MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Metal > Bands

Old 2009-09-26, 16:38
Chris Rezendes
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

No New AIC thread?

WTF? This is good shit. I wasn't sure if they should continue under the AiC name after Layne murdered himself with D, but fuck, this shit is absolutely AiC. What do you filthy sausage smugglers think?

Old 2009-09-26, 17:58
Amadeus
Quantum.

Maybe a useful link or two to the unenlightened...?

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

"Imagination is more important than intelligence" - Einstein

Old 2009-09-27, 02:06
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

I've only heard the single and while it wasn't bad, I've been to afraid to check it out because I really, really, really don't want AiC to suck. I really don't.

But if you say so Chris, I'll give it a look-see.
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Old 2009-09-27, 08:54
PST 88
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

I think you're forgetting something:

Chris Rezendes is not a trustworthy source for anything, except possibly herpetological knowledge. And even then it only covers sexual encounters with particularly adventuresome snakes.

I actually wasn't aware there was a new AiC out, but I guess it doesn't surprise me that they could still be good without Layne. Awesome as he was, it was my understanding that Cantrell wrote most of everything, and he sang a fairly large amount as well, so it seems like an Alice without Layne might be more like a change of pace rather than a major change. But that's assuming the quality of the songwriting stayed in place, which is a large assumption with a band that's over 20 years old. I'll check it out maybe.

Old 2009-09-27, 09:36
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Who's the new vocalist? I'd assumed, until now, that Alice in Chains were defunct.

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn

Old 2009-09-28, 21:51
Chris Rezendes
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

I don't know, some black guy I'd never heard of before. He does a great job, though, fits the music quite well. Imagine having to fill those shoes? I'm not even sure I would try.

Old 2009-09-29, 00:44
Requiem
Post-whore

New AiC? What the fuck!? This is awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr_tyst3SVE

Old 2009-09-29, 04:04
YOUR_GOD_IS_DEAD
Post-whore

Whoaaaa....this guy can pull it off!! Wow, I am very curious to hear how the new album will sound!

Old 2009-09-29, 04:46
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

Has it been released yet or did it leak?
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Old 2009-09-29, 15:55
Pr0az
Post-whore

Came out today bro, going to the mom and pops cd store to buy the following 3 albums

New Alice In Chains
New Megadeth
New Shadows Fall

Old 2009-10-04, 20:21
Cunty Shunt
Post-whore

Still have yet to hear it. I've only heard good thing, though.

http://www.myspace.com/jimmysband

http://www.myspace.com/pyrrhicthanatologymonger

Mr. Budd on Relapse explaining LDOH's IAHC Mcd: "It sounds like an inside-out gorilla eating 50 babies a minute."

Old 2010-01-06, 10:32
Jon
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by PST 88
Cantrell...sang a fairly large amount

Yep. And I have a feeling this is why AIC still sound like AIC.

Old 2010-01-06, 19:42
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

I've had the CD sitting in my room unopened for the last 2ish months. I need to get on that.
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Old 2010-01-09, 03:44
Requiem
Post-whore

Same here, cept the 2 months is about 3 weeks.

Old 2010-01-28, 02:09
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyldo
I've had the CD sitting in my room unopened for the last 2ish months. I need to get on that.

I finally did and have been listening to it for the last week-ish and, while I wanted to sit with it for awhile before I said anything about it, I think the album has sufficiently sunk in and I've finished forming my final thoughts about it:

I'm a big AiC fan, so I was just as much apprehensive about the new album as I was excited. I knew it wasn't going to blow though because, as mentioned above, Cantrell, who still sings and did a good majority of the song writing, is still alive and well and I have good faith in his awesomeness.

First off, DuVall did a very good job filling the size 45¾ shoes that were left and he complimented Cantrell's voice pretty well while being able to contributing to AiC's haunting vocal melodies, a beloved quality that I was worried would be lost or dampened with the absence of Layne. Of course he's no Layne, but he's worthy to be with the remains.

The album itself, as in the actual song writing, production, and performance, is just 'okay'. Its definitely the weaker of their releases, but that's to be expected when a crucial element of a band is lost. It definitely has its moments, but I also can't help but feel that it occasionally suffers from that cheesy "hard-rock" vibe that I think DuVall's voice may play a part in due to how he sings and phrases certain words and melodies during specific parts. I find myself digging the Cantrell-dominated songs much more than the others. The production, or moreover the guitar tone, is a little too muddy for me. However it is mixed like a good grunge album should be with my other complaint being the bass needing more presence. While reading over this, this all kinda sounds a bit negative but I'm just being critical here because I want to feel important and smart because I'm so very special and, because my parents never gave me the attention I oh so deserve(d!), I must seek it out from the world and.. oh fuck, sorry! I must have been channeling the entire staff from Buddyhead or [place pretentious, whinny, self-aggrandizing indie magazine review staff here].

Anywho, glad to see they've collected themselves after Layne's earthly departure and are doing something productive with the remnants. While I'm not totally thrilled by the release, I'm very happy that I don't feel like they should have not done anything at all. I look forward to seeing what else they have in-store as DuVall and the band really start to build chemistry.
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Last edited by Dyldo : 2010-01-28 at 02:18.

Old 2010-02-17, 18:56
autumncurve
Post-whore

I have massive love for the new CD. DuVall does a good job with the epic choruses everyone's used to. Check my brain's been in my head since it came out. Catchy little number.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs. malicious
someone's a little behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
I'll take you from behind!

-grindcore (featuring newHELLonEARTH)- Krossa
-"Neo-Classical Heathen Folk"- Ellylldan
-experimental/middle eastern themed/folk/ambient- Soft Temple
-experimental/post rock/downtempo- Silence Over Okhotsk

Old 2010-02-26, 15:04
SuspendedByTheThroat
Senior Metalhead

I've only heard two songs off of it so far, Check My Brain and some other song, the other one was'nt that great by Check My Brain is alright.
DuVall does do an amazing job at capturing Layne's vocal style, which is awesome for the band.

Apparently they'll be playing a show down here sometime soon, as i've heard on the radio (i don't listen to the radio, but my dad does, so i get to hear the wonderful butt-rock bullshit on occasion)
and I've always been a big Alice In Chains fan, one of my favorite bands from the era.

So i might bare with the overpriced costs and deal with the shitty openers just to see Alice In Chains for once in my lifetime.