MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Drums Zone

Old 2003-03-13, 02:32
MeTalManiac555
Supreme Metalhead

Question Drum Stick question???

I was wondering.... I have a pair of those Ahead Metallica drum sticks and I saw some kit where you can buy ends and the tips for them, so does anyone know if half of the stick can unscrew or something because the part where you hold it is metal and then the other half of the stick is liek some plastic type of material and I didn't know if you can take the plastic part off? Please let me know, also what kind of other sticks should I get if I am just starting to play like what weight anda ll, and same with the heads, because I need new heads on my set and I wan't some Evan's but I don;t know what kind and liek they have 3 A and all, so please let me know. Thanks and Hail!!!!!
twilight casts spells on those who espouse their fate

ice pricks necks like knives, leaving shards of cadaverous skin
tears spout from eyes, shunned from mankind's den
(Prayer For Cleansing/ "A Dead Soal Born")

Old 2003-04-26, 06:37
kudpuscled666
New Blood

on the ahead sticks, the tips can unscrew, but u need to use a pair of plyers. u can take the plastic part off to replace it cause the plastic will crack. i recommend the ahead sticks. u should also try vater sticks. about the drum heads, evans are pretty good, but it depends on the type of music u play. i play heavy metal and death metal and i use aquarian drum heads. they are very durable. thats what i recommend for a heavy player.

Old 2003-04-26, 06:40
The Doctor
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

i dont give shit about the brand, i just use wooden 2B's, fucking cheap and unbreakable

Old 2003-04-28, 00:43
MeTalManiac555
Supreme Metalhead

Alright man, thanks a lot. My friend said something about like putting a Remo head with the liquid in them for the snare because the Evans for snares suck. But he said for the toms and all put Evans, just not the Snare. But thanks again man!

Old 2003-06-22, 16:51
Tattered
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

Aheads rule, and hey doc, since when did u have a drumkit?, and is it nice?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal=life
Hey don't talk back buddy. Give your dick size or don't post.

Old 2003-06-23, 16:43
The Doctor
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

man, i drum for ages! I even think im better at playing the drums that playing the guitar(not)

the kid sucks, but i rule, so that's no problem

BTW my sticks are Hayman's. 2B's, i payed 4 euros for it and they're practicly unbreakable

Last edited by The Doctor : 2004-03-05 at 16:46.

Old 2003-06-24, 15:18
MeTalManiac555
Supreme Metalhead

Ok sweet. You said the kid sucks right? Well does that mean me? Because if so then damn you must be like Ms. Cleo dude because I do suck at drums. haha.

Old 2003-06-24, 16:23
artofnothing6
Supreme Metalhead

i use to play some real thick drumsticks (5B), till my friend let me borrow a pair of 7A's. Those kick ass, they're not heavy, they're not thick, you can play real fast without having to worry about the drumstick being to much weight to move real fast.

Old 2003-06-25, 09:12
The Doctor
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by MeTalManiac555
Ok sweet. You said the kid sucks right? Well does that mean me? Because if so then damn you must be like Ms. Cleo dude because I do suck at drums. haha.

no, the kit, or kid, the drumkit

Old 2003-06-25, 23:07
MeTalManiac555
Supreme Metalhead

Hah, yeah man, I knew what he mean't, I was just being sarcastic. But I do suck at drums though, but I don't care I will get better eventually (I hope).

Old 2004-01-23, 13:26
DrummerMom
New Blood

I play all different styles of music and use Vater Manhattan 7A's

Contest ends 8/31/06 !

Old 2004-03-03, 16:15
cobalt6700
New Blood

Talking

well im gunna be the odd one out here cos im english and u know wot were like, i use pearl plastic tip 7a stix and i have beat the shit from them and the still rock like hell. ohh yeh so u all know im not a crazy footy fan lol!

Old 2004-03-05, 00:51
HorraholicsAnonymous
New Blood

i used to have ahead 5B sticks. they were the best sticks i've had. but unfortunately i've lost them, but i still have the replaceable parts. i know their in my house somewhere but i cant find them

Old 2004-03-13, 19:05
Vargon
New Blood

I used JonnyRabb 5B hammertip (or somthing like that) and loved them since they were a little longer than vicf's 5b's. but, can't get jonny rabb sticks in norway anylonger, so I'm back on the vicf. 5B nylontip sticks.
Have heard some rumours about jonny rabb being closed down or something....is this true?????

Old 2004-03-13, 21:48
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by artofnothing6
i use to play some real thick drumsticks (5B), till my friend let me borrow a pair of 7A's. Those kick ass, they're not heavy, they're not thick, you can play real fast without having to worry about the drumstick being to much weight to move real fast.

since when were 5b's considered "real thick"?, i've always thought of them as average.

