can score a bias modded one. They sound good without being modded but the mod adds that little extra IMO.

@the_bleeding Do you know exactly what Splatterhouse uses gear-wise? I fucking love them.
Old 2009-12-10, 14:17
Post-whore

not exactly, but i lurk their myspace every once in a while and i always see 5150's and crate blue voodoos.
Old 2009-12-10, 17:27
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
not exactly, but i lurk their myspace every once in a while and i always see 5150's and crate blue voodoos.

Cool man thanks. You have good taste in music.
Old 2009-12-10, 18:05
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auyard
Just make sure you run an NS-2 with the 6505. And I wholeheartedly agree buying one used. Especially if you can score a bias modded one. They sound good without being modded but the mod adds that little extra IMO.

@the_bleeding Do you know exactly what Splatterhouse uses gear-wise? I fucking love them.

Yeah man. I love my NS-2 to death! It's the only thing I really use. I have a shitload of pedals, but most of them broke because they are digitech! My NS-2 and DS-1 are beat to shit...but they still come through. BOSS are some badass dudes. Too bad I don't really like the sound of the DS-1...I might be able to use it to soup up a 5150/6505 if needed. You think that would work?

As for splatterhouse...this thread was my introduction to them. Pretty awesome shit!

Old 2009-12-10, 23:35
Post-whore

ds-1 works interestingly as a boost. Just keep the gain low and the volume high. Lots of people like them modded though.

heres a decent demo of a 5150 and 5150II unboosted, with emg's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiqTxktTEm8
Old 2009-12-11, 15:07
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
ds-1 works interestingly as a boost. Just keep the gain low and the volume high. Lots of people like them modded though.

heres a decent demo of a 5150 and 5150II unboosted, with emg's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiqTxktTEm8

Thanks for the video kind sir. I really like those amps...even un-boosted. Awesome! I'm definitely gonna shoot for any 5150 I can find, be it I or II. But then again 6505 ARE the same thing, right? So that leaves me a good amount of options. Sadly I will not be able to get a new cab for the price that I will be paying for the head.....so I am taking the behringer plate off of my cab. Honestly it sounds really good. I think it's just the sheer size of it.

Old 2009-12-11, 16:52
Post-whore

Quote:
Thanks for the video kind sir. I really like those amps...even un-boosted. Awesome! I'm definitely gonna shoot for any 5150 I can find, be it I or II. But then again 6505 ARE the same thing, right? So that leaves me a good amount of options. Sadly I will not be able to get a new cab for the price that I will be paying for the head.....so I am taking the behringer plate off of my cab. Honestly it sounds really good. I think it's just the sheer size of it.

Yessir. 6505 = 5150. 6505+ = 5150 II. They changed the name when they lost the contract with eddie van halen. Same amp, different name.

Eventually you'll wanna flip it for a new cab though. Those behringer cabs really make for a loss in tone. Eventually, i think you'd REALLY enjoy a marshall 400watt mode 4 cab - it has g12k100s, which are really metal speakers. EIther that, or a regular 1960, with 2 g12t-75s and 2v30's in an x position, also a brutal combo. Just keep it as a goal, and you'll get it eventually.
Old 2009-12-11, 17:23
Post-whore

Yeah man. I'm definitely getting a new cab, just not soon....

BUT the behringer I have is a limited edition with Jensen speakers! kinda lessens the shit factor!...but not much I guess.

Old 2009-12-11, 19:42
Post-whore

Quote:
Yeah man. I'm definitely getting a new cab, just not soon....

BUT the behringer I have is a limited edition with Jensen speakers! kinda lessens the shit factor!...but not much I guess.

want a fun project to make it sound better?

Step by step.

1. Take off the back.
2. Line all of the inner corners, and where the handles meet the wood with caulking. This will make it more air tight.
3. Replace speaker wire inside with 14 or 16 gauge wire - will make a decent difference, but probably not much because the cable that connects head to cab is probably 18 ga anyway.

it shouldnt take much time. Hell, you could even skip the wire part and it will make a tiny difference. If your cab seems to be woofing out, you can put some egg carton foam on the inner walls of the cab too. Just not on the baffle - as in the panel of wood that the speakers sit on. That thing should remain bare.