MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone

Old 2008-11-02, 02:44
Scott13
New Blood

Recommend a book with begining to play rythem guitar?

I want to play thrash/death metal but I like a good starting point. I know alot of scales and chords but what is a good book or 2 how to play rythem guitar for death/thrash? Even a book that explains notes too is very helpful. I found this one called the burning metal and I was thinking about tha one, so I thought I ask you guys first. Thanks alot!

Old 2008-11-02, 08:44
Nemesis9
Metalhead

i always liked the troy stetina books. there are also two for rhythm guitar ("heavy metal rhythm guitar" I&II). they are basically written for beginners - not much theory, but explainations of the most important techniques and lots of stuff to play and practise. afterwards you should be able to play the rhythm parts of most trash metal stuff if it's not extremly technical. not sure, if this is what you're looking for though.

Old 2008-11-06, 21:56
tripton
New Blood

go get some tabs of slayer songs on the internet. their stuff from the 1980's is a good place to start - simple, good thrash metal that is fast, but not too fast.

the first metal songs I started on were Dead Skin Mask (because it was one of the slower but thrashy Slayer songs) and Season in the Abyss (its a good practice song for an introduction to downpicking and builds up endurance if you are a novice at it).

Some of the modern death metal stuff requires such fast speed that it is really frustrating when you are getting started... So don't get too frustrated. start with the basics and keep pushing yourself.

Old 2009-02-20, 13:54
AbortionSmoothie
New Blood

Just get tabs man. Its the quickest way to get there. If you want to learn about the notes/music, check out the Grimoire books. Technique? check out Petrucci's Rock Discipline book. Sepultura's Arise is a good cd to start learning. Carcass and Death are good places to start also.