MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone

Old 2009-12-08, 22:57
7-string warlord
Post-whore

matte finish question

Is it possible to buff a matte finish on a guitar to have a glossy appearance? I noticed an area on my matte black DBZ is started to turn glossy and a lot of the edges on the contours are glossy too. I don't know if I'd like it more glossy black, I just want to know if it's a possibility.

Old 2009-12-09, 02:12
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

Wait, your matte finish has started to turn glossy in certain areas? Weird. If its already happening them I'm sure there's a way.
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Old 2009-12-09, 03:14
7-string warlord
Post-whore

well, yeah...Just a little bitty bit where I rest my arm and one the shar edges of the guitar. the body looks like it lost a fight with a CNC...so on all those edges it's kinda glossy looking.

But what I'm getting at is...well I know it has to be possible, but if I ever decided I wanted it glossy is there a safe way I could do it? or would I just have to give it a rubdown for a few years?

Old 2009-12-09, 20:02
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

I couldn't tell you a straight answer. Best to take it into a shop or just call and ask. I imagine its possible, especially if its already happening.
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Old 2009-12-09, 20:36
Wolfsherz
Post-whore

Just rub your arm all over the guitar for long periods.

Aosoth - New album III out now on Agonia Recs
Epoch - bass, guitars, drums, MetaStasizing out asap
Asphixa - bass, demo out asap
Adustum - bass, guitars, full length out soon on XXXXXXXXXX recs

Quote:
Originally Posted by far_beyond_sane
Tetianblood? ... Well, 'Necrosemen' to you too. Twat.

Old 2009-12-10, 03:35
the_bleeding
Post-whore

yes. yes it is. My buddy got one of those matte red ibanez GAX's way back in the day. He played it so much that you can almost see your reflection in the neck, and around the bridge.

Now its just really worn down.

But yeah, use something smooth. 2000 grit sandpaper or steel wool will just make it matte again.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Last edited by the_bleeding : 2009-12-10 at 03:37.

Old 2009-12-10, 04:36
7-string warlord
Post-whore

Awesome. It's nice to know I have that option...or tragic inevitability...

Old 2009-12-11, 13:48
L,B'XXX
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

If you have trouble finding high grit sandpapers I've gotten mine at automotive stores. The hardware stores around here don't have them.
As far as getting the finish glossy, if you want it that way, since you're probably putting oils on it from your skin or buffing it with your clothing pay attention to what you're doing and maybe do that. You can also check with wood refinishers and see what they say. I just snooped around online and something to check is whether it's an oil finish or poly finish. That would make a difference what you do with it, too. You might just get by with hand buffing it with a wax of some sort. Nothing that will build up, but just give it a nice glow. French hand-rubbed finish is what I saw was done on violins.
Hope that helps a little.

-wally: Mom, you shouldn't play after me because it makes you sound even worse than you already do. -wally:*grumbles and whispers quietly* I guess it's cuz I love you or something, but you're still a TURD
Grimm:I could read your mind but its in font size .5
Amadeus:Oh, and was there a cesserole (never mind spelling) involved?
Paddy:the fact that you didn't end up on a kids show makes me question my atheism
Dyldo: You evil strumpet!

Old 2009-12-28, 14:55
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

High gloss finishes are done with a cloth buffing wheel and a finishing compound, usually automotive. You wouldn't get a fine finish just using sandpaper, even the highest grit you can find.

My friend's Schecter with a black matte finish has been buffed to a gloss where his wrist rests too. You could obviously do it on the whole guitar if you really wanted to.