Old 2004-03-13, 21:58
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeTalManiac555
Alright man, thanks a lot. My friend said something about like putting a Remo head with the liquid in them for the snare because the Evans for snares suck. But he said for the toms and all put Evans, just not the Snare. But thanks again man!

your friend needs to get a clue. the 2 ply Evans st genera head with dry holes, is definately my choice of snare head, and i've played remos,aquarians, attacks, whatever, and i'm addicted to the evans.
as for toms, any two ply remos, evans or aquarians(currently using) will do for me.
and a super kick I,II, or III on any bassdrum, will make it sound great, even with nothing in it(pillows,foam, blankets, ect.).

Old 2004-05-16, 03:49
Seraphodin
New Blood

I just use 2ply pinstripes. They work fine for me and feel awsum. As for evans, it all depends on ur feel. Ive got sum friends that are addicted to em, but they just feel diferent compared to remos.

Old 2004-05-16, 13:48
Exodus666
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
i dont give shit about the brand, i just use wooden 2B's, fucking cheap and unbreakable

2Bs are great idd, although for faster drumming (blasts f.e.) I prefer smaller & thinner sticks.

Old 2004-05-16, 13:57
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

our drummer uses those ahead things, he got some new tips a while ago, you can unscrew them (you can also replace the plastic part)

they're heavy, they are big and they get launched out of your hands too fast.

our drummer broke 2 sticks an hour so thats why he got them, now he destroyed a couple of cymbals and yesterday he kicked through his bassdrum with his new iron cobra, ha!

yes, he's not really a subtle kinda guy.

Old 2004-06-28, 21:06
Poof Daddy
Senior Metalhead

he doesnt sound like a smart kinda guy either

Old 2004-06-28, 21:51
MeTalManiac555
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdislexicx
your friend needs to get a clue. the 2 ply Evans st genera head with dry holes, is definately my choice of snare head, and i've played remos,aquarians, attacks, whatever, and i'm addicted to the evans.
as for toms, any two ply remos, evans or aquarians(currently using) will do for me.
and a super kick I,II, or III on any bassdrum, will make it sound great, even with nothing in it(pillows,foam, blankets, ect.).

That was an old post but yeah man, a while back ago I got those Evans st Genera with dry holes in them. I fucking love the things too. I looked at those hydraulics or whatever that that kid was talking about and they are not good for hard hitters, they are shit. The guy at the store told me about these dry hole Evans and they are way better and the hydraulics suck ass. The toms I have are Evans as well.

Old 2004-06-30, 14:48
Slabbefusk
FUCKING HOFF-STYLE!!!!!!!

when i was drumming i used wincent 7b.

Old 2004-08-14, 05:39
SixfeetUnder420
Senior Metalhead

Those sticks suck just use some wood sticks i use the zildjian 2Bs with the rubber grip things where u hold them so ur stick doent fly out of ur hand

Old 2004-08-14, 15:58
MeTalManiac555
Supreme Metalhead

Screw the sticks with the grip shit on it. Learn to hold a stick right and practice and you shouldn't have the problem of them flying out of your hand.

Old 2004-08-14, 21:17
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

everyone suffers from sweaty hands now and again......

I use a variety of sticks, I have tried the carbo sticks (they were great until the ends broke, the rest of the stick is still being used) also the anti vibe sticks by zildjan, they were okay but not esp great, I used to use 2 bs to build up stamina and strength but I am still looking for a stick that suits my style.

Old 2004-08-29, 02:11
MetalDrummer
New Blood

I just got some Ahead 5A's today with replacement shafts and 4 tips....I played with them for around an hour and would KILL ANYONE THAT TRIED TO TAKE THEM.
Man I love them!
(I also got the Ahead grip tape, and that makes the best sticks even better.)

Old 2004-08-29, 06:14
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

yeah I am trying the AHEADS at the mo, if they are as good as they appear then I am sticking with them

Old 2004-08-30, 03:29
omdthrash
Metalhead

if you've got a problem with sweaty hands, some company (zildjian i think?) sell sticks with grips. there's like a black grip, which is just rubber, and a purple one which is kinda sticky rubber. i think they come in the popular sizes (7A, 5A,5B, 2B). i think zildjian also sells sticks that don't have finish on them, so there's more friction and less of a chance of them flying out of your hand.
and 7As are too small for metal. i use basically a 5B, which is a little above average size. its loud enough to project over guitars, and its got enough mass to bounce back from the drumhead fast enough to play fast blasts (i'm a geek for paying attention in physics class). a 7A isn't big enough to be heard (without tremendous effort anyway), and you'd be surprised at how little it bounces compared to a 5a/b. you'd also be surprised how easy it is to move around the kit with a 5b. very little difference from a 7a if you do it right.

Old 2004-08-30, 04:33
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

Yeah it is Zildjarn that do the black rubber on the sticks.

a mate of mine just had an old badminton grip around his sticks which seemed to work.

I use 5A and can play a perfectly fast blast beat and project myself over ANY guitar or bass as for 7A's they are okay, but a bit pussy if you ask me.

