MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2009-05-16, 04:42
widdlywhaa
Metalhead

Building a new rig(detailed needs)...... Thoughts?

K so I quit my band and m going back to music school but I knw after school when I'm looking for work I'm gonna need good gear, so i'm gonna bust my ass to build a good rig beforehand.

Now I'm gonna need maximum versatility cause there are a few studios around here I've talked to about working at.

so I was thinking.......
(rack)
power conditioner
Modeler/preamp(a good modeler or flexile preamp really)
EQ
poweramp(Tube or SS just something Reliable, nothing hella loud I don't think I'll be doing the band thing again for a while)
------->
Avatar G412 w/celestion G12T75's

any thoughts or suggestions?

Old 2009-05-16, 13:46
Arsis
Supreme Metalhead

Are you set on rack?

Old 2009-05-16, 17:10
widdlywhaa
Metalhead

pretty much; a good head would be nice for simplicity's sake but rack gear gives me more options and again flexibility i feel.

Old 2009-05-22, 09:36
Soeru
Post-whore

Looks like we have a common goal, I'm also thinking of building a rack setup that can do absolutely everything, I'm tired of having to have a 2-channel amp with a billion fx pedals to get the sounds I want.

If you have the bling for an axe-fx I'd say get it. If not, I strongly suggest the digitech gsp1101(over all the other rack pod stuff, it's way better), just look at what this thing can do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv5xFLl9OzE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_178FCXd4WM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDbVTPW-MsU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6_gMX8eEk8

Pretty insane, I'm actually drooling over it. The original footswitch is a bit expensive though, but it works with generic footswitches and expression pedals too.

As for poweramps keep an eye on ebay for Mosvalve(solid state), Hafler(SS), or Peavey Classic (tube) poweramps, they're easy to find(in America) and go for extremely cheap.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2009-05-25, 20:07
widdlywhaa
Metalhead

Yeah I've been drooling over the AXE-FX for sometime now but I just don't think i could get the money for one. I will look into the 1101 though.

I've seen a lot of the Mosvalve power amps on ebay and similar sites Has anyone had any actual experiences with them. they seem solid enough.

Old 2009-05-29, 09:23
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Randall MTS stuff... You can get a preamp + poweramp setup, or get one of the heads or combos. I had an RM100 and 6 modules for a little while. It all sounded good to me. There are tons of different modules. You could have 3 modules in at once and they take about 10 seconds to swap out. It's midi to boot... Not crazy expensive. Just about the price of a normal nice tube head.

If you've got deep pockets you could even step up to the Egnater version.