MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2009-03-06, 17:59
911 Taxi
New Blood

BBE SONIC MAXIMIZER

Does anyone know if the BBE sonic maximizer is worth the $.
I would run it through my Mesa Triple Rec.

Like my last post, my equip:

Jackson sl2

Gibson les paul

MXR 10 band eq

various BOSS pedals

Thanks

Old 2009-03-07, 07:34
the_bleeding
Post-whore

It is not worth the money. Basically it makes it sound like you have an afghan carpet laying over your cab. You lose mids, and become lost in the mix.

What it is supposed to do is fix some phase problems that speakers have when running on the edge of their operating capacity, essentially to put back what is lost. However, you will only ever very rarely get close to operating speakers near capacity (unless you use greenbacks), and even then, it still scoops mids.

Just dial in your EQ right.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2009-03-07, 15:01
911 Taxi
New Blood

HEY BLEED!!

OK Well, I do like the idea of setting up the eq better anyway. I've finally made some breakthroughs on this amp and eq setup. I thought I was pretty savy from my years of messin' with amps, but the triple rec humbled me some. Anyway, do you have any tips to help me better understand how to eq? In that I mean what I can brush up on or study as far as my sliders go when setting the eq? I'm not looking for settings, but I'm finally getting it as far as set up. For example, I took your advice and took all the bass out of the front end and put in back in the eq and set the sliders no greater than 6db. I gotta say, you helped a brutha out with that. It improved my tone significantly. I understand the mids issues and what I want as far as that goes, but I want to get a better understanding on the bass and treble eq sliders, and what I need to add or subtract. Telling me (just mess with it) hasn't been helpful. But following some simple rules like the one you suggested for how I eq the bass was a huge help. BTW, my TR has a parallel loop.

Thanks man

Old 2009-03-13, 05:48
the_bleeding
Post-whore

parallel loop wont give you as much sculpting as a series loop, but its still enough .
You'll just have your dry signal in the background, but you could definately play off of it and get 2 awesome tones in parallel! I used to do it with my marshall and MXR until my delay decided it hated parallel loops.

Anyway. The problem with rectifiers is that they ahve a verry strange EQ system. You may notice that the gain goes up when you turn the treble up . And also may notice that your tone controls lose responsiveness if your gain goes up too high, or if your eq knobs go up too high. Now i'm not sure how to dial in a rectifier, but i know some people who do, and i'll ask them and see what i get. What i do know is that some people complain about not having enough usable highs on the rectifiers - finding them either too muddy or too trebley. So what i'd do is set the treble to taste on the amp, and then add in or take out what you want with your sliders. For example if you love the high treble, but it just has a bit of fizz you dont like, lower the 16khz (or whichever) slider and take er out. I run my treble high enough for clarity, but i get fizz, so i run my 16khz at like -2dB. Less fizz gives a placebo effect of making it feel MUCH thicker. I love it.

Now what i am guna say is that you should take the time to turn each slider, one by one, all the way up, and all the way down. That way you can get a feel of what each one does . And i'm sure you have an idea of the tone in your head, so you should definately go for that. But to stay in the mix, you have to remember not to take out all of your mids. Since the rec is a low mid oriented amp, you may want to boost some high mids (basically the ones to the right of the centre).

Now, for taking out the bass up front, i HIGHLY recommend a tubescreamer type pedal like a ibanez ts808, ts9, or maxon od808, or od9, or even a digitech badmonkey. i'll say though, that the ibanez and maxon pedals are quite a bit more expensive, but there is a night and day difference between them at high volumes. Badmonkey sounds amazing in your bedroom, but when you gig it, it sounds like crap in comparison to the TS's and OD's. The idea way to run such a pedal would be to set the EQ to 0 (or to preference on the monkey), and send the overdriev to about 20%, and the volume/balance between 70-90%. It will cut a tad of the super low bass making your attack tighter, as well as adding gain. Therefore you can turn your gain knob down and get more responsiveness out of your amp's eq
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2009-03-13, 17:10
Arsis
Supreme Metalhead

Pretty interesting stuff, I could read anything you manage to type down about gear, The Bleeding.

Old 2009-03-14, 08:16
the_bleeding
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsis
Pretty interesting stuff, I could read anything you manage to type down about gear, The Bleeding.

man i'm such a nerd. Sometimes its embarrassing hahahha.

and sorry i'm not here that often. The gear forum just is so rarely updated.

Old 2009-03-16, 14:49
911 Taxi
New Blood

THX BLEED

I appreciate the info Bleed. Pls let me know what yer buddies say about the rec's, that would be awesome. It's been sick unlocking the tones on this amp. They're in there, but you have to be a gearhead to get them out.

Old 2009-03-20, 00:40
the_bleeding
Post-whore

The biggest tip i can give you about rec's is to close your eyes and dial it. The eq is stupid, and the regular labels of "bass, mid, treble" are misleading. My buddy said he would rename them girth, body and sharp.

Another fun thing, keep the FX loop empty (nothing plugged in), and experiment turning "send" or "receive" to full. I'm not sure which one is supposed to be, but one of them will seriously thicken your amp... but only when theres nothing in the loop haha. Try it.