MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2008-11-07, 22:43
St.Nice Person
New Blood

shure sm58 vs shure c606

So I have a friend of mine who is looking for a microphone, It has to be able to handle guttural vocals. I have done some searching and come up with the c606 and the sm58. Are there any massive differences between the both of them other than £60? any help would be great. I've seen alot of reviews but they are not tailored to death metal vocals did a search of the forums and didn't find anything to useful. Any other mic options would be cool.

cheers

Old 2008-11-08, 21:34
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

I can't say anything about the c606 as I've never worked with it or heard much about them, but you can't go wrong with 58s. Very versitile and can handle a lot of abuse and bring out a lot or ranges well. I've recorded all kinds of metal vocal styles (screams, growls, yells, hardcore) as well as clean and it I have no complaints.
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Old 2008-11-09, 07:50
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

The EV RE510 is also one of the best vocal mics I have ever heard for both live and recording. In fact, it smokes those other two and I own a lot of mics. I'm about to sell a few of them on Ebay including that one and maybe my Audio Technica AT4060. I need cash to fuel my gear whorism!

Old 2008-11-09, 11:31
Amadeus
Quantum.

SM58 is a good mic for the money, there's a reason it's been around so long.
But to say something, Shure came out with a new mic called Beta58 a year or so ago (I think) and to my mind it's better, I have it myself. It was my favorite after quite a bit of testing around, though I only do clean vocals so I can't speak for the gutturals.

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

"Imagination is more important than intelligence" - Einstein

Old 2010-12-10, 20:47
krisowow
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
SM58 is a good mic for the money, there's a reason it's been around so long.
But to say something, Shure came out with a new mic called Beta58 a year or so ago (I think) and to my mind it's better, I have it myself. It was my favorite after quite a bit of testing around, though I only do clean vocals so I can't speak for the gutturals.

IMO sm58's are your most stock standard average mic, neither good, nor bad. Its just meh. Rode m1's are pretty good, despite people saying its pretty much an sm58 with the rode label on it, from personal use of both, i disagree. Rode m1's belt out a mad bassy sound to what ever vocals your doing, for deathcore/metal or even hardcore i'd go with the rode m1 if you got a tight budget.

Old 2010-12-10, 22:44
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

I've never used a Rode M1, but who the hell would want a mic that adds a ton of bass?
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Old 2010-12-11, 03:11
krisowow
New Blood

Not a ton, like it gives your lows that airy bassy noise much like you hear in whitechapels vocalist, i dont know how to explain the sound, its like you growl into it, then an sm58 and the growl comes out deeper and sexy in the rode, idk man, just judging by use lol