Old 2004-08-30, 17:41
tylertherobot
New Blood

I buy those Nova 7a sticks that Musicians Friend sells in bulk. For a 7a stick, they're fairly heavy, atleast a few grams heavier than Vic Firth 7as, but they're really solid sticks. I'm a very hard hitter, and that's rare to find with someone that plays with 7a sticks, but I've only had 2 sets break on me in the past 6 months (maybe that's a lot for some people, I don't know.) I play either very slow doom type stuff, or very fast blast beats (I don't know my BPMs)

As far as Heads go, I like my toms to sound dead, wtih hardly any ring to them, so I use Aquarian Batters and Generas on the bottoms of the toms (stay with me here) It creates a very unique sound, almost as if you're hitting a drum that has a trigger to change it's sound but not quite. For a snare head I use the black dot, with a normal drum head on the bottom (It's a 2-ply ATTACK tom head on the bottom of my snare, makes it sound deeper and the chain vibrate less) I've been looking at the heads with holes in them, what exactly do they do for the sound of the drum anyway?

Old 2004-08-30, 17:43
BOSE
Senior Metalhead

I used to use huge sticks like the 5B and 2B but they I realized how much faster I can go with a thinner stick. I use the Vic Firth 747's, they are basically 7A's that are like an inch or so longer, and they are great, fast as fuck and really great balance. You don't need a huge drum stick to be loud at least if you are even semi-decent at the drums.
You kinda have to expect a drum stick to break even the 'unbreakable' ones, I don't really see why you'd shell out like 30-40 dollars for a drumstick that is going to break.

And fuck them Ahead sticks they are for fags in bands like Metallica and Slipknot.

Old 2004-08-30, 18:01
tylertherobot
New Blood

747s?? Where can I order some of those? I'd like to try them. I just buy the Nova sticks cause it's a dozen pairs for 30.00

Old 2004-08-30, 18:25
MetalDrummer
New Blood

Quote:
And fuck them Ahead sticks they are for fags in bands like Metallica and Slipknot

That was about the most moronic thing I've read in a while.
The Ahead sticks are not just for them....they are for people that like the sticks and can afford them.
Maybe mommy will boost your allowance and you can get some one day.

Last edited by MetalDrummer : 2004-08-30 at 18:33.

Old 2004-08-30, 19:56
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

Vic Firth 5 B. I can't stand smaller sticks, and 5 A plain bug me.

Old 2004-08-31, 05:31
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

Joey Jordison of the slipknot fame would slaughter most 'true' metal drummers.

I have the AHEAD Joey signatures and so far they are good sticks.

Old 2004-08-31, 08:20
tylertherobot
New Blood

I agree, the slipknot drummer is amazing. and I'd actually like the band if their singer wasn't so .

I saw them a couple years ago when I was like 12 with a few friends of mine on some little tour thingy they were doing (before their s/t came out) and I was watching them and one of my older friends turned and said "You see those guys? They're gonna be fucking huge"

Old 2004-08-31, 20:07
BOSE
Senior Metalhead

Oh trust me I can afford those gay sticks just fine, pretty stupid of you to comment on my financial situation when you really don't know. I just think those sticks are gay.
Joey is an ok drummer, but I gaurantee I can lay him to waste his drum sticks are of no relavence to how good he is.
You can get the 747's at just about any drums store who is a dealer of Vic Firth sticks. I buy tons of these and the guys at the drum shop I go to know me very well know so the give me deals cause I've dropped over $1800 in gear over the last 2 years.

But bottom line is Joey and his sticks are gay and so are them meaty sticks.

Old 2004-09-01, 06:01
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

I never said that drum sticks make a drummer.

but they appear to be nice sticks, it could be that they will break in 5 days etc. I am still finding out, but they feel good and that is what counts. as to laying waste to Joey, I think he would probably kick your arse, unfortunately we will never know until we could get him to give you a drum off, which I doubt will happen anytime soon.

Old 2004-09-01, 18:03
BOSE
Senior Metalhead

Uhh.......I doubt Joey could kick my arse. My double bass schools him and so do my fills so I would lay him to waste.

(edit: drumswise and in a physical fight Joey is almost as big as my little brother.)

Old 2004-09-02, 05:29
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

haha yeah joey is a bit of a midget!!!!

but as I hinted at and I will now say blatantly, the stuff he does in slipknot is only a small proportion of his playing, he used to play in Anal blast and is a very talented Jazz drummer.

but then I do not know what kind of sick stuff you MIGHT be playing in your spare time,

Old 2004-09-02, 15:13
BOSE
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ black metal drumm
haha yeah joey is a bit of a midget!!!!

but as I hinted at and I will now say blatantly, the stuff he does in slipknot is only a small proportion of his playing, he used to play in Anal blast and is a very talented Jazz drummer.

but then I do not know what kind of sick stuff you MIGHT be playing in your spare time,

WHAT??? Joey was in Anal Blast??? That's pretty cool, I guess you can learn something new everyday.
I mostly play metal, but I love fusion, but mostly play metal.